Thread: Elliott Smith

Elliott Smith

Hey guys, does anyone else think there should be a FAD page on Elliott Smith? l think his girlfriend killed him -- no one spells their name wrong in their suicide note!

Lurkster Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    Hey guys, does anyone else think there should be a FAD page on Elliott Smith? l think his girlfriend killed him -- no one spells their name wrong in their suicide note!

Good point!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Yeah, I'm with you!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:52 AM.

star82 Guest
    I agree with you. I think his girlfriend had something to do with his demise. According the the smoking gun autopsy notes, Elliott wouldn't have been able to stab himself at the angle he did. After Elliott's death, his girlfriend split town & avoided the cops.

yeah, always seemed so suspicious to me! i was so completely upset when he died. it seemed to come out of nowhere. yes, he wrote incredibly depressing music. yes, the guy had serious mental health issues. but from what everyone around him said, he had his life back on track, he was clean and happy. he was also recording new music.

sounds an awful lot like cobain/love to me.

Cat lady in training Guest
    Or commits suicide by stabbing themselves in the chest (wasn't in multiple times at that?!) with NO drugs in their system...

Elliott Smith's death was so odd and disturbing I hope that there will be some more in depth investigation into it. Labeling it a suicide and just closing the file... just is not right at all. I'd like to see a documentary about the investigation kinda like the Kurt and Courtney one.

star82 Guest

it'll probably go the way of the KC case, everyone just considered them druggie, depressive musicians with suicidal pasts, therefore that's the only explanation for their deaths. even though both cases have a lot of very eerie unanswered questions. i just think it's so fucking sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

This was taken from Elliott's Wikipedia entry...

"According to the coroner's report, a possible suicide note, written on a Post-it, read, I'm so sorry—love, Elliot. God forgive me. The misspelling of "Elliott" was later acknowledged as a mistake on the part of the coroner."

So I guess that means it wasn't misspelled and the coroner just relayed the information wrong. I would think his girlfriend would know how to spell his name, especially since he wasn't a nobody and she was his girlfriend. Now if we find out that Courtney Love and Jennifer Chiba are best friends, then I think a further investigation is in order
    Last edited by Jason; 10-10-2007 at 12:34 PM.

GODDESS6 Guest
    Elliott Smith was born 1 year & a day after i was born in my hometown of omaha, he was born in the same hospital i had my son in~ there is virtually nothing in this town about him & that makes me sad, i heard about him on the net~ i think he was murdered also, things just don't add up~

Another tragic death. I don't think he was killed, Elliott was just too sensitive for this world. His lyrics are proof of that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Morrissey Guest
    He was an amazing musician.

Rose Parade, Pictures of Me, and Angeles will forever be my favourites.

Personally, I think he did himself in -- he was -obviously- miserable, just like another suicide victim, Ian Curtis.

fell in love with 'waltz #2' at first listen
    '2:45am' is my scond favourite.

*racheal* Guest
    I really got interested with Elliot after seeing the royal tenenbaums. The song Neddle in the Hay was the song that was being played when Luck is trying to kill himself and shaving all his hair off. after that movie I loved the song and started looking in the Elliott. i think that if he did kill himself what a way to do it. to stab yourself twice in the heart is pretty bad. I think that there is more to it. Girlfriend(wink,wink)

cherryghost Guest
    I did adore him I got into him through Wilco and other independent artists and songwriters who go against the banal pap record companies pump out and expect us to digest these days! He wasnt a product he was an artist and Im not interested nor ever have been in any other type of music but creative indie since I was 16! I dont like manufactured music with input from producers or mangement, I find it banal and formulaic.

Sadly certain solo artists and all those other blands,I mean bands around who dont have the ideas or experience of creating through life and experience. I hear them but dont really hear them or recoil at their affectations,if you know what I mean. All artists appropriate but to just copy is dull and silly.

Those who create are artists.Artists are not controlled!

Those who are produced and controlled are products.

The proof is in the music.

onekindsistah Guest
    I got into him after a friend turned me onto the Good Will Hunting Soundtrack - almost half the music on there is his and it's a fantastic album altogether.

lisalouver Guest
    Interesting case and interesting investigators report and ME report.

Anyone know what his manner of death is listed on his DC?

Undetermined?

ceege Guest
    According to the autopsy report the cause of death is "stab wounds of the chest", both wounds considered fatal with the second one perforating the heart.

The mode of death is undetermined ie homicide or suicide.

JestersKiss Guest
    Elliott Smith
    1969-2003
    by Wayne Lewis
    There's not much new to say about another rock 'n' roll death. Each one has a familiar taste — some precedent and frame of reference within the existing pantheon. The passing of Elliott Smith set off a rending of sackcloth that mirrors, on a smaller scale, the shock, grief and anger that accompanied Kurt Cobain's suicide about 10 years earlier. Around the time Smith first signed to a major label, when he was on the cusp between underground ubiquity and the push to find a wider audience, that was one of the lines on him — a quieter Cobain, whispering instead of screaming, but with the same inborn pain and Pacific Northwest indie/punk pedigree.
    Smith chafed at the tortured artist mantle. He tried to debunk this sad-boy persona by speaking dismissively to the press of his troubled times; he insisted that confessional music (a description easily applied to his melancholy folk-gone-pop) need not be autobiographical. As heartrending as Smith's songs could be, he refused to stand up and claim, "This is my pain." Now, his apparent suicide and the bizarre circumstances surrounding it belie the denials.

For fans who knew Smith only through his music, groping for this tragedy's meaning and intent involves, at best, a great deal of speculation, rumor and conflating the author with his text. Which is to say, such efforts may be useful to you personally, but they don't necessarily bear a relation to reality.
    What's left is the music. We're hard-wired with the sense-making instinct to sift through Smith's work — three albums and one EP as a member of the rock band Heatmiser, five full-lengths available and one forthcoming as a solo artist, a wealth of bootlegs and a smattering of singles between these incarnations — in search of "clues" about his demise. We can construct a narrative that turns the shocking into the inevitable, but we should instead search for Smith's embedded messages about living life.
    While Smith's subject matter was unquestionably grim, his real message comes through in the musical choices he made. Over the course of Smith's solo career, his recordings evolved from rainy-day folk — hushed and homemade but with palpable lyrical bite — to studio-borne widescreen pop elegance, with production cribbing liberally from his heroes the Beatles, particularly George Harrison. On this trail from home recording to Abbey Road, where Smith recorded Figure 8, the touchstone was a care and precision of arrangement that bled maximum beauty from every breath, every beat, every strum. Smith was making it his mission to take the ugly things of life — abandonment, abuse and addiction, heartbreak and hopelessness — and turn them into something beautiful.
    Which is to say little of the songs themselves, pretty puzzles that led some of Smith's musical peers to describe him as the greatest songwriter of his generation. A large swath of his work features characters asking the question, "How could you do this to me?" What saves the results from the whininess or self-pity so often attendant to such a question is, as Michael Azerrad put it in Trouser Press, a sense of "uniquely resigned defiance." Smith would vividly portray the mindset of someone who feels absolutely condescended to, betrayed and beaten down, but who still rebounds to say, "been pushed away and I'll never go back." These are songs about survivors — about accepting that life brings pain, but that even sitting at the nadir, one can keep going.
    More often, the question Smith's songs posed was, "How could you do this to yourself?" — or "How could I do this to myself?" Taking his songs as cautionary tales sells them short. They have less to do with avoiding the wrong path than figuring out what to do when you end up there. Telling someone, "nobody broke your heart/ you broke your own 'cause you can't finish what you start," carries the implicit demand to cast aside victimhood and take responsibility for the consequences of your actions.
    These sentiments come bathed in a teeth-grit disappointment, again tinged with a kind of defiance. The people his songs picked apart have ultimately committed the crime of squandering potential. Smith doesn't say you're crawling on your belly; he calls you a "future butterfly." Without saying it plainly, each song is a little call to arms, asking the lost souls of the world to pick themselves up and make themselves better. We all feel like lost souls sometimes, and to hold out, even in the most desolate moments, some hope for redemption is on the one hand hard to bear, but on the other the deepest kindness.
    Songs about death are also songs about life. The bleakest depiction of the human ability to sink into degradation also carries its inverse image, the chance to take broken pieces and make a functioning whole. After the mourning, Smith's music remains — with it is the opportunity for us to do as he said, not as he did.

i definitely think there should be a fad page on him. i love his music.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

wow, jesterskiss. thanks for that article!

l could listen to Elliott forever and not get tired of him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aliceinnirvana Guest
    Elliott Smith was amazing. He is definatly my favorite solo musician. My brother hates him so i always put his music on when his video games are to loud

He was a really amazing songwriter. I normally dont like just reading lyrics but his are special.

Bring on the Elliott Smith page!!!!!!

Guest Guest
    Talented guy, but being a manic depressive I didn't caqe much for his music!
    I also believe his girlfriend played a major part in his death! Guess we will never know for certain!

LemonPopsicle Guest
    I saw him when he was touring with Mary Lou Lord. I love his voice. I've been listening to "Whatever" a lot lately.

DionysianSpirit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersKiss View Post
    Elliott Smith
    1969-2003
    by Wayne Lewis
    There's not much new to say about another rock 'n' roll death. Each one has a familiar taste — some precedent and frame of reference within the existing pantheon. The passing of Elliott Smith set off a rending of sackcloth that mirrors, on a smaller scale, the shock, grief and anger that accompanied Kurt Cobain's suicide about 10 years earlier. Around the time Smith first signed to a major label, when he was on the cusp between underground ubiquity and the push to find a wider audience, that was one of the lines on him — a quieter Cobain, whispering instead of screaming, but with the same inborn pain and Pacific Northwest indie/punk pedigree.
    Smith chafed at the tortured artist mantle. He tried to debunk this sad-boy persona by speaking dismissively to the press of his troubled times; he insisted that confessional music (a description easily applied to his melancholy folk-gone-pop) need not be autobiographical. As heartrending as Smith's songs could be, he refused to stand up and claim, "This is my pain." Now, his apparent suicide and the bizarre circumstances surrounding it belie the denials.

For fans who knew Smith only through his music, groping for this tragedy's meaning and intent involves, at best, a great deal of speculation, rumor and conflating the author with his text. Which is to say, such efforts may be useful to you personally, but they don't necessarily bear a relation to reality.
    What's left is the music. We're hard-wired with the sense-making instinct to sift through Smith's work — three albums and one EP as a member of the rock band Heatmiser, five full-lengths available and one forthcoming as a solo artist, a wealth of bootlegs and a smattering of singles between these incarnations — in search of "clues" about his demise. We can construct a narrative that turns the shocking into the inevitable, but we should instead search for Smith's embedded messages about living life.
    While Smith's subject matter was unquestionably grim, his real message comes through in the musical choices he made. Over the course of Smith's solo career, his recordings evolved from rainy-day folk — hushed and homemade but with palpable lyrical bite — to studio-borne widescreen pop elegance, with production cribbing liberally from his heroes the Beatles, particularly George Harrison. On this trail from home recording to Abbey Road, where Smith recorded Figure 8, the touchstone was a care and precision of arrangement that bled maximum beauty from every breath, every beat, every strum. Smith was making it his mission to take the ugly things of life — abandonment, abuse and addiction, heartbreak and hopelessness — and turn them into something beautiful.
    Which is to say little of the songs themselves, pretty puzzles that led some of Smith's musical peers to describe him as the greatest songwriter of his generation. A large swath of his work features characters asking the question, "How could you do this to me?" What saves the results from the whininess or self-pity so often attendant to such a question is, as Michael Azerrad put it in Trouser Press, a sense of "uniquely resigned defiance." Smith would vividly portray the mindset of someone who feels absolutely condescended to, betrayed and beaten down, but who still rebounds to say, "been pushed away and I'll never go back." These are songs about survivors — about accepting that life brings pain, but that even sitting at the nadir, one can keep going.
    More often, the question Smith's songs posed was, "How could you do this to yourself?" — or "How could I do this to myself?" Taking his songs as cautionary tales sells them short. They have less to do with avoiding the wrong path than figuring out what to do when you end up there. Telling someone, "nobody broke your heart/ you broke your own 'cause you can't finish what you start," carries the implicit demand to cast aside victimhood and take responsibility for the consequences of your actions.
    These sentiments come bathed in a teeth-grit disappointment, again tinged with a kind of defiance. The people his songs picked apart have ultimately committed the crime of squandering potential. Smith doesn't say you're crawling on your belly; he calls you a "future butterfly." Without saying it plainly, each song is a little call to arms, asking the lost souls of the world to pick themselves up and make themselves better. We all feel like lost souls sometimes, and to hold out, even in the most desolate moments, some hope for redemption is on the one hand hard to bear, but on the other the deepest kindness.
    Songs about death are also songs about life. The bleakest depiction of the human ability to sink into degradation also carries its inverse image, the chance to take broken pieces and make a functioning whole. After the mourning, Smith's music remains — with it is the opportunity for us to do as he said, not as he did.

Good little article. This was a new one for me, I've read a shitload of Elliott articles as well, but it basically hammered home the most important thing about him

I believe most people don't actually listen to what he was singing about and writing. He was a realist who wore his heart on his sleeve. He knew things most people don't and contemplated things most people fear. Life is a game to most people. A game of life where we have kids, buy a house, grow old and then peacefully drift off in retirement. That was not the case for Elliott or for the bulk of his loyal fans.

Life is a mix of highs and lows, and sometimes the hardest part of life is carrying on. Sometimes the pain is too strong to bear, and sometimes being sober and reflecting on everything is the only way to realise it.

As for his death, I believe it was a suicide. People use alcohol, drugs etc to hide and carry on. He realised the drugs and alcohol were not really working anymore and took his life when he realised how frustrating and impossible everything had become.

Probably one of the saddest days of my life was October 21, 2003.
    RIP

"The medical examiner noted that Chiba's "reported removal of the knife and subsequent refusal to speak with detectives areall of concern."

Ok, question. If you are a person of interest in a crime that has been committed (examples: parents of Jon Benet Ramsey, husband of Susan Powell, parents of Casey Anthony, etc.) And the cops ask you to come in and make a statement/answer some questions, you can just tell them no?

I had no idea you could just refuse to cooperate with a criminal investigation.
    But I guess if they don't have enough to charge you, you can get away scott free, unless they find some evidence.

DionysianSpirit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    "The medical examiner noted that Chiba's "reported removal of the knife and subsequent refusal to speak with detectives areall of concern."

Ok, question. If you are a person of interest in a crime that has been committed (examples: parents of Jon Benet Ramsey, husband of Susan Powell, parents of Casey Anthony, etc.) And the cops ask you to come in and make a statement/answer some questions, you can just tell them no?

I had no idea you could just refuse to cooperate with a criminal investigation.
    But I guess if they don't have enough to charge you, you can get away scott free, unless they find some evidence.
    If someone you loved was on the ground struggling to breathe and had a knife protruding from their chest would you remove it and attempt CPR and their resuscitation?

Quote Originally Posted by DionysianSpirit View Post
    If someone you loved was on the ground struggling to breathe and had a knife protruding from their chest would you remove it and attempt CPR and their resuscitation?
    you're not supposed to remove the object in the case of stabbing or puncture wound

"Leave the stabbing object in the wound if it's still there. Pulling it out will increase blood loss, and pushing it in may cause further injury. You'll just need to dress the wound around the knife the best that you can."
    http://www.wikihow.com/Attend-to-a-Stab-Wound

I think it would be highly strange to not help police in any way I could if my loved one had just stabbed himself.

One of their rights is the right to remain silent and that's even after they are arrested. They don't have to say anything if they aren't either. But I agree, if someone I loved had died and I had nothing to do with it I would cooperate fully. I also knew that you should not remove the knife, though I could understand that being someone's gut reaction to seeing someone they loved with something stabbed into them. You just have to remember not to!

DionysianSpirit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    One of their rights is the right to remain silent and that's even after they are arrested. They don't have to say anything if they aren't either. But I agree, if someone I loved had died and I had nothing to do with it I would cooperate fully. I also knew that you should not remove the knife, though I could understand that being someone's gut reaction to seeing someone they loved with something stabbed into them. You just have to remember not to!

I am sure they were having some serious relationship problems, had a huge fight, she locked herself in the bathroom, he was probably threatening to kill himself for the hundredth time and she snapped said "just fucking do it asshole"..he probably did..she probably has a huge mess of mental anguish just from dealing with the relationship let alone the dramatic and pretty gruesome suicide of her boyfriend that would bring about a mass of impending guilt.

I think he killed himself and she got really messed up from it, but who wouldn't? This was a very talented individual with the ability to be dark but still have normal human emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by DionysianSpirit View Post
    I am sure they were having some serious relationship problems, had a huge fight, she locked herself in the bathroom, he was probably threatening to kill himself for the hundredth time and she snapped said "just fucking do it asshole"..he probably did..she probably has a huge mess of mental anguish just from dealing with the relationship let alone the dramatic and pretty gruesome suicide of her boyfriend that would bring about a mass of impending guilt.

I think he killed himself and she got really messed up from it, but who wouldn't? This was a very talented individual with the ability to be dark but still have normal human emotions.
    The other possibility that's come to my mind is basically the same scenario as above, with his threatening to kill himself finally pushing her over the edge. "You want to die that bad, asshole? Here, let me help you!" Not saying it did happen that way, not at all, but it's one possibility, and if she did have any direct involvement in his death, I'm inclined to think it was due to snapping over having her last nerve worked, and not anything intentional.

Something that nobody wants to think about in this context is that people w/mental health issues can sometimes be incredibly manipulative and can push others to the point of wishing they'd just get it over with; I say that as someone who's dealt w/depression firsthand (although I'd like to think I wasn't that bad...), and has had to deal w/other people who did yank everyone else around w/their great psychodrama, to the point where you do wish they'd either do it or not, you don't care, just please leave you alone...sometimes I wonder if some people do that w/the secret hope that maybe one of the people around them will take matters into their own hands and kill them, so they won't have to do the dirty work themselves. (Passive-aggressiveness really stinks, OK? So please don't do it to anyone you care for at all...)

ShellBell Guest
    I have become a fan of Elliot's music in the past few years since his death. I really like "Can't Make a Sound" on the Figure 8 album.

His loss is so tragic.

DionysianSpirit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellBell View Post
    I have become a fan of Elliot's music in the past few years since his death. I really like "Can't Make a Sound" on the Figure 8 album.

His loss is so tragic.
    On Dec 30, 1999, Elliott performed most of Figure 8 live on acoustic solo before it was released. The live show was at Maxwells in NJ. It is worth finding for any fan who wants to hear how these songs were originally written. You can find a shitload of Elliott live shows at archive.org

Amity1 Guest
    Is anyone else here a Jeff Buckley fan as well? If so, you might enjoy this rare picture of Elliott and Jeff together in 96'

http://www.loobiecore.com/buckleyandsmith.jpg

"I met him one time - long enough to ask him if he was okay." -Elliott Smith on Jeff Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Amity1 View Post
    Is anyone else here a Jeff Buckley fan as well? If so, you might enjoy this rare picture of Elliott and Jeff together in 96'

http://www.loobiecore.com/buckleyandsmith.jpg

"I met him one time - long enough to ask him if he was okay." -Elliott Smith on Jeff Buckley
    Wow!!! Thank you for that find!!! I love Elliott's music so much.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Amity1 Guest
    @girl incognito ~ Not a problem! I love Elliott & Jeff! Two of my favorite artists, gone far too soon!

I have always believed J. Chiba (his girlfriend) killed him. Been a fan of his for years (since 2004)

He was one of the greats. Taken way too soon.

I'm pretty well known over at the Sweetaddy forums.....I think I see someone on here that use to post on there. Until I had to unfairly ban them because of protest from other members. (I'm the mod over there....crappy job)
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 07-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

happy birthday, Elliott
    xo

"In honor of Elliott's 43rd birthday, I wanted to take a quick look back at five of his all-time most essential songs. Everyone has their own personal favorites (definitely share yours in our comments section below or on our Indie Rock and MusicOlogy group all week long), but these are a few of the songs that really defined and shaped Elliott's sound, his career and his legacy. Take a listen."
    http://www.ology.com/post/194193/cel...ssential-songs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

41. 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
    Reason
    repeat post

ellenatzzz Guest
    Knowing Elliot and his struggle with addiction and depression, I can definitely see himself killing himself. As for his girlfriend Jennifer Chiba though, I find her very shady. She was in a heated argument with him locked herself in the bathroom and found him yet to his friends she said "I don't understand he was so healthy". Clearly he's not that mentally well if you have to lock yourself in the bathroom and she knew his struggles. She went on to have a thing with the dude from Weezer.
    Last edited by ellenatzzz; 08-06-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Amity1 Guest
    I think she did it. Didn't they find blood throughout the house, no finger prints on the knife (btw Jennifer was a huge fan of knives) and a delay in 911 being called? Also, http://gloriousnoise.com/2007/elliot...rlfriend_cut_o. Shady!

houndhell75 Guest
    Being in the EMS field, I can tell you that one does NOT remove an object that has caused the wound as it can do more damage and actually increase bleeding to the wound. This is especially true in one case a buddy of mine worked, where a man had his head smashed with an axe, and the axe blade was stuck in his head. Had it been removed at the scene or at the ER right away then the man would have died. He ended up living, because the object was surgically removed instead.

“Chiba (his girlfriend) lied in many of her claims to try to get more than one million dollars from Elliott's estate after he died.
    On July 30, 2004, Chiba sued Marta Greenwald, Elliott’s stepmother, for breach of oral contract, quantum merit, declaratory relief and constructive trust . She lost the suit because of her lack of a talent agent license something that was required to perform certain duties controlled by the Talent Agencies Act.

She claimed Elliott had promised to provide her ‘financial needs and support for the rest of her life’ in exchange for her domestic services as his ‘homemaker, housekeeper, cook, secretary, bookkeeper and financial counselor, ‘forgo[ing] any independent career opportunities’. She also said she had agreed to be his ‘manager and agent for the purposes of arranging [his] booking and scheduling [his] appearances for musical performances’ and to carry out ‘the preparation and production of [his] album’ in exchange for ‘15% of the proceeds earned and received’”.

http://www.rocknycliveandrecorded.co...-part-two.html

according to mary lou lord, elliott had a dream of working with Kurt Cobain. she would know, right? LOL
    THAT would have been a recording!
    I think the girlfriend had mucho to do with it.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Quite a few musicians (Felix Pappalardi of Mountain, trumpeter Lee Morgan, others I'm sure) have died under similar circumstances and the explanations by their wives/live-in girlfriends are always shrouded in mystery or just don't add up.

I am a recovering alcoholic with a history of depression.

I would hate to think that someone could get away with my murder because I am a recovering alcoholic with a history of depression and so everyone assumes I committed suicide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

luckyinlove Guest

50. 05-28-2018, 08:54 PM

Reason
    Spam

51. 05-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Reason
    Spam

52. 05-29-2018, 01:59 AM

Reason
    Spam

53. 05-29-2018, 05:35 AM