Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

yay Sweetie! I dont know how to do that but would love to see it!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Shano Guest
    quick someone help Sweetie! I want to see!!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I really, really get the impression that the people that bought the property are somehow very intimately acquainted with the family that wa murdered. At first I thought it was one of the children that left it like this. But who else except someone very close would buy such a prime piece of real estate and leave it as is for so much time ??? Makes no sense
    Thats..what..is..odd..to..me.
    Id..like..to..know..more..about
    that..Enriquez..couple..that
    bought..it..and..now..their..son.
    I..dont..know..how..well..to..do
    this..couple..was..that..the
    sale..of..the..property
    was..meaningless.

And..the..Enrique..son
    a..music..store..manager
    couldnt..he..use..the..money?

Id..*Nancy..Drew*..over..there
    Novstorm.

I would love to go through that house. I am going crazy imagining what is in those presents! You could make a killing on eBay, if you wanted to.

I think they have left it alone because it HAS been left alone, if that makes sense. You think because something has been there so long, it might as well be left longer.

I have two rooms in my basement that have been closed off (probably in the 30s/40s) and I have never even peeked in them. I have severe basement fear, though, and I have only been in our basement maybe 6 times in 16 years. The laundry room is down there, so thank goodness my husband does the wash!

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    I would love to go through that house. I am going crazy imagining what is in those presents! You could make a killing on eBay, if you wanted to.

I think they have left it alone because it HAS been left alone, if that makes sense. You think because something has been there so long, it might as well be left longer.

I have two rooms in my basement that have been closed off (probably in the 30s/40s) and I have never even peeked in them. I have severe basement fear, though, and I have only been in our basement maybe 6 times in 16 years. The laundry room is down there, so thank goodness my husband does the wash!

Wow! You may have an unclaimed fortune in those two rooms! lol

I come up there and look in them with you!

cubbiecatz Guest
    What, no pictures yet?? Someone get to that house now.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbiecatz View Post
    What, no pictures yet?? Someone get to that house now.

I KNOW.....dammit

imadeathhag Guest
    Sweetie,

On the quick reply box, click the go advanced button to change the size of the fonts. See if that helps.

sweetie103 Guest
    Sorry, I have tried everything that I know, which isn't much since I am not computer savvy. I copied and pasted into a word document, into several pages actually but it still tells me its too big. Im sure there is an easy way to overcome this but I have no idea what it is.

If anyone is interested in the article just pm me with your address and I will send it to you. Sorry guys! I tried.

sweetie103 Guest
    I am planning on taking a trip down there within the next 2 weeks. I grew up on the border of Los Feliz and cant believe I never knew about this place. I will post pics from the trip unless someone else makes it down there first.

newsocks Guest
    its not a question in my mind that scott knows exactly where that is.

i would LOVE to go up there sometime and snoop around. i think though, for a FACT, that the neighbors would shoo anybody away since its such a close house to house area.
    maybe i will convincen my boyfriend (wouldnt take much) to go up there soon and snap some photos.

imadeathhag Guest
    I wonder if Scott can convince the current owner for a video tour of the house heck, he was able to get the keys to the Wonderland murders apartment. Scott help!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    This is a fantastic post!

octobersky Guest
    This is so interesting. I can't wait to see more pictures.

sunshine2828 Guest
    This is the coolest thread...what an amazing story! Can't wait to the some more pics. I bet the house is completely haunted and that's why no one could ever live there...sorry too much Chill channel today.

What a cool thread...thanks for posting it. And thanks to everyone who has added pics and info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RogerV Guest
    Sweetie very kindly sent me the pdf file with the original newspaper story. It in fact doesn't tell us much, if anything, that we don't know already. There are (very grainy) pictures of police entering the house, a group portrait of the Perelson family, and a high school graduation portrait of the eldest daughter who ran to a neighbor's house for help.

It mentions there was evidence the family had financial difficulties and the usual comments from family and friends who were baffled that the doctor would do such a thing.

One line, "Intimates at the clinic were unaware that he (the doctor) was ill, as reported" does jump out. WHERE was this reported, and just WHAT was said? Is this what gave rise to the rumor that the doctor was mentally ill? As I've said before, at that time and place, having a family member in a mental institution was as bad if not worse than having a family member in prison.

It also gives a value of $60,000 for the house, which seems even for the times, on the low side -- my parents built a 2,000 square-foot ranch house in a middle-of-nowhere small town for $19,000 in 1959/60. This might partially be explained by the fact that a house built in the Twenties would have been considered very old-fashioned and out of date by the late 1950's. At that time, nobody except eccentrics restored houses. UPDATE and MODERNIZE were the words of the moment -- throw out all your beautiful period furniture and replace it with Danish Modern, even though you're putting it in a period Spanish Colonial house.

Today ,when we watch the wonderful campy movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, we see a beautiful old period house. However, at the time the movie was made, it was considered to be way out of style, and just added to the generally creepy nature of the film. However, I digress.

Thank you everyone who has weighed in on this thread... we're all waiting for the latest input!
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-08-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: to fix a spelling error

Shano Guest
    Roger, can you post the pic of the family that is in the article?

sweetie103 Guest
    i hope this came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	12443  

sweetie103 Guest
    The quality is not great but this is what the archive gave me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12444  

Lisamarie Guest
    Okay also anyonhe remeber that cheesy movie bodydouble the scene where the guy is following the girl around thats the driveway she comes outta of!!! Crazy! And also Im

Lisamarie Guest
    Ooops friggin hooked...I will brave the spiders and Im terrified of spiders to snoop around that place....wow this is one of the best threads ever!!! What I would give to look around.....aww man get some more pics someone...what happened to the daughter??

Lisamarie Guest
    He had a kind of crazy look about him .....

Lisamarie Guest
    Police found Perelson lying dead on the floor next to his wife's blood-soaked bed. He was still clutching the hammer. On a nightstand next to his bed, investigators found an open copy of Dante's "Divine Comedy," which was opened to Canto 1.

"Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, for the straightforward pathway had been lost . . . ," read the passage.

hmmmm ..pretty heavy reading...I wonder what the hell this guy did it for..why beat her with a hammer....my God....Also the pic of the couch sitting there is freaky cause I can see her picki8ng it out......creepy man...I love it almost as much as the russian skiers....

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post

It also gives a value of $60,000 for the house, which seems even for the times, on the low side -- my parents built a 2,000 square-foot ranch house in a middle-of-nowhere small town for $19,000 in 1959/60. This might partially be explained by the fact that a house built in the Twenties would have been considered very old-fashioned and out of date by the late 1950's. At that time, nobody except eccentrics restored houses. UPDATE and MODERNIZE were the words of the moment -- throw out all your beautiful period furniture and replace it with Danish Modern, even though you're putting it in a period Spanish Colonial house.
    Interesting that the assessment at the time valued the house at $60k!!! Wow...and now they are thinking it could go for millions if sold today.

Thanks for the updates gang!!! I've been looking around on the web and come up with not very much too. This is such an interesting case...and the house is so interesting...I still wonder who owned the house prior to the Doctor and his wife. If they were major players in Hollywood...etc...
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Shano Guest
    I know here in Missouri you can find out who all has owned a home, how much their taxes are, when the bought it etc. on a government website.

I wonder if there is anything like that for California....my hubby is good at finding this stuff out but he is currently hurling his brains out. He has the tummy virus going around. But maybe I might be able to find something....

I'll look!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    I know here in Missouri you can find out who all has owned a home, how much their taxes are, when the bought it etc. on a government website.

I wonder if there is anything like that for California....my hubby is good at finding this stuff out but he is currently hurling his brains out. He has the tummy virus going around. But maybe I might be able to find something....

I'll look!

Yes, you can find that information in all states. I just did a quick look to see if L.A. County has its records online, and I didn't get very far. Possibly someone with more experience in that type of search might do better.

Nicki Guest
    Here is California....at least in my county all you have to do is go to the Recorders Office which is usually connected to the County Clerks Office. You will find all the information you need there.

well, I tried the LA county assessor's office...but it cost money to look things up!!!

Here's the link:

http://assessor.lacounty.gov/extrane...es/online.aspx

It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Lisamarie Guest
    omg I couldent get the damn house outta my mind all day! Its adeathga paradise...I wonder if there is still blood.....and whats in the gifts!!! Dude its killin me!!!! Someone get into that house!!!!!

Harrietd Guest
    I want that house. I agree with the theory that the guy who owns it has close ties to the family. Or his is mentally ill. When I was 16 I skipped school and went home while my parents were at work and verrrrrry carefully opened all my Christmas presents under the tree - this was a good two weeks before Christmas - and rewrapped them 'cause I just couldn't stand the suspence any longer. And these presents have been standing around unopened for how long? I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Lisamarie Guest
    okay lets go....I will brave the spiders!!!!!!!

NOVSTORM Guest
    My friend and I are trying to set it up to go creepy crawling around the 1st weekend in March or the 2nd.. I wont break and enter but I will try to get some shots thru the windows and will take windex with me too..he better not back out on me either lol
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 02-12-2009 at 05:39 PM.

I would love love love to see some pics of the inside of this house

burgtwngrl Guest
    Such an interesting thread. I can't imagine letting that house just rot. what a waste. If that house was built in grand style in the 20's chances are someone famous built it. That house may have tons more history behind it.

Lisamarie Guest
    Im wondering about the bedrooms....the murder rooms....the bathrooms...like is her makeup and cloths still just sitting there all moth bitten and moldy...the kids room...what about these kids they are never curiouse ? I mean what a weird way to keep a house like that! Just like a time capsule but what a weird time capsule!

fultondyke Guest
    With all the drfting "hippie' squaters that were around LA in the 60s, surely SOMEBODY tried to stay in that abandoned house at some time....

Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    With all the drfting "hippie' squaters that were around LA in the 60s, surely SOMEBODY tried to stay in that abandoned house at some time....
    They tried to stay, but a ghost brandishing a hammer chased them out. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All I know is I would go in a minute to explore that place, especially the Christmas presents. Spiders don't scare me, either.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

fultondyke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    They tried to stay, but a ghost brandishing a hammer chased them out. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All I know is I would go in a minute to explore that place, especially the Christmas presents. Spiders don't scare me, either.

Well, all you southern Cal hags, I want to know if any of you are chased out of the house by a hammer-wielding wraith who is screaming "Get outta my house ya damn hippie!!!"...

burgtwngrl Guest
    Yes this seems to be the creepiest stories I've heard of in a long time.

imadeathhag Guest
    I know! I can't stop thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Im wondering about the bedrooms....the murder rooms....the bathrooms...like is her makeup and cloths still just sitting there all moth bitten and moldy...the kids room...what about these kids they are never curiouse ? I mean what a weird way to keep a house like that! Just like a time capsule but what a weird time capsule!
    Quote Originally Posted by imadeathhag
    I know! I can't stop thinking about it!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Lisa and Ima!!! I want that house too!!!! And normally, I wouldn't go for that style of house...but the history is fascinating!!! And it's next to a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Lisa and Ima!!! I want that house too!!!! And normally, I wouldn't go for that style of house...but the history is fascinating!!! And it's next to a Frank Lloyd Wright house.
    Alright you guys, I claimed it FIRST, so back off. I'm just waiting to win the lottery.

The only situation I've ever encountered even remotely like this one was an estate sale (not in the house, though) of the personal and professional possessions of an eye doctor and his wife. They were both killed in a car crash in the late 1940's, and their daughter had EVERYTHING from their home put in storage for something like 40+ years.

Believe it or not, there were dirty dishes... boxes of corn flakes and bags of potato chips from the 40's... clothing, furniture... medical equipment... EVERYTHING. I think I heard that proceeds from the sale didn't even cover the storage fees.

However, to have an entire HOUSE in the same situation?? It's mind boggling.

I wonder about the younger children... presumably they were raised by relatives in the East. Were they ever told the full story? Were they ever curious enough to come back to see the house?

And what happened to the bodies? Presumably there had to be some kind of PM's done on them, so I'd guess that there's a coroner's report SOMEWHERE. Were they buried or cremated together, or did her family not want her remains resting anywhere near his?

SO many questions without answers!

Lisamarie Guest
    thats what Im wondering...like are they all buried together.....are the children aware ? How about the survivimg girl....I would love to hear her story...so I hear your dad went nuts.....okay people lets go look at that house!!!

LemonPopsicle Guest
    It's a beautiful house! I want to go explore it. I'd brave the spiders as well.

Great story! Thanks for posting and thanks to all who have added to it. Here's the Zillow listing for the property

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24...20809000_zpid/

They show a current value of $2,833,500 with 5.050 sq ft, 4 bedrooms & 3 terlits, 12 total rooms. Of course it doesn't have many of the fancy upgrades the wealthy LA folks are accustomed to and they certainly couldn't live with only 3 terlits, but it still is a gorgeous home.

Wouldn't it be incredibly expensive to fix up? Worth it, though.

This would definitely be an interesting house to visit. One of the reasons I used to love going to estate sales was the occasional sale where the house looked as though you were in a time warp - 50's era furnishings, carpets, and other decor. Old basements with ancient kitchen appliances, games, records and doo-dads. This place must be full of stuff like that with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure.

The story of the father as a doctor who got in over his head while living the high life isn't that unusual. I recall a doctor who moved into our area and built a huge mansion (had to be over 10,000 sq ft) with elevators, underground garage, etc. overlooking the lake. A couple of years later it suddenly looked abandoned and sure enough, the news was leaked out that he had lost some research grant funding, couldn't afford the house any longer and committed suicide in that lovely home. Same thing - there was very little mention of it in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Great story! Thanks for posting and thanks to all who have added to it. Here's the Zillow listing for the property

They show a current value of $2,833,500 with 5.050 sq ft, 4 bedrooms & 3 terlits, 12 total rooms. Of course it doesn't have many of the fancy upgrades the wealthy LA folks are accustomed to and they certainly couldn't live with only 3 terlits, but it still is a gorgeous home.

This would definitely be an interesting house to visit. One of the reasons I used to love going to estate sales was the occasional sale where the house looked as though you were in a time warp - 50's era furnishings, carpets, and other decor. Old basements with ancient kitchen appliances, games, records and doo-dads. This place must be full of stuff like that with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure.

The story of the father as a doctor who got in over his head while living the high life isn't that unusual. I recall a doctor who moved into our area and built a huge mansion (had to be over 10,000 sq ft) with elevators, underground garage, etc. overlooking the lake. A couple of years later it suddenly looked abandoned and sure enough, the news was leaked out that he had lost some research grant funding, couldn't afford the house any longer and committed suicide in that lovely home. Same thing - there was very little mention of it in the news.
    It's like a time capsule!!! I just can't get this house and the story out of my head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV
    Alright you guys, I claimed it FIRST, so back off. I'm just waiting to win the lottery.
    Fair enough Roger...but I want to stay a week if I could!!

I found this privious owner??!!

http://www.lfia.com/RegPages/census/CenBody.shtml

2475 Glendower Place (Rents for $250 per month):
    1930 census: 1) Fred Zelnick, renter and head of household; 44 year old white married male; married at age 35; born in Russia; parents born in Austria; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; a director in the cinema. 2) Alexandria Zelnick, wife; 32 year old white married female; married at age 22; born in Latvia; parents born in Latvia; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; an actress in the cinema. 3) William Krieger, chauffeur; 28 year old single white male; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1925, citizenship pending; a chauffeur in a private family. 4) Emma Letzien, cook; 40 year old single white female; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1923; citizenship pending; a cook in a private family. (19th ED, page 18B, lines 67-70).
    Last edited by girl incognito; 02-10-2009 at 02:41 PM.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post

Hmmm... nice work. I'm guessing the count of bedrooms and terlits doesn't include the servants' quarters in the basement.

If it's so far gone that it can't be renovated, it's definitely the sort of place that should be "deconstructed" instead of torn down. That means actually taking the house apart and saving anything that's still good, like doors, bathroom fixtures, light fixtures, even flooring and appliances.
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-10-2009 at 03:20 PM.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    http://www.lfia.com/RegPages/census/CenBody.shtml

2475 Glendower Place (Rents for $250 per month):
    1930 census: 1) Fred Zelnick, renter and head of household; 44 year old white married male; married at age 35; born in Russia; parents born in Austria; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; a director in the cinema. 2) Alexandria Zelnick, wife; 32 year old white married female; married at age 22; born in Latvia; parents born in Latvia; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; an actress in the cinema. 3) William Krieger, chauffeur; 28 year old single white male; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1925, citizenship pending; a chauffeur in a private family. 4) Emma Letzien, cook; 40 year old single white female; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1923; citizenship pending; a cook in a private family. (19th ED, page 18B, lines 67-70).
    Fred Zelnick's name sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I looked him up. He was a film director who worked mostly in the UK and Germany. I'm guessing he was renting the house while working on something in Hollywood, though I can't say what. I wonder who else lived there over the years??