Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimberly Bergalis - claimed to be infected with AIDS by her dentist

Cadence71 Guest

Kimberly Bergalis - claimed to be infected with AIDS by her dentist

Kimberly Bergalis (January 9, 1968â??December 8, 1991) was an American woman who claimed to have been infected with HIV by Dr. David Acer, a gay dentist with AIDS.

Bergalis, of Fort Pierce, Florida, stated she was a virgin who never took IV drugs or received a blood transfusion.
    Bergalis insisted that the only instance in which she could have been exposed to HIV was through her HIV-positive dentist, during a December 1987 procedure to have her molars removed. Her dentist, Dr. David Acer, had been diagnosed with AIDS three months before performing the procedure and died in September 1990. The time between Bergalis' dental procedure and the development of AIDS (24 months) was short; 1% of infected homosexual/bisexual men and 5% of infected transfusion recipients develop AIDS within 2 years of infection (5,6). (CDC (1990-07-27). Possible Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus to a Patient during an Invasive Dental Procedure.)
    The CDC concluded that Ms. Bergalis, as well as 5 other unrelated patients, had contracted the same strain of HIV from Dr. Acer. CDC-conducted tests of DNA sequencing showed that there was a high correlation between the strain of HIV carried by Ms. Bergalis and the others, and that of Dr. Acer. Later review of the CDC tests strengthened the case that Bergalis's HIV infection was linked to Acer. [1]

Accusations against Bergalis

During the last months of her life, Ms. Bergalis' case was cited by some politicians and journalists as an example of a 'blameless' HIV infection that had been allowed to happen due to the CDC and the healthcare industry being overly responsive to the concerns of AIDS activists and the gay community, with critics often claiming that Dr. Acer was "... an admitted homosexual." In an obituary, the National Review wrote that Bergalis "...came to feel she had a special calling...to bring a glimmer of truth, however forlorn, into a debate characterized by confusion, denial, smugness, and suicidal self-indulgence... 'No sexual history' is how the jaded describe a chaste woman of 23 who, as Miss Bergalis explained to disbelieving interviewers, 'wanted to wait for marriage.' Marriage and its joys will never come for Kimberly Bergalis, but in her integrity and courage she affirmed that other things were also precious."
    Bergalis actively participated in several actions by congressmen to pass legislation restricting the activities of persons infected with HIV. Shortly before Bergalis' 1991 death, despite failing health, she testified before the Congress in support of a bill mandating HIV tests for healthcare workers, but the legislation did not pass.
    Almost immediately after Bergalis' death, additional information about Ms. Bergalis' sexual behavior came to light, and questions were raised as to whether Acer had, in fact, had anything to do with Bergalis' HIV infection. Concerns were raised about the veracity of Bergalis' claims that she had never engaged in sexual intercourse. In her book The Gravest Show on Earth: America in the Age of AIDS, author Elinor Burkett notes that doubt about the truth of Kimberly Bergalis' "virgin infection" claim "...was first raised at the February 1992 CDC meeting...a gynecological examination of Kimberly indicated that she had genital warts â?? the result of a sexually transmitted disease... Bergalis' vaginal opening was wide and her hymen was 'irregular at 3 and 9 o'clock,' conditions 'consistent with sexual intercourse.' Medical examinination also found lesions; a biopsy showed them to be human papillomavirus."
    In June 1994, CBS's 60 Minutes aired a program reporting that Bergalis was treated for genital warts, a sexually transmitted disease, and had admitted on videotape to having sex with two different men during her life.

Cadence71 Guest
    I remember being in college when this hit the news - scared the crap out of me.

Vamp Guest
    Why would she lie? Just for the money?

Chevyheaven Guest
    I remember the story from back in the day but I never heard that last part about her being sexually active and having warts. What a shame. She had to have known that the it would be found out that she wasnt as pure as she blaimed to be.

lisalouver Guest
    I remember this well. She and I are the same age. I also remember how terrible the pictures were of her shortly before her death.

The CDC linked her HIV infection to Acer, so I wonder why she felt the need to lie about not being a virgin?

And where in the hell did someone get her gyn reports showing that her vaginal opening was "wide"?

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I remember this well. She and I are the same age. I also remember how terrible the pictures were of her shortly before her death.

The CDC linked her HIV infection to Acer, so I wonder why she felt the need to lie about not being a virgin?

And where in the hell did someone get her gyn reports showing that her vaginal opening was "wide"?

Exactly. Why would personal medical records be made public this late in the game. The poor girl died a horrible death. RIP.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    Exactly. Why would personal medical records be made public this late in the game. The poor girl died a horrible death. RIP.
    Amen.

I had never heard any of the stuff about STD's, nor did I care, but they should leave her alone.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Most folks who have died of HIV-related illness have had horrible deaths. Whether K.B.'s infection was truly linked to Acer is still subject to speculation. What she did do, was bring a "new face" before the media of how dangerous HIV/AIDS is and how ALL of those who might be infected deserve to be treated with respect & dignity. Back in the 80's & early '90's, before current meds made long-term survival a reality, so much fear & bigotry was attached to the diagnosis.....a stigma that was & is un-deserved.

If you tell this story to kids, it would scare them from going to the dentist even more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

RaRaRamona Guest
    I was very afraid of the dentist when this happened. But this did make them start wearing masks & gloves. Before this they never did. Ew can you imagine??

They did link her strain of the virus to hie & a few other of his pts. It is possible to trace that. She was going to die & she probably didn't want her parents to know she'd had sex. Although I have never before heard about the girth of her vagina. Who knows?

deathybrad Guest
    What a bitch.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Got a little in-depth there with her...uh...privates, didn't they?

Maruz83 Guest
    Wow, wide vajaja !!!!! LOL sorry that made me laugh....

Why lie about something so stupid as sex, well the STD part meant she wasn't using CONDOMS !!!!!

deathybrad Guest
    You don't need to use condoms if you aren't having sex. Must be why I haven't bought condoms in a while...

I thought I remembered hearing that she submitted to the exam to prove she was a virgin. I seem to remember that because I thought it was dumb of her to do that, she should've known that at least the HPV would be discovered. There are other ways to tear your hymen, though, so that's not always in and of itself indicative of past sexual activity. At least, not past sexual activity with another person.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Why lie about something so stupid as sex, well the STD part meant she wasn't using CONDOMS !!!!!
    You can get warts & herpes without having sex. You can get the Herps from a toilet seat. That virus lives almost 24 hours, I believe.

I hover.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post
    I thought I remembered hearing that she submitted to the exam to prove she was a virgin. I seem to remember that because I thought it was dumb of her to do that, she should've known that at least the HPV would be discovered. There are other ways to tear your hymen, though, so that's not always in and of itself indicative of past sexual activity. At least, not past sexual activity with another person.
    I agree. Lots of athletes have torn hymen. And she could have gotten the wrats from making out. Theoretically.

Jazbabee Guest
    [quote=RaRaRamona;348708]I was very afraid of the dentist when this happened. But this did make them start wearing masks & gloves. Before this they never did. Ew can you imagine??

You took the words right out of my mouth......this was the beginning of widely practiced protection techniques. I remember as a kid, the only thing the dentist did was wash his hands before working in your mouth !

puddles Guest
    This person admitted to sleeping with 2 men so I guess she wasn't really a virgin after all, heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberly_Bergalis I don't believe a word this lady say's, I think she was looking for a payout.

Rosa Moline Guest
    I'm not buying it either. It's a well known fact that health workers are more likely to contract HIV etc; from their patients not the other way around. How would he have passed it to them? the only feasible method would be if he injected it directly into them or used the instruments on himself and then his patients...hmmmm...if he was really bitter and f*cked up, then maybe that's a possibility. So unless it can proved he did that, I don't believe it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a single case of health care worker-patient transmission. Apart from this highly spurious case.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    I'm not buying it either. It's a well known fact that health workers are more likely to contract HIV etc; from their patients not the other way around. How would he have passed it to them? the only feasible method would be if he injected it directly into them or used the instruments on himself and then his patients...hmmmm...if he was really bitter and f*cked up, then maybe that's a possibility. So unless it can proved he did that, I don't believe it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a single case of health care worker-patient transmission. Apart from this highly spurious case.
    The HIV virus is incredibly weak once it's been exposed to air--it is very difficult (virtually impossible actually) to transmit the disease in any way other than sexual intercourse (where the virus is not exposed to air at all) or directly through fresh blood contact with an open wound--and this type of infection is also very rare. Additionally, this woman had STDs--which can and many times do--seriously compromise the immune system, putting her at much greater risk for contracting opportunistic infections (HIV included).

How she got the STDs remains anyone's guess (though having genital warts/HPV would make her claim of virginity at least somewhat suspect), but the fact that she did have them is pertinent due to her participation in efforts to pass legislation restricting the activities of those with HIV and to mandate HIV testing for health care workers. These are very serious (and as we now know, knee-jerk) reactions when what the medical community and indeed the world needed at that time was cool heads and calm, reasonable thinking. This case fanned flames that perhaps needn't have been (most especially if she was herself sexually active) during a time when hysterical finger-pointing was the norm and much-needed research was seriously hampered by the lack of government funding by an unfeeling and uncaring administration.
    Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 07-29-2008 at 12:16 AM.

lisalouver Guest
    At work at the Medical Examiners Office, bodies who are known to be infected with HIV (or even Hepatitis) are left for 24 hours before autopsy in order to lessen the chance of an infection being passed on to our docs and techs.

That being said, around the same time as this case, we had a weird deal here in the Minneapolis area. There was a clinic in Minneapolis and not one but two of the doctors tested positive for HIV. They went public with it and urged all of their patients to get tested. I can not remember if any of their patients had contacted the virus, I need to look into it. This clinic and the docs made national news.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A967958260

http://www.mndaily.com/search/gopher...e.php?id=24176

I can only find info right now on Benson. I need to look at my local paper.

lisalouver Guest
    Here it is, Dr Richard Duff was the other doctor at the clinic.

He made the cover of Newsweek magazine.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/128178

Rosa Moline Guest
    I think it's really suspect that her illness progressed so rapidly (two years from infection to death, I believe I read) I honestly believe that she was infected PRIOR to her dental treatment. Does anyone know if she or the other people involved in this case were successful in suing Dr Acer's estate?

Maruz83 Guest
    Sorry but am not buying that this so-called "virgin" had a bunch of STD's. IF she did she must have sat on a lot of dirty toilets, because I didn't think you could get HPV from a dirty seat. The woman was sleeping around and tried to make herself look good...... NOPE !

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    Why would she lie? Just for the money?
    I'm thinking maybe to save her reputation..I don't know..*shrugs*

Even herpes from a toilet seat is rare. STD's don't have a long life once exposed to air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I'm thinking maybe to save her reputation..I don't know..*shrugs*
    I'm thinking that too. Maybe her family were under the impression that she was a "good girl". Either that and/or $$$ from a lawsuit. Makes you think about the other patients that came forward too, their motives. As I said before, the ONLY way the dentist could have infected them was wilfully and deliberately. It just seems so unlikely...I may be wrong though.

Sphr798 Guest
    I do seem to remember that some of the other patients who had contracted HIV/AIDS from this dentist were very unlikely to have contracted it anywhere else. I do remember that one of the patients was an elderly woman who had been married to her husband for around 50 years and by her and her husband's accounts, had never been unfaithful. The fact that the strain was exactly matched to the dentist was pretty compelling. In any case, it did bring better practices to the forefront and that is a good thing.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Even herpes from a toilet seat is rare. STD's don't have a long life once exposed to air.
    true but then again there are crabs. Some years back where I lived a local plant had a minor outbreak of those..15 women !! All had gotten those critters from a toilet seat thanks to a woman who was hired as a temp.

It was at a plant that makes those Kraft Lunchables.

Rosa Moline Guest
    The more I think about it, I honestly believe Dr Acer was purely a scapegoat. Things just DON'T add up.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I remember her Congressional hearing well. Highly publicized.
    So she was lying all along? WOW!

I remember hating her dentist but now her story was a lie?

Crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post
    Most people infected with HPV don't know they have it, yet it is one of the most common STD's

Not all people with HPV develop warts, and those that do don't necessarily know that is what they are - they can be very tiny

I would be willing to bet she didn't know she had HPV when she agreed to be examined and didn't realize that under examination they would find not only an STD but evidence of intercourse as well - which totally erased any credibility she had, IMO

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    true but then again there are crabs. Some years back where I lived a local plant had a minor outbreak of those..15 women !! All had gotten those critters from a toilet seat thanks to a woman who was hired as a temp.

It was at a plant that makes those Kraft Lunchables.
    Yummmmy!

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Whether or not she was a virgin, Kimberly wasn't the only patient to be infected by Dr. Acer.

http://www.people.com/people/archive...110486,00.html

jenna_VonDoom Guest
    Ew gross she was wide! What do they mean wide? Yuck!

Tracyb24 Guest
    I remember this story. I was about 19 and I was freaked big time! I still wasn't sure on all the ways of contracting. I thought well shit, no more dentists for me.

I do recall the old PEOPLE article about Kim Bergalis, and if she was hiding sexual activity (including, BTW, oral sex) it was at least in part due to her father. He was QUITE vocal about how his daughter didn't "deserve" to have that nasty disease, unlike BAD women (IIRC, he used a far more derogatory term. Look, I KNOW he was upset and angry, but ....)

As for the long-married woman, she later did confess to at least one affair. Sherry in the other article, only 18, already had relations with SIX boys (Thank heavens Mr. Bergalis wasn't HER dad, eh?) Wonder what ultimately happened to her.

Still, it doesn't explain about the common HIV strain with the wretched Dr. Acer. He must have nicked himself, or someone bit him without realizing it or meaning to. Were all these patients treated within a relatively short time frame, or over a long period?

There were already some cases of deliberate infections, but by those who had "unprotected" sex with unsuspecting partners. Except for this cluster, going out of one's way to infect people via dental treatments seems like a hit-or-miss method, without enjoying the payback of witnessing the misery one has caused.

There was some indications that all sorts of germs could become lodged in dental drills and so forth, which could not be easily sanitized. And having medical and dental personnel don gloves and masks should always have been done--- if nothing else, that was one decent thing to come out of that mess, trying to protect both parties in these situations.
    Last edited by Linnie; 12-27-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna_VonDoom View Post
    Ew gross she was wide! What do they mean wide? Yuck!

wide enough to drive a semi truck thru?
    I think the word "wide" was probably used to discredit her claim about being a virgin. whatever. it's the blame game here, folks.....and nobody wins when they're dead.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Tracyb24 Guest
    nobody wins when they're dead. Truer words have never been typed!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lout_Rampage View Post
    Whether or not she was a virgin, Kimberly wasn't the only patient to be infected by Dr. Acer.

http://www.people.com/people/archive...110486,00.html

A point that should have been made many post ago.....the first time I had sex I did not bleed, hence my one true love did not believe I was a virgin......I was very athletic, and rode a lot of horses ( take that anyway you want ) so I assumed I lost it that way.....they had to break my water when I had Sara because she could not crown, and guess what was hindering that....yep, my hymen.......it had never broke......TMI, too bad .....just trying to make a point....this girl died a horrible death, and she wasn`t the only one from Dr. Dentist......I could care less how wide her Vajayjay was....WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China.......

jenna_VonDoom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    A point that should have been made many post ago.....the first time I had sex I did not bleed, hence my one true love did not believe I was a virgin......I was very athletic, and rode a lot of horses ( take that anyway you want ) so I assumed I lost it that way.....they had to break my water when I had Sara because she could not crown, and guess what was hindering that....yep, my hymen.......it had never broke......TMI, too bad .....just trying to make a point....this girl died a horrible death, and she wasn`t the only one from Dr. Dentist......I could care less how wide her Vajayjay was....WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China.......
    Wow. Seriously wow. So did the doctor have to break it for you? Did that hurt?

JestersKiss Guest
    I was leaning one way untill i read Mollys post. Thanks for the post Molly, changed my thought pattern.

sweetie103 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I agree. I dont feel that her sexual experience or the other victims' sexual past is of any importance. She lied, we'll never know why but I think what is important is that they found the same strain linked back to the doctor and the other patients and we'll never know how it was contracted. I think its just a sad story all around.

Jaenne Guest
    I'm not justifying her lying, but back at this time many people reacted to a straight woman with AIDS as if she were the Whore of Babylon. Many closed-minded people didn't think it only took one sexual partner who was untruthful to infect someone. You had to have been really slutty and into dirty sex to get infected. I think she just wanted people to realize that prostitutes are not the only women who contract it. She should have been more honest. I'm sure her family didn't appreciate all of the info about her sex life going public after she died.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Wow this was all news to me never heard about her being sexually active... If she only had sex with two men and her vagina or cervix was considered wide I wonder what mine would be catagorized as? I've had a baby!

RIP Kimberly None of us are perfect and you did suffer a horrible death.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Here it is, Dr Richard Duff was the other doctor at the clinic.

He made the cover of Newsweek magazine.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/128178

Dr Duff was my mothers doctor. He had an affair while he and his wife were seperated and contacted aids from his new girlrfriend. His wife also died from aids .They went back together and he did not know he had contacted the disease. On my mothers last visit he told her why he was closing his office. She was very upset because she really like this doctor. He was a very good doctor and she too was tested for AIDS and of course she tested negative.
    I understand that they can tell where a person contacted AIDS by a test and it shows certain things about the strain of the AIDS.
    I fell bad for anyone who has HIV or full blown AIDS.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenna_VonDoom View Post
    Wow. Seriously wow. So did the doctor have to break it for you? Did that hurt?
    Yeah, it did, but only because her head was 14 inches around and it wasn`t going anywhere....LOL....they brought in this long plastic thingy and he had a hell of a time, and then he told me why.....and JK I truly wasn`t trying to change anyone`s mind, but some of the post reminded me of how a rape victim is treated....was she wearing short shorts.....was she wearing a halter with her boobs hanging out.....well then I guess she deserved it.....it`s just hyprocrisy that drives me crazy.....I don`t know how many sexual partners she had, but I`ve never read anywhere where they contracted AIDS......maybe I`m missing something, but that leaves Dr. Death for me......she could have had the whole Dallas Cowboy football team, it`s none of my busniess.....but if Dr. Death was the only one with the virus, the law of deduction says Dr. Death is the culprit

JestersKiss Guest
    When i said it changed my way of thinking, only because i was thinking she may not be telling the truth, but your post brought me back to a different way of looking at the story, thats all.
    There is just missing from this story, we may not ever get the whole truth here, since most have passed on.
    RIP

burgtwngrl Guest
    I went to beauty school back in '87 and '88. Sadly I've lost alot of friends to the disease. Two of my former instructors, My first Boss, Fellow classmates. Back then if you got diagnosed you only lasted months. I think it bothered me the most were afraid people were of them once they were diagnosed because we didn't know how it was spread at the time. I didn't care I held thier hands, sat next to them when others were scared to death to even come in the rooms.

Kimmell Guest
    You know, this case made headlines all over the world.
    If this dentist did not infect people with the HIV virus, then he has gained a horrible reputation, and his name will never be cleared.

20/20 did a follow up on the case last year, where some of the patients of Dr. Acer wrote friends letters before they passed explaining that Dr. Acer did not infect them, but when the found out they had AIDS, they saw on the news where a dentist was accused of infecting people, so they made appointments with Dr. Acer to blame him instead of being truthful to their friends and families how they contacted it.
    One woman said her friend begged her not to say anything, but she could not let this man be accused of something he never did, so she went to the FBI and explained to them what was told to her.

Also, one assistant of Dr. Acer told the authorities that a patient's father who had lots of money told her to tell the authorities that she saw Dr. Acer cut his finger, and do work on a patient.
    The assistant said that if that were the case, then the patient, herself, and others would be alerted.
    She was offered a lot of money, but declined and went to the authorities and told what was said to her.
    Many of the people coming forward were told the patient's families lawyers said it was heresay, and can't be proved.
    But, the two letters were proof enough.

What's interesting is that an attorney whose relative contacted Hepititus sued the dentists' estate, but failed in the lawsuit, because it was found out that the woman went on a cruise and told her personal business.
    (She made the mistake of telling a member of the cruise line personnel that she was waiting for her lab tests to see if she had Hepititus, because this was her second cruise, and since her first one, she has been sick.)

So, it looks like people were trying to make money from this dentist.
    Kimberly Bergalis' relatives refused to talk anymore about the case.
    Their attorney made the statement that a lot of miscommunication, and accusations were made on both sides when it was brought to attention.
    He said Kimberly was not mentally aware of what she was saying when she went to the media and giving her statement to Congress.

Sad for the victims who died of this awful disease, and for the ones who had nothing to do with it, but were threatened and basically blackmailed.
    They have to go through the rest of their lives with this being forever part of their lives.