Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Christine Chubbuck

Cathy J. Guest
    Here is a weathercast from WXLT from 1972. The same station where chubbuck killed herself. Chubbuck was emplyed at WXLT at the time of this weathercast and according to a past message from the weatherman, he does have tape of some of her work but he won't upload any of it on You Tube out of respect for Christine.

Interesting to see how low-tech local TV was back in the early 70's

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-uer93GVkKY

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://www.christinechubbuck.com/

"Christine's Story" is interesting, if only b/c the writer describes in great detail what the video would show.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardGirl View Post
    I think you're right. I was watching I Love The 70's the other day and that's probably where I saw it since it came out in 1976. Haha...well I guess it isn't one that is coming out now. I'm not firing on all cynlinders lately. I remember wondering if they had gotten the plot from the Chubbuck case though.

Thanks!
    Welcome...I never knew that 'Network' was based on an actual incident till I read this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

"Christine's Story" is interesting, if only b/c the writer describes in great detail what the video would show.
    Well done!!...I can finally put a face to this woman and what went down?

Seagorath Guest
    Sally Quinn, who wrote that article, is also featured in the Blvd. of Broken Dreams documentary about Christine. It seems she has actually viewed the Christine Chubbuck suicide footage based on her detailed account...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sbEp9xFAwts

Contrary to popular belief, the Christine Chubbuck suicide DID AIR LIVE on TV in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, and did not FADE TO BLACK until AFTER she had fired the shot. The camera didn't fade to black until she slowly began to slide down the chair onto the floor...which is disturbing enough to visualize.

I also spoke to that WXLT "weatherman on youtube" and he also told me he had a full episode of Suncoast Digest on tape...but won't be releasing it. I really don't understand why...I think MANY people would love to view some of her normal everyday footage...just to see what she was perhaps like in front of the camera.

The fact that "so much" about Christine has been erased from history really puzzles me...and frustrates me. She really deserves more than that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    She's one that really haunts me. So very little is known about her life and her death. It just makes me sad.

Seagorath Guest
    Yea, I know what you mean...I think about Christine often during my times of solitude. One of the things that I always think about is her Yellow VW Beetle...I always have recurring images of her in that car driving to work (on her last day), and parking it into her little "spot" at WXLT. I've always wondered what happened to that car...or if somebody presently owns it.

Looks like I'll be floating Greg Chubbuck an e-mail soon!

She's one that really haunts me. So very little is known about her life and her death. It just makes me sad.

Cathy J. Guest
    About Chubbuck, I wonder if the employees who are working at her station now even remember her and/or what she did? Did they ever do anything at all to "remember" her?

Lisamarie Guest
    Ive wondered the same mant times.....I actually talked to a guy who worked there at the time and he did not and would not talk about her at all....

Seagorath Guest
    Great question. A former WXLT employee e-mailed me recently (he started working there in 1976)...this was his reply...

"I joined the station a couple years after Chubbucks not so graceful swansong from the station."

Here's a segment he did for WXLT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my0K-...&feature=email

Another WXLT employee actually comments on one of the other Christine Chubbuck blogs (I think the weatherman), and he said that her name was "taboo" at WXLT, and that the management there had strict rules regarding employees even mentioning her... If I find the link again I'll post it!

Lee (a former WXLT employee) wrote on the Cynical-C Blog...

"Iā??m such a big fan of your site, and your post about Chris Chubbuck brought back a lot of memories. Chris and i were co-workers at WXLT during those days and besides her delightful sense of humor, i remember that she was always in the newsroom when i got there and she was always there when i left. She was a good kid."

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    About Chubbuck, I wonder if the employees who are working at her station now even remember her and/or what she did? Did they ever do anything at all to "remember" her?

RaRaRamona Guest
    I just don't understand why everyone wants to sweep her under the carpet.

Seagorath Guest
    Well, I think it's time we all removed the carpet!

I just don't understand why everyone wants to sweep her under the carpet.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    That story has always haunted me. Am I correct that no footage of the suicide is available? That it was all confiscated and eventually destroyed? Chilling, absolutely chilling.
    If you search the internet you will find footage of her suicide. I have seen it. Try simply googling her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    If you search the internet you will find footage of her suicide. I have seen it. Try simply googling her name.

If you can find it then please share. We have all been looking and haven't come up with anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    After searching for a whilt I could not find footage of her suicide. I know I have seen it before on the internet but it was a few years ago and it appears that all footage of the event was taken down. Sorry to get your hopes up!

RaRaRamona Guest
    After searching for a whilt I could not find footage of her suicide. I know I have seen it before on the internet but it was a few years ago and it appears that all footage of the event was taken down. Sorry to get your hopes up!
    Yeah thanks a lot man! I actually don't want to see the death but I am very interested in her demeanor in the moments before the deed.

lisalouver Guest
    I'm not sure why but this reminds me of the end of the movie The Howling where Dee Wallace Stone turns into the werewolf while she is broadcasting the news live on the air and then a tear slips down her cheek and the shoot her.

Anyone rememeber that?

Seagorath Guest
    I seem to recall it existing on the web back in the 90's too (although I didn't view it). Perhaps the family took the necessary steps to have it removed back then...before the internet exploded into a Youtube frenzy. I'm surprised that somebody didn't copy it or something. You would at least think the footage of her "before" the suicide would be readily available. My friend in Sarasota is looking into it...hopefully we can uncover something.

I don't think Christina would have wanted her existence to be erased like that. That WXLT in Sarasota is a JOKE for witholding all of her "innocent" broadcasts...and choosing NOT to talk about her. And that weatherman really needs to come clean and share his footage...a harmless full episode of Suncoast Digest...gheesh!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post

I don't think Christina would have wanted her existence to be erased like that.
    I really believe that too. If she had wanted to disappear she wouldn't have made such a statement. Of course, I'm not the first to point out that she is now what she abhorred - a bloody freak show curiosity.

As I said though for me the curiosity is different. I don't to know that part of her. It just makes me sad. She's been so erased.

Cathy J. Guest
    I seem to recall it existing on the web back in the 90's too (although I didn't view it). Perhaps the family took the necessary steps to have it removed back then...before the internet exploded into a Youtube frenzy. I'm surprised that somebody didn't copy it or something. You would at least think the footage of her "before" the suicide would be readily available. My friend in Sarasota is looking into it...hopefully we can uncover something.

I don't think Christina would have wanted her existence to be erased like that. That WXLT in Sarasota is a JOKE for witholding all of her "innocent" broadcasts...and choosing NOT to talk about her. And that weatherman really needs to come clean and share his footage...a harmless full episode of Suncoast Digest...gheesh!!
    Today at work I was thinking about this thread. I wonder if WXLT is pulling a KOA here. Denver's KOA radio was the home of talk show host Alan Berg who was shot to death in front of his home back in 1984. Berg was one of those "you can kiss my ass" radio talk show hosts who would scream and yell to those who didn't agree with his views plus Berg from what I have been told used to slam many of people on the air which as it turned out cost him his life. And KOA is not some small little radio station either. With its powerful signal, pretty much everyone west of Indianapolis and Chicago can pick it up at night on AM 850.

For years I have heard KOA had to put up with people ( from all over the world ) stopping by the station wanting to talk about Berg and/or perhaps listen to his old broadcasts thinking KOA has them available for the general public which of course they don't. Today if anyone walks in to KOA and even brings up Alan Berg, I have heard they will toss them out right into the street.

I have to wonder if this is the reason why the name "Christine Chubbuck" is still taboo at WXLT? Perhaps the station has had more than their share of the "curious", people from all over the country calling them up wanting to discuss Chubbuck or even perhaps some of those "curious" folks, out of the blue stopping by the station hoping to see the tape they believe may be in the archives there. In other words maybe WXLT is tired of people who only want to discuss Chubbuck the same way KOA is with those who are still interested in Alan Berg.

Still though WXLT should have done some memorial special or anything to honor Chubbuck. Like it or not, they do hold a place in TV history even if it is in a tragic way. At least with KOA every once in awhile some of their talk show hosts DO mention Berg. So he isn't totally forgotten there.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 06-26-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Seagorath Guest
    Cheers for thinking about the Christine thread at work! I just want to see one of her full broadcasts...and not necessarily her last one. You'd think somebody would have the decency to give us more than the 4 seconds on Youtube...although it does give us a look at her Suncoast Digest set...but I need more. It's those "tantalizing glimpses" that make me want more. Anybody else feel the same?

Today at work I was thinking about this thread. I wonder if WXLT is pulling a KOA here. Denver's KOA radio was the home of talk show host Alan Berg who was shot to death in front of his home back in 1984. Berg was one of those "you can kiss my ass" radio talk show hosts who would scream and yell to those who didn't agree with his views plus Berg from what I have been told used to slam many of people on the air which as it turned out cost him his life. And KOA is not some small little radio station either. With its powerful signal, pretty much everyone west of Indianapolis and Chicago can pick it up at night on AM 850.

For years I have heard KOA had to put up with people ( from all over the world ) stopping by the station wanting to talk about Berg and/or perhaps listen to his old broadcasts thinking KOA has them available for the general public which of course they don't. Today if anyone walks in to KOA and even brings up Alan Berg, I have heard they will toss them out right into the street.

I have to wonder if this is the reason why the name "Christine Chubbuck" is still taboo at WXLT? Perhaps the station has had more than their share of the "curious", people from all over the country calling them up wanting to discuss Chubbuck or even perhaps some of those "curious" folks, out of the blue stopping by the station hoping to see the tape they believe may be in the archives there. In other words maybe WXLT is tired of people who only want to discuss Chubbuck the same way KOA is with those who are still interested in Alan Berg.

Still though WXLT should have done some memorial special or anything to honor Chubbuck. Like it or not, they do hold a place in TV history even if it is in a tragic way. At least with KOA every once in awhile some of their talk show hosts DO mention Berg. So he isn't totally forgotten there.

RaRaRamona Guest

It seems to me that being open about it & just putting together a nice montage of her stuff would keep the lookie loos at bay.

Seagorath Guest
    Exactamundo! Just give us more than 4 fuckin' seconds, WXLT (or shall I say FCC). WXLT did change their name and location...and there's no telling what happened to their archived material.

Well, looks like I'll start bothering the friendly WXLT WEATHERMAN again!

It seems to me that being open about it & just putting together a nice montage of her stuff would keep the lookie loos at bay.

Cathy J. Guest
    Well, looks like I'll start bothering the friendly WXLT WEATHERMAN again!

I don't get why he refuses to put Christine and her Suncoast Digest on You Tube. Maybe he says it is "out of respect" but then again I wonder if there is another reason? Maybe he doesn't even own the rights of that tape even though he may have it in his collection.

A similar situation happened with Philadelphia's TV legend Sally Starr some years back. Some of her work found it way onto You Tube. Films of her own show !! However they were taken down off You Tube by..none other than Dick Clark !!! It seems that when Dick Clark took his American Bandstand from Philadelphia to Hollywood in 1964, just before he left Philly he bought the rights to everything in the archives at the station ( WFIL..today's WPVI channel 6 ), even the shows that aired on that station that had nothing to do with American Bandstand like Sally Starr's.

I don't know if that the case here, but something tells me there is "another reason" why he won't upload anything with Chubbuck.

Seagorath Guest
    Maybe he'll change his mind one day...there could in fact be another reason perhaps...only he knows. I'm sure we'll get some concrete answers someday.

I don't get why he refuses to put Christine and her Suncoast Digest on You Tube. Maybe he says it is "out of respect" but then again I wonder if there is another reason? Maybe he doesn't even own the rights of that tape even though he may have it in his collection.

A similar situation happened with Philadelphia's TV legend Sally Starr some years back. Some of her work found it way onto You Tube. Films of her own show !! However they were taken down off You Tube by..none other than Dick Clark !!! It seems that when Dick Clark took his American Bandstand from Philadelphia to Hollywood in 1964, just before he left Philly he bought the rights to everything in the archives at the station ( WFIL..today's WPVI channel 6 ), even the shows that aired on that station that had nothing to do with American Bandstand like Sally Starr's.

I don't know if that the case here, but something tells me there is "another reason" why he won't upload anything with Chubbuck.

Wow, I just finished reading "Christine's Story" at that website. What a sad, disturbed woman she seemed to be.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

sunshine74137 Guest
    What a shame to go to all the trouble to off yourself on TV and then have it buried, In my opinion her wishes are not being followed. Also, wasn't anybody out and recorded the news to view later. I can't believe no one had a VCR running.

Seagorath Guest
    Out of the 500-1000 people that probably witnessed her suicide...there's no telling if any of them actually had a recorder then (or perhaps actually recorded it). I think the future of this footage lies in obtaining the mysterious "law enforcement training video" or the master copy in the FCC archives. I think I'm going to start "befriending" some FCC employees (via the net) to perhaps get some "insider scoop"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Cassette_Recording

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    What a shame to go to all the trouble to off yourself on TV and then have it buried, In my opinion her wishes are not being followed. Also, wasn't anybody out and recorded the news to view later. I can't believe no one had a VCR running.

Ah, the dark ages when a Sony Betamax cost $1000 and blank videocasettes were $30. Actually. this was even before that, I guess. I worked in a department store in 1979 and those were our prices.

It really is odd that she's just ignored and not talked about, though. She just seemed to have had a rather unhappy life, from that story on the website.
    Last edited by Laura Castellano; 06-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I doubt many people had them. Probably like one person per TOWN.

Curtis Radiohead Guest

I know for a FACT that I have seen this video. It was at the end of a story about the incident and on her life and I watched it. I remember being totally struck by how nonchalant and deliberate she was about the whole thing, even more than the Bud Dwyer video. I wish I had copied it but like I said, it was years ago. It is out there somewhere, for sure....

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Castellano View Post
    Ah, the dark ages when a Sony Betamax cost $1000 and blank videocasettes were $30. Actually. this was even before that, I guess. I worked in a department store in 1979 and those were our prices.
    My parents back in the 70s ( actually from 1965 until 1986 ) ran a TV store ( even after their divorce !!! ) and thats about how much they sold VCRs were back then as well.

Sears was selling VCRs, well VTR's as far back as 1972 and they I believe were about in the 1800-2800 dollar price range and they included a b/w camera too and since very few people in 1972 made more than 10,000 a year, well not too many people had them. It really was a play thing for the very rich like Carol Burnett, Elvis Presley, Sharon Tate, Hugh Hefner and of course Richard Dawson, Bob Crane and ..ok..John Carpenter !!

Jeez I remember back around 84 when a brand new VHS tape of a movie cost 39.99 at Target. A fuckin VHS tape! A mass produced magnetic tape recording.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Jeez I remember back around 84 when a brand new VHS tape of a movie cost 39.99 at Target. A fuckin VHS tape! A mass produced magnetic tape recording.
    What was it, Flashdance or Staying Alive?

Return of the Jedi.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Cathy J. Guest
    I was going to say Flashdance too.

My parents for a brief time in the early 80s tried to get into the video rental business. It was quite costly to get a membership in those days.
    At first they tried offering regular films like "9 to 5" and "On Golden Pond" but it didn't take very long to figure out what the public really wanted..PORN !!!

So to make money they started offering those kinds of flicks LOL and even X-rated Atari 2600 video games too ( Custer's Revenge !! ).

Actually they did quite well with renting all that porn..enough for them to buy me my very first car in 1984. A 1977 VW Rabbit !!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Return of the Jedi.
    Awseome LOL forty dollars ahahaaaa

Seagorath Guest
    ...and that was BEFORE the SPECIAL EDITION came out!

So to make money they started offering those kinds of flicks LOL and even X-rated Atari 2600 video games too ( Custer's Revenge !! ).
    Oh my GOD that made me laugh! My husband actually has a copy of Custer's Revenge packed away in a box somewhere! This is the only other place I'd ever heard of that thing!

Seagorath Guest
    My parents never bought me that game! ...I got stuck with E.T. instead...

PS — Sorry Christine for getting off subject...we'll be getting back with you soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer's_Revenge

Seagorath Guest
    I'm still planning to contact Sally Quinn about the Christine Chubbuck footage...but I've just been too damn busy...but I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZVi...eature=related

Noelle Page Guest
    Wowza. I never heard of this one! Truly horrifying. There must be people out there who remember seeing this. Kids, too, yikes.

Noelle Page Guest
    Wow, just spent the last 20 minutes reading up on Christine. She hid the revolver in her puppet bag!

Wonder why she had such difficulty finding a guy? She certainly was a beauty. Sounded very complex, though.

Seagorath Guest
    Yea, I would've asked Christine out on a date if I had worked with her in the early 70's (I really dig intelligent brunettes)...and yes, she was quite complex...too sad. I really want to score one of her funeral programs.

http://christinechubbuck.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Wow, just spent the last 20 minutes reading up on Christine. She hid the revolver in her puppet bag!

Wonder why she had such difficulty finding a guy? She certainly was a beauty. Sounded very complex, though.

Noelle Page Guest
    Yea, I would've asked Christine out on a date if I had worked with her in the early 70's (I really dig intelligent brunettes)...and yes, she was quite complex...too sad. I really want to score one of her funeral programs.

http://christinechubbuck.com/
    Must confess, for the longest time I thought it was a guy in your sig pic. Like some hippie. It's not the best picture, she looks a little mannish. In that short clip, though, she's gorgeous and intense. Definitley a heavy vibe about her though.

Must confess, for the longest time I thought it was a guy in your sig pic. Like some hippie. It's not the best picture, she looks a little mannish. In that short clip, though, she's gorgeous and intense. Definitley a heavy vibe about her though.
    I thought it was that Japanese dude that killed himself on a subway track that Seago posted a thread about.

Seagorath Guest
    Yea, I've always preferred the "tomboy" type girls, the ones in touch with their masculine side. I'm not one that's really into girly girls...

I thought it was that Japanese dude that killed himself on a subway track that Seago posted a thread about.
    Oops I am so wrong.

xenaswolf Guest
    It doesn't sound like many folks liked her and she made it hard for them to like her. Sad really sad.

xenaswolf Guest
    Yea, I've always preferred the "tomboy" type girls, the ones in touch with their masculine side. I'm not one that's really into girly girls...

Me too!