Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incorrupt Bodies of Catholic Saints

Danse Macabre Guest

Incorrupt Bodies of Catholic Saints

This is a mystery that has always intrigued me. Some of them died centuries ago, but their bodies never decomposed and more than that, they were taking out of their tombs smeling fresh and still have a flower scent, even though they never got embalmed.

Saint Bernadette and Saint Catherine Laboure are the most impressive to me.

Some links with pictures and info:

http://www.overcomeproblems.com/incorruptables.htm

http://members.chello.nl/~l.de.bondt...ruptBodies.htm

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Danse Macabre; 10-22-2007 at 10:35 AM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Cross View Post
    That's a mystery that has always intrigued me. Some of them died centuries ago, but their bodies never decomposed and more than that, they were taking out of their tombs smeling fresh and still have a flower scent, even though they never got embalmed.

Saint Bernadette and Saint Catherine Laboure are the most impressive to me.

Some links with pictures and info:

http://www.overcomeproblems.com/incorruptables.htm

http://members.chello.nl/~l.de.bondt...ruptBodies.htm

Any thoughts?
    It's amazing. Altho I wonder how many average people are still in that condition but just haven't been exhumed.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    It's amazing. Altho I wonder how many average people are still in that condition but just haven't been exhumed.

That could very well to be true too.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    that is amazing!! could it be something "holy", or something natural?? i find it cool as hell how long some of those people have been dead! kinda spooky!! could u imagine being a grave robber and opening a tomb to find someone dead for hundreds of years laying there like they are sleepin???

mommafreak Guest
    the pictures on that site is amazing. i'd love to see one.

Shes Not There Guest
    Someone posted a link to a very interesting site that can explain this. And of course I cannot remember the term for it (andiopose?). Basically the fatty tissues turn to an almost soap like consistancy. The conditions have to be exactly right and it is more common in embalmed corpses (if my memory serves me correctly). I wish I had bookmarked it. I'll look around and see if I can locate the thread.

OK, I cannot find the website on here, maybe I linked from another site. So here's wikipedia for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipocere Maybe it's the link at the bottom of it.
    Last edited by Shes Not There; 10-22-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Shes Not There Guest

yep

the link at the bottom was it...

8. 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shes Not There View Post
    Someone posted a link to a very interesting site that can explain this. And of course I cannot remember the term for it (andiopose?). Basically the fatty tissues turn to an almost soap like consistancy. The conditions have to be exactly right and it is more common in embalmed corpses (if my memory serves me correctly). I wish I had bookmarked it. I'll look around and see if I can locate the thread.

OK, I cannot find the website on here, maybe I linked from another site. So here's wikipedia for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipocere Maybe it's the link at the bottom of it.
    Heres another from deathndementia.com
    http://adipocere.homestead.com

RoRo Guest
    I dunno ...most look too perfect for it to be adipocere..some maybe , I'm not catholic but I do believe in miracles and some were so long ago..I just dunno

Guest Guest
    Heres another from deathndementia.com
    http://adipocere.homestead.com
    I read through all the sites on adipocere and one interesting thing is this...the M.E.'s can test the corpse for adipocere and certain molds etc and none of the confirmed adipocere corpses are flexible or pleasantly fragrant as the Saint's are described...hmmmmm?

12. 10-23-2007, 07:08 AM

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Yeah, I don't know that it is Adipocere, just listing a link for it after someone else did. This child died in 1920, and she is well preserved to say this least. I think she also has been pretty much in open air. In this case the story is that she was embalmed with some secret formula, and the guy took the secret with him when he died. Maybe some people just stay better preserved than others.

maybe i am a big wuss, but this pic gives me a chill. whats the story with this, u know?

RubySlippers Guest
    http://community.iexplore.com/planni...Mummies+Galore

Interesting article.
    Freaky-Deaky
    I bet you could find more about her in the library.
    *Ruby pushing her Librarian skills*

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    maybe i am a big wuss, but this pic gives me a chill. whats the story with this, u know?
    This little girl is in the catacombs in Palermo, Italy. It gives me a chill too.

http://members.tripod.com/~motomom/index-3.html

Try here, it's aknockout site, and you can see them all

RubySlippers Guest
    ooooh, creepy.
    But bitchen-cool.
    Thanks for the link!

endsleigh03 Guest
    This little girl is in the catacombs in Palermo, Italy. It gives me a chill too.

http://members.tripod.com/~motomom/index-3.html

Try here, it's aknockout site, and you can see them all
    This site is a perfect example of "why some people, and not others". Alot/most of the others hanging on the walls at this place are falling apart. I guess it isn't unusual to see an occasional body part fall and roll at these catacombs. But then you have others, St. Bernadette, or this little girl for example, who don't. Maybe science will have an answer one day. Or maybe it is a "miracle" type thing

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    who wants to spend the night there?? thats the kinda place i would do a quick "run thru" on, and i mean running!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    who wants to spend the night there?? thats the kinda place i would do a quick "run thru" on, and i mean running!!
    Can ya imagine doing a Halloween night there. How perfect lol.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    UH-UH!!! be my luck a damn head would fall off and roll right across my feet, then i would be joinging them!!

icdeadpeople2 Guest
    I saw a story about this young girl she died after a short illness and the dr that embalmed her used some secert embalming formula and died soon after her taking his formula with him. She ether had a twin or a close in age sister that still visits her in the catacombs

firegilnotguns Guest
    Catacombs will give anyone a chill...it's so nice and cool down in them - considering I was there in July (though not this past July...1998) Italy gets so hot so it's a very welcome chill!

Layla331 Guest
    that little girl was from italy...and alot of the saints are also from italy...seems odd..im not discounting miracles or saints..im Catholic and do believe...im just saying..how do they embalm lol??

Chascsq Guest
    I've always found these incorruptable Catholic saints fascinating. Makes me wonder if there is some secret that is passed down. I know John Paul II, and Mother Teresa are canidates for sainthood, and I'm wondering if they will be when they are exhumed.

Other incorruptables are Medger Evers (This man was exhumed 30 years after death, and he was perfect, not even skin discoloration), Abraham Lincoln who was twice exhumed, and was perfect aside from being casper white, and the Big Bopper who apparantly still had his flat top!

MorbidMolly Guest
    I have seen many shows on them and not long ago the scientific community was allowed to try and disprove these " miracles "....quite a few were de-bunked but Saint Bernadette was not one of them....they x-rayed them and found many had been " tampered " with.....the most amazing bodies are those that went the wax route.....Eva Peron comes to mind

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    i think saint bernadette and the little girl are absolutely beautiful and innocent.

what happenes if john paul II and mother teresa are exumed and theyre not incorrupt?

Oh too cool (exlclamation point) (mines busted...grrrr) This site will keep me busy for HOURS.. Thanks for the cool link new avenue to explore...

kelbons Guest
    I'm not Catholic but I'm married to one, and I'm sad to say that I had no idea about this until I first saw this thread yesterday! Fascinating... now I want to see more!
    Last edited by kelbons; 10-25-2007 at 04:15 PM.

It's the "higher power's" world..He/She can do what she pleases!! This is crazy, though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

attackatdawn Guest
    I used to work with a lady whose late sister was a nun, one day we were talking about life after death & such. And she said she would not be afraid to open her sister's casket (the lady died about 30 yrs ago) as she believes her sister would look the same as when they laid her to rest. If I believe that or not I am not sure?

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    I used to work with a lady whose late sister was a nun, one day we were talking about life after death & such. And she said she would not be afraid to open her sister's casket (the lady died about 30 yrs ago) as she believes her sister would look the same as when they laid her to rest. If I believe that or not I am not sure?

if ya'll decide to crack it open, gimme a call, i wanna be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Chascsq View Post
    I've always found these incorruptable Catholic saints fascinating. Makes me wonder if there is some secret that is passed down. I know John Paul II, and Mother Teresa are canidates for sainthood, and I'm wondering if they will be when they are exhumed.

Other incorruptables are Medger Evers (This man was exhumed 30 years after death, and he was perfect, not even skin discoloration), Abraham Lincoln who was twice exhumed, and was perfect aside from being casper white, and the Big Bopper who apparantly still had his flat top!
    When Lincoln was last exhumed in 1901...he was recognizable...but his eyebrows were gone! Great summary here...

http://members.aol.com/RVSNorton/Lincoln13.html

Ruffian Guest
    I am so glad I looked at this thread! I never knew about this before. I'm Catholic and I do believe that it is of God in the case of St. Bernadette. She looks porcelain....and my ideal of what the Virgin Mary looks like.

Danse Macabre Guest
    I think adipocere doesn't fully explain this, as incorruptibility is distinct from the good preservation of a body or mummification.

cachluv Guest
    Anyone ever see the pics of Edgar Mevvers (sp?) exhumation? His son was standing beside the opened coffin, looking down at the father who died while he was a baby, and the two of them looked like twins. It was very touching. Anyone have that pic??

endsleigh03 Guest
    if ya'll decide to crack it open, gimme a call, i wanna be there!
    Lmao, Dirttrack

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Anyone ever see the pics of Edgar Mevvers (sp?) exhumation? His son was standing beside the opened coffin, looking down at the father who died while he was a baby, and the two of them looked like twins. It was very touching. Anyone have that pic??
    Didn't see that, but would like to.

beandip Guest
    Medgar Evers-Civil Rights Leader?

Nowereman Guest
    There probably stuffed, just like Phar Lap.

Phar Lap - Stuffed

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    In the Basilica of St. Anthony in Padua, Italy (which I visited several years ago), there are several reliquaries. One contains his tongue, another the incorrupt cartilage of his larynx, and yet another contains the relic of the jaw (which is attached below).
    These items date to the year of his death, 1231.

Strange, fascinating, and...oddly moving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mento.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	2392  

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post

I've seen it. It was shown on a programme that was about autopsies. I think dr. Michael Baden opened the coffin en performed a second autopsy.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

these are all amazing!

deathybrad Guest
    There has to be an explanation.

cherryghost Guest
    Bernadette is beautiful and look at her hands! She must have actually been quite a beautiful woman in life! The young girl is lovely too! Somehow I dont feel chilled by these photos as they are so reposed and calm, unlike most of the other dead body shots here! Die young leave a good looking corpse also springs to mind!

cherryghost Guest

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    In the Basilica of St. Anthony in Padua, Italy (which I visited several years ago), there are several reliquaries. One contains his tongue, another the incorrupt cartilage of his larynx, and yet another contains the relic of the jaw (which is attached below).

Reecy Guest

Smile

I cannot believe how beautiful Sister Bernadette looks. Her lips look amazing.

The child looks so precious. I did go to NYC and I saw Mother Cabrini in person. She does look perserved underneath an altar. It's a miracle I tell you.

kelbons Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post

That is very interesting. I can't find a picture of the larynx, but here's the tongue I just found...

This whole subject fascinates me...

Snoopy Guest
    St. Bernadette is absolutely beautiful..it's just amazing!

Gardner32 Guest
    This is a great site. Look at Italy, and the catacombs. Cool stuff at each link of the states and elsewhere.

http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/sightseer/

tngirl1967 Guest
    I'm Catholic and have been fascinated by the incorruptibles for a while. BTW, Saint Bernadette's hands and face are covered in wax to keep that appearance, but it is just a layer over her actual skin from what I understand. A lot of study on the subject is out there but most research lays it off on the climate control, low humidity, etc., along with embalming techniques.

Here is a good site with lots of great info:

http://www.fisheaters.com/relics.html

Kugmu Guest
    Thank you all for the many fantastic links!
    I'll be checking them out all night...

Fascinating links, thanks so much!