Page 1 of 175 1231050100 ... LastLast

Thread: Layne Staley

dentists Guest

Layne Staley

I'd love to see a story on Layne
    Last edited by dentists; 05-10-2008 at 06:51 AM.

I see dead people Guest
    I would as well. He died on April 5th the same day, not year as that other poplular Seatle singer......what was his name? Oh ya Kurt Cobain!

Wierd story as well, I heard pictures where floating around of him dead in his condo, not sure though!

Jack Raines Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I see dead people View Post
    I would as well. He died on April 5th the same day, not year as that other poplular Seatle singer......what was his name? Oh ya Kurt Cobain!

Wierd story as well, I heard pictures where floating around of him dead in his condo, not sure though!

I don't know about anys pics surfacing, but I think he had been dead for quite awhile before his body was found, and it was in advanced stages of decomposition when they found him. Apparently his family got pissed a few years ago because a book about Layne contained graphic details of his death scene (possibly the pics you were speaking of as well), which the family considered to be disrespectful.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I loved Layne's voice. and thought of him as being one of the more talented of the Seattle sound singers. taking nothing away from Chris Cornell, Kurt or Eddie Vedder (or Mark Arm and Andrew Wood for that matter). I just liked Layne because there was something dark yet beautiful about his voice. and he and Jerry harmonized so well together too. he's missed greatly by us fans. I found it sad that at the end he was alone...so much to the point of being dead for a week before he was discovered. that's very sad. such a shame.

star82 Guest
    I read somewhere that when they discovered his body, he looked like something out of the X-Files.

leppchic Guest
    I'd like to see a pic of that. Sounds interesting. I am a huge Alice fan myself. Peace out Layne.....

7. 10-27-2007, 01:04 AM
    Reason
    user request

sk8terpunk1 Guest
    /\ very true. that Angry Chair thing was about some Argentinian woman going thru a bulmia problem who apparently was an AIC fan, and compared herself to Layne. Shit on paper if you ask me.

If you watch the Unplugged videos, he looks so white and horrible. In other videos like Would? and Down in a Hole he looks huge and tall. He looks so little like he shrunk or something, and hes missing his whole top row of teeth. His eyes look sunken in, and this is in freakin 1996!!! I can't imagine what he looked like in the late 90's, or even prior to his death. He had nothing going for him, especially after losing his model girlfriend to some bacteria death thing, probably dirty needles i dunno. so sad, he had such an incredible voice...

Does anyone have any pics of him at the Grammys in 98??

9. 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
    Reason
    user request

10. 10-27-2007, 05:41 PM
    Reason
    user request

I never was a HUGE fan, but I had an album or two and dug most of their stuff. Layne was obviously talented. His range and his and Jerry's harmonies were awesome. A band I was in tried to cover a couple of their songs, but I'm not ashamed to admit that my range didn't quite add up to Mr. Staley's.

Jack Raines Guest
    Here's the video for Layne's cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in The Wall" from the soundtrack to the Elijah Wood's horror flick "The Faculty".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcFRj6cADI

Layne makes a few appearances but I think they might have used old footage of him, since his mouth doesn't sync with the music, and you never see him in the room with the band (a "supergroup" called Class of '99 featuring Layne, Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello, and others).

I'm pretty sure this was the last music video Layne was in, unless they made a video to go along with the Alice in Chains box set that I've forgotten.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    You're correct. At the point that they completed then released the master for the remake for the Pink Floyd cover, Layne was in too rough a shape to be taped, even with some of the not-too-subtle techniques they'd used to cover the ravages of his addiction in other videos (ex. "No excuses"), and all of the shots of him were from stock footage.

RIP Sweetest spirit, the peace you sought is now yours.

FoxMulder Guest
    Are there any pictures of him in the late '90s? There aren't very many Layne Staley photo galleries, much to my surprise. I'm curious to how bad his physical appearance had gotten before his death.

ar1888 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcFRj6cADI

I'm pretty sure this was the last music video Layne was in, unless they made a video to go along with the Alice in Chains box set that I've forgotten.
    They did do a video for the song "born again" for the box set, but not a lot of clear shots of Layne.
    Heres that video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtVg13rtIs

16. 10-31-2007, 01:20 AM
    Reason
    user request

17. 10-31-2007, 01:21 AM
    Reason
    user request

18. 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM
    Reason
    user request

19. 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM

20. 10-31-2007, 01:33 AM
    Reason
    user request

relander Guest

Seattle Police Department incident report

"Dirt" is my favorite album of the 90's. Every song is killer. It reall struck home to me because both my parents were herion addicts. My grandparents took me from them at 2 weeks old. I grew up watching my real mom nod off at parties and I didnt know why. She died about 6 years ago. Herion is the devil. Layne could have been a part of one of the greatest rock bands ever. But it was all taken away by addiction. Depression probably fueled it. I think about him everyday I think of my mom.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    "Dirt" is my favorite album of the 90's. Every song is killer. It reall struck home to me because both my parents were herion addicts. My grandparents took me from them at 2 weeks old. I grew up watching my real mom nod off at parties and I didnt know why. She died about 6 years ago. Herion is the devil. Layne could have been a part of one of the greatest rock bands ever. But it was all taken away by addiction. Depression probably fueled it. I think about him everyday I think of my mom.
    Sorry to hear that. I've been around long-term self-destructors before too, it's sheer hell-on-earth for a family. Oh, man, that must've been rough, both of them ... God bless your grandparents.

Layne's last real interview was heartbreaking and nakedly honest:

"I'm not using drugs to get high like many people think. I know I made a big mistake when I started using this shit. It's a very difficult thing to explain. My liver is not functioning, and I'm throwing up all the time and shitting my pants. The pain is more than you can handle. It's the worst pain in the world. Dope sick hurts the entire body."

24. 10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
    Reason
    user request

cynnbox Guest

Layne Staley

Can you all find anything about him? any details?

cynnbox Guest

layne staley

Is there any info on his death???
    pics??

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnbox View Post
    Is there any info on his death???
    pics??
    scroll down a little bit. there's a thread about him already.

cynnbox Guest
    i want to see a atory on him on this website. What a great artist..such a shame.

I agree Chris... I thought he was the best of the Seattle bunch. I wasn't a big fan when Alice in Chains first came out but I got to appreciate them as todays music got worse and worse. I love "Down In A Hole".

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    I agree Chris... I thought he was the best of the Seattle bunch. I wasn't a big fan when Alice in Chains first came out but I got to appreciate them as todays music got worse and worse. I love "Down In A Hole".
    I wasn't a fan when their first album came out. but after hearing Would? I became a big fan. my favorite song is Got Me Wrong from the Sap e.p....man, i'm getting chills just thinking about that song.

From good old Wikipedia:

On April 19, 2002, an unidentified person placed a call with 911 to say "She hadn't heard from [...] [ Staley] in about two weeks." Staley was found dead in his home after "his mother and stepfather went to his condo with the police". As reported by Rick Anderson of the Seattle Weekly, his body was surrounded by various drug possessions and paraphernalia: "When police kicked in the door to Layne Staley's University District apartment on April 20, there, on a couch, lit by a flickering TV, next to several spray-paint cans on the floor, not far from a small stash of cocaine, near two crack pipes on the coffee table, reposed the remains of the rock musician." He was 34 years old. The autopsy report later concluded that Staley died after injecting a mixture of heroin and cocaine known as a "speedball". By coincidence, the coroner's office estimated that Staley had died on April 5, the same day as fellow Seattle Grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was estimated to have died eight years earlier.

That's pretty much all I've heard about the guy. Maybe there's more info out there though.

32. 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
    Reason
    user request

33. 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
    Reason
    user request

Who is the girl writing it?

35. 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
    Reason
    user request

lizbabe Guest

Layne

I adore Layne Staley and Alice in Chains. I've got all the books and the rare CDs, etc. What I NEED is a www.findadeath.com story on Layne. That would make me happiest The one on Kurt is quite interesting and AIC was a hugely influential Seattle band, too. There are all sorts of details out there about Layne's death but hardly any pictures! Also, there is no grave to go find because he was cremated. I would love a story iwth some pictures of his house (condo) in Seattle.

sk8terpunk1 Guest
    I caught the AIC: Unplugged following Nirvana's on VH1Classic the other night. Absolutely chilling.

Is there any way to get the guy who does FindADeath to create one for him?

RaRaRamona Guest
    I wish I could see this epi. We almost named our son Layne but my husband was afraid there would be a lot of lil Laynes running around. He's a musician so he kind of lives in a small world lol.

Although our son does have a friend named Layne...

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    From good old Wikipedia:

On April 19, 2002, an unidentified person placed a call with 911 to say "She hadn't heard from [...] [ Staley] in about two weeks." Staley was found dead in his home after "his mother and stepfather went to his condo with the police". As reported by Rick Anderson of the Seattle Weekly, his body was surrounded by various drug possessions and paraphernalia: "When police kicked in the door to Layne Staley's University District apartment on April 20, there, on a couch, lit by a flickering TV, next to several spray-paint cans on the floor, not far from a small stash of cocaine, near two crack pipes on the coffee table, reposed the remains of the rock musician." He was 34 years old. The autopsy report later concluded that Staley died after injecting a mixture of heroin and cocaine known as a "speedball". By coincidence, the coroner's office estimated that Staley had died on April 5, the same day as fellow Seattle Grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was estimated to have died eight years earlier.

That's pretty much all I've heard about the guy. Maybe there's more info out there though.
    Okay-whats up with the spray paint cans? Why would they be there?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Okay-whats up with the spray paint cans? Why would they be there?
    I assume he was huffing.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I assume he was huffing.
    Something like this:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0721051gold1.html

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWahoo View Post
    LMBO Has anyone seen "Citizen Ruth?" I'm sorry it's not funny that people do that, especially not pregnant women but the paint face is so ridiculous. There was a guy on "COPS" they caught doing it & he had blue all over his face; he totally denied doing it though. LOL

Wow...and I thought I knew everything! Never would have thought about using spray paint cans for getting high. Thats just sad

Ilmatar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Wow...and I thought I knew everything! Never would have thought about using spray paint cans for getting high. Thats just sad
    Yeah... So very sad.

And Layne being one of my all time favorite singers, I could have lived without all that information.

lois steeme Guest
    A talent gone far too young. I love Alice In Chains. "Rooster" is one of my favourite songs of all times.

Yes and sorry to bring it up. He was lovely and what a voice he had!

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Is there anyway the man who run the site can make a Layne story? I remember reading a bit more about his condo, how there were brown heroin stains all over the carpets.

He and Demri were engaged but broke up in 93 or 94. She did in 96, but even before then he was in really rough shape. Apparently he was living off of Ensure because he couldn't digest food, and was 86 pounds, had no teeth and absecesses all over his arms when they found him. I don't know why he had the spray paint.

I'm glad there aren't any photos of him when he was dead or from his last years circulating, poor Layne wouldn't want his fan to remember him that way.

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    He most likely had the spray paint so that he could use it to get high off of the aerosol that causes the paint to spray out of the can. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffing

He most likely had the spray paint so that he could use it to get high off of the aerosol that causes the paint to spray out of the can.
    Thats strange, though. If you have heroin and coke and painkillers lying around, why on earth would you huff? Thats what people who cant get their hands on real drugs do.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Thats strange, though. If you have heroin and coke and painkillers lying around, why on earth would you huff? Thats what people who cant get their hands on real drugs do.
    He was half dead though - what did he care? Maybe his "doctor" wouldn't bring him his "medicine" anymore b/c he smelled of decay & his place needed to be condemned.

Grungegirl83 Guest
    He paid dealers and drug buddies to deliver his 'medicine', but maybe the spray cans were backup in case he couldn't get any drugs? So sad.

Here is my favorite performance of his, he looked and sounded so damn fierce!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6RefV1td4

Anyone read the Rolling Stone article about AIC? The author said Layne took off his gloves and there were puncture marks all over his hands. The reason he wore a bandana sometimes over his forehead is because apparently he shot up in his forehead. I've never heard of this, but by 95 his veins were probably all blown out. A damn shame, he was beautiful

Last edited by Grungegirl83; 01-22-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Grungegirl83 Guest
    He paid dealers and drug buddies to deliver his 'medicine', but maybe the spray cans were backup in case he couldn't get any drugs? So sad.

Anyone read the Rolling Stone article about AIC? The author said Layne took off his gloves and there were puncture marks all over his hands. The reason he wore a bandana sometimes over his forehead is because apparently he shot up in his forehead. I've never heard of this, but by 95 his veins were probably all blown out. A damn shame, he was beautiful

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post

I love that song. I miss him. The great things he could have done...

Grungegirl83 Guest
    I know, I miss him too. His dad fucked him up royally

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Did he attend the 98 Grammys? Are there pics? I can't find any

lil_zino Guest
    He was absolutely gorgeous. That's how I've always wanted to remember him. Just imagining what he looked like in those last couple years when he was a recluse is sad.

I have a friend who used to work at the guitar center in Seattle. Layne came in and was picking out a lot of stuff. They didn't recognize him. His hair was matted, He had missing teeth and the ones he had were rotting, his clothes were filthy. He bought 2 grand worth of equipment. They didn't know who he was till he pulled out his Visa card.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Amazon.com: Layne Staley: Angry Chair: Books: Adriana Rubio,Layne Staley the book starts at 99.99 and that is used lol

RaRaRamona Guest
    I've looked for pics of him when he was falling apart & haven't found any. Poor guy.

deathhagcutie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    well atleast the book is getting bad reviews

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I have a friend who used to work at the guitar center in Seattle. Layne came in and was picking out a lot of stuff. They didn't recognize him. His hair was matted, He had missing teeth and the ones he had were rotting, his clothes were filthy. He bought 2 grand worth of equipment. They didn't know who he was till he pulled out his Visa card.

Wow that is so so sad. Its hard to find stories of him during his 5 year exile, only that when he recorded the Wall in '99 he showed up 80 pounds and white. they couldn't use him in the music video, then he disappeared.

Its a good thing in a way that we can't see pics of him looking like that, as we have some pretty damn hot ones to remember him by.

melodylee Guest
    Wow. I was such a big AIC fan in the early to mid 90's. Dirt was amazing and got me through some difficult times. While I have listened to their albums a few times since then, I have not really looked up pictures or anything. He looks so young to me now, and I think it's a good thing we can remember him that way. I remember reading about his downward spiral and then, boom...he disappears. I've had friends go down that road and it's not pretty as you guys probably know.