Page 1 of 39 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley

Elvis Presley

What are your thoughs on the death of Elvis? Scott did a great job with his entry on him on the site, but I'd like to know what people think. I happen to adore the man and was only seven when he died, but knew it was a big deal.
    We're all in agreeance that he's dead, right?
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 10-05-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: misspelling of a word

firegilnotguns Guest
    I definitely agree with you that he's definitely dead...I haven't actually met anyone yet who truly believes that he is alive still, but they must be out there!

Bake Guest
    He was the KING! I was a teenager when he died and still remember the day. Thats another stop I want to visit, Graceland. Yes, he is dead...I have not run across him at Burger King in Kalamazoo Michigan!! LOL

firegilnotguns Guest
    Man, I can't believe I lived in Tennessee for several years and never went to Graceland...I went to Memphis only once, for a concert, so I just drove in that night and left after the show...it was one of the things I always planned to do while living there and just figured I'd do it "eventually." Ah well, will definitely do it in the future!

Talking

I went to Graceland the last week of June this year. It's one of those places you have to see at least once in your life. I even have a photo of me next to his grave - had to get that!

Also while we were in Tennessee, we stopped by in Nashville to visit Tammy Wynette and Marty Robbin's graves - got photos there too!

Call me a ghoul - but it was cool!

dailyvault Guest
    As much as I believe that Elvis is dead, the picture of Elvis in his coffin almost looks like it is a painting. The image just doesn't seem lifelike (well, okay, deathlike), and seems like it's got too much softness to it. The link to the photo on the Enquirer front page looks a little more lifelike, but something still just doesn't seem right.

There has to be someone else who got shots of Elvis in the box who could verify how Elvis looked.

erin Guest
    poor elvis. i always felt sorry for the man. he was one of those celebs who was taken advantage of. col. parker really did a number on him. elvis nevr got to explore the his interest in different types of music, or even aspects of his personal life. i think elvis wasone of those who felt confined in his world, and resented it somehow. perhaps that's why he felt the need to escape into drugs, and i know that's why he turned to food.

point taken. But Parker did provide Elvis with an income of several million dollars, which softens the blow. Some people might invest in therapy

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I went to Graceland the last week of June this year. It's one of those places you have to see at least once in your life. I even have a photo of me next to his grave - had to get that!

Also while we were in Tennessee, we stopped by in Nashville to visit Tammy Wynette and Marty Robbin's graves - got photos there too!

Call me a ghoul - but it was cool!
    LOL you are NOT a ghoul ! I visit graves of the well known too!
    I've lived in Tn for 42 years and never been to Graceland...may do it someday..but I like his music and agree with Scott he needed therapy. I think his daughter does too lol

Ms. K Guest
    No, no, no Aries65, you are NOT a ghoul!

I, too, have visited Graceland. I would love to do a tour of Hollywood Forever and Forest Lawn, and other "local" cemeteries where the famous have been buried.

Graceland was such a cool place to visit. And, if you're sensitive to such, you can pick up on quite a bit of "activity" in the place.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    LOL you are NOT a ghoul ! I visit graves of the well known too!
    I've lived in Tn for 42 years and never been to Graceland...may do it someday..but I like his music and agree with Scott he needed therapy. I think his daughter does too lol
    Lisa Marie Presley definitely needs therapy.....the woman was married to Michael Jackson, for the sake of Sweet Jesus! If anyone needs therapy, it's someone who was married to Michael Jackson, and thought that was a good choice.....

relander Guest
    Elvis will live on forever in the hearts of true fans!
    Thank you for some great music!

LOL! Aries..you're NOT a ghoul! Death is a part of life and all of us on here embrace it instead of sweeping it under the rug and not talking about it. I've always been interested in things like this. Give me a juicy scandalous story over the classics anytime! Everyone is curious..that's why they call it "rubberneckin'"..(sorry, it IS an Elvis thread!)

candleinthewind Guest

Beat it! Thank you, thank you very much

If Elvis was alive he would have shown himself when Lisa Marie married Michael Jackson.

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    point taken. But Parker did provide Elvis with an income of several million dollars, which softens the blow. Some people might invest in therapy
    oh, ya, parker made elvis the icon he was, for sure. there's no doubt there. it just makes me mad/sad when someone is being used to such a dispicable degree. parker never cared for the person that elvis was, and only used him to make more money. for sure elvis needed therapy. who wouldn't with the life he led?

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    poor elvis. i always felt sorry for the man. he was one of those celebs who was taken advantage of. col. parker really did a number on him. elvis nevr got to explore the his interest in different types of music, or even aspects of his personal life. i think elvis wasone of those who felt confined in his world, and resented it somehow. perhaps that's why he felt the need to escape into drugs, and i know that's why he turned to food.
    He recorded and performed religious, r&b, rock, pop, country, contemporary music... and probably other genres I'm missing. What other types of music would he have covered? I mean I'm sure if he was still alive he would have teamed up with Eminem but that goes without saying
    Also, I think that Elvis had a well rounded career and died when it was his time to die, I know that isn't the popular vote but I'm sticking to it. Also, he trusted and valued Colonel Tom Parker... he wouldn't be the star he is known as today if it weren't for the Colonel (again my opinion).
    Last edited by Jason; 10-05-2007 at 09:23 AM.

MPetro108 Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dailyvault View Post
    As much as I believe that Elvis is dead, the picture of Elvis in his coffin almost looks like it is a painting. The image just doesn't seem lifelike (well, okay, deathlike), and seems like it's got too much softness to it. The link to the photo on the Enquirer front page looks a little more lifelike, but something still just doesn't seem right.

There has to be someone else who got shots of Elvis in the box who could verify how Elvis looked.
    I agree with you here... that picture always made me wonder. I use to wonder about his actually being dead, sorry but it's true, actually use to belong to a loop that spoke about nothing but his being alive and finding him. What can I say? Guess I really didn't want him to be dead... but to get back on track... I definitely believe you can feel Elvis' spirit when you visit Graceland... just walking into the house his presence is there and it's always very strong. Graceland was his escape and I believe that is where he has chosen to stay. Call me crazy it's ok, you won't be the first!!

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    He recorded and performed religious, r&b, rock, pop, country, contemporary music... and probably other genres I'm missing. What other types of music would he have covered? I mean I'm sure if he was still alive he would have teamed up with Eminem but that goes without saying
    Also, I think that Elvis had a well rounded career and died when it was his time to die, I know that isn't the popular vote but I'm sticking to it. Also, he trusted and valued Colonel Tom Parker... he wouldn't be the star he is known as today if it weren't for the Colonel (again my opinion).
    I honestly believe Elvis was so tired that he welcomed death.

You're right about this: Had Elvis been alive, there would be NO way in hell Lisa Marie would have married Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by MPetro108 View Post
    I honestly believe Elvis was so tired that he welcomed death.
    I actually read or heard somewhere that Elvis missed his mother so much that he did welcome death just so he could be with her again.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    If Elvis was alive he would have shown himself when Lisa Marie married Michael Jackson.
    Ba HAHAHA. That is exactly what I said at the time. I was 12 or 13 when he died and I remember Mama bringing home the Enquirer with his casket photo on the front. Her and all my older female relatives were crying.... I didn't really become a fan until I was in my late teens and appreciated his music.

I am a huge Elvis fan but wasn't born when he died. His death was such a waste of a talented man. Elvis, in later life, was used by Col. Tom and friends. He is dead. I mean no one could hide for 30 years! Even though I wish he was still alive, we still have great music forever!

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    i didn't mean that he didn't get to perform ceertain types of music so much as he wasn't able to do particular songs that he wanted. i truly believe he wanted to branch out into more meaningful stuff, ie: the ghetto. he also wanted to be taken seriously as an actor. he was first choice for the kris kristoferson role in A Star Is Born, with Streisand, but col parker didn't want it to happen. it was like that with numerous film roles. parker wanted him to stick with the teeny bopper shit that did make money, no doubt, but also never allowed elvis to grow.

Guest Guest
    My thoughts on this is , the king is dead. He's not off milking cows on some farm to escape the fame, he's not out hiding away being a recluse in a home that nobody knows about, the guy is dead. My daughter 10 yrs old is a huge fan of Elvis. Every CD, I hear them day in and day out.......: grinds teeth : The KING has left the building...... Thank you, thank you very much.

QueenB Guest
    Hi All
    I have to agree I think Elvis died though I feel compelled to tell you of the time I went to Graceland about 3 years ago. I was with my ex girlfriend and we were queing up to see the Lisa Marie plane and this bloke walks past us and he is the spit of Elvis aged about 70. The bloke had grey quiffed hair, sunglasses and was wearing a hawaian shirt. But he had the cheekbones and was a stunning looking guy. Think about it who would suspect Elvis to be walking about his own place?? Certainly made my day and my trip to Memphis! Would have preferred to have seen the real Lisa Marie but thats another story, can you believe her daughter is now a model?
    Big cheer to Scott and his tour - I was lucky enough to go on it this year with me mate Leggy and I got to hand out folders! Whoo now cant wait to come back and do it again, and I have tld tons of people in London to do it too.

b57hrle Guest
    I also agree, he's dead. That picture, to me, made him look a lot younger than he should have. I know they can do a lot with makeup to cover up tons of things after death but still, he was a lot heavier at that point too. The drugs took a big toll. If he had been alive Lisa Marie would never have been allowed to marry Jackson to begin with..

27. 10-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Justcallmetink85 Guest
    I loved the Elvis FAD page - especially the cotton wool balls quote. I have come across many, many conspiracy theories regarding his death, as I'm sure you all have but one thing that really struck me about the picture of him in the coffin was... I have seen footage of one of his last performances (around 6 weeks before he died) and he looked big.. it was reported he put on a further 60lbs, does anyone not think he looked a little young, skinny? It was reported that it was just a waxwork and people that saw his body sweating! Sooooo many theories but I still think he kicked the bucket, as many people have posted before..... Lisa Marie marrying Wacko Jacko would never had happened if he was alive!

I love Elvis and respect his work, but he was basically a poor dumb manipulated hillbilly when the Colonel pushed him out into the world. Sure the grueling schedule made him a star and got him anything he wanted, but I think the sudden skyrocketing fame and fast pace of it all was overwhelming, and would have been for most people. Elvis only had a limited intellectual capacity to deal with it all, and tried to escape in many different ways - drugs, food, sex, isolation. God love him, I'm sure he did the best he could, but all those fried peanut butter sandwiches and dexies messed up his heart. He died like a King should, on a throne. Long live the King!

GlitterGlam Guest
    I live in Memphis and my dad was in the Air National Guard when Elvis died. The Air National Guard was at the funeral and my dad did see Elvis in his casket.

I've been to Graceland several times and everyone should try to make a trip to Memphis to see Graceland. But don't stay at the hotels near Graceland! lol It's not in the best area anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterGlam View Post
    . But don't stay at the hotels near Graceland! lol It's not in the best area anymore.
    Yeah, I have to agree with you there! Graceland is in the "ghetto" - it's all ghetto up to Graceland and past it! Elvis' song, "In the Ghetto" kept going thru my head as we drove down Elvis Presely Blvd to get there!

We were only passing thru and stayed at a hotel about an hour down the highway after we left there.

incognito Guest
    Elvis was a Capricorn, a leader sign. I doubt he did anything he didn't truly want to do. He was no puppet. Entertainers have problems beyond their professional careers.
    Elvis is/was cool.

GlitterGlam Guest
    If anyone is planning to visit Memphis, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to recommend places to stay and other sights to see while you are here

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey boy View Post
    I love Elvis and respect his work, but he was basically a poor dumb manipulated hillbilly when the Colonel pushed him out into the world. Sure the grueling schedule made him a star and got him anything he wanted, but I think the sudden skyrocketing fame and fast pace of it all was overwhelming, and would have been for most people. Elvis only had a limited intellectual capacity to deal with it all, and tried to escape in many different ways - drugs, food, sex, isolation. God love him, I'm sure he did the best he could, but all those fried peanut butter sandwiches and dexies messed up his heart. He died like a King should, on a throne. Long live the King!
    I don't believe for a minute Elvis was as dumb as you think. There is alot to know about Elvis and most coverage is basic. It's taken me over 40 years to get to know the real Elvis and many people read one retarded article and think they know all there is about Elvis. Not so..... My opinion only of course!

Elvis was not only a very good looking man but he had one
    of the most beautiful voices and I truly believe had someone
    in his entourage had the courage to tell him "NO", he would be
    alive today. No matter how famous you become in this world, death
    is no respector of persons. What a waste!

taterbaby77 Guest
    If anyone gets a chance read the book "If I Can Dream: Elvis' Own Story" written by Larry Geller, the guy that did Elvis's hair and was a spiritual person that Elvis leaned on in his later years. The ending will explain a lot of why Elvis stayed with the drugs.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    I always admired Priscilla. Had to take some 'guts' to leave him.
    ~SinKitty

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    I always admired Priscilla. Had to take some 'guts' to leave him.
    ~SinKitty
    Altho a lot of Elvis' fans hate her and blame her for his death.

You can't save someone from themselves if they are bent on self
    destruction. Elvis needed help desperately but everyone was afraid to take
    issue with him.

alexmack Guest

Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    ROTFLMAO Candleinthewind! That is proof positive he's dead.

You're absolutely right, Rebekah. He was such a kind and generous man. What a loss.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    Elvis was not only a very good looking man but he had one of the most beautiful voices and I truly believe had someone
    in his entourage had the courage to tell him "NO", he would be
    alive today. No matter how famous you become in this world, death
    is no respector of persons. What a waste!
    You said it.

People credit Tom Parker for so much Elvis had. This was Elvis, not Jimmy Osmond. Elvis could have done a lot better, manager wise. Tom Parker could not have done better client wise.

Frankly I think Donald Duck could have sold Elvis Presley tickets to as many people as Tom did.

motherogod Guest
    Graceland is a MUST-DO! I can't remember the name of the website but it shows pictures of upstairs of Graceland, plus floor plan. According to them Elvis died in the bathroom which is directly above the entry hall. OOOooh! I learned this after I took my 12 year old son on our summer grave pilgrimmage, it would have been too cool to have known it going in!

Elvis is dead, unfortunately...I grew up in Northeast Arkansas about an hour north of Memphis and when it came time for college I moved to Memphis, and my job for over 3 years was a tour guide at Graceland - I worked there from September 1990 until August 1994 so I was there when Lisa married Michael and the running joke was that if he wasnt dead that would either kill him or bring him out of hiding..lol...

As for the Elvis and Col Tom issues - there was several times over the years that Elvis tried to get rid of the Colonel but he had a financial hold over Elvis that he would dangle everytime Elvis tried to leave and later in his career Colonel would dangle personal issues that he would reveal if Elvis were to leave him...Some of the family members that I was good friends with would tell some stories about arguments between the Elvis, Vernon and the Colonel over Elvis threatening to leave the Colonel...the courts later decided that his contract was too overbearing and cancelled it allowing more royalties and profits to go to the estate...

Graceland is definately a sight to see, and if you dont want to take the tour you can still walk up to the gravesites for free in the mornings before the tours start...

As for that area of Memphis (known as Whitehaven), Graceland has slowly been buying up land along EP Blvd (they own about 100 acres now with more under contract) and will be building a huge hotel with about 500 rooms and meeting space and new ticket plaza with retail and musuem space...Jack Soden, Priscilla and Jerry Sillerman have big plans for the area..

HETFIELD Guest
    I almost stopped in Memphis to see Graceland on my way to Dallas. I went to see where JFK was killed, and I visited Dimebag Darrell's grave in Arlington.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Altho a lot of Elvis' fans hate her and blame her for his death.
    Nah. I dont blame her. He was on drugs when she left. I think he did sink deeper into them after she left, but that wasnt her fault. They did stay close friends, and I think she did what she could for him, but no one tells the King what to do.

Ive been a fan of Elvis since I was a kid. (early death-hag syndrome) At 18 my Dad paid for me to go to Graceland. The best part was going to the 'morning walk up' to his grave. It was just me and the King. And the lonely rose I brought for him.

They are making a hologram of Elvis at Graceland. I dont know all the details. But that'll be awesome.

Also the animatronic bust they made of him that talks and follows you with his eyes. Freaks me out. I want it, lol.

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Nah. I dont blame her. He was on drugs when she left. I think he did sink deeper into them after she left, but that wasnt her fault. They did stay close friends, and I think she did what she could for him, but no one tells the King what to do.

Ive been a fan of Elvis since I was a kid. (early death-hag syndrome) At 18 my Dad paid for me to go to Graceland. The best part was going to the 'morning walk up' to his grave. It was just me and the King. And the lonely rose I brought for him.

They are making a hologram of Elvis at Graceland. I dont know all the details. But that'll be awesome.

Also the animatronic bust they made of him that talks and follows you with his eyes. Freaks me out. I want it, lol.

I saw this, it's so freaky that I told my kids this is my Christmas or Birthday present this year.... It's a must have it's so creepy!!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I was ten years old and visiting my grandparents' in NE Georgia when he died. I wasn't too moved by it at the time, I was more into the Bay City Rollers and Shaun Cassidy. I distinctly remember the adults discussing it in shocked tones and one of my aunts crying. Now, I have a much greater appreciation for the man and his music. He was incredibly talented, could sing pretty much anything and handsome, oh my gawd.

Graceland is awesome! Even if you're not a huge Elvis fan, it's really incredible.

Every time I see something with Lisa Marie or Priscilla now, I have to wonder what Elvis would have thought about their Scientology deal.

I was never really a big time fan of Elvis. I only like a couple of his songs, especially "Blue Xmas".

But Graceland was a one-in-lifetime thing for me - just had to see it, after following the "sordid" side of Elvis' life all these years - rather than his famous side!

Zeenie Guest
    When I was in the eighth grade I won a trip to Graceland from a radio station out in Cali. It is a gorgeous place to visit, and you can still feel him in that house. I have been a huge fan since I was a kid, even though I was only two when he died.

Jaxxx Guest

Kicked out of Graceland

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    oh, ya, parker made elvis the icon he was, for sure. there's no doubt there. it just makes me mad/sad when someone is being used to such a dispicable degree. parker never cared for the person that elvis was, and only used him to make more money. for sure elvis needed therapy. who wouldn't with the life he led?
    When I was in college, my neice and I went to Graceland since we were driving through Memphis. My neice had bought us some sweatshirts at the mall before we arrived, since it was cold I wore it. Mine said, "Elvis has left the building (on the front) and (on the back) Permenantly. My neice's said, Face the facts, Folks...he's dead! needless to say, we were told to leave.