Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They don't make stars like ? anymore.

Guest Guest

They don't make stars like ? anymore.

They don't make stars like Jayne Mansfield anymore. Who else?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Audrey Hepburn
    Stunning, classy, elegant, discret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audrey_hepburn.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	197  
    Last edited by Danse Macabre; 10-22-2007 at 08:30 PM.

TobbeJ Guest
    Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant. The coolest of all moviestars

monhol Guest
    they don't make stars at all. these famous people go on talk shows with jeans and sneakers on. they even go to award shows with the same attire, hair all messed up. f'ed up hair is the style now. no one really cares about their appearance at an important event. i was raised that when you go somewhere that has importance, you should look presentable. you only see them looking nice when they are at a party getting drunk or high.sad.

onehunglow Guest

You nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    they don't make stars at all. these famous people go on talk shows with jeans and sneakers on. they even go to award shows with the same attire, hair all messed up. f'ed up hair is the style now. no one really cares about their appearance at an important event. i was raised that when you go somewhere that has importance, you should look presentable. you only see them looking nice when they are at a party getting drunk or high.sad.
    Also a Star is someone who is around longer than a few years. Paul Newman is one of the last real ones.

TobbeJ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    Yes, Absolutely true. You can mention practically ANYONE from the golden days of Hollywood as the kind of star that isn't seen nowadays. I do however think we have some that could qualify as classy guys now (Like George Clooney or Jack Nicholson).

Morticia Guest
    There is no body in Hollywood that even comes close to Clark Gable and Carole Lombard....now that was a beautiful couple when they stepped out for a evening event.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Thelma Todd, Jean Harlow and of course Sharon Tate.

Shes Not There Guest
    I can't believe no one has said Marilyn yet...

Jaxxx Guest
    William Powell, Barbara Standwick, George Sanders

I agree with a previous poster - CLARK GABLE and CAROL LOMBARD.

Clark Gable was the epitome of class and style. Always dressed to the 9's....Carol was his equal....total class.

The "stars" today are total jokes. No class and always pushing some political bullshit!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Warren Beatty is a MOVIE STAR. The guy played cards with Monroe, partied with JFK and his love life is legendary- oh, and he made some excellent movies. I love that he's only made like twentysomething films in a 50 year career; the guy's all about quality over quantity.... Newman, Eastwood and maybe a couple of others are close, but IMO Beatty's the real deal.

kelbons Guest
    Me, too... Clark Gable!

Danny62 Guest
    Bela Lugosi
    Boris Karloff
    Vincent Price
    Basil Rathbone
    Peter Lorre
    Lon Chaney
    Lon Chaney Jr
    John Carradine

Nobody even remotely close in this day of Hollywood. All the damn horror movies of today are all blood and gore...no imagination whatsover!!!!!!!!

Check out the Black cat with Lugosi/Karloff! Lugosi is skinning Karloff alive...you can see the shadow of it happening, much more effective.

Morrissey Guest
    Joan Crawford, definitely.

Cemetry Gates Guest
    That's what I was gonna say! Her and Barbara Stanwyck.
    and Bette Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Joan Crawford, definitely.

Morrissey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemetry Gates View Post
    That's what I was gonna say! Her and Barbara Stanwyck.
    and Bette Davis!
    Ah, yes -- can't forget Stanwyck.

Loved her.

Nice name/signature, by the way.

Zeenie Guest
    Lucille Ball
    Maureen O'Hara
    Carole Lombard
    Sophia Loren

Katherine Hepburn...classy to the end...

thedabara Guest
    Lana Turner - I just love her movies! They are so emotional. That death scene in "Imitation Life" is to die for!

mommafreak Guest
    Hollywood Stars today with the feel of yesterday? Catherine Zeta Jones always looks classy and I don't think i've seen Michael Douglas in anything but a suit. Have you seen the way some of these people dress? What are they thinking? Obviously they are not. Julia Roberts is an awesome actrees, but her sense of style is lacking. Frumpy, potato sack dresses, how is that flattering? Kristen Dunst, another frumpy dresser, the classic style is a thing of the past.

Bring_Out_Yer_Dead Guest
    A few picks:
    Robert Taylor
    Ray Milland
    Cary Grant

Cheers all,
    Doug

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Cross View Post
    Audrey Hepburn
    Stunning, classy, elegant, discret.

this lady could make a statue drool!!!

MissLissa Guest
    [SIZE=3]Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.[/SIZE]

SlippyInvader Guest
    Steve McQueen
    John Wayne
    James Dean
    Marilyn Monroe.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shes Not There View Post
    I can't believe no one has said Marilyn yet...
    That goes without saying...

juleebella Guest
    Jimmy Stewart
    Gary Cooper
    Fred Astaire

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Alan Ladd! He wasn't tall, but his handsomeness made up for it. He died when he was only 50, and destroyed his good looks with booze and cigarettes. He was an old-timey Hollywood superstar in his day.

xenaswolf Guest
    When you think about it, the FANS today aren't like back in the day either. The stars didn't have stalkers and papparazzi chasing them all over. Fans today are rabid. I wonder if that is why the celebs of today dress down alot...hoping to avoid the papparazzi?

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Why thank ya!
    Yours is pretty awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Ah, yes -- can't forget Stanwyck.

Loved her.

Nice name/signature, by the way.

jlhist64 Guest
    "YUL BRENNAR" - "So let it be written, so let it be done!"- The 10 Commandments

"JOHN WAYNE" - "Fill your hands you son of a bitch!" - True Grit

"GRACE KELLY" - What a beautiful and classy woman

"JEAN SEBERG" - A beautiful woman, and a tragic figure

and about 100000000 more celebrities that they just dont make anymore....and I cant think of their names right now!!

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Bette Davis
    Greta Garbo
    John Barrymore
    Vincent Price
    Joan Bennet
    George Sanders

zombie_acid Guest
    Marilyn Monroe.
    River Phoenix.
    John Lennon.
    Janis Joplin.
    Bette Davis.
    Audrey Hepburn.
    James Dean.
    Gilda Radner.
    Sharon Tate.
    And of course John Belushi, and Chris Farley.

BabyDoll Guest
    Bette Davis all the way

Layla331 Guest
    know what i love about all the old stars,,,there was just as much scandal as there is now days..but it was all kept hush hush or else you'd lose your contract..unwed mothers went "on vacation" til they came back and "adopted" a child that looked like them ( i.e Clark Gable and Loretta Young now thats a great book by their kid who has her dads face ears etc)...i know im silly and niave but i love watching amc and tmc bc i think to myself i bet it was nice not knowing everytime one of them farted..and just to enjoy them as stars..ok im done rambling..

btw..loved Joan Crawford..Clark Gable..all those..we wont see any like them again

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSDeathhag View Post
    I agree with a previous poster - CLARK GABLE and CAROL LOMBARD.

Clark Gable was the epitome of class and style. Always dressed to the 9's....Carol was his equal....total class.

The "stars" today are total jokes. No class and always pushing some political bullshit!

How true.

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    I'd say Tallulah Bankhead and the stars of the golden age of Hollywood...todays actors and actresses are not stars they are celebrities/entertainers.

Lisamarie Guest
    I really feel its such a shame that we have lost that old hollywood glamour! I mean my grandma told me that there was a time when men would dip there hats to ladies as they passed..can you imagin?? Now days we have waste of space actors and actress its a shame ...a sex tape would have ruined someones career back then and now days it makes a career....Thay may have done some shady stuff but they kept it to themselves...Its a shame!!

Bidmor Guest
    Y'all have listed names that were either products of the old studio system, or their children with the exception of Zeta Jones and Nicholson. That system was responsible for the classic film star, on and off screen. Now that the last vestages of the old star creation and maintainance system are dead or dying or ill, we now see in today's "stars" basically the same conduct and lifestyles that the old studios kept under wraps. Nothing new under the sun.

Cary Grant.

Katherine Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie_acid View Post
    Marilyn Monroe.
    River Phoenix.
    John Lennon.
    Janis Joplin.
    Bette Davis.
    Audrey Hepburn.
    James Dean.
    Gilda Radner.
    Sharon Tate.
    And of course John Belushi, and Chris Farley.
    I respectably disagree with River Pheonix being on the list. What made him better than all the other drug addled stars that overdosed. He was a step up from the Corey's in my eye's.

Definitely Clark Gable & Joan Crawford. Clark was just the coolest, a man's man. Even though he wasn't all that handsome, he was still hot (if that makes sense). Joan was a bad ass because she played the star role to the hilt. She never looked like crap in public and she respected her fans. So many stars now blow their fans off and get a 'tude after they get some fame.

There's no stars like that anymore because the public's perception has changed. Hollywood used to be about positive escapism. Now it's about seeing who is the biggest train wreck and who makes you feel better about yourself in comparison. Plus, people can become famous for anything nowadays. It's a bit sickening. I'm so tired of idiots on youtube or reality shows becoming famous for being total dipwads.

Tebssis Guest

Beatty's politics

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    Warren Beatty is a MOVIE STAR. The guy played cards with Monroe, partied with JFK and his love life is legendary- oh, and he made some excellent movies. I love that he's only made like twentysomething films in a 50 year career; the guy's all about quality over quantity.... Newman, Eastwood and maybe a couple of others are close, but IMO Beatty's the real deal.
    I totally agree, one of my favorite all time movies is WB's "Bullworth". He got his personal views on politics across, but in a forum that entertains rather than preaching and pushing. Now that's class. I also think his co-star in that movie, Hallie Berry, is a classy star. She's always professional and plays the role to the hilt even in her "bad" movies.

Snoopy Guest
    Katharine Hepburn
    Lauren Bacall
    Humphrey Bogart
    James Dean
    Marilyn Monroe
    Bette Davis
    Jimmy Stewart

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    I totally agree, one of my favorite all time movies is WB's "Bullworth". He got his personal views on politics across, but in a forum that entertains rather than preaching and pushing. Now that's class. I also think his co-star in that movie, Hallie Berry, is a classy star. She's always professional and plays the role to the hilt even in her "bad" movies.

Yeah, I always hoped Beatty would run for office-- I figured he could be to proud Liberals (like myself) what Reagan was to the Conservatives... I guess it's a little late for him now, though.

Judy Garland. She could do it all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

malaki Guest
    I'm just gonna say all those glamorus stars of the '30s, the women were simply beautiful & so dang glamorus.....

derbingle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    Quality, yeah like ISHTAR

leevancleef Guest
    They dont make stars anymore, period. Sad but true

BeeCee Guest
    James Cagney