Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hattie McDaniel

Loved her in GWTW. She played it so well and was so comical how she had Scarlet figured out!!!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    Loved her in GWTW. She played it so well and was so comical how she had Scarlet figured out!!!
    Its sad some people wont watch GWTW they are missing a great performance from Hattie,her character Mammy held the family together and she took no crap from nobody ....She truly deserved her Oscar for best movie ever made.....

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Its sad some people wont watch GWTW they are missing a great performance from Hattie,her character Mammy held the family together and she took no crap from nobody ....She truly deserved her Oscar for best movie ever made.....
    I have watched GWTW I don't know how many times. Each time I notice something different. It definitely seemed as though Ashley led her on a bit. But back to Hattie. I agree that the movie wouldn't have been as good without her contribution. The standout performances were so amazing - it is no wonder it has stood the test of time.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

One of my favorites, still holds up today. Hattie totally deserved her Oscar, even though she was seated in the back of the room and not allowed to sit with her GWTW co-stars.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    One of the great actresses, recognized today for her skill, talent, and grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    One of my favorites, still holds up today. Hattie totally deserved her Oscar, even though she was seated in the back of the room and not allowed to sit with her GWTW co-stars.
    The superior attitudes of white ppl of yore and actually today just kill me......How come she couldn't sit with them......And then couldn't be buried with her peers.....WTF and Kudos for Clark Gable....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.essence.com/2010/05/27/howard-university-cant-find-hattie-mcdaniels-oscar/ Howard University can't find the Academy Award given to Hattie McDaniel, the first Black actress ever to win an Oscar in 1939 for her role in "Gone with the Wind."When she died of breast cancer in 1952, McDaniel left her Oscar to Howard's drama department. One theory is that students stole the award in the 1960s, protesting the "subservient" roles that she played, Black Voices reported. Another is that a thief snatched the Oscar, worth $550,000.
    Last edited by Drew; 03-08-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Very true.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Entirely possible.

"The "Oscar" that Hattie won was placed in the keeping of Howard University in Washington, D.C. The statue disappeared during racial unrest on the Washington, D.C., campus in the late 1960s.[38]"
    Sadly,this is a true The Black Panthers in the late 1960's threw
    her Oscar in the river.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.