Thread: Photographer documents funeral home life beautifully

lisalouver Guest

Photographer documents funeral home life beautifully

Some of you know my small daughter does some modeling. Today she did a shoot with Scott Palmer here in Minneapolis. His work is well known and he is soon on his way to Los Angeles as he is becoming bigger and bigger.

His family owns a funeral home in a small town in Iowa where he grew up. He is the only one who declined to do funeral work.

His photographic journey titled "Raised by the Dead" was recently featured in the New York Times. As a former funeral director and morgue worker, I think his pictures are stunningly beautiful.

Here is the link if you care to look at the pictures. There are a couple of pictures of bodies, but they are not anything gruesome. However, just a warning as is needed on this site.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...+palmer&st=cse

ETA: Here is the link to Scotts website... if you click on Portfolio and then Raised by the dead and then thumbnails there are more pictures there than in this NY times article. Some really great photos. He also has one on burial vaults.

http://www.scottpalmerstudio.com/ind...&p=-1&a=0&at=0
    Last edited by lisalouver; 07-31-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Add link

RaRaRamona Guest
    I agree, beautiful photos.

OCEANLIGHTS Guest
    Very interesting pictures and post. Thanks!

MbalmR Guest
    Yup, lovely photos. But it hardly exposes the reality of the job. The "documantary" doesn't even begin to explore the hard side of funeral service. Getting up in the middle of the night in a blizzard to go get a body, looking like hell the next day because you got no sleep, mowing the lawn in a skirt suit, and the pictures of all those middle-aged men?? Those are the kind of "professionals" that hate women in this profession. Trust me on this. Nice ties, though.

MinLynn Guest
    I didn't see the link to his personal site and I'd love to be able to view more. As a photographer, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one out there to see beauty in macabre and morbid.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    I didn't see the link to his personal site and I'd love to be able to view more. As a photographer, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one out there to see beauty in macabre and morbid.
    Min, thanks for the heads up lol!

I have added the link to Scotts site now... ha

Just in case, here it is, click under portfolio and then Raising the dead
    Also the burial vaults

http://www.scottpalmerstudio.com/ind...&p=-1&a=0&at=0

Does anyone remember a reality show on A&E about a family run funeral home. I'm surprised it didn't run longer than a season but all of death hags know that few in this world accomodate or validate us. I remember on show they did Commander Bucher from the Pueblo incident and they showed him on the prep table semi clad. I remember they were trying to shove his bare foot in a shoe and even death hag maximus me found that innapropriate.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Does anyone remember a reality show on A&E about a family run funeral home. I'm surprised it didn't run longer than a season but all of death hags know that few in this world accomodate or validate us. I remember on show they did Commander Bucher from the Pueblo incident and they showed him on the prep table semi clad. I remember they were trying to shove his bare foot in a shoe and even death hag maximus me found that innapropriate.
    Yes...it was called "Family Plots"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Plots

havoc Guest
    Wow....the body being cremated was a little much. But they were great photos.

Giada Guest
    Exquisite photos

Very beautiful, although like MbalmeR, I was also put off by the middle aged men in the suits looking all stiff and suffocated by their collars. Come to my funeral home and see that we female funeral directors out weigh the male, not only in numbers but in talent

Beautiful post, so nice to see a funeral home in the spot light for something that isn't bad publicity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Very beautiful, although like MbalmeR, I was also put off by the middle aged men in the suits looking all stiff and suffocated by their collars. Come to my funeral home and see that we female funeral directors out weigh the male, not only in numbers but in talent

Beautiful post, so nice to see a funeral home in the spot light for something that isn't bad publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    Yup, lovely photos. But it hardly exposes the reality of the job. The "documantary" doesn't even begin to explore the hard side of funeral service. Getting up in the middle of the night in a blizzard to go get a body, looking like hell the next day because you got no sleep, mowing the lawn in a skirt suit, and the pictures of all those middle-aged men?? Those are the kind of "professionals" that hate women in this profession. Trust me on this. Nice ties, though.
    Morty and Mbalmr,

Such outstanding posts from both of you ladies who work in funeral service. I have no doubt whatsoever that women are excellent funeral directors, especially considering their ability to multi-task, attention to detail and openess to express geniune warmth and empathy. Speaking just for myself, I would be very put off to have to deal with funeral directors who, pardon the pun, look as stiff and cold as all those stuffed shirt men in the photos, during such a sensitive and emotionally trying time.

I went to college with a young lady whose family owned several funeral homes in Pennsylvania. When I knew her, she had already attended mortuary school and completely enjoyed working in her family's different locations. In the years following, she did every job imaginable and learned every aspect of funeral service; her dad passed away several years ago and she is now President and CEO of the company, while continuing to be extremely active and generous throughout her community. Very impressive...you ladies rock!!! Congratulations on your incredible talents, abilities, experience and exceptional accomplishments within your respective funeral service careers!
    Last edited by Cynful; 08-02-2011 at 10:13 AM.

MinLynn Guest
    Sadly I still can't see them but I'll believe that the rest of the images were done just as beautifully.