Page 1 of 45 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Local News and Police Blotter

deathybrad Guest

Local News and Police Blotter

Body found on rood of mobile home.

[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Ames police, fire rescue and paramedics respond to a call this morning of a body on top of the roof of a mobile home at 103 Orange Ave, within the Old Orchard Mobile Home Park in Ames. Helen Schroeder, 78, was cleaning the gutters of her roof. Ames Police Department said her death appeared to be from natural causes.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

Yeah, that'd be the talk o' the town alright.

onehunglow Guest

At least she went out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Body found on rood of mobile home.

[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Ames police, fire rescue and paramedics respond to a call this morning of a body on top of the roof of a mobile home at 103 Orange Ave, within the Old Orchard Mobile Home Park in Ames. Helen Schroeder, 78, was cleaning the gutters of her roof. Ames Police Department said her death appeared to be from natural causes.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]
    Could have bit it on the scud.

magblax Guest

Local News and Police Blotter

I thought a saw a thread about members posting local news but I couldn't find it when I did a search. If this is a repeat ...sorry. Anyway I thought I'd share a local story from here in Arizona. This happened a couple days ago about a mile from where I live...

"Chandler Dad Kills 2 Children and Himself"
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/102088

I can't even imagine what the children's mother must be going through.

onehunglow Guest

No one can

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    I thought a saw a thread about members posting local news but I couldn't find it when I did a search. If this is a repeat ...sorry. Anyway I thought I'd share a local story from here in Arizona. This happened a couple days ago about a mile from where I live...

"Chandler Dad Kills 2 Children and Himself"
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/102088

I can't even imagine what the children's mother must be going through.
    We had one when I was a firefighter. There is no way to understand insanity. A sane person would never even let this enter their mind.

Kathyf Guest
    Just sick! We had a guy over the summer kill his whole family.

warmbear Guest
    It is surprising that he did not take (or try to take) the children's mother with him as well.. I have seen this "up close and personal" a couple of times, and usually the mother of the children is also shot. Sometimes they also set the house afire after shooting everyone else.. Who knows what is going thru their minds when they do this sort of thing.... It is very sad.

deathybrad Guest

New death right in front of me!

A train hit (at least) two cars this morning in town about an hour and a half ago. I got pretty close, they hadn't moved one car, I think they were waiting for the coroner or something (maybe a death hag can explain that one to me). The other was an older 4 door Chevy Blazer that was so badly damaged they hauled it to the body shop/scrap yard on an end loader.

I'll try to get a picture when I leave work.

Kathyf Guest
    How terrible! My husband is a train conductor I know when they hit someone they have to look and report on it. I am sure there are a lot of people who investigate it.

panda Guest
    Three years ago on the 4th or july we were watching fireworks in a parking lot by some tracks. The tracks cross the intersection at an angle & if you're coming from the east heading west, you can't see the train, and with the fireworks, you couldn't hear one either. A group of bikers drives by & the first ones go through the crossing gates, the train was much too close for the last guy to go but he couldn't see or hear it. It was not his time to go that night because at the last minute he slammed on the brakes & I swear you couldn't put a piece of paper between him & that train! it scared the hell out of all of us, people that had their kids there had their eyes covered! My dad is a retired railroad cop, I've been told my entire life that trains are not something to mess with......you're not going to win.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Three years ago on the 4th or july we were watching fireworks in a parking lot by some tracks. The tracks cross the intersection at an angle & if you're coming from the east heading west, you can't see the train, and with the fireworks, you couldn't hear one either. A group of bikers drives by & the first ones go through the crossing gates, the train was much too close for the last guy to go but he couldn't see or hear it. It was not his time to go that night because at the last minute he slammed on the brakes & I swear you couldn't put a piece of paper between him & that train! it scared the hell out of all of us, people that had their kids there had their eyes covered! My dad is a retired railroad cop, I've been told my entire life that trains are not something to mess with......you're not going to win.
    Never take a chance! Too many people go around the tracks or spped to try to beat the train and never do.

motherogod Guest
    A train hit (at least) two cars this morning in town about an hour and a half ago. I got pretty close, they hadn't moved one car, I think they were waiting for the coroner or something (maybe a death hag can explain that one to me). The other was an older 4 door Chevy Blazer that was so badly damaged they hauled it to the body shop/scrap yard on an end loader.

Your avatar looks like you already got a picture! Just kidding-- but isn't that odd about the coroner thing? I guess for our beloved picture-taking needs.

deathybrad Guest
    Witnesses tell police the driver drove around the railroad crossing arms and hit a westbound train around 2:30 a.m.
    The impact spun the SUV around, landing in the path of a second eastbound train. Police said the car is a total loss.
    Officers said the car had been reported stolen shortly before the accident.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlazerTrain.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1478  

About ten years ago I was on a train that ran over a woman in Cambridge, Mass. There was a hole cut in the fence between a shopping center and a huge apartment complex, and people cut through there all the time. If I remember, it takes a train a mile to stop if it's going full speed. The poor woman, and the poor train engineer, had no chance. A bunch of guys had to crawl around under the train with flashlights while we all sat there, wondering what was going on- don't envy them _that_ job- ugh! Judging by the shape under the tarp they put over her, she was missing her limbs or was in pieces (quite likely both). I've stood near those tracks myself, and it's impossible to hear the train until it's right on top of you, and it's going full speed between two stations at that point. Definitely have to look both ways out there. I _never_ run the gates at a crossing, but I've seen bicyclists and pedestrians do it all the time while I'm sitting at this one particular crossing. Or I have people beep behind me if I stop when the lights start flashing but the gate is only starting to go down! no thanks, not worth it!

magblax Guest
    Scary! I remember hearing one time that the force of a train running over a car is the same as a car running over a soda can.

Paul Stone Guest
    Dayum

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Scary! I remember hearing one time that the force of a train running over a car is the same as a car running over a soda can.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I think they were waiting for the coroner or something (maybe a death hag can explain that one to me).
    In some states, a coroner and a sheriff are pretty much one in the same. The wreck won't have been moved because the coroner would need to evaluate the scene, they pretty much use the same investigatory skills as a police detective, they examine the circumstances and scene of the crash in order to make a full report. I hope that answers your question.

hoxharding Guest
    That is scary! Thanks for the photo.
    Anybody read about the teen who got hit by a train while texting this Summer?

Jazbabee Guest
    I have seen people go around lowered crossing gates on numerous occasions. Why don't these geniuses figure out that they are lowered for a reason ???? Just because you can't see or hear the train does not mean that it's arrival isn't imminent. I get chills whenever I see someone do this !!

ComputerGuy Guest
    Going around the crossing guards is just plain stupid

deathybrad Guest
    When my Dad worked for the railroad they had to bring a small town fire department to hose down the lead engine.

Happens by me all of the time in the 'burbs. We once had an elderly man actually show up at the station a few minutes before the train was scheduled to pass thru, go to the opposite side of the tracks (the ones heading OUT of the city) and actuall kneel, facing away from the train.

I know a few folks who witnessed this and they were screaming at him to get up. He thoroughly intended to commit suicide then and there. The really sad part about it, I spoke to one of the conductors who witnessed it and he actually had to get out of the train, check to see if the man was, indeed, dead, and then get back into the train and go about his business.

I guess they have counseling available for conductors and engineers, but I just don't think I'd ever be able to get over actually striking someone and killing them like that.

The Burlington Northern Sante Fe line is like the suicide corridor. Its really sad....

deathybrad Guest
    We've got an ordinance in our city that the trains can not honk unless provoked to in town. We haven't had anyone or anything hit since in my town.

When Dad worked for the railroad all of the conductors I knew were just shells of human beings because they had to glaze over so many experiences.

Guest Guest
    For 8 years I lived on McNeil Island..it's a medium security Prison, NO my father was NOT an inmate he was the Hospital Administrator and resident PA...

in order to catch the boat you had to cross railroad tracks..about 20 years ago we got off the school bus and heard the train whistle as we walked up the street towards the RR crossing this stupid bitch tried to beat the train...her leg landed about 20 feet from us, one second she was there and the next WHAMMO! she was in pieces...MANY pieces, the RR crossing was shut down for over 11 hours while investigators did their job and the coroner with assistance picked up her pieces that went as far as another 1000 feet up the tracks...it takes few minutes for a train to come completely to a stop especially at that speed, anyone who had to catch the boat had to be redirected to a marina about two miles away...it was a mess and probably the most gruesome I've ever seen

xenaswolf Guest
    This story is in 33 parts. Seems the only way to get it all anymore is to put the chapter number you want in the url...its a tragic story. Sorry I can't find the version with pictures and such

http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/...int.cfm?part=1

Armcast Guest
    The railroad went right through the middle of the town where I grew up. In one school year there were about five train-related accidents at different crossing points. Three of my classmates lost their dads that year in those accidents. It was so horribly sad.

different kind of girl Guest
    Remember Stand By Me? They were searching for a kid hit by a train. He was in one piece, don't think he'd be like that in real life.

Jaxxx Guest

Happy your OK, I'm assuming it was a overwhelming for you.

Kathyf Guest
    yes a terrible thing to see.

Blondin Guest
    Last night I was watching "Taboo" on the National Geographic Channel and one of the piecs was about a death scene clean up company. They showed on guy going over the entire undercarriage of a train that had hit someone to clean up all of the biological matter.

hoxharding Guest
    Anyone see 'Suicide Circle'(aka Suicide Club)
    It is fictional-from Japan I think.
    At the beginning they show 54 school girls lined up waiting for the train. They are giggling and holding hands and jump in front of the train(I personally think Eli stole this for Hostel but only used one girl)
    The sequel shows the same sequence but at two angles never seen before.

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Happy your OK, I'm assuming it was a overwhelming for you.
    I wasn't too bothered, now if they'd derailed the train(s) right in down town that may have been a little traumatic.

b57hrle Guest
    My bf is an engineer, conductor, and trackman for a small line railroad and he sees all kinds of people trying to beat the train basically daily... its so stupid... heres some stopping info on trains...

Be aware trains cannot stop quickly. It can take a mile or more to stop once the emergency brakes are applied. When the engineer can see you, it is already too late to be able to avoid a collision.
    1. 150-car freight train approximate stopping distance
      30 mph = 3,500 feet or 2/3 of a mile
      50 mph = 8,000 feet or 1 1/2 miles
    2. 8-car passenger train approximate stopping distance
      60 mph = 3,500 feet or 2/3 of a mile
      79 mph = 6,000 feet or 1 1/8 miles
    S
    omething really really really sad was something he found on youtube........ Here's a mother with her 4 kids in the van trying to beat a train... all caught on security cameras... in the end she killed herself and 2 of her children trying to beat a train.... you can tell she was so fixated on the train she was trying to beat she never looked the other way to see the 2nd train coming the other way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvtD...eature=related

For me.... waiting a few minutes while a train goes by is a lot better then never getting home again.....

cherryghost Guest
    Suicide and murder, why was she racing the train, typical of our 'you wont beat me', 'I will not wait' mentality!

TheMysterian Guest
    I once wittnessed a guy jump in front of a subway train in N.Y.,the train operator had to crawl under the train to see if the person was still alive. Three of the eight cars had already passed over the man,needless to say there was quite a mess and the guy was dead,it all looked so surreal at the time. I think it is transit authority policy that the operator must check for life after an incident, I know my day was messed up after seeing it as all the people on the platform had to be questioned by the police and we seen them remove his body in two bags.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I can look at pictures and videos of it but I would never want to actually have to witness someone dying.
    Last edited by Flowergrrl; 02-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Double tracks run through the center of my city. In 1999, four days before Christmas, I walked to town and was sitting on a park bench when I happened to look up and see a copter circling around my block. (A train was stopped on the eastbound tracks, but I didn't think anything about it.) I thought the copter was the police looking for a bailer or something, and I decided to go home. I crossed the tracks and was met by crowds of people lining the street. As I walked on down the sidewalk I saw my mother running toward me. She grabbed me in her arms and said "Cindy! I thought it was you!" Turns out the nine year old boy who lived next door to us ran across the tracks to get a Pokemon card he had been wanting for a long time; on the way back he saw the eastbound train stopped, ran around the engine and head long into the engine of the westbound train. Killed him instantly. It was a horrible time, especially at Christmas. Eventually his parents and surviving siblings had to move away, because every time a train went by they were reminded of their loss.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Double tracks run through the center of my city. In 1999, four days before Christmas, I walked to town and was sitting on a park bench when I happened to look up and see a copter circling around my block. (A train was stopped on the eastbound tracks, but I didn't think anything about it.) I thought the copter was the police looking for a bailer or something, and I decided to go home. I crossed the tracks and was met by crowds of people lining the street. As I walked on down the sidewalk I saw my mother running toward me. She grabbed me in her arms and said "Cindy! I thought it was you!" Turns out the nine year old boy who lived next door to us ran across the tracks to get a Pokemon card he had been wanting for a long time; on the way back he saw the eastbound train stopped, ran around the engine and head long into the engine of the westbound train. Killed him instantly. It was a horrible time, especially at Christmas. Eventually his parents and surviving siblings had to move away, because every time a train went by they were reminded of their loss.
    I too; live near some very busy tracks. Trains literally come through here doing forty MPH. Several times each year; someone tries to beat the train and fails.

About four years ago; I was waiting at an intersection for the train; when comming from the opposite direction; I saw a young woman in a truck edge up to the tracks. The train was right there.

I remember thinking, "Go ahead genius, you might make it." And at that moment she went for it. If she hadn't hesitated she would have made it.

The train barely clipped her rear bumper; the truck went spinning wildly; a couple of wheels flew off of it; it barely missed hitting other cars; and it came to rest in a parking lot.

The young woman was not seriously hurt; thankfully; but I bet that she is seriously careful about crossing the tracks now.

About two years ago; just a block from here; as a train approached at high speed; a young man waited until the last second; then jumped onto the tracks and knelt down.

He got his apparent wish.

marimbagirl Guest
    Back in the 50s and 60s, my mom lived in a small town here in Oklahoma and she remembers at least twice a month her father getting calls at home to go and pick up someone who thought they could outrun trains or were so drunk that they parked on the tracks. My grandpa just so happened to own the only car tower and recker in town. He'd have to tow the car back to his car dealership garage for the cops to look over or he'd take it down to the police station right away.

Jazbabee Guest

S
    omething really really really sad was something he found on youtube........ Here's a mother with her 4 kids in the van trying to beat a train... all caught on security cameras... in the end she killed herself and 2 of her children trying to beat a train.... you can tell she was so fixated on the train she was trying to beat she never looked the other way to see the 2nd train coming the other way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvtD...eature=related

For me.... waiting a few minutes while a train goes by is a lot better then never getting home again.....[/quote]

WTF was this woman thinking, and why did she try to do that ??? Makes absolutely NO sense.

Thanks for the post, normally I'd be all over it.

This one; I don't think I care to see.

pryncssdeb Guest
    I remember when that happened, it was on our local (indy) news.

A good friend of ours dodged the arms on the tracks once with ME in the car, 7 months pregnant. I was PISSED. He still denies it.

deb

About 10 years ago now, an Ecuadorian woman led her 4 young sons along the local tracks, and were clipped by a quick commuter train. One boy survived for a day or two, that was all. The woman had been estranged from her husband (he'd gone back to Ecuador), and living with her sister. At some point they had a falling-out, and the mother was taking her boys to some other place to live. In her part of Ecuador, following train tracks is, apparently, a direct route used by some poor folks.

Cathy J. Guest
    Even those miniature trains can be deady...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Indiana_Fun_Park

a story my father had told us many years ago, was his witnessing of a woman decapitated under the old street cars in los angeles. as a young man he said he'll never forget that head rolling in front of them all--
    pull the string!

Bidmor Guest

woman throws her sons off freeway bridge & then jumps herself

A Dallas woman this morning threw her young sons off a freeway overpass into oncoming traffic then jumped herself...all three survived in apparent murder-suicide attempt.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....486ec95a.html

Wow... all three survived, this lady has to be the biggest failure in the history of suicides... then again it was only a 22 feet fall. Falling on their head or a car hitting them would really be their primary concern, well that and the fact their own mother is the one who tossed them.

Fucking wack jobs.
    Last edited by Jason; 03-12-2008 at 08:20 AM.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Makes people in Texas look very good.
    I hope she doesn't get her kids back.

smooches27 Guest
    That is so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    Makes people in Texas look very good.
    I hope she doesn't get her kids back.
    Yeah, I have a feeling she won't.