Thread: Victor Fleming - Director of The Wizard of Oz & Gone with the Wind

SistaSara Guest

Victor Fleming - Director of The Wizard of Oz & Gone with the Wind

Victor Fleming
    Born February 23, 1889(1889-02-23)
    Pasadena, California, U.S. Died January 6, 1949 (aged 59)
    Cottonwood, Arizona, U.S. Years active 1910-1949 Spouse(s) Lucile Rosson (1933-1949) Awards won Academy Awards
    Best Director
    1939 Gone with the Wind
    Victor Fleming (February 23, 1889 â?? January 6, 1949) (sometimes "Vic Fleming") was an Academy Award-winning American film director.

Overview

He was born in Pasadena, California, possibly of part Native American descent and showed a mechanical aptitude early on; while working as a car mechanic he met the director Allan Dwan, who took him on as a camera assistant. Given his aptitude, he developed an interest in airplanes, and for his movies got to know the men at Rogers Airport, Los Angeles, including Moye Stephens. Fleming soon rose to the rank of cinematographer, working with both Dwan and D. W. Griffith, and directed his first film in 1919.
    Many of Fleming's silent films were action movies, often starring Douglas Fairbanks, or Westerns, and with his robust attitude and love of outdoor sports he became known as a "man's director". But he also proved an effective director of women. Under his direction, Vivien Leigh won the Best Actress Oscar, Hattie McDaniel won for Best Supporting Actress, and Ingrid Bergman was nominated. (In fact, nine actors who appeared in films directed by Fleming were Oscar-nominated.)

MGM

In 1932 Fleming joined MGM and directed some of the studio's most prestigious films. Red Dust (1932), Bombshell (1933), and Reckless (1935) showcased Jean Harlow, while Treasure Island (1934) and Captains Courageous (1937) brought a touch of literary distinction to boy's-own adventure stories. His two most famous films came in 1939, when The Wizard of Oz was closely followed by Gone with the Wind. Their fame has outstripped that of their credited director. Both were essentially producer-led projects, and in each case Fleming replaced the original directors after filming had begun, although he alone received director credit on both (he replaced Richard Thorpe on The Wizard of Oz after George Cukor had briefly come in and altered some of the makeup. Cukor's alterations remained in the film, and, by coincidence, it was Cukor whom Fleming replaced on Gone With the Wind. ) Fleming's version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941), with Spencer Tracy, was generally rated below Rouben Mamoulian's 1931 version with Fredric March. Fleming's 1942 film version of John Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat, starring Spencer Tracy, John Garfield, Hedy Lamarr, and Frank Morgan, was considered quite excellent, though, and to this day remains the only film version of the book.
    Fleming's few remaining films were disappointing to some, and he died quite suddenly from a heart attack soon after completing Joan of Arc (1948) with Ingrid Bergman. Fleming's film version of the life of Joan remains the definitive one for many movie lovers, and despite mixed reviews, received seven Academy Award nominations, winning two Oscars. In recent years, it has been restored to its full-length of 145 minutes, causing a more positive re-evaluation of the film based on the complete version.

ALSO had an affair with Clara Bow during the filming of Hula.

leevancleef Guest
    He was a very close friend of Clark Gable....used to visit him and Carol Lombard in their Encino ranch.

Vamp Guest
    George Cuker (SP?) was the original director of Gone With the Wind. Gable had him fired because Cuker was a "woman's director" and spent more time with Vivien Leigh.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    George Cuker (SP?) was the original director of Gone With the Wind. Gable had him fired because Cuker was a "woman's director" and spent more time with Vivien Leigh.
    With Viv, with Olivia...yes, Cuckor was a woman's director and an homosexual...i guess it was not everybody's cup of tea back then in the 30s.... Vic Fleming was more of a "macho" kind of guy, like Gable, they drunk, went hunting,....all that kind of stuff.

I find it sad becase GWTW is a movie about a woman after all!
    And I am huge Gable fan!

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    With Viv, with Olivia...yes, Cuckor was a woman's director and an homosexual...i guess it was not everybody's cup of tea back then in the 30s.... Vic Fleming was more of a "macho" kind of guy, like Gable, they drunk, went hunting,....all that kind of stuff.
    Exactly. Real men didn't like homosexuals back then.

Cuckor made so many great movies. My favorite is the Women. Katherine Hepburn said he was her favorite director.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I heard that the Reason Gable didn't want Cukor to direct GWTW was because Cukor knew that Gable had sex for money with men early in his career to survive. Anyone heard this story too?

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I heard that the Reason Gable didn't want Cukor to direct GWTW was because Cukor knew that Gable had sex for money with men early in his career to survive. Anyone heard this story too?

I'm pretty sure that's an Angerism (a myth out of one of Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon books). I think that's where I read it.

What's probably closer to the truth, and touched on in numerous old star biographies with peripheral mentions of Gable and Cukor is that they both had tremendous egos and would not bend to each other's will. In the end, Gable won.

I have always liked George Cukor as a director.
    One of my favorite movies is Dinner at Eight
    with the long forgotten (some may say) but
    Canadian born Marie Dressler.

Fancynancy Guest

Vivien made him so mad one day ( Fleming) that he told her to shove her script up her royal British ass. She was arguing about something in regard to Scarlett and kept a copy of GWTW sort of as a talisman and Fleming blew a gasket. He wouldn't go back to work until Vivien and some others, Gable included, I think went to his house to implore himn to come back and finish the picture with some lovebirds in tow.

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's an Angerism (a myth out of one of Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon books). I think that's where I read it.

What's probably closer to the truth, and touched on in numerous old star biographies with peripheral mentions of Gable and Cukor is that they both had tremendous egos and would not bend to each other's will. In the end, Gable won.
    I remember reading (not in HB2), that Cukor knew that actor William "Billy" Haines had performed oral sex on Gable when Clark was just starting out.

Reading the book: Victor Fleming- An American Master.
    Some interesting behind the scene stories about the films:
    Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.

Guest Guest
    Great director. Even if he had directed only those 2 films, he would still have gone down in the annals of movie history as a legend.

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Reading the book: Victor Fleming- An American Master.
    Some interesting behind the scene stories about the films:
    Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.

I bet that's interesting--let me know how it is. Are there a lot of Vivien Leigh mentions?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I bet that's interesting--let me know how it is. Are there a lot of Vivien Leigh mentions?
    Yes because Vivien Leigh was upset that George Cukor was let go from
    Gone with the Wind as the director job by David Selznick the producer,
    and Victor Fleming was put in his place.
    So Vivien Leigh took it all out on the "new" director Victor Fleming.
    (they did not get along)

hotmama Guest
    alot of those golden age era actors were gay on the sneak tip. they probably did do things like the casting couch. shit they do it now. hollywood was just as perverse then as it is now. now it is more or a little more out in the open and expected. back then religion played a big factor in alot of things. hell religion played a big factor in why it took so long to put the birth control pill on the market.. ain't that a blip...

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Yes because Vivien Leigh was upset that George Cukor was let go from
    Gone with the Wind as the director job by David Selznick the producer,
    and Victor Fleming was put in his place.
    So Vivien Leigh took it all out on the "new" director Victor Fleming.
    (they did not get along)

No, they didn't! I'm going to order that book!