Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Father Leaves Toddler in Car

Father Leaves Toddler in Car

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In the hours after a distraught father was taken away in handcuffs, Cobb County investigators searched the man’s workplace for clues to the death of his 22-month-old son.

Search warrants were executed at the Home Depot office where Justin Ross Harris worked and where he told police he was when he forgot his toddler was strapped into his carseat, Channel 2 Action News reported Friday. Details about what was found have not been released. But within five hours of young Cooper Harris being declared dead in a shopping center parking lot Wednesday afternoon, his father was arrested and charged with felony murder and cruelty to children.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/authori...office-/ngP33/
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-21-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post

In the hours after a distraught father was taken away in handcuffs, Cobb County investigators searched the man’s workplace for clues to the death of his 22-month-old son.

Search warrants were executed at the Home Depot office where Justin Ross Harris worked and where he told police he was when he forgot his toddler was strapped into his carseat, Channel 2 Action News reported Friday. Details about what was found have not been released. But within five hours of young Cooper Harris being declared dead in a shopping center parking lot Wednesday afternoon, his father was arrested and charged with felony murder and cruelty to children.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/authori...office-/ngP33/
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-05-2014 at 09:01 PM.

I just can't wrap my mind around forgetting a child.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-21-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    And this happens several times every year. I mean everyone knows not to leave your kid in an unattended car. Poor cute lil fella. Just tragic.

I got flamed on Facebook, by a relative, no less, for saying "How could anyone forget their child in a car *all day*?" Since I'm not a parent and never will be, I don't get an opinion on that, or breast feeding a 7 year old, or self esteem parenting... but I digress. I still say I cannot imagine any scenario where I could forget my child was in a hot car all day. Summer doesn't officially start until today and it seems like this is the third case I've heard about already.

I'm not a parent either, but I've kept many many children and never forgot one.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm not a parent and I can't fathom it either. Shit I've remembered things like leaving the curling iron on once I'm halfway to work, I would think that sometime during the day I would remember the kid. Actually I can't even imagine forgetting the kid in the first place.

When I have taken care of my friend's kids, I have been amazed at how much the mothering instinct comes out. They are all I thought about. When I watched my bff's kids overnight once I could not believe how all of a sudden I could hear every little noise at night (and immediately worried it was something with the children upon waking) when usually I'm a very sound sleeper. Every little sniffle, every cough, etc...

I wonder what they found that led them to press charges. Usually they don't do that. As you all know we usually see several of these over the summer.
    2 comments on that, how come we never hear about people forgetting their kids in winter where they freeze to death, and I know I've posted this before but they always say put something important next to your child, like your cell phone, so you don't forget them... which always makes me think, isn't your child your most important thing?? Are we honestly at a point where a cell phone is more worthy of remember than a child?/
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 06-21-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Yeah... that's a pretty bad fuck up.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I'm not a parent, but I would like to think that I have enough common sense not to leave a child in a hot car.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

I think there's more to it than revealed by LE.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-21-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

There must be cindy. I don't think I have ever seen a parent prosecuted for this before. It's always just kind of assumed it was an accident and that losing the kid is punishment enough. I'm really curious where they are getting this was deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    There must be cindy. I don't think I have ever seen a parent prosecuted for this before. It's always just kind of assumed it was an accident and that losing the kid is punishment enough. I'm really curious where they are getting this was deliberate.
    I have heard what it is, but it may not be the truth, so I'm going to wait and see before updating.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This is such a sad story, I can't even start know what to say
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 06-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

This is a story from CNN, from yesterday, and the comments... my goodness, talk about a hot button issue!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/tod...r-death-probe/

Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    This is a story from CNN, from yesterday, and the comments... my goodness, talk about a hot button issue!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/tod...r-death-probe/
    Thanks for sharing this, madeline.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

So, he left him in the car but he also forgot to drop him off at daycare.....hmmmmm...How do you forget to drop your child off at daycare and then forget he is in the car all day???

Mammy Guest
    I'll bet he knew right where his cellphone was all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I'll bet he knew right where his cellphone was all day.
    Sad, isn't it?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Sad, isn't it?
    Yes, extremely sad. That poor baby boy.

Those comments are interesting. Some speculation that something may have happened at home and he put the kid in the car and left him as a cover. Someone else also said it is weird that he drove 3 miles from work to the mall, again without noticing the kid after work, then noticed at the mall, where he had a larger audience for his "find".

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Those comments are interesting. Some speculation that something may have happened at home and he put the kid in the car and left him as a cover. Someone else also said it is weird that he drove 3 miles from work to the mall, again without noticing the kid after work, then noticed at the mall, where he had a larger audience for his "find".
    Certainly makes you wonder.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

UPDATE

Aha!

Sources: Father knew toddler was in SUV

The father of a 22-month-old toddler found dead in the back of an SUV Wednesday knew the child had been left in the vehicle, sources familiar with the investigation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution late Tuesday.

That information differs from Justin Ross Harris’ initial statements to Cobb County police, including that he mistakenly left his son in his carseat while he went to work last week. Harris, 33, of Marietta, said he only realized the boy, Cooper Mills Harris, was in the backseat when he was driving away from his job at a Home Depot corporate office, police said at the scene.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/cops-cobb-toddlers-death-investigation-continues-t/ngRf

I have a source of my own and it looks like she was right, at least as far as I can say now.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I know I sound hypocritical because my memory is not that great & I'm only 30 but I would know if I 1. had a kid & 2. where the last place I left it was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I know I sound hypocritical because my memory is not that great & I'm only 30 but I would know if I 1. had a kid & 2. where the last place I left it was.
    The article I just posted stated that he did in fact know he left the child in the car.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MissZoot Guest
    Cindy, you probably don't want to answer, but I'll ask anyway-do they think that that poor Cooper was already dead when his dad left him in the car, or was he left there to die? Either one is horrible, but it's excruciating to think that anyone could do something to hurt a child and then decide that the best solution to the problem would be to inflict a slow, agonizing death to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    Cindy, you probably don't want to answer, but I'll ask anyway-do they think that that poor Cooper was already dead when his dad left him in the car, or was he left there to die? Either one is horrible, but it's excruciating to think that anyone could do something to hurt a child and then decide that the best solution to the problem would be to inflict a slow, agonizing death to cover it up.
    It's certainly possible, but none of that was what I was told before the investigation really got started good. The person who told me is a friend of 43 years whose step daughter is a 911 operator.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

No I know & actually I'm talking in general. I checked msn.com & this case is like maybe the 6th or 7th case where someone has "accidentally" left their kid in the car. Thats what I my post was- I read the title. What the heck is up with people forgetting or not-forgetting their kid is in the car with the windows rolled up?? A child is not a dog. Hell even dogs your supposed to call 911 if you see a dog locked in cars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't know, Tiff. Things were different back when I used to haul my nieces and nephews around. People put their babies in a safety seat with the head pointed toward the dash, vs in the back seat. So I never forgot one. When Brittany weighed enough to be buckled in a regular seat belt, she sometimes sat in the back, but I never forgot her. Sissy and Baby never forgot their kids. I just don't know.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MissZoot Guest
    I have kids, they always ride in the backseat, and I have trouble "forgetting" them long enough to pay attention to the cars around me while I'm driving (that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea). I admit to having a bit of an attitude when it comes to hearing about people who do leave the kids in the car, because honestly, if your are SO busy and what you have to do is SO important, why have kids? They aren't accessories that you leave behind when it suits you.

But this one-wow. I'll be watching for updates, Cindy, because as awful as forgetting a child is, this one sounds like it's going to reach a whole new level. I don't even like to think about what this poor little guy suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    I have kids, they always ride in the backseat, and I have trouble "forgetting" them long enough to pay attention to the cars around me while I'm driving (that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea). I admit to having a bit of an attitude when it comes to hearing about people who do leave the kids in the car, because honestly, if your are SO busy and what you have to do is SO important, why have kids? They aren't accessories that you leave behind when it suits you.

But this one-wow. I'll be watching for updates, Cindy, because as awful as forgetting a child is, this one sounds like it's going to reach a whole new level. I don't even like to think about what this poor little guy suffered.
    That's sort of what the cops have told the media. Whatever the case, it will out.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I guess I can somewhat understand their thinking 'okay I'll brb just stay there' like they are gone for 30 seconds & think 30 seconds is not 30 seconds too long to have a child in the car ....Geez I might sound like the worst parent for saying that. Thank the lord I don't have kids but I guess unless your a complete moron - the kids are sleeping in the back seat & think your gonna be right back.... its easy to forget....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just weighing in here about children in backseats vs front. It's the airbags. They can seriously injure a child. If you have a two seat vehicle then you're supposed to face the child away from the dash. Airbags were very uncommon not so many years ago. This info actually came with a child seat I bought for my baby niece. I know most vehicles allow you to turn off the passenger airbags and some won't even trigger unless a certain amount of weight registers on a sensor in the seat. But the book with the seat said what I've posted. Hope it helps.

As for this case I think they should just Cool Hand Luke this bastard and lock him in a tin box.
    Last edited by McMorbid; 06-24-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    Just weighing in here about children in backseats vs front. It's the airbags. They can seriously injure a child. If you have a two seat vehicle then you're supposed to face the child away from the dash. Airbags were very uncommon not so many years ago. This info actually came with a child seat I bought for my baby niece. I know most vehicles allow you to turn off the passenger airbags and some won't even trigger unless a certain amount of weight registers on a sensor in the seat. But the book with the seat said what I've posted. Hope it helps.

As for this case I think they should just Cool Hand Luke this bastard and lock him in a tin box.
    My nieces and nephews were babies in the mid 80s and early 90s. I don't remember about airbags in newer models, but I drove cars that either didn't have them at all. When they were infants, I always turned the car seat so that the back of the head pointed toward the dash, and later when they had some growth on them I turned it around so that they faced the windshield. They should have been in the back, but them were the days. At least they were in car seats. I used to stand up between mama and daddy and one day a drunk driving a pickup hit us head on and I went flying through the windshield. True story. My Uncle Slim happened along and saw it all.

We need to move on.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I never fell out of the back of any pickup growing up, that I can remember.

My nieces and nephews were babies in the mid 80s and early 90s. I don't remember about airbags in newer models, but I drove cars that either didn't have them at all. When they were infants, I always turned the car seat so that the back of the head pointed toward the dash, and later when they had some growth on them I turned it around so that they faced the windshield. They should have been in the back, but them were the days. At least they were in car seats. I used to stand up between mama and daddy and one day a drunk driving a pickup hit us head on and I went flying through the windshield. True story. My Uncle Slim happened along and saw it all.

We need to move on.
    Yea during the 80s-90's I was young & even rode in the back of my dad's truck & that was so much fun! Although I never had an accident while being in the back of the truck it stopped quickly. Even car seats policies have changed and I wasn't in a car seat like the young children today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So far the only stupid thoughts I've had as a parent was running into a store really quick while my kid was in the car with the car running and ac on. I never did it, but I've thought about doing it and the reason was always "it would be easier as I only need to grab one thing, blah blah" I'd think you'd have to be in a mental state of having SO MUCH shit going on in your head that you just somehow think you already dropped the kid off at daycare or forgot you ever had him in the car. I can see it happening (as scary as it seems) if the parent is just super overwhelmed, I mean obviously it happens a lot so it's not that unfathomable.

I refused to ride in the front of a truck growing up. It's still common to see that around here but I personally don't let kids ride in the back of my truck unless we're off road and moving slow. I don't even remember child seats when I was a chap. I do remember my mom throwing the ole arm bar across my chest when she had to brake fast though. We had seat belts but she still held us in place like the guard mom she is.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Not Fade Away Guest
    I will admit to once forgetting to buckle my baby's car seat harness She started to cry and I pulled over and she had fallen partially out. I literally was sick for hours about that, and I had A LOT going on emotionally at the time and really beat myself up about it. I always bring my baby in with me to stores, even if I'm just going in to drop cash down to pay for gas. I actually am terrified of forgetting her in the car, but thats because I'm a relatively new mom and I worry about everything. I can't see me actually DOING that.

Mammy Guest
    Somebody should pin that son of a bitch down where he can't escape from a blazing hot vehicle in a hot parking lot in the Georgia heat. He knew that helpless baby was in the vehicle and chose to leave him there all day. We all know how hot a vehicle is when we first get inside of it after it has been sitting in a store parking lot while we were inside the store, yet he made the choice to leave his little boy in the vehicle all day long. He should be charged for torture, too. I hope his selfish ass is convicted and never gets out!

UPDATE: An updated arrest warrant offers new details into the hours leading up to the death of a 22-month old toddler inside his father’s SUV. The father and son stopped for breakfast on the way to work and the father returned to the SUV during the day, something he may not have told police.
    After the child died, Justin Ross Harris, 33, of Marietta, was charged with murder and cruelty to children in the first degree, according to Cobb County police. The first degree cruelty to children charge was downgraded Tuesday to second degree, according to a warrant released Wednesday. A first degree cruelty charge implies criminal intent. A second degree charge means investigators believe there was negligence, not criminal intent.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/cops-co...inues-t/ngRfn/
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

UPDATE: An updated arrest warrant offers new details into the hours leading up to the death of a 22-month old toddler inside his father’s SUV. The father and son stopped for breakfast on the way to work and the father returned to the SUV during the day, something he may not have told police.
    After the child died, Justin Ross Harris, 33, of Marietta, was charged with murder and cruelty to children in the first degree, according to Cobb County police. The first degree cruelty to children charge was downgraded Tuesday to second degree, according to a warrant released Wednesday. A first degree cruelty charge implies criminal intent. A second degree charge means investigators believe there was negligence, not criminal intent.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/cops-co...inues-t/ngRfn/

Aha. I knew there had to be more to the story if they felt secure charging him. That poor baby... if it turns out he did do it intentionally, how do you do that to your child? I hate people sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    Aha. I knew there had to be more to the story if they felt secure charging him. That poor baby... if it turns out he did do it intentionally, how do you do that to your child? I hate people sometimes.
    I know, it just boggles my mind. And how on earth can you eat breakfast with your child and then forget them?

This just in:

Autopsy determines toddler??s manner of death was homicide

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...-was-ho/ngSXS/

The autopsy conducted on the 22-month-old left inside an SUV for seven hours determined the manner of death was a homicide, Cobb County police said late Wednesday afternoon. The boy??s death was not simple negligence, the police Chief said.

??The Cobb County Medical Examiner??s Office is waiting for toxicology test results before making an official ruling as to the cause and manner of death,? police said in a written statement. ??However, the Cobb County Medical Examiner believes the cause of death is consistent with hyperthermia and the investigative information suggests the manner of death is homicide.?

Poor little button.

Last edited by cindyt; 06-25-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    I wonder if it made the "father" feel good to feed the little guy a last meal before leaving him to die? The article stated that the Chik-Fil-A where they ate was close to where the guy worked, so there's no way he forgot the little boy was in the vehicle in that short distance and also unlikely that the boy had fallen asleep. He also would have been in a forward facing car seat and the guy went out to his vehicle during his lunch break. He knew all along that baby was in the vehicle.

I wonder if it made the "father" feel good to feed the little guy a last meal before leaving him to die? The article stated that the Chik-Fil-A where they ate was close to where the guy worked, so there's no way he forgot the little boy was in the vehicle in that short distance and also unlikely that the boy had fallen asleep. He also would have been in a forward facing car seat and the guy went out to his vehicle during his lunch break. He knew all along that baby was in the vehicle.
    Since we know he delibertly left the baby in the car, I will tell yall what the 911 operator told her dad, who is married to my friend of 43 years.

Anyway, she told her dad that the father didn't realize he had forgotten the baby until he was in the parking lot at work and he decided to leave baby in the car with the engine A/C running, because, if he took him back to the daycare or wherever, he would be late for work.

Now, they are saying that the baby may not have died from the heat.They are waiting for the baby's tox report. So take what the 911 operator said and put it with the dad drugging? the baby and leaving him with A/C/motor running, thinking he would be okay until he got off work. So when he came back out at lunch (to check on the baby?), the baby appeared to be asleep, and may have been at that point, sometime between being left in the car and dad getting off work, he died of an OD?. (A lot of speculation on my part.) They may think he was drugged. This just makes me want to barf.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Since we know he delibertly left the baby in the car, I will tell yall what the 911 operator told her dad, who is married to my friend of 43 years. Now, remember this may not be true and doesn't seem to jibe with the breakfast at Chic-Fil-A. (Of course, she couldn't have known much at the time.)

Anyway, she told her dad that the father didn't realize he had forgotten the baby until he was in the parking lot at work and he decided to leave baby in the car with the engine A/C running, because, if he took him back to the daycare or wherever, he would be late for work.

Now, they are saying that the baby may not have died from the heat. They are waiting for the baby's tox report. They may think he was drugged. This just makes me want to barf.
    When you take into consideration what the Dad has been charged with, it makes much more sense. Other parents who have had their children die like this haven't faced such serious charges. Some of them have never been charged at all. Has the little boy's Mom made any statements? I haven't seen anything online about her other than a picture or two taken from Facebook.

When you take into consideration what the Dad has been charged with, it makes much more sense. Other parents who have had their children die like this haven't faced such serious charges. Some of them have never been charged at all. Has the little boy's Mom made any statements? I haven't seen anything online about her other than a picture or two taken from Facebook.
    Haven't heard a peep about the mom.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Haven't heard a peep about the mom.
    I can't imagine the things that must be going through her mind. However the poor little guy died, I hope it was fast so he didn't have to suffer for long. He was so cute.

God was with him, of that I'm sure.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    God was with him, of that I'm sure.
    I know, he was just so little and couldn't comprehend what was happening to him.

I know, he was just so little and couldn't comprehend what was happening to him.
    I know.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD