Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and other strains of coronavirus deaths worldwide

I hope so too, Leasie.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Leasie ,holding a good thought for your Mum.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Testing my 90 year old Mother with dementia in a Nursing Home for the Covid virus. She just has a bad sore throat. I think it will come back negative.
    I hope so too Leasie.

We've had our scare with Covid this week. My roommate, whom I call "K," works in home health care for the elderly. Apparently she was exposed to Covid A WEEK AND A HALF AGO and her company failed to mention that, just kept sending her back. Well, when she got sick, THEN they mentioned that one of her clients had been exposed to it. SHE said she was getting tested, and THEY insisted she not only return to the exposed client, but continue to see OTHER clients. Naturally she refused to see other client. When they kept insisting and trying to send her, she got pissed off and quit. And I don't blame her.

Her test results came back negative, but I'm getting a couple of days off work that I'm taking as mental health days because dammit I need them lately. The last two weeks have been rough on me, and thank GOD I've had Wonder Twin to confide in. I'll call work later tomorrow afternoon and tell them her results came back negative and return to work Tuesday as I'm scheduled.

I usually work Tuesday-Saturday, but the last two weeks has been rough on my mental health and I could use a few days' break. I'll get a day off toward the end of the month when Wonder Twin and Mushu return to visit, but I'll probably switch my day off and work 6 days straight to get the time with them but it's worth it, and they know I'll do it for them in a heartbeat. They're two of the best friends a girl could ever ask for and I love them both so much.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Well, I had a covid 19 concern. Monday will be two weeks since Sissy took her two daughters, son in law, and four little grandsons on vacation in Fort Myers, Fla, for five days. They did stay in a house, but they were on the beach. I don't know how crowded it was. No one is sick yet. Looks like one of them or me would be by now. The power of prayer.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The virus can be active before symptoms manifest, and even if a person doesn't get the virus, he/she can be a carrier for an undetermined length of time. I say undetermined because the CDC has test results that vary widely from two weeks to 30 days. The good thing is you don't have symptoms. The opposite is that you could be a carrier. The chances of the latter are less likely since it sounds like the others haven't caused anyone else to get sick. Your exposure to others outside your home is also minimal which is really good.

I haven't said anything but I had it in February, I got tested in June cause I still felt tired told doctor all my symptoms my test came back positive, I am fine now. My symptoms thankfully were mild, I was shocked as I have asthma and could have been much worse, I felt like I had a horrible case of the flu as well as bronchitis and no sense of smell or taste, body aches, extreme fatigue, chest congestion, I went through three rolls of toilet paper and a box of tissue hacking up phlegm and blowing my nose, hubby stayed in his room and I stayed in mine and I bleached everything down each time I touched a lightswitch, the fridge, sink, toilet.

Mom's test negative. Thanks all.

I'm sure I had it the end of January. Doctor said pneumonia. I get it about every 5 years. I was so sick. I could not breathe. No taste. No smell. So weak. Lasted about 2 weeks. No one around me got it though. Also lost some of my hair on my scalp, not a lot but lost my eye brows and eye lashes. Strange.

Florida father and son, both doctors, die from COVID-19

https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/florid...m-coronavirus/

Leasie they are saying that one of the rare symptoms loosing hair.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Leasie they are saying that one of the rare symptoms loosing hair.
    OMG. I have very thick curly hair but I was freaked. Only plus thing is I no longer have to shave my legs that often.

Yeah I lost some hair but I am also going through early menopause and that is also one of the symptoms , and I too don't have to shave much, so I don't know if mine is COVID related, or the change LOL.

Lot of people developed pneumonia from past flus and died, mostly old or unhealthy, but a fraction were young. Soon as I enter a store I remove that Orwellian slave mask as an encouragement for other freedom lovers to do likewise. Think of the mask as masking tape that burglars apply to the mouths of victimized families to shut them up and take their money and valuables. Cancel culture and doxing for melting snowflakes is trivial in comparison to the very real danger of "re-education camps", as a recorded recommendation from one of Bernie's campaign workers testifies. Hmm, now who is whispering in Joe's mentally coherent ear, of late?

Herman Cain seems to still be opposed to mask mandates even after dying from the virus.
    That's a pretty strong conviction there.

Personally, I have to think that if slowing it down was as simple as putting a piece of paper over your face, it never would have gotten past Wuhan.
    I think the reason the authorities push the mask thing is because they have nothing else.

Some people freak out thinking that there's nothing they can really do and that everything is left to chance.
    So the govt talks up the mask angle to make people feel like they are actually doing something that has value, effect or meaning.
    That's why some people get so freaked out when they see people not wearing a mask, they've latched on to the hope and belief that a piece of paper or cloth over your face will really help; so they unleash their fear and anger and frustration at targets of opportunity.
    The govt should just be honest, drop the mask-querade and say, "Good luck, hope you don't get it and die - maybe always carry a four leaf clover and wear your lucky shirt every day".

I'll nominate Trini Lopez for the list.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

So you don't wear a mask when going shopping?

Masks filter most of the particles when you exhale, sneeze, and cough. Less exposure means less risk. It's not rocket science.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

So you don't wear a mask when going shopping?
    I comply with the local mask mandate and I comply when entering stores that decree or request that people wear masks while inside.
    I think it's silly but I respect the request because I recognize that they have the right to make the request, it would be rude and offensive to some to ignore it.
    I also recognize that a lot of people panic when they encounter others in public who aren't playing along with the mask-querade. Until we had the mask mandate requiring them in public, I avoided shopping in stores that required them.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Masks filter most of the particles when you exhale, sneeze, and cough. Less exposure means less risk. It's not rocket science.
    Not exactly "most".
    They will filter whatever droplets of moisture you exhale\expel that are larger than the pores in the fabric of your mask.
    The germs themselves are much smaller than those pores and will blast right through the mask; as will droplets of moisture that are smaller than the pores of the mask.
    Those droplets of course can be laden with the germs so containing them does reduce some of the expelled germs, and the mask may lessen the distance that you project the germs; or so they say.

Something just isn't right with this whole thing.
    This far into it, I don't personally know anyone who has had it, my workplace has been operating the entire time with 50 or so people coming and going, not one of us has had it; although a couple were exposed to people who had been exposed, but everybody tested negative.

The thing I don't get is that here in MS at the start of it, everything had to shut down - restaurants, bars, barbershops; it was life or death to shut it all down. Once things reopened and the new cases skyrocketed; the Gov said it wasn't necessary to close anything back down, for everybody to just wear a mask and it's all good.

He's a Trump wannabe, so I guess maybe he's just parroting his hero.
    He has actually taken to calling it the "China virus" in the media lately.

I'm not implying that it's not real or not serious, just that something is off about the way it seems to spread around and the way it's been handled by the govt.

Edit: I'll add that you're correct - it is not rocket science.
    It is however Biophysics; which is quite far removed from rocket science, although there might be some overlapping disciplines.
    Last edited by JimC; 09-05-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Jim, I have had it my nephew just got over it, a friend of mine died from it, there really isn't anything off about this whole thing, maybe you guys are lucky, who knows. Our numbers in the area I live are actually dropping we are off the watch list now and things are starting to open up. I am scared at the moment as it feels like my symptoms are coming back, I have a horrible cough and my chest feels congested and my nose is stopped up. I haven't lost my sense of taste but when I do time to get tested again.

The U.S has the highest number of cases worldwide, getting close to 7 million. Plus the highest number of deaths almost 195,000. We are right next door and our cases are less then your deaths, Canada wide. Why is this ? Is it Trump and his inability to handle it from the get go. Are people still not taking it seriously. Or is it just abject stupidity on those who choose to ignore it. I myself wear a mask and follow the protocols, if it helps keep me safe and others I am not going to bitch about it too much. I hate it mind you, but I'll suck it up as long as I have to.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Jim, I have had it my nephew just got over it, a friend of mine died from it, there really isn't anything off about this whole thing, maybe you guys are lucky, who knows. Our numbers in the area I live are actually dropping we are off the watch list now and things are starting to open up. I am scared at the moment as it feels like my symptoms are coming back, I have a horrible cough and my chest feels congested and my nose is stopped up. I haven't lost my sense of taste but when I do time to get tested again.
    Sorry to hear of that, I hope you're not relapsing. Maybe it's just some bug that will be less serious and pass quickly.
    My son and his family just had a similar bout, they were all fine after a few days so we still have the usual crud going around too.

I still think it seems off.
    Not in a "it's a fake conspiracy" sort of way, I have no doubt that its real and real serious; but something is very odd.

I mean three months ago, we had to shut everything down and there were non-stop reports of overloaded hospitals. Now after reopening here; new infections skyrocketed but there was no news of hospital overloads, no talk of shutting anything back down, just "wear a mask, it'll be OK".
    Our Gov is even fighting with local school systems, forcing them to reopen for on-site classes. So now we'll have kids packed onto school buses and kids packed into classrooms while we're still being told to wear masks and observe social distancing. Oh, and the Gov says that schools SHOULD NOT report outbreaks within their schools; it's just not necessary or helpful to do that. Oh, and one other thing - the Gov has also encouraged the resumption of high school and college football - he says that college football is "essential". So we've got families who can't have traditional wedding or funeral ceremonies due to distancing requirements, but contact sports is perfectly fine.

Yeah, something is off; around here anyway.

Mansfield, it's because we have people here that still think it's fake, or that their rights are being taken away or they think it won't happen to them, people gathering in groups without wearing a mask, like this weekend, our neighbor, had 20 people over in his small backyard, which is not big enough to do six feet apart, none of them wore masks, hubby and I drove to the park to just sit as we lost power for three hours on Sat, there were tons of people at the park in groups of thirty or more having picnics, bbqs or just hanging out no one wearing a mask and not keeping distance. you have people here that will go into a store and not wear a mask for throw a big fit when told they have to wear one. for the most part my area of California has seen a decline in numbers and as I said we are off the State watch list, meaning we can start opening up more things again. Jim, thank you, I hope it's not a relapse, I don't go out without wearing a mask and I don't go into stores I order groceries on line and hubby and I go pick them up, hubby will go into a store if we need something before our grocery online order.

Mansfield, it's because we have people here that still think it's fake, or that their rights are being taken away or they think it won't happen to them, people gathering in groups without wearing a mask, like this weekend, our neighbor, had 20 people over in his small backyard, which is not big enough to do six feet apart, none of them wore masks, hubby and I drove to the park to just sit as we lost power for three hours on Sat, there were tons of people at the park in groups of thirty or more having picnics, bbqs or just hanging out no one wearing a mask and not keeping distance. you have people here that will go into a store and not wear a mask for throw a big fit when told they have to wear one. for the most part my area of California has seen a decline in numbers and as I said we are off the State watch list, meaning we can start opening up more things again. Jim, thank you, I hope it's not a relapse, I don't go out without wearing a mask and I don't go into stores I order groceries on line and hubby and I go pick them up, hubby will go into a store if we need something before our grocery online order.
    Don't forget about the conspiracy mob who believe the government is using masks to gather information, which is stupid, given we the fact we all have numbers and computers and such. Same thing with vaccines. There's this guy I went to school with who believes vaccines contain microchips.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Don't forget about the conspiracy mob who believe the government is using masks to gather information, which is stupid, given we the fact we all have numbers and computers and such. Same thing with vaccines. There's this guy I went to school with who believes vaccines contain microchips.
    Idiots.
    I always flatten new masks with a rolling pin or run over them with my truck a few times to crush the mini-computers in them; then you're good to go.
    I've read that saturating them with automotive antifreeze works too by shorting out the electronics, but a lot of people don't like the smell or it irritates their skin.
    Vaccines just need to be filtered through a fine mesh material to remove the microchips and mind control devices before allowing the injection.
    I just use my mask as a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The U.S has the highest number of cases worldwide, getting close to 7 million. Plus the highest number of deaths almost 195,000. We are right next door and our cases are less then your deaths, Canada wide. Why is this ? Is it Trump and his inability to handle it from the get go. Are people still not taking it seriously. Or is it just abject stupidity on those who choose to ignore it. I myself wear a mask and follow the protocols, if it helps keep me safe and others I am not going to bitch about it too much. I hate it mind you, but I'll suck it up as long as I have to.
    Probably all of those things.
    But population and population density likely figures into it somewhat.
    Canada (land area) is slightly larger than the US, but population-wise is much smaller.
    Canada is about 36 million people, the US is about 336 million people.
    Last edited by JimC; 09-08-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Idiots.
    I always flatten new masks with a rolling pin or run over them with my truck a few times to crush the mini-computers in them; then you're good to go.
    I've read that saturating them with automotive antifreeze works too by shorting out the electronics, but a lot of people don't like the smell or it irritates their skin.
    Vaccines just need to be filtered through a fine mesh material to remove the microchips and mind control devices before allowing the injection.
    I just use my mask as a filter.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I wouldn't even approve of masks on the faces of the presidents on Mount Rushmore if that's what it took to keep Biden from allowing the vanquished from dynamiting them. We can always recarve them. Folks, resist the mob, the murderous losers, and the self-haters forcing loss on the victors who built this country.
    Last edited by MurkyWaters; 09-08-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Some American right wing jerk said we will all eventually get covid 19.
    Hope they are Wrong. But I do not think so.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 10-10-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

26. 11-16-2020, 11:22 PM
    Reason
    Spam signature link.

Well our county here in California, starting today is on a ten pm curfew, and nonessential workers have to work from home , dining out doors only, offices back to remote work, schools that have not opened back up have to continue to do remote classes, sighs, thanks people for not complying, it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone. We are at 7 people out of every 100,000 are getting covid we had 736 new cases today and six deaths, I cannot wait until Biden steps into the White House and takes over.

Biden is going to "shut down the virus".
    That's a fine plan along the lines of, "Make America Great Again".

With the upsurge in new cases not just in the US but around the globe, I become even more doubtful that masks are a significant limiting factor.
    What's the chance that all over the country and all over the globe, people who were wearing masks and thus helping control the spread; suddenly stopped wearing them all about the same time? If people in those areas weren't wearing them to begin with, why were the new cases in decline?

I suspect the limiting factor was shutting things down.
    Even if a mask helps some, never being in near proximity to others will help a lot more.
    Thus no dining in restaurants, no barber\beauty shops, no gyms, no theaters, etc.; is what will reduce transmission rates - for as long as you keep that stuff closed - then it's right back to where we seem to be now.

I'm curious now about the vaccine(s) and how they can be rolled out as proven safe when there are so many scenarios under which they haven't been tested.
    I mean what about women who are pregnant?
    Kids under a specific age?
    People on a variety of medications?
    People with other medical conditions or genetic\hereditary factors?

Approval for wide use of these things normally takes years, and that's for a reason (or many reasons).
    I get that rushing it out may serve the "greater good", but there will likely be some unintended negative consequences that could include birth defects, drug interactions, disabilities and even death. Some of that stuff won't be known or attributable for years.

Coronavirus: Chinese citizen journalist faces jail for Wuhan reporting:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54969682

OMFG. If you have Covid, why the HELL are you going OUT???? Yep. Had a Karen think she was above the regulations and place a mobile order FOR PICKUP knowing good God damn well she has Covid. Seriously????? I refused to even go near the window. My roommate is immunocompromised. You think I want to take this home to him???? My sup called the big boss and HE said hand it all out on a tray and sanitize drive before serving the next guest. But seriously. I would have cancelled the order and told her to use DoorDash.

"I just go here!"

damn RIa I would have reported her ass as that is considered a threat now, knowing you have COVID and going to where you can expose other people.

damn RIa I would have reported her ass as that is considered a threat now, knowing you have COVID and going to where you can expose other people.
    That's what my other roommate said. (A's wife K. A is the immunocompromised one.) Said I should have gotten the guest's first and last name and reported her to the health department. All I personally got was her first name when she came through and said she had a mobile order for [insert common name here]. I told her that mobile orders come inside (because they typically full their own drinks). She states she can't come in as she has Covid. It took everything I had to NOT snap, "Well if you have Covid, WHY THE EFF are you in my drive through lane???? GO HOME!!!"

"I just go here!"

All of this happening and many still don't get it. Sad for those who died, pathetic for those who follow Trump. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...=pocket-newtab

My husband has to go get tested we just got word that his voice teacher tested positive. My husband had voice lessons Sunday. So now we are trying to find a testing center open today.

My husband has to go get tested we just got word that his voice teacher tested positive. My husband had voice lessons Sunday. So now we are trying to find a testing center open today.
    Holy smokes! I'd be scared to death. Aren't you high risk? I surely hope yall can find a test center and that it's negative.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy,
    Hi yes, I am high risk, however I did have in Feb, I am not sure if I can get it again, he is going tomorrow at 7:45 am to get tested, and will know the results in one to two hours. Thankfully we have little contact with each other, I got into his room and he is behind his desk which is about six feet apart, and he comes to my room and stands at my door to talk to me, we sleep in different rooms, because he snores and I am a night owl, Also we are mostly apart anyway, other than eating together, I do make sure I wipe down all surfaces in the house and such, right now I am worried he has it cause if he gets sick it will not be good money wise.

He doesn't have it.

He doesn't have it.
    Wonderful news!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thank you !

Nope.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I will pass, thank you very much.

Nasal bondage gear is the first thing I thought of when I saw that.

Australia is completely open now, they don't have to wear masks other than on the bus and in cars, their cases are very very low to none, because they were on very strict lockdown, everyone complied, wearing masks, etc, while we here in the US, still see rising cases, people not following guidelines, and wearing masks, throwing a fit that their rights are being violated, y'all I am tired of being kept inside from recess, I wanna go out and play with Australia now...

We are going into our 3rd shutdown this Saturday. I have been following protocols since March 2020 and here I am a year later and no problem. Same goes for everyone I know. If people are not after all this time taking it seriously then this will continue. Open one month closed the next and so on. I have written off 2021 as I did 2020, the lost years. I am considering moving down to PEI, they know what they are doing, just like Australia !

I know Mansfield, I hear you I am so sick of this, you would think people would stop thinking of their selves and work together to end this quickly...I got a call I can go get the vaccine. So I just need to set up an appointment.

It is frustrating for sure, and I am sick of it also. Part of the problem is those who receive the first vaccine feel that they will be fine. Not the case at all, I think that's why infections are going through the roof. I am waiting for my age group to be called up for my first one. From the start it should have been rolled out for anyone who wants it. This has led to a lot of confusion about who should come first.

There was a limited number of doses available in the beginning. Then there was the 70 degrees below zero Fahrenheit issue to contend with. Facilities administering the first available vaccine had to quickly get the right type of sterile cold storage equipment and test it before being given the ok and their first shipment of vaccine dosages. Front-line medical workers were vaccinated first because they and their families were constantly exposed to the virus. Doctors like mine, who specialize in internal medicine and do rotations in the ER were the second logical order group for more reasons than that. They were diagnosing Covid patients who thought they had some kind of flu or other illness. Each state is of course a little different and has some latitude in deciding groups to be vaccinated beyond 1A because that criteria was set by the federal government.

What I don't like is all the misinformation out there that's scaring some people away from getting vaccinating. Other people joke and call that "culling the herd." Not cool. We all have people we don't care for, but laughing at them instead of getting community leaders involved is tantamount to wishing them dead. Bad karma ensues.

I am with Jim C on this - it's all a bit weird .Here in the UK at the start they said "just give us 3 weeks to flatten the curve " then all hell let loose and we were locked down and even encouraged to shop / grass on your neighbours /family/ friends if they broke the rules .We've had so many u turns , had loads of broken promises , nobody knows what to believe anymore .I'm not talking stupid conspiracy theories , like the jabs have got cameras / microchips in .I'm talking about the most idiotic decisions being made .
    Here we are all rushing to get our vaccines done after all "vaccines are the way out of this " so we were told .We did our bit - now they have turned round and said - no vaccines alone aren't it - we need to spend billions on having 2 covid tests a week each - with no end in sight .Masks must continue , we must keep our distance blah blah blah .Whenever we reach a target , the goal posts are moved .

Since I'm a former NHS worker I volunteered to come out of retirement and help deliver the jabs .The entire process to actually complete the application form was insane .I had to do an online video interview before I could go on to the next part - which were the 10 modules below . Resuscitation,
    safeguardingchildren, level 2
    Vaccine administration
    Vaccine storage
    Health, Safety and Welfare, level 1
    Infection Prevention and control, level 2
    Introduction to Anaphylaxis
    Legal aspects of vaccination
    moving and Handling, level 1 preventing radicalisation, level 1
    Conflict resolution, level 1
    Core knowledge for Covid-19 vaccinators
    Covid mRNA vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine)data security awareness, level 1
    Equality, Diversity and Human rights, level 1
    Fire safety, level 1

Just so over the top for what is literally a 5 second jab in the deltoid . Soon doctors and dentists were saying " there in no way I have the time or inclination to fill out this form when I've been a trusted practitioner for years ".So all that - which cost a mint - collapsed and they used existing nurses .
    The billions spent on unusable PPE , track and trace systems that didn't work , left our borders open at the very lethal outset of the pandemic ...... it's like the lunatics had taken over the asylum .And my greatest suspicion ? why cancer patients and other seriously ill people were shut out of the NHS , and only covid victims got treatment . I think this is criminal .And shameful and suspicious .Why weren't doctors hollering to help save young cancer patients ? why did all the resources get poured into the over 70's and older ?
    I despair of the next stupid threat / decision they make .Covid has taken jobs, mental health and our freedom .Was it the pandemic or the way the people in charge handled it ?

Last edited by artymorty; 04-06-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: font too small

It is the way it has been handled. Here in Ontario Canada it is an absolute mess, they claim it is out of control, or do they want us to believe that ? We are in shutdown again and health officials are pushing for another stay at home order. I was out shopping today, people were social distancing, wearing masks and best as I could see following the correct protocols. I figured since we went into shutdown there would be lineups everywhere again and limited supplies. Nothing of the sort, business as usual. I think people are getting fed up with the government and trying to get on with life as normally as you possibly can given the situation. I don't worry about it as I did last year. I do what I can to keep myself and others safe. Life has to go on.

A list of anti-vaxxers who have died.

a thinning of the herd

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/