Thread: Doris Duke

Shano Guest

Doris Duke

I have watched it a few times and wondered if anyone else had.... and what they thought.

I think that whoever did this movie had it mixed up. Doris was much more impressionable when it came to Barnard. HE USED HER.... and then inherited all of her money. At least not for long though. I have always had a fascination with her and her life... maybe it has something to do with Falcon's Liar....below is the info and times that it will play on HBO.... catch it if you can.

"In 1987, a middle-aged Irish butler fresh out of rehab arrived on the doorstep of tobacco heiress Doris Duke. Bernard Lafferty faced an uphill battle convincing his notoriously demanding boss to keep him on staff. A mere six years later, he was inheriting her fortune. Oscar(R)-winner Susan Sarandon (Dead Man Walking) and Oscar(R)-nominee Ralph Fiennes (The English Patient) deliver riveting performances in this intimate HBO Films drama that tells the hypothetical story of these two disparate characters who went on to form the unlikeliness of friendships. Directed by Bob Balaban; written by Hugh Costello. (TV14) (AC,AL,BN)"

Monday 3/31
    9:30am HBO East
    12:30pm HBO West
    6:15pm HBO East
    9:15pm HBO West

MorbidMolly Guest
    Haven`t seen it, but thanks for the listings........will definately try and catch it.........

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Doesn't he work for Liz Taylor now?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    How about her "adopted" daughter, Chandi whateverhername is. Wonder what ever happened to her.

Mrs. Watson Guest

Doris, Imelda Marcos, and Chandi, a former Hare Krishna whom Doris adopted. They had a falling out and Doris changed her will, stating she did not want Chandi to inherit anything. Chandi sued the estate trustees, who settled for 65 million.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Okay, this is beyond bizzarre. Chandi married Pee Wee Hermen in 1991. I can't confirm they are still married or not.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Okay, this is beyond bizzarre. Chandi married Pee Wee Hermen in 1991. I can't confirm they are still married or not.

HUHHHHHHH............

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Some sites say married, others refer to her as his companion (beard)?

Bernard Lafferty died, a while back. He was either friendly with or worked for Liz, I did find that. Reports on that vary, as well.

Doris Duke is fascinating. She paid off Portofino Rubirosa's then wife a million bucks to marry him. He must have had a hell of a technique!

Layla331 Guest
    according to the movie he worked for liz and she attended his funeral..the movie was good but i have to admit it contradicted everything ive seen or read about how manipulating he was...it made it seem like they were just great friends and his only interest was caring for her and her well being..when everything else said he got in so deep she only relied on him and he took over..and got her money..dunno i tend to believe that tho

Layla331 Guest
    p.s Mrs Watson..you have a great smile

Shano Guest
    OMG! I had forgotten about Chandi! They didn't even mention her in the movie.... probably because she was a loon.

The movie said that he worked for Liz yes, but from other accounts I have read he just knew her... and hell what funeral didn't Liz attend... or at least send a huge flower arrangement too... he he he... Pee Wee ewww.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Doesn't he work for Liz Taylor now?

NOPE, he be DEAD DEAD DEAD these days !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Thank you, Layla!

Kelt, I think you and I have read a lot of the same books! I always love your posts.

bunny Guest

Doris Duke

Not sure where where this thread would fit in...star? Anyways this woman sure had it bad all that money and no happyness...
    or the Woolworth girl...damn cant remember her name...

That Sarandon movie - though it was a lot of fun - COMPLETE FICTION. Rubbish, to people who want to learn the truth. But worth a laugh.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    That Sarandon movie - though it was a lot of fun - COMPLETE FICTION. Rubbish, to people who want to learn the truth. But worth a laugh.

I really wish the film industry would not do this. You would think that
    someone like Susan Sarandon and the causes she advocates for, would want
    to represent the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Not sure where where this thread would fit in...star? Anyways this woman sure had it bad all that money and no happyness...
    or the Woolworth girl...damn cant remember her name...
    You're thinking of Barbara Hutton. I get her and Duke mixed up because their lives were pretty similar. Lonely childhoods, loads of dough, multiple husbands, etc. I saw a bio on Duke years ago and some of her staff said that Bernard was a manipulative bastard who treated her like crap in her declining years. Some of the even implied that he killed her. If memory serves, he only lived a few years after Doris died, so if he did off her for the money, he sure didn't have loads of time to truly enjoy it.

As for Chandi, I think that broad was a total loon who took full advantage of Doris being a bit off her rocker as well. I remember something about Doris thinking Chandi was the reincarnate of her only child, Arden, who only lived for a day which is why she "adopted" a grown ass woman.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Doris Duke was fascinating. I live very close to her NJ estate, I actually drive through it just about every day. The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is auctioning off a lot of her personal property in a few months.

http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/index...country-manor-

Shano Guest
    Would love to go to that auction! I bet there will be some amazing things. Although I have to say I am shocked there is anything left.

Duke Farms is beautiful!

stay_zee Guest
    I watched it last night. I had read that Doris had many lovers. I did not know the details of her relationship with her butler.

I thought Sarandon and Fienes did a good portraying them in the movie.

I'd never even heard of this woman till I saw this in the paper...I knew there'd be a thread around here about her lol

this story is carazy!

Twins Georgia and Walker "Patterson" Inman III, now 15, are set to inherit $1 billion when they are 21. But in the meantime, the two, who are the only surviving heirs of Doris Duke, have been to hell and back, according to an interview in the latest edition of Rolling Stone magazine, "Poorest Rich Kids in the World.''
    The teens described a life of plenty in their 10,000-square-foot Wyoming mountain retreat and a South Carolina plantation -- a pet lion cub, diamonds for show-and-tell and snorkeling in Fiji.
    But juxtaposed against that was a slavelike childhood, being locked in a basement filled with feces and scalded by boiling baths.
    Their father, Duke's nephew Walker Patterson Inman Jr., was a heroin addict who got custody of the children when he divorced their mother when they were 2. Racking up five wives, he lived on an estimated $90,000 monthly inheritance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/billion...ry?id=19853671

radiojane Guest
    Not surprising when there's a lot of money and relatively little fame. The world isn't watching, and the few people that are don't want to lose their gravy train.

Hope these kids get help.

How freaking sad. What kind of judge gives a heroin addict custody of 2 year old twins?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    How freaking sad. What kind of judge gives a heroin addict custody of 2 year old twins?
    a rich one with some power and a name to throw around I guess...

Link to the article in Rolling Stone about the twins. I feel bad for those kids.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...world-20130812

Doris Duke was once married to Cary Grant
    why?
    We are not sure.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Doris Duke was once married to Cary Grant
    why?
    We are not sure.
    That was Barbara Hutton the Woolworth heiress, who was once married to Cary Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin76 View Post
    That was Barbara Hutton the Woolworth heiress, who was once married to Cary Grant.
    Yep. And the media had a field day with it calling them "Cash & Cary", lol.

It seems Cary was the only husband who truly loved her, but her childhood was so f'd up the marriage couldn't last, he was the only ex who wouldn't take any money when they divorced.

Any relation to the Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl?
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Any relation to the Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl?
    No, he's related to Earl of My Name is Earl. C'mon now, you know that!

Katrinawitch Guest
    Doris had a large estate in Hillsborough, Somerset Country, NJ. You couldn't tour the house or the grounds, but the greenhouses were open for tours, and were spectacular! They were huge glass conservatory greenhouses, and were conected in a large square. Each garden had a different theme (Italian, French, American Colonial, Japanese, succulent, desert, etc.), and you could walk through them all. We used to tour them in the winter months back in the day, and it was like an oasis from the cold and dull winter weather. Unfortunately, they were closed and the gardens dismantled in 2008, because the greenhouses were very expensive to maintain, and would have had to be modernized (although I think the buildings are still standing).

Doris always seemed so sad and alone. I guess when you're that wealthy, you have to wonder why people want to get close to you.

Didn't her house in LA, Falcon Lair, overlook the Sharon Tate house?

weirdgurl Guest
    I just got the book by Stephanie Mansfield on Doris Duke at the library. Has anybody read it?