Thread: Lyle Waggoner

Sucks to be a BoomGen lately. Everybody you grew up with on TV and Radio are clocking out. RIP Lyle.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I haven't thought about him in ages. RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Probably the last TV appearance he made was on that Burnett 50th anniversary show in 2017. Oddly enough they had him on for just one segment, where they discussed how funny Tim Conway (who was too ill to participate in the show) was! Sort of odd IMO since (although Tim was very funny) they could've talked a bit more about Lyle's contributions to the show during that segment. He was one genuine hunk back in the day, and let's not forget that he auditioned for the Batman role. Adam West got the part, but there are various autographed photos of Lyle in Batman garb for sale on EBay.
    Last edited by Dave62; 03-17-2020 at 03:13 PM.

I was just watching a short of silly songs from the Carol Burnett song today. In one of Carol's books, she said that she was embarrassed at how they had her go "ga ga" over Lyle in the early shows. If you ever want to see something really funny, watch the video of Carol as Chiwanga (Charo). Steve Lawrence is hosting a late night show and Lyle plays Mark Spitz. It is on youtube. It is hilarious. Lyle did well for himself in later times creating RVs, if I am correct?
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I haven't thought about him in ages. RIP
    True, as a child who enjoyed American TV in the 1970s
    I am sad tonight.
    Please Carol Burnett live for a long time.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Just being honest. I never cared for his parts on Burnett. With Conway and Korman he was just kinda, meh.

RIP Lyle.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I'd say on Carol Burnett he did his job well of filling out an ensemble cast. He was a good-looking man for sure.
    Pecunia Loquitur Taurus Cacas Ambulat

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    True, as a child who enjoyed American TV in the 1970s
    I am sad tonight.
    Please Carol Burnett live for a long time.

Me too. Just Carol and Vicki left. Lyle reminded me of my dad - who is still alive and a year older.

I never liked Lyle on the CB show. I didn't think he added anything then or now to the show. However, I loved the rest of the characters.....especially the late Tim Conway and Harvey Korman!
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Maybe Lyle was hired on the cheap as a male counterpart to Vicki, both of whom would ostensibly appeal to the younger viewers ? Both he and Vicki were unknowns; he has only 2 or 3 apperances listed on IMDB prior to his time on the Burnett show. Conway's joining the cast was a lifesaver to the show, but IMO way too many sketches were ruined by the performers' cracking each other up. Most of the sketches where that took place weren't that funny (to the point where they couldn't regain their composure). Didn't Korman leave the show at some point, to be replaced by Dick Van Dyke ? Presumably Lyle thought that Wonder Woman would generate the same amount of public interest that Batman did a decade earlier. Unfortunately for him, his WW character was just a clueless, colorless sidekick. Batman was deliberately campy and proud of it, whereas Wonder Woman seemed to be faithful to the original concept of a genuine super-heroine conquering evil in every episode.