Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Terrorist Attacks and Their Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    It's called freedom of speech, and it does not require a degree or for anyone to be an authority on a subject. If it did, you wouldn't be here posting.
    Alrighty!

Sorry, not sure what I did or said, but apparently I hit a nerve somehow.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 03-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    I remember the first plane hitting, not knowing for sure it was an attack but thinking it might be. I picked up my carpooler, and we drove to work, at our office - very near Los Angeles International Airport. About the time we arrived, it came out that both Towers and the Pentagon were hit, and it was obviously a well planned terrorist attack. We kept waiting for someone in charge at work to tell us to go home. Having Aerospace companies and the airport very close by, we felt vulnerable. When we saw the FBI with bomb sniffing dogs making the rounds of ours and other local parking lots, got really freaked and finally, we just decided to leave. We were given, via a mass voice mail, the next day off. I was in such shock, and so disgusted by Bush, and his lack of action even though he'd been given memos warning of such possibilities by Clinton = yet he chose ignore the threat and go on his many vacations, and even when he found out what was happening in REAL TIME, he sat in that Florida classroom attempting to read 'My Pet Goat', which should be the only thing in his Presidential Library, or in his case, his "LIE-bary". He looked like a sedated monkey sitting for 8 minutes not knowing what to do because nobody told him what to do. He still doesn't "think much about Bin Laden" (paraphrasing his words) after he flew the Bin Laden family out of the US, when all other planes were grounded. They are friends, you see. He used the Twin Towers to attack the wrong country for the wrong reasons. Mission Accomplished yet George, you moron? Sorry, I know we aren't to share political views here, but I'm just saying... I stayed in shock until the following Friday. That day, our CEO had all of us come down to our company park, a big grassy area outside our 15 floor tower, hold hands and pray. I'm not one for praying, but I'm an empathic person, and the combined sadness of everyone around me and the realization of what had happened, the sadness of the families who lost loved ones, and the people who chose to jump rather than burn...finally hit me very hard, and I cried and cried. I have tears in my eyes now.
    I always wondered why Clinton didn't do something to stop it.

Why would the Bin Laden family not be allowed to leave. They had denounced him several years before..

What was Bush suppose to do the day he got the news about the Towers? He was listening to little babies reading in front of their President. I, to this day, admire him for keeping his cool, in light of the horrible news he had been given. As soon as he could, he told the Teachers why he had to leave, and he left with dignity.

Remember, the first message he received was that a plane had accidentally hit one of the towers. He was then told of another. He left shortly after.

I remember the first plane hitting, not knowing for sure it was an attack but thinking it might be. I picked up my carpooler, and we drove to work, at our office - very near Los Angeles International Airport. About the time we arrived, it came out that both Towers and the Pentagon were hit, and it was obviously a well planned terrorist attack. We kept waiting for someone in charge at work to tell us to go home. Having Aerospace companies and the airport very close by, we felt vulnerable. When we saw the FBI with bomb sniffing dogs making the rounds of ours and other local parking lots, got really freaked and finally, we just decided to leave. We were given, via a mass voice mail, the next day off. I was in such shock, and so disgusted by Bush, and his lack of action even though he'd been given memos warning of such possibilities by Clinton = yet he chose ignore the threat and go on his many vacations, and even when he found out what was happening in REAL TIME, he sat in that Florida classroom attempting to read 'My Pet Goat', which should be the only thing in his Presidential Library, or in his case, his "LIE-bary". He looked like a sedated monkey sitting for 8 minutes not knowing what to do because nobody told him what to do. He still doesn't "think much about Bin Laden" (paraphrasing his words) after he flew the Bin Laden family out of the US, when all other planes were grounded. They are friends, you see. He used the Twin Towers to attack the wrong country for the wrong reasons. Mission Accomplished yet George, you moron? Sorry, I know we aren't to share political views here, but I'm just saying... I stayed in shock until the following Friday. That day, our CEO had all of us come down to our company park, a big grassy area outside our 15 floor tower, hold hands and pray. I'm not one for praying, but I'm an empathic person, and the combined sadness of everyone around me and the realization of what had happened, the sadness of the families who lost loved ones, and the people who chose to jump rather than burn...finally hit me very hard, and I cried and cried. I have tears in my eyes now.
    I've always wondered about that too. He must be great at poker, because I would stop mid-sentence and yell at the top of my lungs in front of all those sweet little school kiddies, "Holy Shit, we've been attacked!!!" and then run down the hall as fast I could to Air Force Whatever who would whisk me to a safe, undisclosed location.

Would also LOVE to know what was whispered in his ear. "It looks like we've been attacked, but we're not sure, and even though your approval rating is in the toilet, we don't want it to be in the cesspool. So just sit here and pretend like everything's just swell." Or "Since you are obviously incapable of using your brain cells for anything but to hold your hat on, smart people are right now figuring out what to do. Once they have a plan, there will be peanut butter sandwiches and ice cold milk ready for you on Airforce One."

I always wonder too in cases like 9/11 how many actual decisions are made by the Prez. Like the Pentagon or Joint Chiefs of Staff all get together and make a recommendation and he just signs the paperwork. I honestly don't know. Not even sure if the U.S. Presidency is much more than ceremonial. I am very dissillusioned by the whole US political process. To me it doesn't seem to make a difference who we vote for anymore, it all just gets screwed up in the end.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    It's called freedom of speech, and it does not require a degree or for anyone to be an authority on a subject. If it did, you wouldn't be here posting.
    Except that to be taken seriously by any sane individual, sometimes these babblings need to be backed up by actual facts......you know, so some semblance of believability could be attached.

I'm all for free speech, it's part of what this country was founded on. Just be ready to defend your opinion once in a while.

It does humor me sometimes that these mentally vacant actors and actresses, having just received their $20mil check for their last flick, would piss all over corporate america, when in fact it is corporate america that provides them with their multi-million dollar digs in Malibu, Ca.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the studios told them to take a flying fuck on a rolling donut come casting time. I know I would be laughing...

September 11, 2001 was the first day I ever taught a class... I woke up and heard a plane hit but they suspected it an accident. Went in the shower... came out and heard a second plane hit, no accident. I didn't even think... I went in my car and drove to work. I have Howard Stern on and he is saying that the towers were hit by terrorists and it's all starting to come together for me. I am now on the White Stone Bridge and I can see the towers smoking (so I grab my camera and take a quick shot of them... minutes before the first went down). Then I hear the pentagon was hit... now I am freaking out (being on this bridge and all).

Anyway... I get to work and realize half the kids in the school have no idea what was going on and the administration wanted to keep it that way. I was pissed and told everybody who I came in contact with. So my first day teaching turned out to be one of the worst days in American history and my nerves were quickly directed to the tragedy and not on my classroom. Wasn't a very productive first class, I just allowed the kids to discuss the days events and vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I always wondered why Clinton didn't do something to stop it.

Why would the Bin Laden family not be allowed to leave. They had denounced him several years before..

What was Bush suppose to do the day he got the news about the Towers? He was listening to little babies reading in front of their President. I, to this day, admire him for keeping his cool, in light of the horrible news he had been given. As soon as he could, he told the Teachers why he had to leave, and he left with dignity.

Remember, the first message he received was that a plane had accidentally hit one of the towers. He was then told of another. He left shortly after.
    Generally, if there is say a "CRIME OF THE CENTURY" happening, you would want to question the closest relatives of the perp, whether they claim to be friendly with the guy or not. It's just common sense crime investigation.

I will say no more... I don't talk politics with people who think Bush has a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Yes and no. If you do a google search along the lines of 9/11 falling man or 9/11 jumper, you will come across a huge amount of material on the subject. For a long time, they thought it was a food service worker (a pastry chef, I believe) at Windows of the World restaurant, but then there was some evidence that came to light that proved it wasn't him.

What I have always wondered about is the conditions of the remains after sustaining a fall like that. Whould they even be recognizable after falling 100+ floors?
    There is a 71 minute long You Tube item about identifying him. I watched the whole thing, it was very touching. They think they figured it out, he was someone who worked at the restaurant at the top, but not the first guy they orignially thought it was.

There is a 71 minute long You Tube item about identifying him. I watched the whole thing, it was very touching. They think they figured it out, he was someone who worked at the restaurant at the top, but not the first guy they orignially thought it was.
    Wow, I'd love to watch it too. Do you remember the title or the keyword search? Those poor people, I would hope that they would lose consciousness out of shock as they jumped. I always wonder why/how they couldn't have successfully helicoptered some of the people out. They may have had to use one heck of a long harness because of the smoke, but I wish they would have been able to do that.

Wow, I'd love to watch it too. Do you remember the title or the keyword search? Those poor people, I would hope that they would lose consciousness out of shock as they jumped. I always wonder why/how they couldn't have successfully helicoptered some of the people out. They may have had to use one heck of a long harness because of the smoke, but I wish they would have been able to do that.
    I went to the link above in one of the earlier posts, and listened to the calls, which were pretty sad... then over on the side there were related videos. A couple of them were called "Falling Man"... Look for the 71 minute one, it's the entire documentary.

death hag dee Guest
    Ok Death Hags need your opinion

My ex-husband took my 5 yr old to ground zero, I was not happy about it... Was I wrong? Should a 5 yr old go there and not able to understand the signifigance or have her questions answered?

mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    Ok Death Hags need your opinion

My ex-husband took my 5 yr old to ground zero, I was not happy about it... Was I wrong? Should a 5 yr old go there and not able to understand the signifigance or have her questions answered?
    They should go. I took my son who was 6 when it happened right there, to the top of the Empire State building and back on a plane.

They understand more than we can imagine and the only way to let them not live a life of fear due to terrorism is to tell them in simple terms what really happened.

They will learn more later in life and know they had a chance to see it before they rebuilt it.

Chevyheaven Guest
    What a crazy day that was eh? I remember it well. Very scary time. Everyone just went nutty afterwards with all the terrorizings of folks.

time flies dont it?

i'm no conspiracy theorist but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm73w...eature=related
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

I worked at a local tv news station and we were all sitting in the break room smoking and watching the CBS Early Show. They went to network and showed the first building, we were all like, "Whoa!" and said, someone at LaGuardia is getting fired. Then the second plane came around in the big, graceful arc and no one could believe their eyes. It was surreal, we ran into the newsroom and all of the TVs and satellite monitors were playing the same footage - you couldn't get away from it. When the building fell I thought it was screaming, but it was the metal giving way.
    After 13 hours at the TV station I got in the car to go home and sleep for a couple of hours before going back to work. I started the car and the radio was on, and David Bowie's 'I'm Afraid of Americans' had just started playing. The irony!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

halogirl5 Guest
    What drives me nuts is when actors/actresses/singers/models spout off on some subject like politics, global warming, Darfur, 9/11, you name it. They do not have advanced degrees in Political Science, Environmental Studies or Structural Engineering, yet they feel they know enough to make an educated statement. I remember one time when I worked downtown in the early '90's, there was a "Green" rally on Earth Day where there were all these movie stars talking about the evils of oil-based energy. After the rally, I saw them all drive away in their limos, Mercedes, Bentleys, etc. If they had come to town via bicycle or hang glider, I would have had so much respect for them!
    I understand what you're saying, but then at the end of the day they have the right to voice their opinion however they make a living. I don't have advanced degrees in any of those things (well OK an MSc in Environmental Consultancy) but I still express opinions about them to others. They might not practice what they preach in every respect ie the limos, but at least they are using their influence and popular status to give a positive message, when they don't have to. I mean, we all of us to things we strictly shouldn't, like throw things in the bin we should recycle, go to work in a car when we could take a bus, or take a bus when we could walk.

jojax Guest
    I feel the same way as you do...I knew someone who was on flight 93...two things I will remember for the rest of my life, my mother and 9/11.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    Oh Geez, tons of Conspiracy theories about 9/11! I thnik I spent an entire night once looking at some of them. Just goes to show how many there are.

Quote Originally Posted by jojax View Post
    I feel the same way as you do...I knew someone who was on flight 93...two things I will remember for the rest of my life, my mother and 9/11.
    I'm so sorry Jojax - they are heroes, you know, on flight 93.

ozzysmom Guest
    God rest their souls...

DCT61 Guest
    "what I object to is bringing politics into this particular discussion."

LOL....oh the irony. Pot...meet kettle.

death hag dee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    They should go. I took my son who was 6 when it happened right there, to the top of the Empire State building and back on a plane.

They understand more than we can imagine and the only way to let them not live a life of fear due to terrorism is to tell them in simple terms what really happened.

They will learn more later in life and know they had a chance to see it before they rebuilt it.
    Thanks that makes a lot of sense, I was upset about it, but am glad now I allowed it

cachluv Guest

However do terrorists get their information? (feigned suprise...)

NYC Freedom Tower plans found in trash

31 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The government agency building a 102-story skyscraper at the World Trade Center site is investigating the discovery of two sets of blueprints for the building that a homeless man says he found in the trash.

The schematic documents for the Freedom Tower, under construction at ground zero, were marked "Secure Document â?? Confidential," the New York Post reported Friday.
    The documents, dated Oct. 5, 2007, contain plans for each floor, the thickness of the concrete-core wall, and the location of air ducts, elevators, electrical systems and support columns, the Post reported.
    Michael Fleming told the newspaper he found the documents on top of a public trash can in downtown Manhattan, with written warnings on it to "properly destroy if discarded."
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owned the World Trade Center and is building the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, has protocols requiring contractors and architects with secure and nonsecure documents to shred them, spokeswoman Candace McAdams said.
    The agency's inspector general is investigating the disposal of the documents, which McAdams said are bidding documents given out to contractors, agency staff and selected companies bidding on work.
    Mishandling the blueprints would be "cause for serious disciplinary action â?? up to termination for employees and breach of contract and legal action for contractors," she said, although she added the plans have been updated many times since October.
    City police weren't investigating the disposal; Tishman Construction Corp., the main contractor building the tower, declined to comment Friday. A spokesman for the building's architect, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, didn't return a message seeking comment.
    Last edited by cachluv; 04-18-2008 at 03:30 PM.

spoiledkitty Guest
    Thats just crazy, OPSEC had to get onto alot of the military wives because they were posting stuff on thier myspace about the hubster units being home and where they were. It was noted that terrorists and other such agencies were "monitoring" thier myspace's.....I swear that leads us back to that saying loose lips sink ships..

cachluv Guest
    I've always wondered why the terrorists, who claim to be superior in worth AND intelligence, tell people before they attack them.

I can't help but consider that whomever had the plans put them where they would be found, it seems to me that someone wanted people to know they had them.

Lita Guest
    Oh, ffs people! Let's just hand them the plans, why don't we? Oh hey, here's a better idea! Let's give the plans to Geraldo Rivera. He's not opposed to giving away our troops' locations.

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post

two sets of blueprints for the building that a homeless man says he found in the trash.

contain plans for each floor, the thickness of the concrete-core wall, and the location of air ducts, elevators, electrical systems and support columns, the Post reported.
    Ok, it is not good that these documents were found in a non-secure location, Considering the history of the site and the sensitivity of the project.

However our journalistic friend is being a little dramatic. The core walls are going to be anywhere from 900mm to 1200mm for a structure of that height. The air ducts will be in the core coming from the Plant Room in the Basement. The elevators will be in the core. The electrical supply will also come from the Basement Switch Room reticulated through the tower via a series of electrical cupboards located in the core. The switch room will be fed by the substation which will be at a location facing the street (for easy access to service), this will be visible from the street. The column locations will be no secret, they will be visible.

What they will be looking for is a place where they can get a truck full of explosive into the heart of the building under the tower. Having not seen the plans I expect that there will be a podium of retail on the site and the tower will arise from within that. Not easy.

The task is the same as the failed bombing of the World Trade Centre. Take out a few of the columns to de-stablise the tower so it topples over. The columns are easier to get to in the basement than in the podium and that is why they let it off in the basement last time. However, to get to the basement the columns have to go through a couple of levels of Podium which helps to stablize them.

With the bombing of the World Trade Centre they tried to get one tower to topple onto the other!!!!!

This is why they took the jet option the second time.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 04-19-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

27. 04-18-2008, 08:46 PM

That 911 call was horrifying. The last few seconds were awful, when he screamed.

This video is absolutely insane. You can hear the jumpers hitting the building - I was stunned at how loud it was when they struck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8FQiJ-Rcw
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    That 911 call was horrifying. The last few seconds were awful, when he screamed.

This video is absolutely insane. You can hear the jumpers hitting the building - I was stunned at how loud it was when they struck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8FQiJ-Rcw

I have the DVD with the Neugent brothers filming all of this, it's totally raw everytime i watch it and i cry everytime still find it hard to believe now it happened

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    I have the DVD with the Neugent brothers filming all of this, it's totally raw everytime i watch it and i cry everytime still find it hard to believe now it happened
    Watching that video makes me want to tell those people, "Please hurry... Get out!!! Run!" But, we know what's about to happen, we know the building is going to fall, they don't. The people probably all got out (the ones we see in the video) but a lot of the firemen probably went back up the stairs, because they're so damn brave. Sad indeed.

Those poor people, I would hope that they would lose consciousness out of shock as they jumped.

That reminded me. There was an article from a newspaper (cant remember which one, or where I found it now, of course, I need to search it again!) that had a fireman claiming that he encountered a woman lying on the sidewalk, claiming she was a jumper, and she was still alive. Something about they were marking the dead bodies and she was telling him not to mark her but he couldn't do anything to save her. Now I really need to find that!!

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

hoxharding Guest
    I remember turning the tv on and they said something about a plane hitting a building.
    That was all they knew and I just envisioned a small plane sticking out on the side of one of the towers.
    When the full news came in-it was a big shock after what the news first said.
    I also recall that the show Big Brother was on and it was down to just a few Houseguests.
    They had no idea what was going on outside the house. The producers were trying to figure out what to say and how much to say. They started out with very little info and gave it to them slowly.
    It was very odd watching these people who were clueless about the tragedy trying to figure out what was going on.
    One of the HGS had a relative who was missing(and later found dead). They spoke to her in private and asked if she wanted to leave.
    She declined-it was near the end and I doubt there was anything she could do except worry about her missing cousin.

JestersKiss Guest
    9/11 is one of the things i dont like talking about,,,,it was a very emoitional time and my words can never bring justice to the Heros that lost thier lives that day and the workers in the towers, is was a day to be remembered and never forgotton.

I was at home getting ready for work, turned on the news before i left and was glued there for the next 48 hours, me and my coworkers gathered at our station and just sat there in disbeleif. A hard day

Quote Originally Posted by sordid1982 View Post
    That reminded me. There was an article from a newspaper (cant remember which one, or where I found it now, of course, I need to search it again!) that had a fireman claiming that he encountered a woman lying on the sidewalk, claiming she was a jumper, and she was still alive. Something about they were marking the dead bodies and she was telling him not to mark her but he couldn't do anything to save her. Now I really need to find that!!
    I read that too. I don't remember where. He was putting a black tag on her, she was not much more than a torso and a head, and as he put the tag on her she said "I'm not dead yet." It shocked him. He reassured her that someone was coming to help her, knowing that she didn't have a chance. That freaked me out too.

I read that too. I don't remember where. He was putting a black tag on her, she was not much more than a torso and a head, and as he put the tag on her she said "I'm not dead yet." It shocked him. He reassured her that someone was coming to help her, knowing that she didn't have a chance. That freaked me out too.
    I'd never heard about that, that's so awful. It makes you wonder how much trauma the body can take before it dies.

When I watched the jumper footage I wanted to tell the people on the mezzinine to hurry up, too. They were walking so slow, and we all know the towers weren't far from collapsing.

If anyone is a reader, the book 102 Minutes is excellent, a minute-by-minute account. One of the more horrifying accounts in the book is by the guy who was on the phone, saw the plane coming, dove under his desk, and saw the belly of the plane pass over him as it crashed through his office.

- R.H. Sin

[quote=Nessa;234374]I'd never heard about that, that's so awful. It makes you wonder how much trauma the body can take before it dies.
    quote]

Yes. That is why it was so damn shocking. I was thinking more about it later today after I posted what I remembered... I think what he saw was a little more half of her torso, which was diagonally ripped, and only one arm and her head - no legs. So, her heart must have been beating, just barely. It doesn't seem possible, I don't know, maybe something broke her fall, but, why didn't she bleed out? Did flames cauterize her major arteries? But her speach was very coherent, she said in a strong voice that she was wasn't dead yet, God bless her. It was a coherent conversation. If it had been me, I think I would have stayed with her until it was over, but he felt he had to move on to look for survivers. I was reading everything about 9/11 at the time so I can't even begin to remember where I saw that... but since Sordid knows the article too, I know I didn't imagine it. It broke my heart, especially that the volunteer rescuer didn't stay and comfort her.

Yes. That is why it was so damn shocking. I was thinking more about it later today after I posted what I remembered... I think what he saw was a little more half of her torso, which was diagonally ripped, and only one arm and her head - no legs. So, her heart must have been beating, just barely. It doesn't seem possible, I don't know, maybe something broke her fall, but, why didn't she bleed out? Did flames cauterize her major arteries? But her speach was very coherent, she said in a strong voice that she was wasn't dead yet, God bless her. It was a coherent conversation. If it had been me, I think I would have stayed with her until it was over, but he felt he had to move on to look for survivers. I was reading everything about 9/11 at the time so I can't even begin to remember where I saw that... but since Sordid knows the article too, I know I didn't imagine it. It broke my heart, especially that the volunteer rescuer didn't stay and comfort her.
    It's a disturbing story, I cannot imagine coming up on bodies that were that mangled, and then one of them speaks to you. I've found that in extreme injuries shock takes over, and the body can live for an astounding amount of time before dying, sort of a 'the body knows its dead but the brain doesn't' type thing. Maybe it was like when Alzheimer's patients have that last moment of clarity before death. A friend of mine remembers a lady coming into her ER that had been hit by a car and was cut in half. There was skin on her back intact, but that was all that was holding her together. She was conscious and screaming, and they were wrapping sheets around her (she was a big lady) to try and hold everything in, knowing that there was nothing they could do to save her. She lived for several minutes before she finally died.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the guy who was torn in two and lived for hours.

I guess if the jumper still had a heart and lungs she could live for a bit. If glass or metal had sheared off her arms and legs, at the speed she was falling it might have been such a clean cut that there wasn't the kind of bleeding that would occur with a ripping-type injury. Still, you'd have to imagine that she hadn't been lying there long when the volunteer found her.

Okaaaay, I have the heebies now. I just keep picturing her lying there.

- R.H. Sin

Nessa, your avatar is very odd... what is the story behind it?

Nessa, your avatar is very odd... what is the story behind it?

Haha, I'm assuming you're talking about the stick man chasing after the round dog-thing. I just thought it was cute.

The other one is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which I find endlessly hilarious.

- R.H. Sin

Haha, I'm assuming you're talking about the stick man chasing after the round dog-thing. I just thought it was cute.

The other one is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which I find endlessly hilarious.
    You have a whole collection of stick people, that you change a lot, don't you?

djdeath-hag Guest
    ...finally hit me very hard, and I cried and cried. I have tears in my eyes now.
    This makes you HUMAN....we were all, as a nation, diminished by the tragic events of that day. I'm still haunted by all of the children who lost parents, parents who lost children, and everyone else who lost so much that day. Moving forward but holding on to our memories....and how our country might avoid future attacks is the best that we can do...and all that we can hope for from our elected officials.

[quote=Hidium;234898]

I'm glad someone else remembered it! I tried searching for it again, but so far nothing. I was starting to think maybe I had just remembered some bad urban legend.

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

You have a whole collection of stick people, that you change a lot, don't you?
    I have several. My personal favorite is the stick man pouring gas on himself and then lighting it on fire with his little face peeking out.

- R.H. Sin

I have several. My personal favorite is the stick man pouring gas on himself and then lighting it on fire with his little face peeking out.
    BAHAHAAAA!!!! I will watch for that one!

interrestedintn Guest
    I read somewhere that Steve Buschemi was a firefighter before becoming famous and that when 9/11 happened, he just dropped everything and went out there to help. Go Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by interrestedintn View Post
    I read somewhere that Steve Buschemi was a firefighter before becoming famous and that when 9/11 happened, he just dropped everything and went out there to help. Go Steve.
    He mentioned that on the Henry Rollins show. He was very humble about it. I love him. Great actor, great guy.

spudjustice Guest
    I think I share many people's feelings on this. I am sad and angry. The problem is that there is really nothing tangible to aim my anger at. The government, any person that has radical beliefs, Osama Bin Laden? Who? As far as I know, the act was committed by radical nutjobs that died in the crashes. We can't do anything to them now. After the invasion of two countries, and after thousands have died, I still have this rotten feeling that no justice has been done and there is no closure. It's like there is nothing we can do about it. We are helpless against crazy people that are willing to kill themselves to accomplish their twisted goals.

Believe it or not, I didn't find out what happened till about 2:30 in the afternoon. I was on a 3 p.m. shift and for some reason that day I didn't turn on the TV...I listen to a rock station in the car, and I remember the DJ's VERY sombre tone coming out of a song. When he said the Prime Minister was about to address us I knew something REALLY big had happened. I live in the middle of the country's biggest city - about the size of Chicago - and I remember how eerie it was to look up and see NO planes in the sky.

One other creepy thing: That afternoon our answering machine at work had a message left on it from a group of survivors in the rubble. Our area code is 416 and someone suggested the caller had accidentally hit a 4 instead of a 7 (I guess the 716 area code was somewhere in New York. Anyway, the caller said there was a group of them, they were all alive, but trapped. He said they needed help soon and had no water..." Obviously, that help never got there.

Oh, Duster- that last part is so sad. God bless them all.

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Oh, Duster- that last part is so sad. God bless them all.
    Heartbreaking. The powers-that-be here at the CBC passed the tape on to the authorities in NYC I believe, but obviously there was nothing that could be done.

mel306 Guest
    I remember seeing her picture all over downtown the Friday after 9-11. I never knew she was from the island too.

Doctor who worked at Staten Island hospital is added to 9/11 victims list
    by Associated Press
    Thursday July 10, 2008, 2:22 PM

Associated Press
    A missing poster for Dr. Sneha Anne Philip is displayed near the World Trade Center in 2002.
    The name of a doctor who was last seen on Sept. 10, 2001, has been added to the World Trade Center victims' list.

The New York City medical examiner's office said today it has issued a death certificate for 31-year-old Sneha Anne Philip. Dr. Philip was a medical resident at St. Vincent's Medical Center (now Richmond University Medical Center) in Staten Island's West Brighton neighborhood.

It cites a January appellate court ruling that declared Philip was killed at the trade center.

Philip was last seen the night before the terrorist attack. She initially was put on the victims' list. But she was taken off it in 2004 after authorities said she could not be definitively linked to the trade center site.

The list of World Trade Center victims now stands at 2,751.