Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thelma Todd

dr2red Guest

Thelma Todd

Or Hot Toddy as she was often called, she was famous in the 20's and 30's.
    She died in mysterious circumstances in her garage of carbon monoxide poisoning. I enjoy reading about early Hollywood mysteries and deaths.

HippieMama Guest
    Very interesting case, I agree . . . I first read about it on findadeath.com. Anyone that was in bed with the mob (at the time or previously) should not be surprised if this type of thing happens to them. I would really like to see all the questions answered though!

Btvs2678 Guest
    I actually heard her story on E! "Mysteries and Scandals" w/ A J Benza. I am in love with that man! Was interesting with the whole mob thing.

knothere Guest
    Lana Turner's mob guy Stompanado n his knife in the tummy, guess back then when the mob ruled hollywood n (alot more), starlets had not much choice in bf s depending how famous they were or wanted to be.

HippieMama Guest
    The mob had a lot of interests in movie studios, sleeping with a gangster could get you great roles . . . a sort of casting-couch for those in denial.

GODDESS6 Guest
    loni anderson played her in a movie called: White Hot: The Mysterious Murder of Thelma Todd, i love that movie~

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Btvs2678 View Post
    I actually heard her story on E! "Mysteries and Scandals" w/ A J Benza. I am in love with that man! Was interesting with the whole mob thing.
    That was my show! Fame, ain't it a bitch. I really miss it.

harlow1137 Guest

Thelma

There is a book called Hot Toddy, I think it's by Laurie Jacobson. It's a great book.
    I used to watch Mysteries & Scandals religiously!

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harlow1137 View Post
    There is a book called Hot Toddy, I think it's by Laurie Jacobson. It's a great book.
    looking for it on amazon, i have to read this~ there isn't much out there of her, that i could find on the web~ must have!!!~

harlow1137 Guest
    Hi goddess6,
    You'll really like the book! Maybe check ebay?
    And you're right, there really isn't alot out there on her which sucks.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    That was my show! Fame, ain't it a bitch. I really miss it.
    Same here..that show even my husband watched!

Lisamarie Guest
    I have always wondered about Thelma Todd..I think she was a mob hit. There are so many stories about what she did te day of her death sightings with a ceratain mob guy....friends say they saw her driving around town..also the food she ate peas and carrots I think? weird! I cant remeber if that was served at the party she was at or not. Poor Hot Toddy....she was beautiful and so talented!

"Hot Toddy" The True Story of Hollywood's Most Shocking Crime- The Murder of Thelma Todd. By Andy Edmonds ISBN 0-380-71132-X.

Still have it. Sitting here in front of me. I've read it many times. So there.

Amberlights Guest
    I read that book some time ago. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Another version of what happened is that director Roland West confessed on his death bed that they had a fight because she didn't come from a party at the time he wanted her to. She got in the car to leave & he closed the garage door to keep her from leaving.

Mob hit no doubt about it...

Tugboat25 Guest
    Is the building where Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Restaurant (whatever the name was) still in existence?
    I have to say, I thought she was pretty cute but no one is as lovely as Louise Brooks!

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Is the building where Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Restaurant (whatever the name was) still in existence?
    I have to say, I thought she was pretty cute but no one is as lovely as Louise Brooks!
    It sure is. As big as life, right smack dab on Pacific Coast Highway. I've even made the journey to see the garage where she took her last breath.

Tugboat25 Guest
    What do they use that building for now, Soundqcar?
    I'm just curious.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    What do they use that building for now, Soundqcar?
    I'm just curious.
    It sat vacant for MANY years, then was purchased by a religious movie group. I have been inside once, there are still remnants from the old days.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    It sat vacant for MANY years, then was purchased by a religious movie group. I have been inside once, there are still remnants from the old days.
    I'd love to be able to go to inside all sorts of old time buildings. I'd love to have that feel of being someplace that the old stars have been.
    I'm absolutely Not a fan of the "new" Hollywood but I sure like the old Hollywood.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Btvs2678 View Post

I loved that show too! Wish it was back!

Jack Raines Guest
    Here's the infamous clip from "Monkey Business", where Groucho Marx tells Thelma "I know, I know, you're a woman who's been getting dirty brakes, well we can clean and tighten your brakes but you'll have to stay in the garage all night. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMYQ-1n78s

groucho: 'i wish you'd keep my hands to yourself...' lmao
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 04-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    pull the string!

24. 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    I read that book some time ago. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Another version of what happened is that director Roland West confessed on his death bed that they had a fight because she didn't come from a party at the time he wanted her to. She got in the car to leave & he closed the garage door to keep her from leaving.
    That's what I'd read as well. There were however plenty of loose ends ranging from those who claimed to have seen THELMA on SUNDAY still wearing her evening gown from the previous night to the fact that she had supposedly been receiving death threats shortly before her death.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Jigsaw Guest

Not Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    I think if Thelma Todd got in the car and West shut the door, all she'd have to do is stop the car and get out. She could have shut off the engine. She didn't have to die -- that way. I'm sure you've all seen the first Hollywood Babylon book, Kenneth Anger. Inside is a photo of Thelma Todd with her face bloodied and on the steering wheel. She was murdered.

jigsaw

She & WEST may have had a physical fight too, but keep another thing in mind: TODD had 2 broken teeth in her mouth when they found her; how did that happen ?

WEST

WEST' ex-wife
    JEWEL CARMEN;
    she claimed to have seen TODD on Sunday afternoon

THELMA TODD'
    "Sidewalk Cafe"
    the home she shared with WEST was directly behind it, up the hill

the stairs behind the
    'Sidewalk Cafe'
    that TODD would've had to have climbed
    to get to the garage; how did a drunken TODD climb all of those steps without marring her satin evening pumps when all of the policewomen who tried the same thing got their shoes scuffed ?

Jigsaw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    She & WEST may have had a physical fight too, but keep another thing in mind: TODD had 2 broken teeth in her mouth when they found her; how did that happen ?

WEST

WEST' ex-wife
    JEWEL CARMEN;
    she claimed to have seen TODD on Sunday afternoon

THELMA TODD'
    "Sidewalk Cafe"
    the home she shared with WEST was directly behind it, up the hill

the stairs behind the
    'Sidewalk Cafe'
    that TODD would've had to have climbed

to get to the garage; how did a drunken TODD climb all of those steps without marring her satin evening pumps when all of the policewomen who tried the same thing got their shoes scuffed ?
    Someone punched her in the mouth so hard it broke teeth. Then that's where the blood comes in. He must have knocked her out, whoever he was. Did you ever see her picture in Hollywood Babylon? What a force it would take to knock out your own teeth. This wasn't suicide.

And about the scuffed shoes, maybe she was a lot more familiar with the steps than the lady cops. Or was she carried up to the garage?

jigsaw
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 04-27-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: wanted to be more specific

I agree; there's no question that somebody had to have punched her in the mouth to have broken several teeth. (And) I think that she was either carried to the garage or driven to. The chaffeur who had taken her to the party thrown by IDA LUPINO claimed that TODD had instructed him to let her out at the cafe (down below) on PCH.

Any dead pics?
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

did the three stoooges ever have to deliver ice up those stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's the infamous clip from "Monkey Business", where Groucho Marx tells Thelma "I know, I know, you're a woman who's been getting dirty brakes, well we can clean and tighten your brakes but you'll have to stay in the garage all night. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMYQ-1n78s
    I remember this from a Marx Brothers movie
    a true classic.

If I recall from the book- Thelma couldn't go up and down that set of stairs- she had a heart condition or something that prevented it.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Dead shot huh ?
    Alright, here's one of THELMA TODD' body dead in her car in the garage before they removed her for the coroner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thelma+dead+2[1].JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	5144  

a copy of thelma todd's death certificate:

http://www.classicvideostreams.com/B.../Todd-T_de.jpg
    pull the string!

Lisamarie Guest
    Has anyone ever seen the after autopsy shot! Boy its awful!! You can see the stiches for the y cutting and also she has been washed off and her hair is wet..its an eeris shot! Also the pic of her in the coffin she looked like she was sleeping.

death hag dee Guest
    do you have a copy lisa?? never saw it

Lisamarie Guest
    No I saw it on some mafia documentry and was shoked at how she looked lying there..Im gonna look tho.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    No I saw it on some mafia documentry and was shoked at how she looked lying there..Im gonna look tho.....

cool lisa!
    pull the string!

death hag dee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post

You are awesome!!! Thanks in advance!

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    do you have a copy lisa?? never saw it
    It's at Scott's site: http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/t...ostautopsy.jpg

enjoy

Vamp Guest
    I read Hot Toddy a long time ago. I believe it was the book's theory that the mob killed Thelma for wanting them out of her restaurant business.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I think she was a mob hit...I don't think she committed suicide because she was a tough cookie in her day and didn't want the mob to infiltrate her business like they had done to so many others.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I think she was a mob hit...I don't think she committed suicide because she was a tough cookie in her day and didn't want the mob to infiltrate her business like they had done to so many others.
    I agree with you.

Monty81 Guest

Thelma Todd

Hello,
    I was reading your article about Thelma Todd, and at the end of it a man says that he has a photo of her standing in front of the Lincoln KBV12 when it was new. Does anyone have access to this photo? I would love to have it for a personal collection. Thank you!

Northern Lights Guest

ShockDoc Guest
    I've stood in the garage she was found in. It's up the hill and about 100 yards to the right of the restaurant. I happened to walk over there from the restaurant and the garage door was standing open. i determined no one was in there and went inside for about 30 seconds. It was packed w/ old stuff- 20s looking luggage and all sorts of old 'garage-type' items. Looked like it hadnt been touched in years.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    I've stood in the garage she was found in. It's up the hill and about 100 yards to the right of the restaurant. I happened to walk over there from the restaurant and the garage door was standing open. i determined no one was in there and went inside for about 30 seconds. It was packed w/ old stuff- 20s looking luggage and all sorts of old 'garage-type' items. Looked like it hadnt been touched in years.
    Very Interesting... Wonder who owns the place and if that stuff belonged to Thelma.

Thelma Todd

Old Soul Guest
    Her story was the one on the FAD profiles that gave me this ..... feeling in my tummy.. Like it was yesterday and i dont know why it affected me like that.

Valerie Guest
    Was trolling around dead celeb sites (as you do) and came across this pic of Toddy dead in the car. Had never seen it before and thought I would share: