Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Estelle Getty

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    R.I.P. Estelle! You changed my life forever on that cool October evening when you pulled up your skirt and sat on my face...
    Bitch! I am so jealous again!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    The show was horrible right out of the gate. She didnt add anything to it. I took in the first episode thinking that the woman from Maude would make it funny. She didnt.
    I didn't care for the show either, but, then again, I wasn't their "target audience", I think. My Mom loved it though so, to each their own, I guess.

RIP Estelle

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    I am so sad. I teared up earlier when I heard. She was such a LAdy in the truest sense of the word.
    And when I grow up I want to be Sophia.
    RIP Estelle
    I'm going to be Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorMuerto View Post
    Picture it, the world, 2008. And there are still more Golden Girls alive than Beatles.

RIP
    Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    This truly made me cry...the Sophia sarcasm wouldnt have been the same had it not been for her comedic talent..and for that a big thanks!!..God Bless you Estelle
    You're right. She made the character.

R.I.P. Estelle! You changed my life forever on that cool October evening when you pulled up your skirt and sat on my face...
    Um

Quote Originally Posted by RocketQueen View Post
    "Shady Pines MA!!!!"
    LOL

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://www.spiderwebservices.nl/thegoldengirlsquotes/

These are so hilarious - I started to quote some but I can't b/c they all make me laugh.

Fly Guest
    She was a real sweetheart. I have watched every episode of GG, she was awesome. Everyone loves Sophia!

ethelmaepotter Guest
    This is devastating news. I loved her. She was so funny with impeccable timing. The Golden Girls is the modern day I Love Lucy. You can just watch it again and again. Estelle, thanks for the laughs. Go with God.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Mistook yer mug for the crapper, did she?

An honest mistake.

R.I.P Estelle
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 07-22-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Damn.

lisalouver Guest
    I LOVED The Golden Girls!

I loved all of the characters, but Dorothy and Sophia were my favorites.

"Picture it: Sicily 1922!"

RIP Estelle, you were one of a kind.

Kellycatt1 Guest
    I agree with everyone else, I loved the Golden Girls, and she was always my favorite. I am so sad now. Boo hoo.

I think that most of us were taken by her portrayal of Sophia on
    THE GOLDEN GIRLS. She was a terrific comedienne. GETTY had been very very ill for some time; it is sad that she died, but she is out of her pain.
    R.I.P. dear lady............
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

phirerednga Guest
    You will be missed Ma. RIP Mrs Getty.

bblvnvelphy Guest
    aww, how sad, and i was just watching Golden Girls =( i had no idea...this is depressing =(

KarmaKat Guest
    RIP Estelle.
    She had a good run and is in a far better place now.

She certainly was the show. She will be missed.

deathybrad Guest
    WTF? Is that supposed to be funny?

Maruz83 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    lifetimetv.com has a poll going on for your fave sophia episodes of The Golden Girls and this one was one of the choices:

"Old Friends"
    Sophia meets an old black man on the boardwalk and becomes quick friends with him. However, his strange behavior signals that he has a medical condition, Alzheimer's disease. Meanwhile, Blanche accidentally gives away Rose's teddy bear at a garage sale.

i love this episode--and a little foreshadowing too.... in a way
    I think it really did to. That's one of the saddest epis ever !

One of my favorite Sophia lines is when she was introducing Dorothy to a group of friends. She said something like.....I'd like you to meet my daughter Dorothy, or maybe you know her by her Indian name, Dances with nobody.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I love how she was always making reference to Blanche being a whore .. LOL I remember one where Blanche says something like "I treat my body like a temple" and Sophia comes back with "Yeah, open to everyone, day or night!" hahahaha ..

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKat View Post
    RIP Estelle.
    She had a good run and is in a far better place now.
    my sentiments exactly!

viridescence Guest
    RIP Estelle. Betty White is right; Sophia lives on forever. I have many great memories of watching Golden Girls with my grandmother and Sophia was always my favorite. She had been suffering for quite awhile, though, so I think it's a blessing that she's now at peace.

she was hilarious i think we all knew it was comming but at least the poor Lady isn't suffering anymore. Sophia got around after Bea Arthur left the show the 3 remaing Golden Girls starred in the short lived Golden Palace then Estelle joined Empty nest as neighbor Sophia until that show was cancelled in 1995.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I saw her on Broadway in 1980. She played "ma," Harvey Fierstein's mother in "Torch Song Trilogy," the role that went to Anne Bancroft in the film. She was a standout among the cast, even though I'm fairly sure she was still largely unknown, at least nationally, at that point.
    She will be sorely missed.

motherogod Guest
    I was sad when I saw this online earlier today... but haven't been able to come here all day.

She was so charming as Sophia. It's still my mission in life to live in a great big ol' house with my best girlfriends like that.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Me too. I would love to retire in a house full of women. *sigh* Only a few more years.

I'm so sorry she's is gone. She will be sorely missed. I hope her friends and family are comforted in the fact that she is no longer in any pain. The characters she portrayed will live on forever. She was a very funny lady. Rest In Peace.

kandykisses Guest
    She was sick for so long. It is so sad. A friend at myspace cried half the day she said. She loved Golden girls.

Overtaxed Guest
    The original Sex and the City...and WAAAAAY better!

erin Guest
    i share the sentiments of most, she is in a far better place now. at least we can still see her in the reruns.

Danny62 Guest
    At my new job some of the women were like in shock she died. Its like my god she is 84 why are you so surprised?

Me being a death hag and all I was just pissed I didn't pick her in the death pool I am entered in!

But she was a fine actress. Reminded me a little of Redd Foxx how she could play someone much older than she really was!

2Dogs Guest
    The Golden Girls are comfort tv for me. I love the flash-back episode(s) where Estelle was able to pull off a 40 year younger version of Sophia, just by removing her wig and changing glasses. I also love how Sophia always carried her purse everywhere with her. I know some ladies like that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    There's a lifetime GG marathon Friday!

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I need to set the DVR when I get home.

taphophile Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    Hey! yesterday was my b-day! happy b-day to you! I loved Estelle Getty In Golden Girls. I heard of her passing on my local news station. She was awesome.
    Happy belated birthday to you! She was awesome! So sad...

leevancleef Guest
    Bea Arthur is the same age as Estelle was isnt she??
    RIP, dear Estelle, you will be deeply missed.

Smackman Guest
    I loved this show back in the day. All of the lady's were great in their role on the show. Estelle will be greatly missed.

cynnbox Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    i will be tuning in.

ethelmaepotter Guest
    According to the Associated Press, Bea, Rue or Betty were NOT at her funeral. Any guesses why?

Katie Guest
    It is so hard for us to not think of them as good friends who would always stay in touch, but they were in fact employees working together, so for them not to go, does not surprise me.

I would be surprised if they didn't speak to the family, or maybe send flowers.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelmaepotter View Post
    According to the Associated Press, Bea, Rue or Betty were NOT at her funeral. Any guesses why?

Ive just read that too. Betty White and Bea Arthur both live in LA, so i dont know why they didnt attend it.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I read some where that Bea Arthur and Betty white hated each other and were constantly bitching at each other about everything. Estelle got along with everyone.

One of my favorite lines. "If I liked you more this would be touching..." Sophia was such a card.

ethelmaepotter Guest
    I read that about Bea & Betty. They didn't get along, but I don't think many people get along with Bea. She is "difficult", so I have heard.

Tebssis Guest
    Not to bring doom and gloom to an already sad event, but Betty and Bea are also getting along in years and may just not had the "ummph" to get out. I hate to think that their own petty squabbles would keep them from attending a fellow ex cast members' funeral, especially someone as sweet as Estelle.

lisalouver Guest
    I also thought I heard that the only one who sent flowers was Betty?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Not to bring doom and gloom to an already sad event, but Betty and Bea are also getting along in years and may just not had the "ummph" to get out. I hate to think that their own petty squabbles would keep them from attending a fellow ex cast members' funeral, especially someone as sweet as Estelle.
    I was thinking that too Tebs, and then I remembered that Bea Arthur has recently been touring with her one-woman show...so in her case, she's got the "ooomph" but no love for Estelle evidently!

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelmaepotter View Post
    Was the funeral a private affair? How big is the chapel at Hollywood Forever?

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Bea Arthur is the same age as Estelle was isnt she??
    RIP, dear Estelle, you will be deeply missed.
    Bea Arthur is a year older.
    Last edited by deathybrad; 07-26-2008 at 01:45 AM.

silverwaif77 Guest

sophia as a role model

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I agree, let's hope to be as feisty as Sophia. Picture it, many years from now, we can say, "I laughed until I peed and I laughed again."

I am 4'8, 4'9 and sassy, I always tell people when I'm old I'm gonna be just like sophia petrillo, it's good to have goals ya know? Sunshine and I can hang out at shady pines and talk about our slutty roomates, our dateless daughter, and that ditz from the dairy farm.

DAMN!!! I was trying to add Sunshine's quote as well as alan's. Since there are 3 of us vying to be sophia can we take it in turns or will the world be ready for 3 sophias in 50 years?
    Last edited by silverwaif77; 07-26-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: 2 more cents to put in

leeny994 Guest
    I believe the chapel at Hollywood forever is fairly large. They are holding and have held decent sized events for Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone there---one is coming up soon for Johnny.

I believe Betty was also going to see her on a fairly regular basis---But poor Estelle had no idea who she was most of the time. she would always say--when Betty left: "That one was nice"
    i remember my grandmother used to say that about people too--people who would visit her that she had once known....

Estelle Getty

I just found this on the internet. Maybe this will explain why
    the others didn't attend Estelle's funeral.

Rue McClanahan is now 74 yrs old and Betty White and Bea Arthur are now 86 yrs old...
    Rue just had knee surgery this week and could not travel.. Betty White sent Flowers and
    Bea Arthur had said that she and Estelle said their good-byes a long time ago... Estelle was
    no longer the person they worked with... Dementia robs so much from their lives and also
    from those around them... The funeral was less that 75 people... There were
    others in TV/movies that should/could have also attended.

She was my favorite. She will definitely be missed.
    Last edited by Rebekah; 07-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Noelle Page Guest
    Well.....they're elderly, they get cut a break.

But generally at times like this, showing up matters.