Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elton John

sablegsd Guest
    I believe David Furnish is about to turn 47. So he is over their limit also.

Sam Guest
    I think that's an outrage!

RaRaRamona Guest
    What outrage?? He's way too old in my opinion. How fair would it be to a sick baby to be adopted then left an orphan (again) & fought over by hangers on? What a terrible life. If he wanted to adopt babies he should have thought about it way before now.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    What outrage?? He's way too old in my opinion. How fair would it be to a sick baby to be adopted then left an orphan (again) & fought over by hangers on? What a terrible life. If he wanted to adopt babies he should have thought about it way before now.
    He would be provided for but I agree-the child would be fought over. It would probably get very ugly and the child would be right in the center of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    And here I thought it was just because he was so bitchy.

Seriously, though, I get the age, but in a situation where the kid is HIV +, would't it be better to let the child be adopted out, despite the age of the potential parents? Sad as it is, a child with that kind of health problems has a high chance of not being adopted. This might be his/her only chance.

Besides that, he's Elton Freakin' John. I'd think that, even though he's older, he'd make darned sure the child was provided for, regardless.

Does anyone know how old his huband is? I thought Furnish was younger, but don't quote me on that. Would they be able to get the child in that case?
    David Furnish is in his late 40s, if someone or a couple would like to
    adopt any child from Eastern Europe or a Country in Africa and give them
    a happy/better life why not who cares if they are gay or straight as long
    they are good parents.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    He would be provided for but I agree-the child would be fought over. It would probably get very ugly and the child would be right in the center of it.
    He should just donate a load of money to the orphanage.

kandykisses Guest
    With life expectancy's increasing I am torn. 62 is old. But if he lives to 82 he might outlive the kid and give it a great life. There is no guarantee on life. Someone 45 could adopt the kid and be run over by a bus.

Desertrose Guest
    I think it is sad Elton cannot adopt this little guy and give him a loving home, which every child deserves. I really don't believe age should be a factor here. Parents die at all ages, leaving their children in the care of others. And, some people don't become first time parents until later in their life, and make wonderful parents and appreciate the fact that a child has come into their lives.

kandykisses Guest
    PS there is no age limit on a persons ability to love a child.

RaRaRamona Guest
    It's more than just the fact that will die sooner. Can he get down & play with a child? You may say he can get nannies to do that. You could say fat people manage just fine. ::shrug:: But I still say that too freakin old to adopt. It's selfish.

stranger_than_strange Guest
    Let Elton adopt the kid I think he would make a great parent, he's caring has bucket loads of cash. For all we know he might outlive the kid. Why not let him provide this child with a good life and love for as long as it lasts.
    Older people have been known to raise kids grandparents for example and they don't have Eltons resources.

kandykisses Guest
    I didn't think about that kind of stuff. Still-there are lots of spry healthy old people and some sickly young people. I don't think youth is the best qualifier for being a parent.

There a plenty of young parents who can get down on the floor and play and never do. They are too busy making ends meet-or partying-or whatever. Elton John and his lover have the luxury of money ie: time to devote to this child and provide for him-with nannies, nurses, medical care etc. Being older-most times you are a little wiser-have more patience, have more time to be with the kid. Being under 45 is not going to guarantee someone is a good parent.

Quote Originally Posted by kandykisses View Post
    I didn't think about that kind of stuff. Still-there are lots of spry healthy old people and some sickly young people. I don't think youth is the best qualifier for being a parent.

There a plenty of young parents who can get down on the floor and play and never do. They are too busy making ends meet-or partying-or whatever. Elton John and his lover have the luxury of money ie: time to devote to this child and provide for him-with nannies, nurses, medical care etc. Being older-most times you are a little wiser-have more patience, have more time to be with the kid. Being under 45 is not going to guarantee someone is a good parent.
    I agree. Denying this child the opportunity to live out his days with loving parents is a tragedy. They have everything to give him, including compassion for the child's illness. They fell in love with him. I think it is meant to be and it has changed Elton already, I can see that.

I don't understand how it can be selfish, it's about the most unselfish thing I can think of! Giving a child a new chance at a good life. God bless them, I wish it would work out. They will make much better parents than many in this world. Maybe they would adopt me...

Flowergrrl Guest
    I see your point RaRa but, at the same time... Someone young could adopt and find out they have a life-threatening disease or die from an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I don't understand how it can be selfish, it's about the most unselfish thing I can think of! Giving a child a new chance at a good life. God bless them, I wish it would work out. They will make much better parents than many in this world. Maybe they would adopt me...
    I so agree, and very well said.

RubySlippers Guest
    PS there is no age limit on a persons ability to love a child.

disaster waiting to happen. sick child + old parents = uncertain future.
    sure, they may have 10 years together, but will the quality of family life be if one is in and out of the hospital and one is a senior citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    I agree. Denying this child the opportunity to live out his days with loving parents is a tragedy. They have everything to give him, including compassion for the child's illness. They fell in love with him. I think it is meant to be and it has changed Elton already, I can see that.
    Thank You, and I would guess most people would
    agree. It's just common sense.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 09-15-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    I see your point RaRa but, at the same time... Someone young could adopt and find out they have a life-threatening disease or die from an accident.
    That's true.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The child would have a entourage of caretakers and nannies. I don't think any of the rich and famous spend the time raising a child the way we do. His live would prolly be better off in the long run and think of the inheritance.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    The child would have a entourage of caretakers and nannies. I don't think any of the rich and famous spend the time raising a child the way we do. His live would prolly be better off in the long run and think of the inheritance.
    *snort* funny, but partially true.

Madonna, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are great Parents.
    So why not Elton John?

Guest Guest
    It is a shame Elton was turned down. If Madonna wangled it at her age, maybe there is a way for Elton? Money talks.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    It is a shame Elton was turned down. If Madonna wangled it at her age, maybe there is a way for Elton? Money talks.
    We are just talking about age as a factor here - It comes down to RULES. You saw how hard it was for Madonna to get David. It almost didn't happen. If those guidelines have been in place for a long time, they can't let him adopt and not others. Each country is different - in the case of the U.S., each state is different.

That AND the fact he is too old.

With that kind of money he can adopt me.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

1karenhb Guest
    He should just donate a load of money to the orphanage.
    I agree with you Ra. I don't care he's gay, he's too old!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Madonna is just a freak & should never have been allowed to have any children at all.

But back to Elton, I say it is selfish b/c well...it is. He decides at age 62 that he suddenly wants a baby? That is selfish. He wants to do this, it's not like his child died & left him their baby, he wants to go somewhere & adopt a baby so he can enjoy it. This is something he wants to do. he could have & should have done it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    We are just talking about age as a factor here - It comes down to RULES. You saw how hard it was for Madonna to get David. It almost didn't happen. If those guidelines have been in place for a long time, they can't let him adopt and not others. Each country is different - in the case of the U.S., each state is different.

That AND the fact he is too old.
    Madonna is just a freak & should never have been allowed to have any children at all.

But back to Elton, I say it is selfish b/c well...it is. He decides at age 62 that he suddenly wants a baby? That is selfish. He wants to do this, it's not like his child died & left him their baby, he wants to go somewhere & adopt a baby so he can enjoy it. This is something he wants to do. he could have & should have done it earlier.
    I agree on both accounts - he's too old and selfish. A great musician, but way past the prime to raise kids. Maybe he can give money to ophanges to make sure that kids are taken care of, or help parents who are finacially stirckened to adpoted. But I don't know.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Roaming Tigress Guest
    Here, here!

StarKist Guest
    I love the bitch-fest that went on between Keith Richards and Elton. You make an interesting point about Elton and his death/funeral involvment. From "Empty Garden", "Funeral For A Friend, to "Circle of Life".

"His writing is limited to songs for dead blondes."
    - Keith Richards (about Elton John).

"I'm glad I've given up drugs and alcohol. It would be awful to be
    like Keith Richards. He's pathetic. It's like a monkey with
    arthritis, trying to go on stage and look young. I have great respect
    for the Stones but they would have been better if they had thrown
    Keith out 15 years ago."
    - Elton John (about Keith Richards).

I think it is sad and amusing how celebrities find it trendy to use children as accessories.

I have been a fan of Elton's forever. I think his heart is definately in the right place, but he's been so selfish all of his life, I don't think this is the answer, in my opinion. It's too bad this didn't really cross his mind earlier in his life, but now he's so set in his ways....not a good idea. And while we're on the subject of Madonna...BARF. She chooses adopting kids over nuturing her marriage. She is NUTS.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I only like a few songs from this guy, but I personally think he's a PMSing Whore.
    Last edited by DivineDeath; 09-16-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineDeath View Post
    I only like a few song from this guy, but I personally think he's a PMSing Whore.

ha ha...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I'll carry a rattle around, wear nothing but a diaper and call him "Da Da" if that will help me get adopted...

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I'll carry a rattle around, wear nothing but a diaper and call him "Da Da" if that will help me get adopted...
    Sounds kinky...

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    ha ha...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

kandykisses Guest
    I think Elton could be sincere in his love for this child. Being Gay at the time he was gay -when he was young he probably never felt he'd ever be able to adopt. I t wasn't till when the 90's that gays were really allowed to adopt and in some places they still aren't allowed. He also went through that weird denial thing where he got married to some woman so it took him a time to come to peace with himself and who he is and find a partner to love and trust. I am not an Elton John fan. Don't like his music-and his celebrity bitch fights annoy me.

However, I think it is agism to be against him giving this child a loving home. He is at a great place in his life. He doesn't have to work, he can give the child time and love. If it was 50 years ago when the life expectancy was 60's or 70-I can see the point. Not now. It's the 21st century 60 is the new 40.

2Dogs Guest
    It's the 21st century 60 is the new 40.
    Yeah, but I doubt that is the case in the Ukraine and it is their laws that are preventing him from adopting. And regardless of how long Elton might live or how grand of a life he could provide for a child...it would be wrong to bend the rules for a wealthy foreigner when Ukrainian citizens 15 years younger than him are considered too old to adopt.

kandykisses Guest
    Well you have a point there and in the Ukraine are a century or 2 behind so I will concede to the fairness of it all.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Please post pictures!
    regards,
    Mary

knothere Guest

Elton John Says He's Helping Eminem Fight Drug Use

Elton John Says He's Helping Eminem Fight Drug Use

By Stephen M. Silverman
    Saturday January 02, 2010 07:00 AM EST
    Eminem (left) and Elton John
    Kevin Mazur/WireImage; Dave Allocca/Startraks

Elton John is there for Eminem, who is battling a drug problem.

"I've been helping Eminem over the last 18 months and he's doing brilliantly," John says, reports the British Press Association.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 in the U.K. on Saturday, Sir Elton, 62, who has freely spoken about his own past issues with substance abuse, said: "I'm there if people want my help. If people ask for help you tell them where to go but there's no point advising people if they don't want to do it."

In May, Eminem admitted he'd suffered from a devastating drug addiction that led to him downing as many as 20 Vicodin, Ambien and Valium in a day.

"The numbers got so high," he told Vibe magazine, "I don't even know what I was taking.

Following his first stint in rehab in 2005, the rapper, 37, said he nearly overdosed after an acquaintance gave him unidentified blue pills, which a doctor later told him were actually methadone.

knothere Guest
    i hope he dont let the sun go down on him

knothere Guest
    i feel so moooooooooooooooooved

Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    Doesn't he change the words to "Candles in The Wind" for every funeral he attends.
    Yes, and it's getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    i hope he dont let the sun go down on him
    If he is lucky Eminem will

As for adoption, he is way too old.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

45. 01-02-2010, 05:38 PM

discod Guest

Elton John and David Furnish become parents

The singer and civil partner David Furnish became parents to the 7lb 15oz baby boy.
    The news was first reported by USMagazine.com and confirmed by John's Los Angeles-based publicist.
    Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John was born in California via a surrogate, whose identity is being protected by the new parents.
    Zachary is 62-year-old John's first child with the 48-year-old Furnish. The couple's civil partnership was formalised in 2005.
    In a joint statement, the new parents told USMagazine.com that "Zachary is healthy and doing well" and they are "overwhelmed with happiness and joy at this very special moment".

Somebody please explain why its ok for Elton at 62 to have children yet for your middle class man who works five days a week its frowned upon? Makes me so mad because Elton is famous and has money its fine?? wrong just wrong

JudyAnn Guest
    I think 62 is entirely too old to become a father, especially with a 48 year old partner. They are both too old. There, I said it. I would have liked to have seen them adopt an older child out of foster care. There is such a need.

I am an at-home mom of three children and my children exhaust me at my advanced age of 40. However, Elton and David can afford a legion of nannies so there's that.

discod Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    I think 62 is entirely too old to become a father, especially with a 48 year old partner. They are both too old. There, I said it. I would have liked to have seen them adopt an older child out of foster care. There is such a need.

I am an at-home mom of three children and my children exhaust me at my advanced age of 40. However, Elton and David can afford a legion of nannies so there's that.
    I agree about the adoption route and yes it is too old for Elton and your Mr average but the thing I was getting at is its celebrated all over the news at six just cos its somebody famous.........an average guy who lives in a rented 3 bedroom house who becomes a father at 62 only gets harsh words and bad reports thrown his way....

Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    I agree about the adoption route and yes it is too old for Elton and your Mr average but the thing I was getting at is its celebrated all over the news at six just cos its somebody famous.........an average guy who lives in a rented 3 bedroom house who becomes a father at 62 only gets harsh words and bad reports thrown his way....

Arent they going to be dead by the time the kids reach 20?
    This report states what changed Elton's mind about surrogacy. Supposedly it is hard to do this in the Uk and Gay couples come over to the USA to do this.
    Father ... Sir Elton John, left, and husband David Furnish

It was the death of his long-term keyboardist, Guy Babylon, that helped changed his mind in the end. Mr Babylon, who died of a heart attack aged 52 last year, had two children whom the singer described as "wonderful".
    He said at the time: "What better opportunity to replace someone I lost than to replace him with someone I can give a future to?"

But his plans to adopt were reportedly thwarted by Ukrainian laws.
    Sir Elton and Furnish are following in the footsteps of millionaires Barrie and Tony Drewitt-Barlow, who became Britain's first gay surrogate parents in 1999.

The Essex couple have five surrogate children and made history when both were named on the infants' birth certificates.

Like Sir Elton's son Zachary, the Drewitt-Barlows' first babies - twins Aspen and Saffron - were born to a surrogate mother in California.

While surrogacy has increasingly become an option for gay couples in the UK over the past decade or so, it is tightly regulated under British law and couples often consider travelling abroad, where the rules are less strict.
    California is recognised as being generally accepting of surrogacy agreements, including those that involve gay and lesbian parents.

Stonewall's Guide for Gay Dads reminds would-be homosexual parents in the UK that under the 2008 Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act, the birth mother of a child born through a surrogacy arrangement is always considered the legal parent until this is changed by the courts.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...mes-a-dad.html
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

FannyB1923 Guest
    For the sake of that little guy, I hope they're totally committed to him. Heck of a Lifestyle change for 2 middle-aged (one borderline elderly) men!

I'd hate to think he's shoved off to an upstairs bedroom with a nanny, or carted off to boarding school. Seems too many show business people don't have enough time for their children.

FYI, my dad was 45 when I was born and he was too blankety-blank OLD! It was more like having a grandfather and he died when I was 25.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 12-28-2010 at 11:48 AM.

You just have to look at the Hollywood's AARP Dads thread to see they're not alone. It does seem being famous (and thus being able to provide for a lavish lifestyle) seems to hush a lot of people up. I personally think it's a bit irresponsible to be in your 60's and become a parent, but like "The World's Oldest Mom" (the last two who ranked as such either died or are dying with small children left behind), people are clearly choosing it. Obviously, there are no guarantees that you'll be around if you become a parent in your teens, 20's or 30's, but I would also guess your odds are higher you'll see your kids to adulthood.

The disturbing thing is hearing the wingnuts on Yahoo who clearly have some sort of conservative so-called Christian agenda go on about the unnaturalness of two men becoming parents..blah, blah, blah. At least here the issues seem to be age!