Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Belushi

John Belushi

I got to shake hands with John Belushi, briefly, at the side of the stage during The Who's Face Dances tour at Reuion Arena in Memphis. The Blues Brothers were playing there the next night and I guess he dropped by to see the show.

What a talent. What a waste. Best eye brows in the business.

Damn shame.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    you are a lucky guy to have had the chance to meet John. I still think Animal House is one of the top 5 greatest movies of all time. "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    I got to shake hands with John Belushi, briefly, at the side of the stage during The Who's Face Dances tour at Reuion Arena in Memphis. The Blues Brothers were playing there the next night and I guess he dropped by to see the show.

Damn shame.
    John Belushi was definately a favorite there really was no one like him after..I never fail to laugh at his Samuri scketches on SNL just the way he would raise those eyebrows at the camera!

Both Robin Williams and Robert De Niro visited Belushi the morning he died and left quickly when they saw he was ill. If either had called for help he could have lived (to OD on another day).

erin Guest
    The one thing that i can never forget is a scketch on SNL where he played himself as an old man. he was walking through a grave yard that was the fiunal resting place for all of his costars, saying how sad he felt that he was the only one left. i found it so sad, and so ironic, as he was the first of them to go. for some reason, i can't get that sadness out of my memory.

BetsyBrett Guest
    I just found this on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EnUm_Vne_W8. The Nightline report from the day Belushi died.

Also this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KwfveGTx5xU, part one of six of "Final 24" on John Belushi. The sound is distorted, but the docu is really interesting, so worth suffering through that part. You'll find the links to subsequent parts in Related Videos on the right.

I also liked his movie, Continental Divide. Panned by critics - but it was a pretty good movie - to me!

Danny62 Guest
    I loved him in Animal House.

He told his friends he would die youg.

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing"

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Animal House, one of the best movies ever. Just pure mindless fun and great music and the Dean's wife and hey, it even has a very young Kevin Bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I also liked his movie, Continental Divide. Panned by critics - but it was a pretty good movie - to me!
    I, too, liked Continental Divide. I was impressed at how charming John was as a lead in a romantic comedy.

lynette Guest
    Jenga writes:

Both Robin Williams and Robert De Niro visited Belushi the morning he died and left quickly when they saw he was ill. If either had called for help he could have lived (to OD on another day).

Most sources agree that Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro left BEFORE Kathy Smith gave him the fatal overdose...plus in all likelihood they were coked to the gills when they left. Otherwise you would have to wonder why????

JeffD Guest
    I thought it was hilarious that Belushi would visit his agent to borrow money when he was in LA. Sad though what he used it for.

He was pure comedy. His brother is just mediocre and makes me miss John even more.

The last 24hrs of john belushi was sad in the fact that both Dan Ackroyd & Johns wife knew something was up & couldnt help john... Both were trying to find him & it was sad to see that both of them were still haunted by his passing....

hoxharding Guest
    DeNiro and Williams were there-I don't think they ever talk about it-have they?

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Sounds as if those two were really "great" friends of his...

Continental Divide is one of my favorite movies, he had so much. What a f****** waste.

susalu Guest
    At John's funeral, James Taylor sang the most beautiful song... James wrote it specifically for the funeral, if I recall correctly... It is such a melancholy and appropriate song... I would want this sung at my memorial service... Yes I know I am somewhat maudlin!!!

That Lonesome Road

Walk down that lonesome road all by yourself
    Dont turn your head back over your shoulder
    And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon
    Is shining high above the trees

If I had stopped to listen once or twice
    If I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes
    If I had cooled my head and warmed my heart
    Id not be on this road tonight

Carry on

Never mind feeling sorry for yourself
    It doesnt save you from your troubled mind

Nowereman Guest
    I have no words to describe the loss of John Belushi - Stupid bugger he was for dieing like that.

Daphne Guest
    I was really shocked when he died, anyone remember the Samurai chef skits from SNL back in the day? Also, there was a really eerie piece he did on SNL in retrospect, where he outlived all his cast members and was an old man dancing on their graves in a cemetary...

RichCon Guest

Damn shame.
    John Belushi and Chris Farley. So much talent, with so much to prove to everyone that they died trying.

Luffy66 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Robin Williams has stated that Belushi was the reason that he got himself straight. I think it may have been on "Inside the Actors Studio". He talked a little about it.

Captain Kundalini Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    At John's funeral, James Taylor sang the most beautiful song... James wrote it specifically for the funeral, if I recall correctly... It is such a melancholy and appropriate song... I would want this sung at my memorial service... Yes I know I am somewhat maudlin!!!

That Lonesome Road

If I had stopped to listen once or twice
    If I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes
    If I had cooled my head and warmed my heart
    Id not be on this road tonight

Carry on

Never mind feeling sorry for yourself
    It doesnt save you from your troubled mind

That Lonesome Road

leevancleef Guest
    ive always liked him more than Chris Farley or Phil Hartman.
    He was awesome.

knothere Guest
    Name:  John-belushi-004.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  4.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belushi-grave-12_3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1285

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    Night before actually.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

CCB72 Guest
    I was a big fan of Belushi in Animal House and Blues Brothers but was only 10 years old when he died so I didnt really remember it till years later. What a sad thing. Chris Farley seemed to emulate him to the "T", with the drugs, booze, prostitutes, etc...

I really enjoyed the hell outa Animal House. Many words of wisdom were uttered in the movie.One I try to live by when dealing with humans: " YOU FUCKED UP, YOU TRUSTED US ".
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I read somewhere how they were moving John's body to a different part of the cemeterey he's in, and it had been a few years since the burial. When they dug him out and pulled out the casket, it fell apart and John's body fell out...ewww.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    you are a lucky guy to have had the chance to meet John. I still think Animal House is one of the top 5 greatest movies of all time. "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
    Agreed. Lines and plot and acting, just perfect all around.

A wimp and a blimp!
    Greg, honey, is it supposed to be this soft?

And the one I work into daily conversation, "it works better than the truth."

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I know, Fawn told me.

Suzanne30 Guest
    I read somewhere how they were moving John's body to a different part of the cemeterey he's in, and it had been a few years since the burial. When they dug him out and pulled out the casket, it fell apart and John's body fell out...ewww.

I recall reading the same thing. It probably came from the book "Wired" by Bob Woodward.

desertangel Guest

John Belushi thread???

I wanted to share another vacation photo, only under the John Belushi thread. So I did a search and didn't come up with a thread bearing his name. Figure I'll just put this here because it's not really an "everything else" type of thing, I don't think.

On a recent trip back to L.A./Sunset Strip for some serious partying time, my daughter and I got to meet Mark Wahlberg, Shane West and Jeremy Goldberg. Afterwards, we took a stroll down Sunset Strip. I stumbled up to the Chateau Marmont garage where this guard was on duty. I asked if he would pose for a picture with me and like he'd been asked that same question hundreds of times, he said with a groan "sure, why not." I wanted to poke around and try to go inside the place for a look see, but I was too drunk to look non-chalant.

Merged

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    d.a.: it's so nice to welcome a natural-born death hag to the fold! pics like this are priceless !! nice job, LOVE it !!!

Dylgem22 Guest

Damn shame.

I would have loved to meet Belushi!! I am a lot younger than his "generation" but still .. I loved Animal House and The Blues Brothers as well as the classic episodes of SNL!!

I get a kick out of reading all the old threads from months ago since I am a "newbie"!!

desertangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    d.a.: it's so nice to welcome a natural-born death hag to the fold! pics like this are priceless !! nice job, LOVE it !!!
    heehee... thanks! I had no idea I was a death hag until I kicked up a fuss about the possibility of Jimi Hendrix's bones being buried elsewhere. I found this website in my quest for answers.

So they say the Marmont is a drug den. Guess I'm glad I didn't find my way inside, drunk as I was... who knows what might have happened.

desertangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Merged
    Thank you!

jay Guest
    Dan Aykroyd always called John "America's guest"

A story Dan tells when talking about John

During filming of the Blues Brothers mall chase scens in Harvey, Illinois everyone was taking a break from filming and when it wAs time to resume Belushi was nowhere to be found.

People were searching all through the shopping mall and nearby for John but with no luck, Aykroyd decided to search around some of the nearby homes. Dan approached a home when the owner opened the door and said to come in.

There sleeping on the couch was Belushi, the owner told Aykroyd that there was a knock on his door and when he answered there stood John who proceeded to tell the owner who he was and if he could come in. The owner welcomed John into his home where John made himself a sandwich and a glass of milk then fell asleep on the guys couch.

leevancleef Guest
    ^^Nice story,

jay Guest
    Came across the news broadcast the night Belushi died

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnUm_Vne_W8

Dylgem22 Guest
    this is one guy I really wish had stuck around longer .. he could have made something more of himself .. such a shame to see such comedic talent go to waste because of drugs .. I would have loved to see more of his work!! RIP John!!

Sounds as if those two were really "great" friends of his...
    I read that the reason they left was they didn't like being in the same room with Smith.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

jay Guest
    Danny Aykroyd said in an interview about John that he and John's wife realized John was getting out of control and something had to be done.

Dan planned to fly to Los Angeles and get John away from the drug scene and into rehab. Belushi died the day before Aykroyd planned on flying out. Aykroyd has said he has always regretted that he didn't do anything sooner.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

Dan planned to fly to Los Angeles and get John away from the drug scene and into rehab. Belushi died the day before Aykroyd planned on flying out. Aykroyd has said he has always regretted that he didn't do anything sooner.
    He did a lot in my opinion, he cant blame himself.... i think that Belushi's death was a tragedy, that it could have been avoided, but nobodys to blame.

Somehow I tend to think John wouldn't still be famous these days had he lived. None of the old SNL cast who do movies are "hot" anymore.

One of his last movies was "Continental Divide" - which was panned by critics - altho I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Danny Aykroyd said in an interview about John that he and John's wife realized John was getting out of control and something had to be done.

You can't help someone who won't help their self, and even if Dan had made it in time to get John into rehab, it would not have saved him unless he wanted to be saved.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

fgarvin Guest

John

There is an AMAZING book that came out in the last year or two called "Belushi" that was done by his widow. FILLED with pictures from their private lives, and even better, hundreds and hundreds of anecdotes and stories by people he knew or worked with.

He had been kept straight for awhile with the assistance of a bodyguard named Smokey Wendell who he met through Joe Walsh. His job was essentially to keep Belushi away from drugs. In the book he talks about how people just would come up and hand Belushi coke. He couldn't go anywhere without people sneaking it to him.

Also, if you Google "Belushi ghost" there have been a few run-ins with John since his passing.

jay Guest
    The web page about Belushi's book has a few ghost stories as well

http://belushibook.com/ghost.html

Danny62 Guest
    I think if John would have gotten help sooner he could have beaten his Demons?

Bleedstreet Guest
    I remember when he died...was a hero to me in my teenage stupor days.

Funny guy...

Everyone checks out when they are supposed to....

I think the man or woman upstairs felt John learned what he needed to and it was time to graduate to the next level.....

RIP