Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerome "Curly" Howard

Frank 'N' Howie Guest

Jerome "Curly" Howard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Howard

I searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to Curley so I wanted to start one...I was in LOVE with this guy when I was a kid...I was convinced that I was gonna be the Mrs. Curly...I mean really...

He was born on October 22, 1903...My oldest son shares a birthday with him and that explains alot about him...It is a day that he is very proud of...It's the first thing he told me this morning after I wished him a happy birthday..."Mama, today is Curlys birthday too!"...I love my kids...

He had such a tragic life even though he brought so much joy to so many...It is such a shame...I will forever be in love with this guy...Nobody could take finger jabs to the eyes like him...I love ya Jerome and I love my Willie...Two peas in a pod...

2. 10-22-2008, 04:38 AM

Great thread idea, howDID! I just read his wiki biography. Columbia Pictures president Harry Cohn was an asshole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Damn straight he was...Curly got the crappy end of the stick...He was such an inspiration to comedy and it's so sad that his life ended the way it did...

Armcast Guest
    Tell your son happy birthday from us...and happy birthday to Curly...nyuk nyuk nyuk

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    Tell your son happy birthday from us...and happy birthday to Curly...nyuk nyuk nyuk
    Thanks Armie...I wub you...

Happy Birthday to Curly and Howie's son !!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzyann2007 View Post
    Happy Birthday to Curly and Howie's son !!
    Thanks Lizzy...Now the fact that my son was born on the same day as Curly is my testament as to how much I love him and my son...How cool am I?

Curly rocked!

He was my favorite Stooge.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    what a fantastic post-brings back some fond memories!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Curly was the best EVER!!!

Layla331 Guest
    I love posts that make ya stop and sigh,,,,awww curly...great memories...great post!

Was Curly a favorite Stooge? Soytenly Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.
    Great Post.

trose Guest
    Great post! Happy birthday to Willie - and Curly posthumously.

Carrie Guest
    Howie, Curley got me in so much trouble when I was a kid. I was a 3 stooges freak. I watched them everyday after school....that is, until I hit my brother over the head with a plastic bowl. My mom blamed it on Curley, Moe, and Larry. I was banned from the t.v. for a long long time. Years later, I had to explain to my mom that it wasn't my 3 pals who made me hit my brother...it was the fact that my brother was an asshole!!

Morto Guest
    I was a penpal with Larry Fine in the 70s until he died. Larry told me that even though Curly life had a tragic end he was a wild man.He lived life to the fullest at full tilt!!!Broads,cars,houses,wives and his biggest weakness dogs.He was constantly bringing home strays or to the set he was like a big kid that never grew up.Thats how I try to picture him any ways

mcconk2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Howard

I searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to Curley so I wanted to start one...I was in LOVE with this guy when I was a kid...I was convinced that I was gonna be the Mrs. Curly...I mean really...

He was born on October 22, 1903...My oldest son shares a birthday with him and that explains alot about him...It is a day that he is very proud of...It's the first thing he told me this morning after I wished him a happy birthday..."Mama, today is Curlys birthday too!"...I love my kids...

He had such a tragic life even though he brought so much joy to so many...It is such a shame...I will forever be in love with this guy...Nobody could take finger jabs to the eyes like him...I love ya Jerome and I love my Willie...Two peas in a pod...
    hmm how old are you? if your son was born in 1903, that makes you ??????

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Howie, Curley got me in so much trouble when I was a kid. I was a 3 stooges freak. I watched them everyday after school....that is, until I hit my brother over the head with a plastic bowl. My mom blamed it on Curley, Moe, and Larry. I was banned from the t.v. for a long long time. Years later, I had to explain to my mom that it wasn't my 3 pals who made me hit my brother...it was the fact that my brother was an asshole!!
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!! Carrie that is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time...Curly used to get me in trouble too...I would draw his picture inside all my books...I got lotsa spankins...

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mcconk2 View Post
    hmm how old are you? if your son was born in 1903, that makes you ??????
    Hardy, har, har...Willie turned 11...You funny...

Here in the Garbage State of NJ we have a $2 lottery ticket with the 3 Stooges on it.
    First prize on the second chance drawing is a trip to Cali to some of the Stooges favorite hangouts.
    Happy belated b'day Curly you look good for 106.

rickenbacker Guest
    I love that guy! The best natural comedic talent ever!

soitenly!
    pull the string!

guardmom2008 Guest
    He truly was funny.
    Happy Belated Birthday to your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    I was a penpal with Larry Fine in the 70s until he died. Larry told me that even though Curly life had a tragic end he was a wild man.He lived life to the fullest at full tilt!!!Broads,cars,houses,wives and his biggest weakness dogs.He was constantly bringing home strays or to the set he was like a big kid that never grew up.Thats how I try to picture him any ways
    WOW how fuckin great to have a penpal like that.
    My sister went to college with the daughter of Officer Joe Bolton who had the Stooges show I thought that was great but this.....

fultondyke Guest
    Does anyone else remember an obscure song from the 80s called The Curly Shuffle dedicated to him? Curly was, by far, my favorite 'stooge'! NYUCK, NYUCK, NYUCK!
    Last edited by fultondyke; 10-24-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: misspelling

fultondyke Guest
    httpyoutubethecurlyshufflevideo

I Found the song and video!

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Moe Larry and Shemp were Stooges but Curly was a SUPERSTOOGE...in my opinion the funniest fat-man of all time i STILL have not heard a good imitation of his Nyuks and woobs

Bessolo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    httpyoutubethecurlyshufflevideo

I Found the song and video!
    Two years later...here's a link that woiks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuTzsi6WT6Q

bonzosrightfoot Guest
    If you're going to have a thread about arguably the most recognized funny man EVER, at least spell "Curly" correctly in the thread title. I'm sorry if I'm picky but he deserves that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzosrightfoot View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm picky but he deserves that at least.
    You're not only picky, you're 2 years too late. Let it goooo, man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

lucilleball861911 Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bonzosrightfoot View Post
    If you're going to have a thread about arguably the most recognized funny man EVER, at least spell "Curly" correctly in the thread title. I'm sorry if I'm picky but he deserves that at least.
    well in the early Stooge shorts they spelled Curly, "Curley" i mean we ALL know who he's talking about anyways

Reecy Guest
    Curly was indeed funny. My daughter looks at the 3 stooges and just howls at Curly. I howl for Shemp though.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    Curly was indeed funny. My daughter looks at the 3 stooges and just howls at Curly. I howl for Shemp though.
    Shemp is my Fav Stooge as well

I always wanted Curly to be my uncle heh

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Sorry about misspelling Curly's name in the thread title...It was probably one of my "blonde" moments...

Morto Guest

Curley

It's also interesting that going back to when Ted Healy was with the boys in the 20's and early 30's that Shemp was with them then.So although Shemp's appearance after Curley died was a first for most fans he was actually the in the mix before Curley.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    I always wanted Curly to be my uncle heh
    Me too!
    Cindy

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I did not know that Morto!!! Do you have any suggestions on some good books about the Stooges??? I guess it would help if I looked huh??? I still can't get over the fact that you were pen pals with Larry Fine...That is like the GREATEST thing ever man...

Bessolo Guest
    It's also interesting that going back to when Ted Healy was with the boys in the 20's and early 30's that Shemp was with them then.So although Shemp's appearance after Curley died was a first for most fans he was actually the in the mix before Curley.
    Yep! See here:
    http://findadeath.com/forum/showpost...46&postcount=3

A supposed worse best kept secret is that Ted was beaten to death by Wallace Beery and others.

it's hard to believe Curly has been gone almost 59 years it'll be 59 years next month. I wonder how it would have been like had they had 4 stooges Moe,Larry, Shemp and Curly or had Shemp do guest appearances as the 4th stooge.

growl Guest
    OK Bessolo, that certainly sounds like a story we need to hear!!!!!Give it up!! or maybe there needs to be a new thread for Ted's story!!!

Bessolo Guest
    Just google it! Beery was not a nice person sober and when drunk he was downright bad news. Ted wasn't exactly Mother Teresa when drinking either but this night reports had him in a good mood as he was celebrating his newborn son and passing out cigars. Beery and Cubby Broccoli (yes, that one from the James Bond series fame) got into an argument with Ted and beat him so bad that he died a day or two later.

Beery was shipped over to Europe by the studio until things cooled down. This was one of the many things "fixed" by my favorite Hollyweird villain Eddie Mannix (his wife was George Reeve's mistress...or rather, George was her boy toy)

I've mastered the fine art of connecting George to just about everything!

Bidmor Guest
    It's also interesting that going back to when Ted Healy was with the boys in the 20's and early 30's that Shemp was with them then.
    Actually it was when the boys went with Healy as the act was billed Ted Healy And His Stooges. Healy played the role that we traditionally identify now as Moe's. Fate turned out to be kind to the boys after Healy went solo and eventually his loud drunken mouth attached to a puny body met and equally loud and drunken but not so puny Wallace Beery one night, as some accounts relate. As a result, Wallace Beery and The Three Stooges are well remembered. Healy is forgotten in comparison.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 12-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Morto Guest

Talking Jerome "Curley" Howard

Ted Healy was their first real manager took them from vaudeville to films.Their first big hit was "Soup to Nuts" then several others.Ted was an asshole especially when drinking which was almost constant towards the end of his life.Larry was always nice about Ted but you could tell he was a bad person from his comments.As far as books Howie Larry wrote a book in the 70's called "Stroke of Luck" after his stroke in 1970 or so.I would just go to amazon or e bay since I am sure it is out of print.I forget some of the better book titles but one was written by Moe's son in law if I remember right last name Maurer.Yeah it was a kick running to the mail box to see if Larry had written back!!!

Bessolo Guest
    I'm so friggin jealous of you for having had Larry as a pen pal! Not too many people can boast of having gotten mail from a porcupine LOL

http://shatterhand007.com/Section26/TedHealy.html Mentions Cubby but attributes Ted's death to a heart attack...gotta wonder if the beating brought it on though as that is a possibility. The odd thing is that site makes no mention of Beery.

Morto Guest

Jerome Curley Howard

Bessolo,I was blown away at the the time and patience Larry took to correspond with me.When I think back here is a guy in his late 60's making an effort to write me on a regular basis for three years.I think my Father was jealous!!!!

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Bessolo,I was blown away at the the time and patience Larry took to correspond with me.When I think back here is a guy in his late 60's making an effort to write me on a regular basis for three years.I think my Father was jealous!!!!
    How Larry loved his fans.. to go through the trouble of writing to his fans even after a paralyzing stroke really shows what kind of a man he was... i am sure the same can be said of the Howard brothers as well (but Cohn was an asshole and kept the fan letters from the boys)..in all of Hollywoods history nobody got screwed over by the studios more than the Three Stooges

Morto Guest

Jerome "Curley" Howard

Yeah he mentioned Cohn was a crook,in today's world Columbia would have lost their ass in a fraud case.But yes he took the time to write me in the most sincere way and was truly a wonderful friend!I know Larry has a sister,much younger but I am not sure if she is still alive.However as of about 2-3 years ago she was and said he was a wonderful big brother,he was quite a bit older.

Bessolo Guest
    Harry Cohn was one piece of work. At Cohn's funeral Red Skelton noted the large attendance and supposedly uttered â??It proves what Harry always said: Give the public what they want and they'll come out for itâ?

And when the Rabbi was asked to say a nice thing about the dearly departed he said: "He's dead"

I think it's safe to say HC was the kinda feller who'd brighten a room by leaving it.

growl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bessolo View Post
    I'm so friggin jealous of you for having had Larry as a pen pal! Not too many people can boast of having gotten mail from a porcupine LOL

http://shatterhand007.com/Section26/TedHealy.html Mentions Cubby but attributes Ted's death to a heart attack...gotta wonder if the beating brought it on though as that is a possibility. The odd thing is that site makes no mention of Beery.
    Thanks for this link! Fascinating! Pat DiCicco is an interesting character. I think I'll google him-he's connected to a lot of interesting people!