Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Schlitzie

Two, please.

2 from Ohio (Myself and my brother).

Verne Langdon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Harris View Post
    Guys, I'm definitely planning on being there, even if I have to FLY -- I've done it once in my 47 years about 29 years ago, so you realize the commitment I'm making here.

I have a good friend who has been interested in my Schlitzie research over the years. I know he'd like to make it, too, but he's a freelance artist, so that's tentative, but I'm hoping he'll be coming with me as well.

By the way, I should be getting the first chunck of my book on Schlitzie out to my agent this coming week (and I've made him aware already of the interest from Find A Death by forwarding him the link to this discussion thread).

Best,
    Micah
    T'anks everyone who has replied thus far - we gotta know WHO and HOW MANY plan to attend.

And T'ANKS for saying "yes", Micah! This will be SO cool, everyone, as Micah and I have never MET "in person", although we spent forever on the phone during our research on Shlitze, along with our other collaborators, plus trillions of emails back and forth.

This is gonna be an AWESOME get-together!

Maybe Scott has hotel info for y'all on possible staying places.

I know The Hollywood Roosevelt and the Magic Hotel (or Magic Castle Hotel), and they're both pricey, and in Hollywood rather than near Queen Of Heaven.

But I am totally unfamiliar with that neighborhood (QOH); it may or may not features inns or hotels, and if so, not sure of the ratings or safety of the area. Perhaps the cemetery's zip code would tip you off as to any hotel info & ratings available on your cpr.

- Verne

wow this sounds great.... still is the web cam thing going to happen for us far far away death hags that still want to be involved??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I've started a thread for a head count...If you would go to it and post how many you plan on attending personally maybe it will help...

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13477

Please, no discussion...Just the number of folks you are bringing...

SenorMuerto Guest

BigBootyJudy Guest
    1 -Just me, hopefully!

1karenhb Guest
    1 please.

Erm..pardon my ignorance..is this a virtual memorial or actually going to L.A.? If virtual, I'm there. If not..I'll try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Erm..pardon my ignorance..is this a virtual memorial or actually going to L.A.? If virtual, I'm there. If not..I'll try.
    Actual memorial. February 20, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13477

Please, no discussion...Just the number of folks you are bringing...

Better alert the Mods so that one of them doesn't look at the titles and merge the 2 threats.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    Better alert the Mods so that one of them doesn't look at the titles and merge the 2 threats.
    Spanks sugar!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    DEAR MODS... Please don't merge this thread with the "Headstone for Schlitze"...This is for a headcount for the memorial...Not a virtual memorial service...THANKS!!!

Verne Langdon Guest
    2 please.

Verne Langdon Guest

Shlitze's day - all inclusive!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    I am hoping to go, did someone say there would be a special tour or get together after??
    Hi BigBootyJudy ... we're still in the "planning stage", but I'm hoping we'll follow the service with lunch at one of L.A.'s funkier restaurants Shlitze was known to inhabit at the Showman's Club noon get-togethers, after which it would be cool to check out the areas where Shlitze spent his last years, e.g. L.A. County Hospital where he was an out-patient, MacArthur Park's Lake where he fed the ducks ("TAME ROBERT!"), sat on the bench with his guardians who sold his dog-eared early-day carnival cardboard photos and small bags of "circus nuts" or popcorn, see his last apartment building, and pass by Fountain View, where the little guy succumbed to Prince Sirki's call.

All of this is pending whatever kind of transportation could be arranged (a tour bus would be GREAT!, but might be out of our budget range), and also everyone's desire to include such visitations in the day's activities. Whuddya say?!! Scott? Kugmu? What's the tour bus biz ops?

Also, what hotels/motels/inns/hospices can be recommended for us?

PLUS, would we by all of that activity be hungry again, and do we want to have a little supper together?

It would be SO cool if we knew some little art movie house that would screen FREAKS for us. A great wrap-up to the day, possibly?

Anyway, however it goes down, I think this is going to be a remarkable experience for all who attend.

As for any video, that is still something to be arranged also. Would we consider hiring a videographer, or would one of us have a camera and accept the responsibility of Official Cinematographer for Shlitze's Day?

Suggestions?

- Verne

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Thanks Verne, it sounds divine! I am sure we can come up with plenty to do. Worst case scenario we could probably caravan and meet at each of the locations or something like that!

Verne Langdon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    Thanks Verne, it sounds divine! I am sure we can come up with plenty to do. Worst case scenario we could probably caravan and meet at each of the locations or something like that!
    Yes, yes. Definitely. We could also carpool, three or four to a vehicle, so as to have fewer vehicles to park.

It's often a horror finding ONE place to park in Los Angeles, let alone 10, 20, or more. Parking lots are ridiculously priced, and street parking is usually limited in 5, 15, 30, or (rarely) 60 or 90 increments, with LOTS of those funny little police tri-wheelers and traffic police roaming about with chalk stick and parking ticket book in hand. Hate 'em.

I think it would be more fun to line up seven or eight hearses. We could lay down in the back, and be transported to each location in that manner.

Well, alright, maybe the tour bus would be more practical, but I think we'd get more press for Shlitze with the hearses.

Forgive me ... I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm still giddy until I've chowed down.

Goo' maw'nin'!

- V.

19. 10-29-2008, 04:01 AM

20. 10-29-2008, 04:10 AM

Screwtape Guest

Verne Langdon Guest

Your ideas are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post

I for one welcome any input you can share.

- Verne

RoRo Guest

Need Info

Ok so I will be tryig to ttend the memorial and may fly....what I need to know is where is the best place to get a hotel...near the airport or somewhere near the cemetery...I have no idea about the area.....it will cost about $350 to fly and that will cost less than the drive...can anyone give me some ideas on this

RoRo Guest
    ok as of right now I will be attending with a friend so...... 2 please

redkatrampant Guest
    I wont be able to make it, but feel free to hit me up for funds. I missed this the first time around.

I'm there.

only one..in spirit..(no yeast)
    pull the string!

Old Soul Guest
    Potentially 2 here, but is subject to school schedule and funds.

Katie Guest
    I am new to this thread. I want to commend all of you for your hard work.

Verne, I have enjoyed your comments. I noticed that you live in the area of the fires from last week. Are you okay?
    I noticed you have not posted lately.

Katie

Verne Langdon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I am new to this thread. I want to commend all of you for your hard work.

Verne, I have enjoyed your comments. I noticed that you live in the area of the fires from last week. Are you okay?
    I noticed you have not posted lately.

Katie
    Hi Katie! Many thanks for your kind words regarding the work for Shlitze done so lovingly here. Yes, this group is a rare one indeed.

Thank you also for your concern regarding the Montecito fire ... I'm down on the beach, whereas the fire was primarily up in the "Tea" area near Westmont, blazing over to Santa Barbara from Montecito. Horrendous doesn't even begin to describe it.

Fire is so terribly treacherous.

But thank God, I'm safe.

My heart bleeds for those who lost their homes, personal belongings, pets, and essentially their history.

Ten City College students failed to pour water on the smolderling coals of their campfire, and after they left, the Santa Ana winds spread the sparks.

"When will they ever learn?"

Hope to meet you and thank you personally at Shlitze's Day (February 20, 2009).

- Verne

Katie Guest
    Verne,

It does my heart good to know that you are well. I do send my thoughts and prayers out to those who loss so much.

I hope that all that have wished to do, will be able to join up on Feb. 20th. Sadly my dear hubby is about to leave for another tour in the sand, and I do not travel when he is gone, but will spend that day thinking of all of you.

I am lucky enough to believe that once a body dies their soul becomes well, so I hope Schlitzie will be able to be there in spirit, and appreciate all that was done on his behalf.

Bless wishes to all, especially you Verne

Katie

Verne Langdon Guest
    Shlitze Day is almost upon us (February 20, 2009 - a mere 94 days from now), so it might be a really good idea to begin organizing our event at this time.

Colicky?

Kugmu?

Wuzzup?

I know what with the holidays and all their additional mayhem, things tend to bog down, but we should now dedicate some time to our special day for our oh-so-special little fellow, and get the ball rolling so anyone wanting to can make Event reservations (should be required along with photo I.D.), hotel arrangements, etc.

Also we need an EVENT PLAN, program scedhule, etc.

Any contributors?

- Verne

Hi guys. I'm on board to help. I have finished one final and have one to go. My psycho sister caused some big problems this week that I had to deal with, and I work every other day this week, so give me a few more days then I done with school and will be back with a clear schedule!

CCdeathhag Guest
    Sorry Guys, I can't make it. That is my bday weekend and I was trying to plan a getaway. But I will see if I still can make it.

Verne Langdon Guest
    SHLITZE'S DAY is fast approaching ... THIRTY-SIX (36) days from today some of us will be standing in Queen of Angels Cemetery in Rowland Heights, graveside to where our little friend's physical remains are interred.

We'll bow our heads in respect, a Catholic Priest will deliver a prayer, then we'll say a few words in Shlitze's memory.

Following our simple ceremony we'll embark on a tour of Shlitze's wordly haunts, including a visit to Lake MacArthur where he used to visit and feed (and no doubt chase!) the ducks, his last known residence as verified on his Certificate Of Death, and the convalescent home where he breathed his final breath.

FFRIDAY FEBRUARY 20 will be SHLITZE'S DAY (wouldn't it be great if someone knew how to get a City Of Los Angeles Official Proclamation to this effect? Do YOU know how we can accomplished this? Suggestions are welcome on this item.)

Anyway, Kugmu will soon be posting the exact itinerary and all the details for SHLITZE'S DAY, so please keep checking back here, okay?!!

Hope to see YOU there!

Gooble, Gobble!

- Verne

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Langdon View Post
    SHLITZE'S DAY is fast approaching ... THIRTY-SIX (36) days from today some of us will be standing in Queen of Angels Cemetery in Rowland Heights, graveside to where our little friend's physical remains are interred.

We'll bow our heads in respect, a Catholic Priest will deliver a prayer, then we'll say a few words in Shlitze's memory.

Following our simple ceremony we'll embark on a tour of Shlitze's wordly haunts, including a visit to Lake MacArthur where he used to visit and feed (and no doubt chase!) the ducks, his last known residence as verified on his Certificate Of Death, and the convalescent home where he breathed his final breath.

FFRIDAY FEBRUARY 20 will be SHLITZE'S DAY (wouldn't it be great if someone knew how to get a City Of Los Angeles Official Proclamation to this effect? Do YOU know how we can accomplished this? Suggestions are welcome on this item.)

Anyway, Kugmu will soon be posting the exact itinerary and all the details for SHLITZE'S DAY, so please keep checking back here, okay?!!

Hope to see YOU there!

Gooble, Gobble!

- Verne

You are all an amazing group of Hags... to work this hard for someone Im sure none of yall ever met is just incredible... almost makes me forget the nastiness I read on here daily, and restores my faith in man. Cheers!

Verne Langdon Guest

Alas, poor shlitze ...

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious625 View Post
    You are all an amazing group of Hags... to work this hard for someone Im sure none of yall ever met is just incredible... almost makes me forget the nastiness I read on here daily, and restores my faith in man. Cheers!
    Many thanks, "Melicious" ... actually, I knew Shlitze well... at least as "well" as anyone might know him.

I became fascinated the first time I set eyes on him in the early '50's. He was featured in the 10-in-one of a circus (sideshow) that played San Jose where I was in the process of growing "up".

My folks took me backstage and I shook his hand. Every year I'd look for him on the carnivals that played SJ, and usually find him on the West Coast Shows or one of the other carnivals.

I'll be telling some stories about him on the 20th of February. I hope you will join us.

Shlitze deserves the tribute, and my new found Find-A-Death friends have made all this possible.

It truly IS amazing, and yes, so very heartwarming.

- Verne

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Langdon View Post
    Many thanks, "Melicious" ... actually, I knew Shlitze well... at least as "well" as anyone might know him.

I became fascinated the first time I set eyes on him in the early '50's. He was featured in the 10-in-one of a circus (sideshow) that played San Jose where I was in the process of growing "up".

My folks took me backstage and I shook his hand. Every year I'd look for him on the carnivals that played SJ, and usually find him on the West Coast Shows or one of the other carnivals.

I'll be telling some stories about him on the 20th of February. I hope you will join us.

Shlitze deserves the tribute, and my new found Find-A-Death friends have made all this possible.

It truly IS amazing, and yes, so very heartwarming.

- Verne

Oh wow!! That is very cool! I never knew bout him until this thread... but Im a younger generation hag I would love to come, but cant make it, I'll be trapped in TN, in fact Ive never been to CA, but I am going to make a trip just to take Scotts tour! Someday....

39. 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM

40. 01-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Hey guys,

I just tried to book a room for that weekend and the woman informed me that the Oscars have taken everything. Los Angeles will be a madhouse and I am a brat when it comes to accommodations. I am sorry to be so selfish but I really had my heart set on seeing a bit of LA while I was there and really really don't want to be caught up in the fray. I am more than happy to contribute money to the event in my absence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just looked online at Expedia for a room for a friend who is trying to come and meet up with my brother and me that weekend and saw several hotels available in all price ranges. You might want to try there? It would be great to meet you!

We are staying at the Intercontinental Hotel in Century City, on The Avenue of the Stars, only 1 mile from Rodeo Drive. We got a great price and I actually booked mine through AAA and saved even more!

I just checked again and Expedia and Travelocity are both posting more than 500 hotels around the city at all price ranges, and through Feb. 19 through Feb. 27.

Booking buddy is still offering fantastic air fares! This is a great site by the way. All the doctors use it at work for their travel and to get their kids home from college all the country!

My brother and I arrive on Feb. 19, and are flying out on Feb. 26. to go to Las Vegas till Monday March 2.

I hope to meet and see as many death hags as possible!
    Last edited by Colicky; 01-24-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: I can't spell.

I would like to stay near you guys so maybe we could carpool as we won't have wheels out there. Lemme check around. Thanks Colicky!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    ONE OF MY THREADS GOT STICKIED!!! *Sniff*...This is the happiest day of my life...

Verne Langdon Guest

No room at the inn?

Hi RoRo - To you and others wondering where to stay in the area of SHLITZE'S DAY: As Farmer's Market located at 3rd & Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles is our meeting place (FM is next door to CBS Television City and snuggling property lines with The Grove), I'd consider staying at The Farmer's Daughter http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html which is right across the street from where we're gonna meet! As hotels go it's a bit pricey, but look what you could save in a car rental or mileage!! Check it out. Of course if you want full Hollywood flavor, The Hollywood Roosevelt http://travel.hotels-and-discounts.c...tc03?cid=59562 on Hollywood Blvd. is great too, and only 10 or 15 minutes away by cab or bus. Other than those two I wouldn't know or recommend anyplace in the immediate area, but these neighborhoods are well-kept and you should be safe.

- Verne

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Ok so I will be tryig to ttend the memorial and may fly....what I need to know is where is the best place to get a hotel...near the airport or somewhere near the cemetery...I have no idea about the area.....it will cost about $350 to fly and that will cost less than the drive...can anyone give me some ideas on this

GAdeathhag Guest
    Please----- please please---- someone bring a freaking camera for the day

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GAdeathhag View Post
    Please----- please please---- someone bring a freaking camera for the day

Ditto - I am so envious - would love to attend!

Kugmu Guest
    Schlitzie’s Day
    Friday, 20 Feb. 2009

Departure will be at 10:00 from Farmers Market in the Fairfax District of LA.
    The following link if from the Dearly Departed Tours page that gives directions, parking info and the meeting location. For those who want to just want to meet and go we’ll see you outside Johnny Rockets.
    Please note the parking fee information at the bottom.
    http://www.dearlydepartedtours.com/D...nglocation.htm

On the bottom of the directions from above is a drawing of Farmers Market. On the lower left side of it you will see below the “JR” the number “6”. That is the location of DuPars restaurant that has one of the best breakfasts in all of LA. We’ll have a meet and greet their for those who want to arrive early for one of LA’s best breakfasts or coffee with our fellow Hags. It would probably be a good idea for the Breakfast folks to arrive by 09:00 to make sure they are finished by 10:00. This is where you’ll find me…
    http://www.du-pars.com/

Hopefully we can meet a few minutes before 10:00 by Johnny Rockets and talk about the transportation to the cemetery. It will take around an hour to get there and an hour to get back. We’ll drive out as a group and hopefully carpool to lessen the number of vehicles going.

Upon arrival we will hold a quick and dignified standing ceremony then head back to LA.

Once back in the downtown area we’ll check out MacArthur Park where Schlitzie spent so much time in his later life. Scott suggested we throw flowers into the parks late and I want to get some balloons and set them free!

After the park, or before the park, we’ll stop at Philippe’s for lunch.
    http://www.philippes.com/
    Here is a nice article about the place:
    http://www.downtownnews.com/articles...ews/news04.txt
    In the article it mentions that the “Paul Eagles Circus Lunch Club” that used to meet in the “Train Room” and there are some circus pictures on the walls. Schlitzie would have attended some of those meetings and had lunch in that very same room. That’s where we’ll enjoy our lunch!

Afterwards we’ll head back to Farmers market and call it a day! I guess it will be around 3:00 when we get back. Both the Farmers Market and the Grove, which is right next door, are well worth a look afterwards.
    http://www.farmersmarketla.com/
    http://www.thegrovela.com/

NOTE - 1: I know many people have already said they were coming but I’d like to start a fresh list starting today. Please state or re-state if you are planing to attend. If this turns into a large group I may give DuPars and Philippe’s a heads up that they are going to be invaded by a bunch of good-hearted Death Hags!

NOTE – 2: There may be some people who can only attend the breakfast or lunch get together. Of course that’s not a problem at all! I’ll post an ETA for Philippe’s later, but please post that you are coming for a ruff head count – all you need to say is Breakfast Only or Lunch Only and how many you are…

I’ll post updates as needed
    Schlitzie’s Day is going to be Great!

Kugmu Guest
    Schlitzie’s Day
    Friday, 20 Feb. 2009

Departure will be at 10:00 from Farmers Market in the Fairfax District of LA.
    The following link if from the Dearly Departed Tours page that gives directions, parking info and the meeting location. For those who want to just want to meet and go we’ll see you outside Johnny Rockets.
    Please note the parking fee information at the bottom.
    http://www.dearlydepartedtours.com/D...nglocation.htm

On the bottom of the directions from above is a drawing of Farmers Market. On the lower left side of it you will see below the “JR” the number “6”. That is the location of DuPars restaurant that has one of the best breakfasts in all of LA. We’ll have a meet and greet their for those who want to arrive early for one of LA’s best breakfasts or coffee with our fellow Hags. It would probably be a good idea for the Breakfast folks to arrive by 09:00 to make sure they are finished by 10:00. This is where you’ll find me…
    http://www.du-pars.com/

Hopefully we can meet a few minutes before 10:00 by Johnny Rockets and talk about the transportation to the cemetery. It will take around an hour to get there and an hour to get back. We’ll drive out as a group and hopefully carpool to lessen the number of vehicles going.

Upon arrival we will hold a quick and dignified standing ceremony then head back to LA.

Once back in the downtown area we’ll check out MacArthur Park where Schlitzie spent so much time in his later life. Scott suggested we throw flowers into the parks late and I want to get some balloons and set them free!

After the park, or before the park, we’ll stop at Philippe’s for lunch.
    http://www.philippes.com/
    Here is a nice article about the place:
    http://www.downtownnews.com/articles...ews/news04.txt
    In the article it mentions that the “Paul Eagles Circus Lunch Club” that used to meet in the “Train Room” and there are some circus pictures on the walls. Schlitzie would have attended some of those meetings and had lunch in that very same room. That’s where we’ll enjoy our lunch!

Afterwards we’ll head back to Farmers market and call it a day! I guess it will be around 3:00 when we get back. Both the Farmers Market and the Grove, which is right next door, are well worth a look afterwards.
    http://www.farmersmarketla.com/
    http://www.thegrovela.com/

NOTE - 1: I know many people have already said they were coming but I’d like to start a fresh list starting today. Please state or re-state if you are planing to attend. If this turns into a large group I may give DuPars and Philippe’s a heads up that they are going to be invaded by a bunch of good-hearted Death Hags!

NOTE – 2: There may be some people who can only attend the breakfast or lunch get together. Of course that’s not a problem at all! I’ll post an ETA for Philippe’s later, but please post that you are coming for a ruff head count – all you need to say is Breakfast Only or Lunch Only and how many you are…

I’ll post updates as needed
    Schlitzie’s Day is going to be Great!

Verne Langdon Guest

You know I'm there!

I'm meeting Kugmu on Friday, February 20, at DUPAR'S at 9AM for those sensational Dupars hot cakes, ham & eggs and fried potatoes. You've never tasted hot cakes 'til you taste DUPAR'S!

And count me in for PHILLIPE'S lunch.

And when the whole day is over, some of us are gonna wrap it up at PINK'S HOT DOGS in Hollywood, CA. Wanna come along?

This - SHLITZE'S DAY - will be "one for the vaults", a memory made by The Memorable.

I'll be there for ALL OF IT, START to FINISH!!!

Hail to Scott Michaels and his F.A.D. Death Hags, of which I am VERY proud to be one of us! (Gooble, gobble!)

See y'all FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20, at 9:00AM at DUPARS in world famous Farmer's Market, Hollywood, California!

- Verne

Two please. My brother and myself.

1 for me, and a guest may tag along on his own.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

SenorMuerto Guest
    I may be down to just 1 attending, I should know this week.