Thread: Peter Finch

Ted Challinor Guest

Peter Finch

I've read Finchy died while on a promotional tour for his role as Howard Beale - for which he won a posthumous oscar - in 'Network', but when and where did he die? And does anyone have any stories about the Aussie actor? I read Barry Norman's excellent Hollywood Greats short biog of him years back but I need reminding of his personal exploits from you knowledgable chaps,
    Ted, in a chilly England

Didnt he have an affair with Vivien leigh while making Elephant walk or something? She then had her breakdown & was replaced by liz taylor....

Larry olivier knew about the affair & was grateful as it help ease the manic vivien off him & let him have a rest.

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Challinor View Post
    I've read Finchy died while on a promotional tour for his role as Howard Beale - for which he won a posthumous oscar - in 'Network', but when and where did he die? And does anyone have any stories about the Aussie actor? I read Barry Norman's excellent Hollywood Greats short biog of him years back but I need reminding of his personal exploits from you knowledgable chaps,
    Ted, in a chilly England
    accordingly from wiki (which you cant always go by the info on there) it said he died of

Finch died from a heart attack on January 14, 1977 at the age of 60. He is interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood, California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Finch

This website also tells a little about him also

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002075/

you can click on the more tab by the date he was born and died, to read about the mini biography.
    Last edited by rjbrasher; 10-22-2007 at 03:56 AM.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Notably, he dropped dead on Network co-star Faye Dunaway's 36th birthday.

I loved him in The Nun's Story. I always thought he and Sister Luke would hook up.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I never knew that interesting!

TobbeJ Guest
    Didn't he die just a few hours after being on 'The Tonight Show'?

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I didn't know that either!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    Didnt he have an affair with Vivien leigh while making Elephant walk or something? She then had her breakdown & was replaced by liz taylor....

Larry olivier knew about the affair & was grateful as it help ease the manic vivien off him & let him have a rest.
    Viven leigh had a big time affair with Peter Finch!
    She even ran off with Finch to Italy once but Larry summoned her
    back.
    Peter Finch once made the statement:
    "After sleeping with Viven, nothing else mattered".

Or something very similar.

Noelle Page Guest
    He also had an affair with Shirley Bassey, didn't he? That's hot!

ratkin638 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TobbeJ View Post
    Didn't he die just a few hours after being on 'The Tonight Show'?
    Yes, he did. The one thing that I've always remembered about that show is that Finch came out and did his bit with Johnny, and then moved over to the couch in anticipation of the next guest. The next guest was George Carlin, who came out and did a whole routine on death, dying and funerals ("I don't want to be buried, but I also don't like cremation. I want to be blown up!").

I always wondered if he considered that he might have been a jinx that night.

Noelle Page Guest
    It had to at least cross his mind!

Rest In Peace, loved your movies