Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

EJAK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Ejak!
    Thanks Mammy, Great to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Hi Jack, welcome to the thread. I see you're hooked on learning about this fire, join the club.. oh wait, you already have! I see you write music, I admire that! I play drums and write a little bit, but I wish I could write better. Do you have a site where we can hear your songs?

The list you posted above is a good reminder that there have been several similar tragic fires. One to add to that list is the 2013 Kiss Nightclub fire in Brazil. It was perhaps the most similar of all to the Station Fire, and eerie because it happened almost exactly 10 years later.
    Yes the Kiss Nightclub fire was very eerie! A Tragic case of history repeating itself. If only some laws were international!

And yes, I just got a rough mix of "Johanna" sent back to me yesterday by my producer, however that was just so I didn't miss out on a record company submission deadline. It does sound great, but I am going to wait until I get the final mix. I'll put it on my soundcloud and let everyone know. I'm sure some people would be interested to hear it as that name is like my "41" as described in my very first post!

Welcome EJAK! So nice to hear from new friends. As for the ladies' room, I think that I would have been scared to death to go out into the fire. Maybe Bridget and Katie thought that they could get a little bit more time by staying in there. Who knows for sure? What a terrible situation to be placed into.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

3. 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    On a different subject, I found a rather disturbing portion of a witness statement by Stefanie Simpson. She said that when the fire broke out, she checked the ladies room because the friend she went with had gone there before the show started. She said her friend had left (and survived) but she saw two other women in there. I assume they were Bridget Sanetti and Katie O'Donnell. She led one of them out, to find the club already on fire. Stefanie said she barely made it out by being tossed out a window. But this leads me to wonder about the 2 bodies found in the ladies room. Based on Stefanie's description, it suggests that the lady she led out of the bathroom saw the fire and went back in, maybe because she didn't want to face the fire or she didn't want to leave her friend, or both? Anyway it is a tragic perspective on the final moments of those two poor women.
    Great find, dionyzus, that was an interesting witness statement. I'm thinking that Bridget/Katie went back for the other one as well... and like you said, fear was also a factor. My heart still gets heavy every time I hear her uncle screaming, "Bridget! BRIDGET!!!" on the video... the desperation in his voice is palpable.

The 3 books i ordered have finaly Arrived:-) intend to start reading From the ashes later tonight

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrica View Post
    The 3 books i ordered have finaly Arrived:-) intend to start reading From the ashes later tonight
    It's a good book, but "Killer Show" is my favorite.

I agree, Mammy! Besides the few factual errors, Killer Show is a lot more informative. Gina's book is good too, but definitely came from a personal place.

Looking forward to read that book also:-) I just have to mentally prepare myself first

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAmander View Post
    I agree, Mammy! Besides the few factual errors, Killer Show is a lot more informative. Gina's book is good too, but definitely came from a personal place.
    I liked Gina's book other than her spending a lot of time insulting her ex husband. I just didn't see where it fit in with anything pertaining to the fire. I really like John Barylick's writing style. He had a way of explaining things without it being complicated. The Dina/Jenn identification still bugs me though.

Lyrica, there are parts of it that are hard to read, but he does a good job of explaining things. If you go to the Amazon reviews of the book, the very first review was by a survivor of the fire. She had only good things to say about the book.
    Last edited by Mammy; 01-17-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Looking forward to read that book also:-) I just have to mentally prepare myself first
    I would also read through it the first time as just a read. Then the second time start taking notes. If not it will take you forever to get through it. I need to read Killer Show again. We need a FAD book club.

EJAK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    Welcome EJAK! So nice to hear from new friends.
    Thank you! It's great to know that all of the lovely people on this forum are as nice as they appear while reading through this thread!

I have seen quite a few of your posts and you have posted some great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Frank Drebin View Post
    Welcome, EJAK.
    Thanks very much!

Drums are great to play, not that I am any good at it, but I was forced into it on some of my earlier recordings due to the lack of a band :P

I enjoyed John Barylick's writing style. You really can tell by his writing how he feels about certain people. I wonder if the Jenn/Dina thing will ever get straightened out. Last I saw, Jenn had twins. Congratulations to her.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

I enjoyed John Barylick's writing style. You really can tell by his writing how he feels about certain people. I wonder if the Jenn/Dina thing will ever get straightened out. Last I saw, Jenn had twins. Congratulations to her.
    Did I mention that I got a signed copy of Killer Show for Christmas?

deleted this post as for some odd reason I kept thinking it was on this day. So much going on right now. I don't watch the video anymore, it bothers me.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 01-21-2015 at 09:27 AM.

A signed copy of Killer Show? Wow!

16. 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM

17. 01-21-2015, 03:37 AM

A signed copy of Killer Show? Wow!
    That's what I said, Noelle!

Why today? The anniversary is next month
    opps my bad some reason I thought it was that day, man I am out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    opps my bad some reason I thought it was that day, man I am out of it.
    It's never the wrong time to remember the victims.

Mammy Guest
    I totally agree! I've thought of them everyday lately since it's getting close to the anniversary again.

I wish John Barylick would come to Kentucky for a book signing. I'd definitely make a point of going to see him.

Goldieannabelle Guest
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've been thinking about them daily lately. Especially since the anniversary will soon be here.

I want to thank you all for this thread! Reading John Barylick's book in December launched me into another round of SNF research. I was hoping to find a forum where people still discussed it. I never dreamed it would be this thorough, long, detailed and exhaustive! Now I know almost every piece of minutiae that has been publicly released.

What I can not find is the full list of beneficiaries who received the $176 settlement. This document, the "Report and Recommendation relating to settlement of minors' claims:"

explains that there were 329 claims in the final tally. The "case numbers" mentioned in it do not correspond to the "plaintiff numbers" in the Gray et al lawsuit. The names seem to be listed in Exhibits G and H. I cannot find those exhibits anywhere. The underlines which should be clickable links are not clickable in any copy that I have read. Does anyone know where I can find the names?

There were about 12 other lawsuits brought together with Gray et al. I found the named plaintiffs for all of them except Andrew Paskowski et al. I cross-referenced the hundreds of plaintiffs with the list of people who were in the club. I think I found almost everyone involved in the suits. Of the 100 who died, I did not find Jeff Rader or Thomas Medeiros named in any suit. Would two families really not try to get financial recompense? Or is it just that their suits were brought by relatives with different last names?

I noticed that the family of Jennifer Stowers sued for wrongful death in this case. She survived the fire but died 3 months later from a pharmaceutical drug. Was their claim successful or denied?
    Elizabeth O'Connor was an unknown survivor until she was 'outed' in June of 2006. Victims had until February of 2006 to sue. Yet she was included in the lawsuit. What was the outcome of her claim?
    Both Brandon and David Fravala sued. David was rumoured to be outside when the fire broke out. What was the result of his claim? Perhaps he had been inside at 11:00 pm, the time required to be eligible for part of the settlement, but was outside by 11:07 when the fire broke out, which didn't affect eligibility.

I'm grateful for your time.

Welcome!

Truthfully, the outcomes of the cases haven't really been discussed & many were undisclosed amounts/results anyway.

Mammy Guest
    Financial settlements in any case are nearly always confidential. They deserved every nickel whether their injuries were mental, physical, or both. I have no doubt they would give it all back if life could go back to how it was before the fire. I do know how much the lawyers got, but that isn't too helpful.

Thank you, LLC and Mammy.

I haven't found anything stating that the list of beneficiaries is sealed or confidential. Until I do, I will remain curious. It's not the amount of money received that interests me, it's who chose not to sue and who may have been denied. Anyway, Document 2040 quantifies exactly how much money many people got, down to the penny. Somehow the link I posted last time messed up the formatting of my post, so it was removed. Sorry about that! Here it is as plain text if anyone wants to copy and paste. Remove the space after the colon and before the pdf.
    https: //s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/562804/1611425960-overview. pdf

I met Adam Florio in the drama department of CCRI in 2006 and '7. What a sweetheart! He spent several days in the hospital after the fire. Maybe even a week, I'm not sure. He posted photos of his burned face on his public MySpace page. It seems that he chose not to sue.

I would love to read the document, RodentLady. Unfortunately, the website requires you to sign up for things before you get in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, thank you for letting me know! It was a link I followed from this page on Providence Journal .com, I hadn't signed up for anything:
    http://www.providencejournal.com/top...ment-graphics/

I'm don't subscribe the Journal either and I was able to find the page. When doing searches I am often redirected to Projo's current main page instead of the link I wanted. Hopefully it will let you view it.

If the page comes up, look for the item within the grey borders on the right hand side. That is Document 2040. One of the "buttons" above it connects to a full screen version. Pages 6-15 are the most relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentLady View Post
    Oh, thank you for letting me know! It was a link I followed from this page on Providence Journal .com, I hadn't signed up for anything:
    http://www.providencejournal.com/top...ment-graphics/

I'm don't subscribe the Journal either and I was able to find the page. When doing searches I am often redirected to Projo's current main page instead of the link I wanted. Hopefully it will let you view it.

If the page comes up, look for the item within the grey borders on the right hand side. That is Document 2040. One of the "buttons" above it connects to a full screen version. Pages 6-15 are the most relevant.
    Thanks for the link RodentLady, that's a very interesting article. I don't think we have seen or discussed it before in this forum.

I'm a little disappointed that the top settlement amount shown there was $30 million from WPRI/Brian Butler, due to allegations he blocked patrons' exit. I have stated my opinion on this before, but at the only brief moment when it could have been alleged he stopped to "get a shot" of the stage, it looks pretty clear to me that the way the camera was bobbing back and forth, he seemed to be shuffling his feet. That would be the natural result of waiting for others to exit in front of him. Perhaps if it would have gone to trial and they brought in a video expert, this would have been verified. I'm just sad to see Brian's name tainted like that, as in my opinion anyway, he should not be at fault.

As for the victims, the grey border document at the side of the page gives some breakdowns of victim settlements though not by name. The breakdowns are pretty complicated, but it looks like the net claims for the victims and/or their surviving families range roughly from $250,000 to $1 million each.

Financial settlements in any case are nearly always confidential. They deserved every nickel whether their injuries were mental, physical, or both. I have no doubt they would give it all back if life could go back to how it was before the fire. I do know how much the lawyers got, but that isn't too helpful.
    They should be...
    And I also agree anyone who got a settlement deserves that and tack on 2 billion more...

For me, I am really uncomfortable with posting victims lawsuits and/or what they or their surviving family received as a result of that horrific night. IMO, it's like asking what someone has in their bank acct. or what their salary is.... not to mention the safety factor. Is it avail on the net? Yes, but not everyone is internet savvy or has good intentions & may see it as an opportunity.

All of them would much rather have their loved one than a check. A check that will never be enough to replace Pamela, Nicky, Tina, Linda, Kristen....and on and on and on...

This is the only remaining active thread on the internet for the Station.
    This thread has been very respectful to (especially cautious with the deceased) victims and their families & I would hate to have it seen in any other way. Most of the victims that have children are going to be of an age where researching their parents' fate will be of interest. I just don't want this thread that was so lovingly created in support of the victims of this tragedy turn into something else...

JMHO

Mammy Guest
    I agree that the financial settlements aren't something I want to be a part of discussing. It just seems disrespectful and incredibly invasive. Over and out.

1:38-1:49 in the pre-fire footage -- survivor Tim Rossano w/ the dark-collared red coat behind the highlighted patrons in the foreground? It looks like he's at the rear bar and then steps up onto the raised area aside of the soundboard. Tim Rossano is seen in the fire video emerging and walking away from the building. Still have yet to find survivor Erin Pucino, who is said to appear in the vid.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 02-01-2015 at 02:13 PM.

I can't find Erin Pucino, either. I see the man at the front door handing his coat to her trying to pull her out

Hey there all you thread members! Been out of the picture for months due to some health issues, trying not to outdue LLC! Glad to se all the newbies and renewed interest in this event. Also glad to see so many old friends. TJ, I will be holding you close in my heart this month as we approach the anniversary.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

I started to read From the ashes three weeks ago, but since my dad ended up in hospital at the time, my head was totally chaos and I could not concentrate, so gave up the whole book. But restarted again yesterday and have now finished reading it.

What can i say.. The book was okay, but it didtn blow me away like other survivor books have done. (for example: Boston Marathon survivor Jeff Bauman`s book: Stronger. I cried the entire time I read it)

And I agree with Mammy and the others who mentioned this: Gina trashtalked her xhusband too much. I understand that he is a part of her lifestory, but we didnt need all the details.

And there are some people she did not mention at all in the book, which I thought she had written about, which surprised me a bit. But guess she has her reasons for it, so shall not dwell any more on it.

After reading your comments i understand that Killer show is a very tough book to read. So I will wait to read it and starts rather on the night When music ended today

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Seems reasonable.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

MA hole Guest
    I've been wanting to post lately since activity has picked up, but I'm usually so busy that it relegates me to "perpetual lurker" status. Anyway, I happened upon this link last night, it's award and grant-winning poetry from a local girl who was personally affected by the fire. I found it quite poignant and I don't believe it's been posted yet. http://thepoetsbillow.org/literary-a...s-in-new-beds/

You guys are so thorough, by the way. I've been combing through the share drive documents and each time I have an "ah ha..." moment, I go on here and it's been covered.

MA hole, that is quite the read. Moved me.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

The poems gave me chills

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Seems reasonable.
    Warmer too. I'm just happy they are doing something with the memorial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I was disappointed when I read that the Heart Park (the little memorial set up on the site) was fenced off and all of the mementos removed. I hope that the formal memorial will open soon, but I don't understand where the money would have come from. If anyone knows, please tell me.

I found the Heart Park to be be quite soothing. In the first couple of years, it was still covered in sand. By 2006 it had become a lush green lawn, as if the Love of the pilgrims visiting the place had willed it to do so. Love was screaming up through every blade of grass.
    Even this place of solace has been taken away from the people who remained in Rhode Island.

I was disappointed when I read that the Heart Park (the little memorial set up on the site) was fenced off and all of the mementos removed. I hope that the formal memorial will open soon, but I don't understand where the money would have come from. If anyone knows, please tell me.

The money come from donations

I start reading Killer show today

The money come from donations
    Fabulous! The foundation raised the millions it wanted? I had no idea, that is wonderful news.

Fabulous! The foundation raised the millions it wanted? I had no idea, that is wonderful news.
    According to Mammy in a recent post, the figure is lower than their original goal. But I agree with her that something nice should be able to be built with what they have.

The last I heard, the foundation has roughly $200,000 to build a memorial with so far. It seems like a really nice memorial could be built with that amount of money.

I'm finished reading killer show. A very good book, but parts of it made me nauseous.
    Should let it sink in a bit, so will i in a few days go into the youtube video and look for the events and people he mentions in the book

I'm finding more supposed survivors than what's on the list of 462 attendees that night, although some of these additional names are from a witness list. So maybe they were outside rescuers/helpers/on-lookers? But I'm also finding some names, such as Beth O'Connor (Paul Bertolo gf) and Beth Brittcliffe who are claimed to be survivors, but aren't on the list of 462 attendees. I'm suspecting they could be going by maiden names or married names or even by their middle names. Any comment on this? There is only a couple of Beths (or variations of) on the list of 462. Any other name changes among the survivors known? I know Linda Fisher is now Linda Saran.

Anyone know of any survivor deaths since 2/20/2003? I came up with four -- Lisa Scott (fall down stairs 8/03), Catherine Sagesta (cancer 2/08), Ronald S. Schoepfer (heart attack 8/09), and Jon W. Alberghini Jr. (car accident 2012).

Jen Stowers. I believe she fell down flight of stairs. How did you hear of the others?

Thanks for the reply. I had to look into it. Jen Stowers passed away 3 months after the fire in May 2003 from complications of an anti-depressant drug. Lisa Scott was the stairs in August 2003. I forget how I found out about the four I found. I have been doing research on the survivors lately. Something may have happened to Kevin Blom too, but I can't find any info on him.

I'm finding more supposed survivors than what's on the list of 462 attendees that night,
    Anyone know of any survivor deaths since 2/20/2003?
    Deaths: Gennaro Companatico died in September of 2012. I learned that from this thread.

Survivors: The "Projo List of 462" contains four more names than the official list from the Attorney General's data dump. One of those, Michael Shapiro, was a member of the band Trip. He was right outside the club in the tour bus when the fire broke out. The other three people are Theresa O'Toole, Robert Stephens and Michael Henry Turek. I have found no mention of them anywhere else. They have no witness statements, they were not involved in any lawsuits and I have not seen them mentioned by anyone else. But I've only gotten through half of the statements so far.

Others who were outside when the fire started: Brian Loftus, David Fravala, Joseph Amato, Chris Jacobs.

Survivor John J. Kelly stated that he was in the club with his friend, Barry Conroy. That man is not mentioned anywhere else.

The official list has 458 names. If we add Elizabeth O'Conner, that's 459 people with paper trails admitting to being inside. Five people were outside, but I think I've forgotten at least two others. I recall reading their statements but their names elude me. Like Barry Conroy (mentioned above) and Kerri & Harry Hall (mentioned earlier in this thread by member TJH960,) it is quite likely that several other people were present that night, but never gave statements at all.

MA hole Guest
    I found this today, it's a juror questionnaire with what looks like a pretty exhaustive list of the attendees that night as well as list of what I'm guessing is relatives of the deceased? I'm at work so I can't cross check with the witness list on the shared docs.

It says it's for the trial against Michael Derdarian. This thing is so thorough, it must have been really difficult to find jurors for any of these proceedings in a state as insular as RI. http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/79400/do...=1418834105563

53. 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

RodentLady, Thanks for adding that name to the list. So that's at least six survivor deaths: Jennifer Lee Stowers (May 2003), Lisa Scott (August 2003), Catherine Sagesta (2008), Ronald Schoepfer (2009), Jon W. Alberghini Jr. (2012), and Gennaro Companatico (2012).

MAHole, so that first group of individuals in the jury questionnaire looks to be everyone who was inside when the fire broke out. Wonder who this Beth Brittcliffe is, who is said to be a survivor. Was she inside or outside, did she just walk in through the door and turned back around at sight of the fire, like someone else claimed- a Michael Camera? And Paul Bertolo's gf - Beth O'Connor - why is her name not on any list?

David Fravala makes sense now. I've been seeing him associated with the fire all over the place, but he wasn't on my list of 462, so I just shrugged him off. So he was there, but outside.