Page 94 of 137 FirstFirst ... 45859293949596103 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 6807

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island

Thank you and yes i have peace
    I hope TJ you are doing okay today cant imagine the memories of this day sit well with you, so a big virtual hug to you xx
    Last edited by Mysticakasha; 02-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Cowgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tjh960 View Post
    Yes thats correct noelle IMHO he's half right a lot of the families wanted to forget that night and begin healing and the rest wanted answers ...so he (the judge) chose the easy path needless to say..the fire was 57yrs in the making.so it would have been a long trial..as far as the goverment side of the story that's a difficult call for me I wasn't in the loop
    57 years? OK now I am curious about that number.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    57 years? OK now I am curious about that number.

I'm guessing he meant 67 years.The Station was built in 1946.

oldjamesy Guest
    As a professional courtesy , I will offer the following :

2003 - 57 = 1946

Now , back to regularly scheduled programming already in progress .

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    I'm guessing he meant 67 years.The Station was built in 1946.

smk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nozyoldbroad View Post
    Read the article out this week that LLC posted about Missy Minor and her friend Kerrie Rock-Hull:
    http://www.cranstononline.com/storie...b_type=stories

While it was a great photo of the two of them, I was surprised to see the caption under the photo--it said “Missy Minor (right) and Kerrie Rock-Hull were in The Station the night of the fire. Luckily, they both made it out safe.” I'm wondering if they were in a rush to meet an anniversary deadline...

Because in another article a couple months after the fire it mentions Missy had 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her arms and hands, with a 2-week stay in the hospital:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/us...ted=all&src=pm

Maybe "safe" means "alive" to that journalist.
    Thank you for pointing this out! It does indeed seem sloppy journalism to now fail to mention the degree of the serious injury. A gap in their research, for sure.

nozyoldbroad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjamesy View Post

2003 - 57 = 1946

LOL. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    Thank you for pointing this out! It does indeed seem sloppy journalism to now fail to mention the degree of the serious injury. A gap in their research, for sure.
    Well, maybe it's a testament to how well she's healed that the journalist didn't know the extent of her injuries. In any case, great to see them both happy and smiling.

AmericanBraziian Guest
    Im really bothered by the fact that with so many Cable channels that do 1001 Documentaries on every imaginable topic and particularly disasters...there isnt 1 channel, be it Nat Geo, History, LC etc... that has done anything that I know of on a fire that killed 100 Americans. You would think on the 10 aniversary something would have been produced for one of those channels.

Quote Originally Posted by oldjamesy View Post

2003 - 57 = 1946

LOL. ;D

Thanks for correcting the math. 1,900 posts & only 2 mistakes says hello. ";D"

smk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    Just thought I'd post this image from the Facebook page; it looks lovely:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StationFireMemorialPark.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	45577
    Bringing this image forward so I can add this snippet from a CBS piece about the planned Memorial Park.

I think the idea is beautiful; you can see how lovely it will be in their image, and I like this write-up, also:

Survivors and victims’ relatives still tend to the land. After storms, they plow snow from the parking lot and right the crosses that dot the site, many of which are made out of floorboards salvaged from the club’s remains. The Station Fire Memorial Foundation in September secured the land for a permanent memorial after a yearslong effort.

The group will soon ask families to come remove any items they wish to keep. Then, they will gather up what’s left and surround the site with chain link fencing, and construction will start. The left-behind mementos will be entombed beneath what is now the parking lot. Workers will not dig on the site itself for fear of disturbing human remains.

When the memorial is finished in a year or two, people will be able to stop by and read about The Station fire on Feb. 20, 2003. One hundred years from now, people will still know what happened here.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/2...ightclub-fire/

nozyoldbroad Guest
    Thanks for posting the Facebook plans, smk. Looks beautiful.

Hi, new member here. I wanted to post out of respect for those who lost their lives 10 years ago today. I am currently reading the Killer Show book (from my local library) and it is a captivating read. This tragedy in a way hits close to home, because I fit the demographic of those who died there. I am from a different part of the country as Rhode Island, but hair metal bands are/were my favorite music and I often go see bands in clubs. I have played drums in the type of so-called "tribute bands" that are described with somewhat amused derision in the book. So I understand the lifestyle of that scene perfectly, and as I read about the fire victims, I realize it could easily have happened to me.

Will post more later.

Peace,
    Ken

nozyoldbroad Guest
    Originally Posted by oldjamesy

2003 - 57 = 1946

2003 - 57 = 1946

Quote Originally Posted by nozyoldbroad

LOL. ;D
    LLC, don't take it too seriously. I'm a former math teacher, and I still need a calculator. (And I haven't bothered counting, but I'd be willing to bet I've made more than two mistakes in just 86 posts...that's what y'all are here for--to check up on me! ;D)
    Last edited by nozyoldbroad; 02-20-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Mistakes...what else?? ;)

smk Guest
    Thanks for posting the Facebook plans, smk. Looks beautiful.
    Most welcome. Yes, I agree, and am so happy it is moving forward now.

phreddy Guest
    hello LLC and LAC, that is me with Nancy at the bar. When the show started she went toward the stage and I was to meet her. I waited for my friend Mel to come out of the men's room, which never happened. I spent time with her after she was released from the hospital. She's a wonderful, strong woman. Heard she recently married. be well everyone

tjh960 Guest
    LLC, don't take it too seriously. I'm a former math teacher, and I still need a calculator. (And I haven't bothered counting, but I'd be willing to bet I've made more than two mistakes in just 86 posts...that's what y'all are here for--to check up on me! ;D)
    Sorry I punched the 5 instead of the six...I have a bad habit of clicking post before i spot check myself...sorry

Did you guys happen to catch American Dad Sunday night (if you're not familiar, it's a cartoon created by Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy fame on FOX)? I don't know if it was just a cruel coincidence or what - but there is a scene where Steve, the youngest child of the family, is at a doughnut shop filled with a bunch of overweight individuals. As he's at the booth eating his doughnuts, in hopes of becoming big himself, a larger man walks in with his thighs chaffing, which then cause his pants to catch fire and, in a panic, he rips 'em off and throws them toward the front of the shop ... setting it ablaze.

All the fat people then get up and crazily wander toward the front entrance, where they bottleneck and can't get out because of their weight. The shop fills with smoke as Steve, the only skinny person there, notices a small hole between the group of men and women trapped at the front door trying desperately to push outside the shop as the fire blazes. He slips on through, gets outside, they scream for him to get help, he does find a phone ... but then gets sidetracked doing something else and the final scene is him walking away from the blaze to horrible screams as these people burn alive.

It was sickening. Everything about the scene felt like a parody of The Station. I don't know if that's what they intended, but with it so close to the 10 year anniversary, you'd think someone would've stepped in and said, "Guys, wait a minute..." - especially considering MacFarlane, who has less input on this show than Family Guy, is from Rhode Island.

I'll go search the internet to see if there is video. But when that scene unfolded, I became sick to my stomach. It was awful - especially the added screams of the people burning up in the doorway.

LAC90028 Guest
    omg, that's disgusting, SLCer. I don't watch his shows, but now it makes me want to boycott the Oscars since he's hosting.

nozyoldbroad Guest
    A sobering blog post by a Providence fire-fighter...

http://rescuingprovidence.com/2013/0...-ago/#comments

LAC90028 Guest
    Out of respect for the victims, survivors and their loved ones, I'm refraining from the picture ID project today, the 10th anniversary of The Station Nightclub Fire. This is simply a day to reflect on how this tragedy changed the lives of each and every person there that night.

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    Just putting out a RIP for all the Station victims today. I've heard it mentioned on several talk/news radio stations I listen to and that made me happy that it's being acknowledged.

nozyoldbroad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tjh960 View Post
    Sorry I punched the 5 instead of the six...I have a bad habit of clicking post before i spot check myself...sorry
    No need to apologize, TJ...your 57 was correct--besides, that was Oldjamesy's catch of another poster's mistake. (I'm just the math teacher that missed it.)
    Last edited by nozyoldbroad; 02-20-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: clarity

viridescence Guest
    I've had a tough time reading this thread lately. I understand the motivation and need to ID everyone from the video but I just can't look at that aspect of it, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasdawn View Post
    I read a report someone posted about a study done, and how many groups there were with how many people that had been in their group the night of the fire. I wish I could find that report again. It was a study on the long term emotional effects on the survivors I believe.
    Hey dallasdawn, are you thinking of this one? The Long-Term Impact of Physical and Emotional Trauma: The Station Nightclub Fire

tjh960, welcome and know our thoughts are with you always. Thank you for sharing.

May those who lost their lives rest in peace. Healing thoughts to all who were forever changed by that night 10 years ago.

LAC90028 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    I've had a tough time reading this thread lately. I understand the motivation and need to ID everyone from the video but I just can't look at that aspect of it, myself.
    Sorry you feel that way, viridescence. But given the name of this forum and the titles we are assigned, it's a natural progression for those of us who are active in this thread to want to know more about these individuals, and also to reflect on where they were when the fire broke out and how it affected them. Since the studies don't provide that information, the IDs are our basis for understanding and for the most part, we try to handle it with sensitivity for the victims, survivors and their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCer View Post
    Did you guys happen to catch American Dad Sunday night (if you're not familiar, it's a cartoon created by Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy fame on FOX)? I don't know if it was just a cruel coincidence or what - but there is a scene where Steve, the youngest child of the family, is at a doughnut shop filled with a bunch of overweight individuals. As he's at the booth eating his doughnuts, in hopes of becoming big himself, a larger man walks in with his thighs chaffing, which then cause his pants to catch fire and, in a panic, he rips 'em off and throws them toward the front of the shop ... setting it ablaze.

All the fat people then get up and crazily wander toward the front entrance, where they bottleneck and can't get out because of their weight. The shop fills with smoke as Steve, the only skinny person there, notices a small hole between the group of men and women trapped at the front door trying desperately to push outside the shop as the fire blazes. He slips on through, gets outside, they scream for him to get help, he does find a phone ... but then gets sidetracked doing something else and the final scene is him walking away from the blaze to horrible screams as these people burn alive.

It was sickening. Everything about the scene felt like a parody of The Station. I don't know if that's what they intended, but with it so close to the 10 year anniversary, you'd think someone would've stepped in and said, "Guys, wait a minute..." - especially considering MacFarlane, who has less input on this show than Family Guy, is from Rhode Island.

I'll go search the internet to see if there is video. But when that scene unfolded, I became sick to my stomach. It was awful - especially the added screams of the people burning up in the doorway.

That is pretty crummy. There have been other shots at The Station victims from Stevie O and Tosh O. I am especially embarassed about Tosh O because he and I went to the same high school.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

LAC90028 Guest
    Remembering Dale Latulippe of Carver, MA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victim Dale Latulippe.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	45580 Dale L. Latulippe was a rock 'n' roll drummer, described by a friend as being such a "showman" he once broke his ankle doing a flip over his drums — and then got up and kept on playing.
    "His ability to entertain a crowd was unbelievable," said the friend and former bandmate, Peter Skaltsis, who had played with Latulippe all over the South Shore. "He tried to make everybody around him happy all the time."
    His wife, Maria Latulippe, said her husband, who was 46, had been in several bands and went to see many live shows. The couple lived in Carver with their 7-year-old son, Dustin.
    "He had so many friends, he was funny, he was witty, he had a great personality, he always was laughing, he was always busy."
    Latulippe, who was originally from Rockland, also owned a car dealership, Cranberry Auto Sales in Wareham, but his passion was music.
    Skaltsis said Latulippe had played in opening bands for several famous acts, including James Brown. "Dale was a phenomenal drummer," he said. "He was very admired, he was extremely, extremely talented."
    http://www.boston.com/news/packages/...dlatulippe.htm

From a young age, he loved drums. He was banging out a staccato beat before he could walk. He used to bang spoons on the table, said his father, Donald Latulippe, of Randolph, Mass.
    "Like Mozart played the piano at 3, he played drums," he said.
    Father and son had different tastes. Dad loved classical. Dale loved rock and wore his hair long, even at age 46.
    "He wore his hair long, which we tried to fight many times." Did he ever win? "Never."
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pro...?pid=162748412

Dale Latulippe, 46 and the father of one, is visible in the eerie footage of the fire shot by TV cameraman Brian Butler, a friend of Mr. Latulippe's. Though he owned West Wareham's Cranberry Auto Sales, playing drums was his passion, and there he was at the concert, grooving near the stage and looking, as his friends like to say, more than a bit like Rod Stewart.
    He attended the concert with a couple of friends, including Marlene Raphael of Freetown, who survived the fire. His wife, Maria, was home in Carver watching their 7-year-old son, Dustin, when Mr. Latulippe, called from his cell phone on his way to The Station.
    "He said, 'I love you, bye,' and that was it," she said, replaying the words in her mind. "That was the last time I spoke to my husband."
    He had strong relationship with his father Donald, a career radioman who used to work at WRKO. Something of a live wire, Dale once stopped by his dad's station to surprise him -- dressed up, alongside a group of friends, like the band Kiss, replete with full makeup and skin-tight pants.
    http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...cid=sitesearch

VIDEO
    Filmed in the 80's. A one song demo video put together by Dale Latullipe at a local studio. Dale was a New England Rock Drummer who was killed in the station fire. I thought many of his friends would like to see Dale again doing what he loved.
    If you knew Dale, leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.
    We miss him greatly. Godspeed Dale.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1OZq9paBQ

oldjamesy Guest
    Hello back. Of course you couldn't see from your vantage point, but I was smiling when I typed that , and was hoping it would put a smile on your face as well. I can't resist an opportunity to be facetious .

Additionally, I think everyone could use a smile while obsessing about a somber topic.

Seriously though, give me about ten minutes, I'll skim through your other 1,899 posts and see if I can't find another mistake .

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    hello LLC and LAC, that is me with Nancy at the bar. When the show started she went toward the stage and I was to meet her. I waited for my friend Mel to come out of the men's room, which never happened. I spent time with her after she was released from the hospital. She's a wonderful, strong woman. Heard she recently married. be well everyone
    Hi Phreddy welcome to the FAD Forum hope today hasnt been too hard for you x

Hi phreddy. Welcome.

Lightbulb Still new to thread

Hi Everyone !

Still new to the site & thread. I've read every post and link for this thread.

First, I just wanted to say it is amazing how much effort and time all of you have put into this project of remembering The Station Nightclub fire. I am in awe.

Second, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and help a tiny bit with identifying people.

I am the one who originally posted about the pretty dark haired girl wearing the off the shoulder black sweater at the bar that we see early in the film. She sees the camera, smiles and gives the peace sign

I myself have done this exact same gesture a million times. When this fire occurred, my husband and I were still just dating. I can't even count how many times we went to some small club like the Stone Pony or some place even tinier to hear some random band play. So seeing this beautiful young girl beaming at the camera just before a horrific disaster is about to occur always pulled at my heart and made me wonder if she survived.

After reading countless articles on this fire, I think I have identified her. If its ok, I'd like to post my findings tomorrow
    Last edited by Aaaaaaaubs; 02-20-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

I think the Providence Journal on the Darby family is the best article yet. It was very touching and very real.

I sometimes worry about family member coming to this thread, however this is not a memorial thread. It is an information thread. The article mentions Matt's daughter Jessica going to online sites to get more information.

I am also giving Scott V. a pass today. But tomorrow it will start again.

Crazy Ohio weather has kept me (and my sinuses) off the thread for a bit. But there was no way I was going to miss posting today. So many thoughts going through my head about the fire and what was lost. I missed the stream of the dedication on Sunday, but I posted a message on the Fund's FB site:

"Congratulations on finally breaking ground at the site. Like many all over the country whose lives were touched by all of you and what you've gone through, I wish I could've been there on Sunday. Know that we were with you all in spirit. I look forward to seeing pics of the progress made in building the memorial. It's been a long time coming!"

I made that post as much from me as from all of us. I know many of us would have liked to have been there.

I'm also pleased to see tj posting on our thread. We've worried for a long time over how survivors would react to us talking about the fire. I'm glad you see there is no malice or sick morbitity in our talking about it. It's always been my belief that if you sweep something like this under the rug and don't learn from it, you're doomed to repeat it.

All my best to the survivors...always, but especially on this day. And to the families of the victims, I know your family members are looking down on you today.
    RIP 100 Angels
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Welcome phreddy and Dionysus to the thread. It has been a hard, strange day.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

R.I.P x 100 (T.T) plus the others after the fact

nozyoldbroad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    Crazy Ohio weather has kept me (and my sinuses) off the thread for a bit. But there was no way I was going to miss posting today. So many thoughts going through my head about the fire and what was lost. I missed the stream of the dedication on Sunday, but I posted a message on the Fund's FB site:

"Congratulations on finally breaking ground at the site. Like many all over the country whose lives were touched by all of you and what you've gone through, I wish I could've been there on Sunday. Know that we were with you all in spirit. I look forward to seeing pics of the progress made in building the memorial. It's been a long time coming!"

I made that post as much from me as from all of us. I know many of us would have liked to have been there.

I'm also pleased to see tj posting on our thread. We've worried for a long time over how survivors would react to us talking about the fire. I'm glad you see there is no malice or sick morbitity in our talking about it. It's always been my belief that if you sweep something like this under the rug and don't learn from it, you're doomed to repeat it.

All my best to the survivors...always, but especially on this day. And to the families of the victims, I know your family members are looking down on you today.
    RIP 100 Angels
    Beautifully put, Crimsonams. Thanks for putting it into words so well...I know you spoke for me with that post.

Sheebee--I, too, worry about family members coming onto this site...especially with the weird titles on here like "death hags"...(that almost kept me from joining up, as I'm not really into death, per se). I am into the human stories behind this tragedy--especially those of triumph over great odds, though I will admit to relating to some of the depressive responses as well. I hope that anyone coming to this thread who is connected to this story, personally, will know that this is a collection of pretty diverse individuals who may have their individual reasons for taking an interest...but the common thread is love, and utter dismay that their lives were so needlessly traumatized.

One more blogpost, a simple one:

http://dr8wn8ndqu8rtered.wordpress.c...-we-learned-2/
    Last edited by nozyoldbroad; 02-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.

nozyoldbroad Guest
    PS. Welcome Phreddy (V.??). And Dionysus.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ten-years-station-nighclub-fire-town-recovering-article-1.1269044

LAC90028 Guest
    It's great to see new posters here! Welcome phreddy, dionyzus, tralrtrsh4evr, AmericanBraziian and Aaaaaaaubs! Thank you for joining our little community of people who haven't forgot about The Station Nightclub Fire. And please keep in mind that for newly registered users, your first 10 posts won't show up immediately, so don't feel bad if it's not acknowledged right away <3.

LAC90028 Guest
    phreddy, thank you soooo much for sharing this with us. I'm so sorry that you lost your buddy Mel. It's good to hear that Nancy came through and has a new love, that's sweet. We're here to listen if you want to share anymore about that night or the days (years) after.

Mr International Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post

RIP 100 Angels
    I actually read that and thought it might have been someone from this thread, ha.

Mr International Guest
    Beautifully put, Crimsonams. Thanks for putting it into words so well...I know you spoke for me with that post.

Sheebee--I, too, worry about family members coming onto this site...especially with the weird titles on here like "death hags"...(that almost kept me from joining up, as I'm not really into death, per se). I am into the human stories behind this tragedy--especially those of triumph over great odds, though I will admit to relating to some of the depressive responses as well. I hope that anyone coming to this thread who is connected to this story, personally, will know that this is a collection of pretty diverse individuals who may have their individual reasons for taking an interest...but the common thread is love, and utter dismay that their lives were so needlessly traumatized.

One more blogpost, a simple one:

http://dr8wn8ndqu8rtered.wordpress.c...-we-learned-2/
    Yea the whole death hag thing is not me. I was initially very put off by it and didn't intend to join the site, but this thread hooked me. I have learned more from this thread than any of the other sources combined, including Killer Show.

Given the nature of this tragedy, would it be in poor taste to light a candle in memory of the 100 angels?
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Given the nature of this tragedy, would it be in poor taste to light a candle in memory of the 100 angels?
    It would be lovely, AW.

It would be lovely, AW.
    Thanks, LLC.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Mr International View Post
    Yea the whole death hag thing is not me. I was initially very put off by it and didn't intend to join the site, but this thread hooked me. I have learned more from this thread than any of the other sources combined, including Killer Show.
    I agree. To me, this thread is about the lives these people led and the survivors/family they left behind. I hope we have shown respect & love along this journey.

Mr International Guest
    I agree. To me, this thread is about the lives these people led and the survivors/family they left behind. I hope we have shown respect & love along this journey.
    Yes, and thank you for being a leader here. I can't believe it's about to hit the ten year mark in a few minutes. My mind keeps going back to what was happening that night. At this time they would've been playing Great Whites intro tape.

Cowgirl Guest
    Everybody who was there that night, all their families and friends, the first responders, all the medical personnel who helped, and all the other folks somehow connected to the Station have been in my thoughts and prayers all day. Know that you matter. Know that people are sending love and good wishes and strength for whatever you need to do next.

Elizabeth Guest
    Thinking and praying for all the victims and their families....

11:07. May we never forget the 100 lives lost, and countless lives changed forever. I know mine has...Remember The Station.

I had such a nice message in my inbox tonight. Another member asked me to leave a note for her here at 11:07 because she has to work in the morning & didn't want to miss the anniversary hour.

Prayers & love for the Station . We will never forget. 2/20/03- ChicagoBorn
    Last edited by LLC; 02-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Mr International Guest
    11:07. Gives me a sick feeling. Hope the families are sticking close together tonight. Just kissed my kid and hugged her extra tight.

Maiden22 Guest
    My heart and prayers goes out to all the victims and their families. Stay strong.