Thread: Mary Wickes

Danny62 Guest

Mary Wickes

Born Mary Isabelle Wickenhauser in St. Louis, Missouri, the daughter of a well-to-do St. Louis banker, Wickes was an excellent student, completing a political science degree at the University of Washington by the age of 18. She originally intended becoming a lawyer. She made her Broadway debut in 1934. Wickes began acting in films in 1939. One of her earliest notable film appearances was in 'The Man Who Came to Dinner' in 1942. She first attracted attention in the film 'Now, Voyager', also released in 1942, as the nurse. The same year she had a large part in the Bud Abbott and Lou Costello comedy 'Who Done It?' She continued playing supporting roles in films during the next decade. In the 1950s she played regular roles in the television sitcoms 'Make Room for Daddy' and 'Dennis the Menace'. She appeared in the holiday classic 'White Christmas' in 1954. In the 60s and 70s she played frequent guest roles in each of her friend Lucille Ball's television series, 'I Love Lucy', 'Here's Lucy' and 'The Lucy Show'. She appeared regularly in a children's television show; 'Sigmund and the Sea Monsters'. By the 1980s her appearances in television series such as 'M*A*S*H', 'The Love Boat', 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' and 'Murder, She Wrote' made her a easily recognizable character actress. In the 1990s she appeared in 'Postcards From the Edge' and achieved the biggest success of her career in 'Sister Act' in 1992 as Sister Mary Lazarus. She reprised the role in the sequel 'Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit'. Her final film appearance was in the 1994 film version of 'Little Women'. Hospitalized in 1995, Wickes died after cancer surgery.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    thanks for the info, i couldnt place her. she led one hell of a life huh?

poppie Guest
    Mary Wickes was some kind of a gal.She was close friends with Lucille Ball. Would love to eavesdrop on their conversations. Wickes was not a beauty, but her roles were mostly scene stealers. THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER is probably one of her best known roles. I would love to have had a drink and lots of conversation with Mary Wickes and Patsy Kelly. Patsy was open lesbian; only rumors about Mary. But, both gals have been reported to be real hoots and tons of laffs.

Jaxxx Guest
    Loved her in "On Moonlight Bay"

kelbons Guest
    The Trouble with Angels... one of my favorites!

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Loved her in "On Moonlight Bay"
    And 'By the light of the silvery moon'. Both classic films.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    She was a great one. "The Man Who Came To Dinner" is a must see.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    I Loved Mary Wickes. Oh How I Wish I Could've Been A Fly On The Wall When Her And Lucy Were Just Hanging Out.

What A Great Talent She Was. Rip Mary.

Mary Wickes
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 08:59 PM.

she played the musical sister on "sister act' and ' sister act II' she was a delightful and funny lady!!!
    pull the string!

Guest Guest
    What a great actress she was - cheeky and tall

mommafreak Guest
    hollywood had such classic laides back then..... what happened?

lobosco107 Guest
    She was great in every movie she made. I also remember her in musicals like WHITE CHRISTMAS and THE MUSIC MAN.

She was one of those people you thought would live forever. Just like Pat Carroll...who IS still alive.

BTW: I dread getting to that age when people will ask "Is she still alive"?

Vamp Guest
    She was a great comedic actress.

She had a great career. Enjoyed her in Sister Act. RIP Mary
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I always got her confused with Charlotte Greenwood. In fact, Down Argentine Way was on the other day and I thought SHE was Mary Wickes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

i loved her. she kinda played that straight woman who got all the laughs. she wasn't considered beautiful, but she was damn funny
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

i liked her in ''postcards from the edge'' too...! playin Shirly's mother

I knew I had remembered that name from somewhere, also Loved The Trouble With Angels .. the Music in that was way catchy!! Also Sister Act.. too funny.. Mary Wickes .. R.I.P.
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

I think it was nice that just before Vivian Vance died
    Lucille Ball along with Mary Wickes went to see her for the
    last time and say goodbye and whatever differences they
    ( Lucy and Vivian) had in the past to clear things up.
    Years later Lucy said she had to go with Mary Wickes
    because she could not go alone.

she guest starred on I Love Lucy in 1952 episode "the Ballet" playing the tough Ballet teacher while Lucy was bumbling around.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Just watched her in the 1994 "Little Women" playing her usual funny self.

Mary never married and as noted earlier here, had millions in the bank. Does anybody have a clue what she wanted done with it? Wouldn't surprise me if she left big bequests to colleges and charities. She was funny and seemed like a nice lady.

I loved her voice! I forgot she was in "Little Women" as the aunt. She was also a voice in Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    I always remembered her as the "good gums" nurse in M*A*S*H*. Remember seeing her in Sister Act but didnt actually realise they were the same person (till now obviously) RIP good gums lady!

A great character actress I remember her as Miss Cathcart on The Dennis the Menace show. She was always trying to catch a man usually with the help of Dennis and always would turn into a disaster. Especially when she started to sing! Always a joy to watch.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Mary Wickes was definitely a Lesbian and spent time in Ptown while I lived there. She was not a party scene type but hung with ladies of a similar age and experience.
    She seemed very nice and very witty!
    I do not remember her having a partner with her but I just may not have been introduced. She hung out with a local legend, the late jean Kent who was an heiress and a real Renaissance woman.
    She was an artist and hung with the Ptown artist crowd back in the day and was one of the original patrons that helped Alvin Ailey found his dance troupe.
    Jean was friends with lots of Hollywood and Theater types and Mary Wickes was one of them.
    I discovered this gem. It is a snipped of an unaired TV pilot with Mary Wickes as Betty Davis gal Friday. It would likely have been a very funny show.
    http://allanellenberger.com/book-flm...00th-birthday/
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 05-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I loved her as the cleaning lady/ local ghost story believer in The Spirit is Willing!

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Mary also appeared in an episode of "Sanford and Son" as a housekeeper. Very funny! My favorite scene was when she answered the phone and told Fred it was his friend Bubba. Then she asked "what is a Bubba?" LOL! RIP Miss Mary

What a gal! RIP Mary