Thread: Rescued Ferrets...

Ken Guest

Lightbulb Rescued Ferrets...

My daughter just rescued 2 ferrets from some neighbors that were going to abandon them. They are in poor shape; bony and listless.

We have began feeding and watering them and now they are perking up quite a bit. They had a puppy that they kept in a cage, and my ex-SIL rescued him.

They had the nerve to tell us "you can take them if you want, otherwise we're going to leave them".

Does anyone know anything about ferrets? What snacks they might like, toys and activities, etc?

Ask Clean Skull. He's the ferrest master! There are also a couple of other people on here who have ferrets, but I can't remember who they are at the moment.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Chevyheaven Guest
    Thats so awesome how food and water can perform this littlest of miracles. I dont understand people who just "leave" pets. Someone should just "Leave" them. My wife adopted this cat that some people just "left" because she was pregnant. Now we have friggin kittens running round pooping everywhere. Oh well we are giving them away slowly

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Those people are fucking morons. As I like to say, there is a special place for such assholes in hell.

I don't know too much about ferrets but I would like to say that you truly are blessed people for taking them in. Maybe call your local vet...if they've not been taken care of the right way maybe they need some vitamins, or they could give you some ideas on maybe some special 'perk them up' food. Maybe some cooked chicken or beef?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Awwwwwwww that is so sad. I want another Ferret so bad and cannot get one in Ca. I donlt know how people can abuse defenseless little animals like this,
    Ask Cleanskull he has ferrets..he can help you.

opheliahardin Guest
    The Ferret Owners Manual is a 34 page PDF, but very complete. I'd recommend printing it out and reading the whole thing. You can read the online version here.

Your daughter's taken on a very rewarding task. Ferrets are great! I've had three for four years, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

RoRo Guest
    so glad y'all rescued them!!!! wish I had some advice but I know nothing about ferrets cept that they are cute as hell!!

lisalouver Guest
    Ken! How wonderful of you and your daughter! Kudos to you!

And yes, CleanSkull is the expert! He will love to help you!

Your neighbors are asshats!

What I use for a soup for ailing ferrets is take a good quality ferret food and grind it as fine as I can. What I use for grinding is a cheap coffee grinder that I bought just for that purpose. Mix it with water until you get a soupy consistency. Warming it slightly makes it more palatable and comforting to a ailing ferret. Just stick your finger in and makes sure its not to hot. A kibbled food for ferrets is very high protein that they need since they have a primitive digestive tract.

Any more questions PM me and I will try and help. Lord knows I have been through this way too many times with mistreated ferrets. I was sheltering 14 at one time years ago cause no one else seem to give a damn.

Your a good person for caring. Ferrets are special.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Ken Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    The Ferret Owners Manual is a 34 page PDF, but very complete. I'd recommend printing it out and reading the whole thing. You can read the online version here.

Your daughter's taken on a very rewarding task. Ferrets are great! I've had three for four years, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Thanks for the PDF Ophelia! I will print this out and read it at work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    What I use for a soup for ailing ferrets is take a good quality ferret food and grind it as fine as I can. What I use for grinding is a cheap coffee grinder that I bought just for that purpose. Mix it with water until you get a soupy consistency. Warming it slightly makes it more palatable and comforting to a ailing ferret. Just stick your finger in and makes sure its not to hot. A kibbled food for ferrets is very high protein that they need since they have a primitive digestive tract.

Any more questions PM me and I will try and help. Lord knows I have been through this way too many times with mistreated ferrets. I was sheltering 14 at one time years ago cause no one else seem to give a damn.

Your a good person for caring. Ferrets are special.
    <blush> Thanks!! They are really active now even since posting this eariler today. Chasing each other and getting into stuff. Very "nosy" creatures I see now. But happy and lighthearted, even after being so drained.
    I will have my duaghter make the soup for them tonight and keep y'all posted. We went today to find a hammock for them but they have none till Friday. But we got some daily spritz to keep the odor down.
    One is Albino and the other has the typical "bandit" markings. The albino is named Toby and the bandit is name Lu-Fan (LOO-fahn).
    The neighbors even gave us an awesome hutch with them and a little carrier. Not sure WHY they would neglect such lovely friends...but they are in WAY better hands now!
    Thanks, again!!

mel306 Guest
    Good for you for rescuing. I was just outside getting bitten by bugs while feeding a cat that came to me hungry. I cannot tell if he is a stray or lost yet. He hangs with my kitten.

Question for the ferret people: We are not allowed to have ferrets here in NY either, but of course our pet stores are stocked with stuff for them which cracks me up. Why are they banned in some places?
    Last edited by mel306; 07-28-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Misinformation

Chascsq Guest
    I used to have them. We used to feed them Purina Cat chow, and pine sheddings works good for them. We had to give them up when we moved to Cali. I miss them.

I love ferrets. i used to go rabbiting with them.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

If your new ferrets seem pretty active then they prolly do not need the soup I mentioned earlier. For their best health feed them ferret food. Even the best cat food does not have enough protein. And some cat food has zinc added and thats a no no for ferrets. Causes health problems. Please do not use ANY aromatic wood shavings as the aromatic oils cause lung and eye problems. Shred newspaper works well and the BEST litter is a brand called "Yesterdays News". Its recycled newspaper thats been pelleted. Get the unscented. If they are a bit smelly, give 'em a bath. Pet stores have good ferret shampoo. Keep their bedding washed also. Do they drink out of a bowl or a lick bottle? Just keep their water fresh also. Be careful when you let them run loose as they can really get into about anything they want.

If you have a recliner or a rocker do not use them while the furbabies are out. They will get up in the furniture.

ANY questions please PM me.

Kudos to you Ken for taking in the orphaned ferrets! I love happy endings! Unfortunately not all abandoned animals get a second chance. Please listen to what cleanskull is saying. He knows his business and can really be of help to you. Have fun with your furry friends!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't forget to start your day with a nutritious breakfast!

this is the reason we have so many dogs and cats. ppl take them on then fin out they don't want them. it pisses me off

panda Guest
    There's a special place for people like you & your daughter KEN, sounds like a win/win situation, both family & ferrets very happy! Listen to the wise words of the fettetmaster, Cleanskull.............he da man!

There is also a special place for people like your neighbors, the animal abusers, and it is NOT anywhere near your place....

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I love ferrets. i used to go rabbiting with them.
    In Singapore?

I thought that was an avocation singular to the British Isles?

I'd love to hear how you went about it.

Rabbit recipes also welcome, as well... :P

opheliahardin Guest
    Ken,

I hope you'll keep us updated on the progress your daughter is having integrating them into your family.

As you've no doubt noticed, they can be handful. Like a two-year old toddler.... A very high-maintenance pet.

But well worth it to those who have a personality similiar to the fuzz-butts: Curious, playful, and very, very smart!

In Singapore?

I thought that was an avocation singular to the British Isles?

I'd love to hear how you went about it.

Rabbit recipes also welcome, as well... :P
    Back home in Australia.

You find a rabbit warren and then you attempt to cover as many exits as you can with netting. Slip a couple of ferrets into the warren and watch the rabbits come flying out into the net. You have to be quick to separate the ferret from the rabbit though as the ferrets are fearsome nasty little fellas when they set their mind to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cupcake187 Guest
    I had three ferrets when I lived in Washington state, you figure ferrets poop every three hours.. three ferrets =1 pile of poop and hours.. that's 24 piles of poop a day.. needless to say.. they need to be cleaned often! LOL.. my ferrets LOOOVEd playing in the tub.. I'd just fill it up a little and they'd play with the toys I bought them..

watch your keys.. they will hide them under furniture.. they're known for being thieves.. they generally poop in corners so if you want to try to train them put the little corner litter boxes in the spots that they tend to gravitate to more often..

As for nutrition.. my ferrets loved their teaspoon of vitamin E a day.. they licked the spoon dry and would trample over each other to get to the spoon. they would eat my cat food, but I bought special ferret food from the local pet store...

it's good you got two.. they're very loving creatures and need the attention.. so they can depend on each other to never feel alone.. it's really quite sweet.

man, i can go on about them forever.. I miss them.. damn California laws!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Damn California laws, indeed...

That's why I was so surprised the other night when a lady came into my store carrying a ferret!

I'd never seen one up close and in person, let alone held one! But she let me hold him. It was cool!

Such a sweet little guy! And I got my chin nuzzled! Awww!

Congrats on the new additions to your family, Ken!

Hi there! Add me to the conga line of people wanting to kick the nads of your disgusting neighbors.

You are cool people! maybe some piccies once things settle down? ferrets are cool.

Ken Guest
    Thanks for all the support! They are really doing great now! I have been reading up on their behaviors, feeding, temperment, etc...Toby has been giving me his "war dance" and being very playful now. Lu-Fan is not quite as playful, yet. But both are very curious, to say the least.

I notice Toby hoarding some food behind the couch. I got such a kick out of watching him grab a piece of food and run across the room to hide it...then run back to the little pile to repeat until all the "treasure" was secure.

My daughter wants to sell one for some reason, but from what I've read from y'all and online they are very social and need "buddies" close to them for support. I'm going to have to get all their shots soon too.

I love them!!

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Do ferrets talk? No, not ordering a happy meal talk, but do they purr or squeal? I have no idea...

Ferrets have a "chuckle" called dooking, when they are happy and playing. They have a low volume hiss when their pissed. And if they get real scared or hurt they have a loud squeal.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Our neighbors don't care for their cats they were running around having litters of kittens. I knew the neighbors were getting pissed and would probably call the pound if it continued so i catnapped them spayed and neutered them all and returned them. LOL. I'm glad the ferrets found you!!!

opheliahardin Guest
    Don't break up the pair! If they've been together for any length of time they will be bonded together and both can go into an awful funk if separated. Besides, once the novelty wears off, they'll have each other to play with!

Ferreting in Australia, yes. Singpore? I had my doubts. Thanks for clearing that up.

Please do not sell one. Ferrets bond like people and I have almost lost ferrets when their buddy passed away. I had one male years ago that got so upset he quit eating and drinking. I bottle feed him and for 2 weeks had to give him sub-c fluids daily to keep from dehydrating. Toby and Lu-Fann belong together. If they get to be too much let me know and I will see if I can work out a visit down your way and take them in.

Ken Guest
    ***UPDATE***
    We are keeping them together, for sure. They are doing GREAT! I let them out about 3 times a day and they tear the place up. Nah, they romp and fight and investigate and steal and hoard and then pass out in one of their many nests about the house. I love them! I will be posting some pics soon!
    Thanks for the support!!
    -Ken

panda Guest
    Thanks for the update Ken! Sounds like all of you are having a great time, that is so nice to hear. Can't wait for the pics!

halogirl5 Guest
    Dunno how I missed this thread! good for you, my ferrets are all rescues (two born in a centre and one literally found wandering the streets). Another thing they like to eat is raw chicken wings and drumsticks. The biggest challenges are cleaning the poo and stopping them getting into everything but they are really great. I would agree-keep them together cos they are sociable.

Ken Guest

Some pics (finally)

Here are some pics of the ferrets.

This is Toby
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toby.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	7575

And Lu-Fan with Toby
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toby_Lu-Fan.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	7576

These are from the first days when we rescued them. They are doing real good. I will post more pics later as I am in a rush.

Thanks!!

So very glad you kept them together. They really do bond. Luv the pics, thanx for posting.

opheliahardin Guest
    Awww..... how sweet! Glad they're doing so well.

I just got back from a month's vacation. My neighbor took care of them while I was gone and while they got fed and had their litterbox clean out and had some time out of the cage, I could tell they really missed someone actually playing with them.

My neighbor was a choice of last resort because my other two "ferret buddies" had other obligations.

I bring this up to suggest you find some other ferret people living in your area so you can babysit for eachother. A real ferret person will make sure they get plenty of play and not just the basics. Having other ferrets in the house is lots of fun, too.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I was lucky to get my little guy when he was a baby and he used the litter box. He was so good and our cat would clean him everyday and he would let him! They bonded so nicely. I think the cat taught him lots of things especially the litter box routine. Boots (the cat) was old but he loved Soxs our little ferret. I got all of Sox's food from a vet. I did have to hide the chicken tho when it was defrosting because he would try to get it. When I get my own apartment I am going to get another little Ferret. or 2 of them.
    First my Boots died of old age , he was 15 and Sox was totally lost with out him and then Sox's got cancer . I miss them both so much. So good of you to help these poor little critters.
    These neighbors need a good swift kick!

Enjoy them they are loads of fun and so full of love.

lisalouver Guest
    Ken those ferrets are just about the cutest things I have seen in a long time! I am so glad they are doing so well and that you are keeping them together!

I laughed when I read about the hoarding food behind the couch and my eyes welled up when I read cleanskulls post about coming down so that they would not be seperated.

What a great group we have here.

Ken Guest
    I bring this up to suggest you find some other ferret people living in your area so you can babysit for eachother. A real ferret person will make sure they get plenty of play and not just the basics. Having other ferrets in the house is lots of fun, too.
    That is a very good idea!! Thanks!!

Ken Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Ken those ferrets are just about the cutest things I have seen in a long time! I am so glad they are doing so well and that you are keeping them together!

I laughed when I read about the hoarding food behind the couch and my eyes welled up when I read cleanskulls post about coming down so that they would not be seperated.

What a great group we have here.
    Yah!! I absolutley love them! I let them out to play for a coupla hours a day; usually when I get home from work after 8am. They hear me coming in the front door and press their noses through the bars of the hutch waiting for me to let them out.

Also, a question: Lu-Fan has mostly gotten over a cold and Toby seems to have it. I'm not real worried, but they seem to have some congestion. They seem to have sneezing fits, but are getting better. Any suggestions as to home remedies for the sniffles??

Love yall for all the lovin'!!

<<hugs>>

-Ken

Old Soul Guest
    Your a straight up hero and your new babies know it.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    I'm so happy that they are with someone who loves them - good on you Ken! They are adorable!

KristinEileen Guest
    My brother has two ferrets and they are the sweetest things!! Their names are Lucy and Ricky...My bro bought Ricky first thinking that he was a girl after a trip to the vet we found out that Rick was a boy...Rob felt bad for Ricky being alone so he bought Lucy. We play this game with them called Hallway...We open the hall door and let them go flying down it! They loved to be chased and they love to chew on my brothers sneakers.

Congrats Ken on being a compassionate person and on the adoption of your new furbabies.

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    They seem to have sneezing fits, but are getting better. Any suggestions as to home remedies for the sniffles??
    Mine seem to get the sneezies when I don't vacuum enough. Since they always have their noses to floor, it kind of makes sense.

BTW, they LOVE tubes! Go to Home Depot and get a flexible dryer tube and watch the fun. (you might want to bend the sharp wire edges on the ends over so they don't poke themselves)

If your car is big enough, you can also get one of those long tubes for carpeting. Home Depot will just give them to you if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Thanks for all the support! They are really doing great now! I have been reading up on their behaviors, feeding, temperment, etc...Toby has been giving me his "war dance" and being very playful now. Lu-Fan is not quite as playful, yet. But both are very curious, to say the least.

I notice Toby hoarding some food behind the couch. I got such a kick out of watching him grab a piece of food and run across the room to hide it...then run back to the little pile to repeat until all the "treasure" was secure.

My daughter wants to sell one for some reason, but from what I've read from y'all and online they are very social and need "buddies" close to them for support. I'm going to have to get all their shots soon too.

I love them!!
    So since you originall posted they have come on leaps and bounds?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ken,

Ferrets can catch anything a human can. When someone has a cold use the same protocol you would use to keep your kids from catching it, wash hands before handling, etc. Most times they will get over a cold OK. If the congestions worsens you might need to get a vet to prescribe amoxicillin for secondary infection in the respiratory system.

knothere Guest
    demz beez sum keeeyoootz furbabies

Ken Guest
    Mine seem to get the sneezies when I don't vacuum enough. Since they always have their noses to floor, it kind of makes sense.

BTW, they LOVE tubes! Go to Home Depot and get a flexible dryer tube and watch the fun. (you might want to bend the sharp wire edges on the ends over so they don't poke themselves)

If your car is big enough, you can also get one of those long tubes for carpeting. Home Depot will just give them to you if you ask.
    YES! I had and extra dryer hose that they play in daily! I have also made a "trash pile" just for them to dig through. Just a few cut up t-shirts, wads of paper, a few envelopes, shoe strings, tennis ball halves all in a box. They climb up inside and drag stuff out. Nothing that can harm them, they drag some things to their nests, and after I put them away I retrieve it all for next playtime. Just like kids. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    So since you originall posted they have come on leaps and bounds?
    Oh, yes! They are super active now and have filled out considerably.

They were listless and bony when we first got them. I almost cried when I first held them seeing the shape they were in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Ken,
    Ferrets can catch anything a human can. When someone has a cold use the same protocol you would use to keep your kids from catching it, wash hands before handling, etc. Most times they will get over a cold OK. If the congestions worsens you might need to get a vet to prescribe amoxicillin for secondary infection in the respiratory system.
    I was thinking that same thing Cleanskull, as I have had the sniffles the last few weeks but just passed it off as allergies. Lu-Fan is doing good now, and Toby is getting better daily. I will pass that info on to my daughter and adjust our handling accordingly.

Toby still has the energy, let me tell you. He is the more aggressive of the two. I let them run about the house but he takes time to ninja my leg and run off dooking down the hall!

opheliahardin Guest
    Cleanskull and I will wait with bated breath when you fill a box with rice and present it to them as a sandbox in which to play...

PS -- make it a box with high sides, or you'll be sorry!

EDIT: Hey, the "trash pile" sounds like fun. I'm going to try that!