Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy Treadwell - The Grizzly Man

Lobsters Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    ah, come on, i want to be the gentle warrior.... stern samurai of bear love! can i at least name a few???
    You HAVE to name one Mr. Chocolate.

You guys have had me in stitches! gummi bears and Timmy the Poo. LMAO

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobsters View Post
    You HAVE to name one Mr. Chocolate.

You guys have had me in stitches! gummi bears and Timmy the Poo. LMAO
    we have a good time, no???

Yes, definitely will name one Mr Chocolate.... I am thinking also "Big Ole Bear", but it will really depend on how welcoming they are to me!

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    You have got to be f**kin' kidding me...

Doesn't CPR require Mouth to Mouth in some form ?
    Wait...I gotta go to the bathroom again...
    No need to stretch the truth or make up lies for a laugh when government manuals are around!

susalu Guest
    hmm hmm hmm... i am here in cody... no grizzly bears sighted yet!

Nowereman Guest
    No Earth tremors?

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    No Earth tremors?
    nope, nor any explosions of apocalytic proportions!!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I saw the documentary about this guy, and I've gotta say he had some really serious issues--borderline, if not full-blown, psychotic.
    Not to say his heart wasn't in the right place, I think it was, but wow was he out there, and kind of stupid and WAY too full of hubris, frankly.
    The ranger who was interviewed (at least I think he was a ranger) pretty much had it right, the guy got exactly what he was asking (begging?) for.

I feel much more sorry for his girlfriend (girlfriend??? hmmmm I think not, maybe a girl who was a friend, LOL), who definitely was not asking for what happened to her. I don't think Treadwell was acting at all responsibly in involving her that insanely dangerous situation. Poor woman, what a horrible way to die...

for the love of god, stay safe, su!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

magblax Guest
    we have a good time, no???

Yes, definitely will name one Mr Chocolate.... I am thinking also "Big Ole Bear", but it will really depend on how welcoming they are to me!

I read before that chocolate attracts bears. Apparently they love the stuff. In a book written for hikers to prevent bear attacks they warned of this as well as the bear's love for peanuts...Ironic that they found Snickers bars in Timothy Treadwell's tent after the attack.

onehunglow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    I read before that chocolate attracts bears. Apparently they love the stuff. In a book written for hikers to prevent bear attacks they warned of this as well as the bear's love for peanuts...Ironic that they found Snickers bars in Timothy Treadwell's tent after the attack.
    The bare facts! Maybe he should have had a crunch bar instead.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

for the love of god, stay safe, su!!
    I am safe now Finn... on the other side of the Bighorn Mountains in Sheridan WY... only black bears here... lol!!! I love the west and I love that I have a job that lets me go cool places, even if there are bears!

donetodeath Guest
    Did it say in the article that he would never carry a firearm,or was he not allowed to in that park?It could have been avoidable if he had a tranquilizer gun with him.It wouldn't have hurt the bear and they could have gotten away.If your gona play with fire expect to get fried!

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
    Did it say in the article that he would never carry a firearm,or was he not allowed to in that park?It could have been avoidable if he had a tranquilizer gun with him.It wouldn't have hurt the bear and they could have gotten away.If your gona play with fire expect to get fried!
    Tim was not allowed firearms in the park. He was supposed to be carrying bear spray, the most effective safest for everybody. It works better than even a real gun in practical use. Tim felt he couldn't be honest with the bears if he had bear spray in his pocket. REALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post
    Tim was not allowed firearms in the park. He was supposed to be carrying bear spray, the most effective safest for everybody. It works better than even a real gun in practical use. Tim felt he couldn't be honest with the bears if he had bear spray in his pocket. REALLY!
    Once again.... Darwin was right.

donetodeath Guest
    I'm sure honesty came into play while the bear was devouring him and her.
    i worked for year's in Tiger Island on the Gold Coast,people thought it was the best job in the world,it was because i managed the photographic department where you had you photo's taken with one of them.People forget that even though these animal's where hand raised,they are still wild by nature and can turn on you in a split second.

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    Once again.... Darwin was right.
    Rangers begged him to carry bear spray. Bear spray (and not all are equal) is a form of mace, but do NOT confuse them if you are packing a bag for bear country. The propellent and strength are different. From Tim's last letter:
    http://outside.away.com/outside/news...ll_letter.html

People who knowingly enter bear habitat with pepper spray, guns, and electric fences are committing a crime to the animals. They begin with the accepted idea of bringing instruments of pain to the animals. If they are that fearful, then they have no place in the land of this perfect animal.

Could I look at Dixon, Lilly, and their mother, Melissa, and tell them that I love them, that I will care for them, with a can of mace in my pocket? Does the fox or vole get zapped by the wicked sting of an electric fence for being curious?

donetodeath Guest
    i see what he is saying,but dixon,lilly and their mother are not going to eat him whole(that comment defy's logic).

Rangers begged him to carry bear spray. Bear spray (and not all are equal) is a form of mace, but do NOT confuse them if you are packing a bag for bear country. The propellent and strength are different. From Tim's last letter:
    http://outside.away.com/outside/news...ll_letter.html

People who knowingly enter bear habitat with pepper spray, guns, and electric fences are committing a crime to the animals. They begin with the accepted idea of bringing instruments of pain to the animals. If they are that fearful, then they have no place in the land of this perfect animal.

Could I look at Dixon, Lilly, and their mother, Melissa, and tell them that I love them, that I will care for them, with a can of mace in my pocket? Does the fox or vole get zapped by the wicked sting of an electric fence for being curious?
    Dumb. Very dumb. Thanks for the info!

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
    i see what he is saying,but dixon,lilly and their mother are not going to eat him whole(that comment defy's logic).
    Tim defied logic all around. I'm not defending him. Grizzly Man was one of the funniest movies I ever saw in my life! I giggled when Tim got it, but cried for the bear

I only happen to be a bear spray/gun/mace expert because I wanted something legal to knock out the muggers and originally (mistakenly) thought bear spray was what I was after. Nope, but it'll take down a bear if you get the right kind TIM and the bear will live to see tomorrow as will YOU
    Last edited by Belle; 12-08-2007 at 07:48 PM.

"Grizzly Diaries" is on Animal planet RIGHT NOW!

Belle Guest
    Animal Planet channel is airing Grizzly Man tonight, Sat Dec 29. Check your listings

KristinEileen Guest
    I hate to add to the hilarity but here goes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5jD1VONO4

sassie Guest
    TT reminds me of an older Chris Crocker.

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post

Oh, boy. I thought it was funny! Apparently a lot of people on YouTube aren't hag types, though. lots of offended people in the "How dare you!" vein.

I got sucked into watching parts of "Grizzly Man" while I was there as there were links. Aaargh! I think i was supposed to do housework today- no go!

Belle Guest
    Animal Planet channel is airing Grizzly Man tonight, Sat Dec 29. Check your listings

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post

oh the humanity!!!!

Robert Vesco Guest
    This is one of the most famous scenes from Grizzly Man:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvUpUY7Ysw&NR=1

Is it any wonder that almost everyone who sees the movie ends up rooting for the bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    This is one of the most famous scenes from Grizzly Man:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvUpUY7Ysw&NR=1

Is it any wonder that almost everyone who sees the movie ends up rooting for the bear?
    he was annoying. I wonder if he was tender or tough meat ???

KristinEileen Guest
    I find this little clip interesting....

In response to tough or tender...I think all of the bong water he was marinating in may have softened him up a bit...

Here is a comment from the youtube site that I found particularly funny...
    Timmy
    Yes Daddy
    You , son will never be shit !!

Look at me now Daddy !!! I'm steaming !!!

sick...lol

GrinReaper Guest
    Here's a youtube comment that I found and agree with in regards to Timothy Treadwill:

The government is shooting wolves, selling Americas wild horses for slaughter and trying to open the artic refuge for drilling. They do not care about wildlife, Tim did, he deserves respect.

Andrea Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Here's a youtube comment that I found and agree with in regards to Timothy Treadwill:

The government is shooting wolves, selling Americas wild horses for slaughter and trying to open the artic refuge for drilling. They do not care about wildlife, Tim did, he deserves respect.

He wound up causing the deaths of two bears --- and he tamed a wild fox. That's not helping the animals.......he was clearly in la-la land

Andrea

Harrietd Guest
    I haven't seen the docu but I think I'd have to watch it in a series of 2 min. clips. That's just about as much of his craziness as I can stand in one sitting. And I don't think it was about the bears, I think it was all about Timmy the Pooh.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    C'mon, sing along.... Timmy the Pooh, Timmy the Pooh.....

THAT is hysterical!

I've now seen "Grizzly Man", and I must say my opinion hasn't changed much. I think he meant well, and as the director (Werner Herzog) says, the bears brought him some sort of joy in his life, but I think, beyond the publicity he brought their preservation, I think he did some harm. He seemed to think he knew better than the native people of Alaska (as the one man commented on film), and he treated them like big children, which I found a little disturbing. Acclimating them to people and feeding them wasn't smart. ideally, bears should be given their space- which isn't happening sadly- and left the Hell alone.

lisalouver Guest
    I was reading the official police procedures for my city. I thought one was pointless and unnecessary. It instructs officers not to attempt CPR on torsos without a head attached. When I started yapping about how stupid it was to write that down in a procedures manual officers are required to memorize, my spouse informed me they put it in after some cop tried it. What a trooper! Gee, maybe if he were there Tim or his girlfriend could have been saved (or at least one torso or head.....)
    LOL.

I work as a death investigator and although I have not personally seen it myself, we use pictures when we teach and I was going through some slides the other day and found some of clearly decomposed bodies that the medics had attached defib pads or those sticky heart leads.

Gotta wonder about that...

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    LOL.

I work as a death investigator and although I have not personally seen it myself, we use pictures when we teach and I was going through some slides the other day and found some of clearly decomposed bodies that the medics had attached defib pads or those sticky heart leads.

Gotta wonder about that...
    Wow! I'm surprised by what both you and Belle say. I guess you often go on autopilot and do what you're trained to do, thinking: "Okay, somebody's down, I need to do CPR!" Seems like once you thought about it, though, you must realize how pointless the attempt is.

For some reason, the B film either "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" popped into my brain, where a scientist put his wife's head in a pan of blood and kept it "alive". lol! Even if they did manage to get the torso or head "revived" would that person want to exist in that state?! Well, the torso wouldn't be aware of much, would it?

Warmed Over Guest
    Timothy Treadwell was a great man who deserves to be respected. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go comb my wolverine's hair.

Darrianne Guest
    I watched the documentary for the first time last week. As honorable and well meaning as his intentions may have been, he came across and kooky and more than a little strange. Very childlike.

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    THAT is hysterical!
    This guy was two pints short of a quart,his elevator didn't go to the top. I watched the documentary and thought to myself "he's Bear food". Unfortunately these animals are wild and dangerous,that is why they are kept in Zoo's and other secure places when kept in captivity.Back some years ago on public television they ran a documentary called "Polar Bear Alert" I'm sure it is on video or dvd,it's about Polar bears who come in off the ice (which melts during summer months) in Hudson bay to a town called "Churchill" in Canada. Seems people try to avoid the bears,but also try to co-exist with them during the time the bears are there,sometimes they have to be shot because they invade homes looking for food,and they have been know to kill humans.It's there "Turf",if you are going to be near them without protection,(Gun,bear spray,tear gas) whatever,you are asking for trouble.

magblax Guest
    This is an interesting and extreme example of how humans project human qualities onto animals...I am one pot of coffee behind this morning so I can't think of the official scientific name for this (is it anamorphism?). A wild animal (bear) is not a person or cuddly Disney character. "Awwww, Mr. Brownie did a number 2." WTF??? Timothy was an exaggeration of a lot of animal lovers. Dogs are dogs and don't need little designer outfits, cats don't need siver bowls on pedestals, etc.

It's called Anthropomorphism. Never, ever, assume any animal has human traits. It will get you hurt or killed.

Lisamarie Guest
    I still wanna hear the death audio.....

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    I still wanna hear the death audio.....
    Yep.

Lisamarie Guest
    anyone find death audio yet??

Andrea Guest
    Apparently, the lady who owns it has it and has said she'll never release it. The ones on the Internet are all said to be fakes.

Lisamarie Guest
    Dammit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I saw the documentary about this guy, and I've gotta say he had some really serious issues--borderline, if not full-blown, psychotic.
    Not to say his heart wasn't in the right place, I think it was, but wow was he out there, and kind of stupid and WAY too full of hubris, frankly.
    The ranger who was interviewed (at least I think he was a ranger) pretty much had it right, the guy got exactly what he was asking (begging?) for.

I feel much more sorry for his girlfriend (girlfriend??? hmmmm I think not, maybe a girl who was a friend, LOL), who definitely was not asking for what happened to her. I don't think Treadwell was acting at all responsibly in involving her that insanely dangerous situation. Poor woman, what a horrible way to die...
    I agree... she probably trusted him and felt like it was safe

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Warmed Over View Post
    Timothy Treadwell was a great man who deserves to be respected. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go comb my wolverine's hair.
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banedon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I agree... she probably trusted him and felt like it was safe

And the fact that she trusted some middle-aged, out-of-work actor with obvious mental problems and an arguable deathwish is somehow entirely TREADWELL'S responsibility?

I'm sorry, but no. It is my opinion that neither one of these people 'deserved' the terrible fate that they received. But they were ultimately both responsible for it. She was an educated adult woman who made her own choices. He certainly didn't force her to go live amongst bears in the wilderness. That was a decision that she came to of her own volition.

If anything, she is MORE responsible than he is. Everyone seems to agree that Treadwell was an unhinged nutcase. This woman was, by all accounts, fairly sane. He was acting out some wild, romantic fantasy of anthropomorphism that was quite possibly rooted in delusions and some sense of megalomaniacal invincibility. She, on the other hand, merrily just followed along in his wake, knowing full-well that bears are dangerous animals.

The whole situation was an avoidable tragedy, but it is pretty unfair to try and exonerate her of all responsibility for her own fate.

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.