Thread: Hedy Lamarr

Vamp Guest

Hedy Lamarr

Hedy Lamarr (November 9, 1913 â?? January 19, 2000)

[edit] Movie career in Hollywood

in Boom Town (1940)

In Hollywood, she was usually cast as glamorous and seductive. Her American debut was in Algiers (1938). Her many films include Boom Town (1940), White Cargo (1942), and Tortilla Flat (1942), based on the novel by John Steinbeck. White Cargo, one of Lamarr's biggest hits at MGM, contains arguably her most famous film quote, "I am Tondelayo". In 1941, she was cast alongside two other Hollywood beauties, Lana Turner and Judy Garland in the musical extravaganza Ziegfeld Girl.
    She made 18 films 1940-1949 even though she had two children during that time (1945, 1947). She left MGM in 1945; Lamarr enjoyed her biggest success as Delilah in Cecil B. DeMille's Samson and Delilah, the highest-grossing film of 1949, with Victor Mature as the Biblical strongman. However, following her comedic turn opposite Bob Hope in My Favorite Spy (1951), her career went into decline. She appeared only sporadically in films after 1950, one of her last roles being that of Joan of Arc in Irwin Allen's critically panned epic The Story of Mankind (1957).
    The publication of her autobiography Ecstasy and Me (1967) took place about a year after accusations of shoplifting, and a year after Andy Warhol's short film Hedy (1966), also known as The Shoplifter. The controversy surrounding the shoplifting charges coincided with an aborted return to the screen in Picture Mommy Dead (1966). The role was ultimately filled by Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Lamarr became a naturalized citizen of the United States on April 10, 1953.

[edit] Frequency-hopped spread spectrum invention

Avant garde composer George Antheil, a son of German immigrants and neighbor of Lamarr, had experimented with automated control of instruments. Together, he and Lamarr submitted the idea of a Secret Communication System in June 1941. On 11 August 1942, U.S. Patent 2,292,387 was granted to Antheil and Hedy Kiesler Markey. This early version of frequency hopping used a piano roll to change between 88 frequencies and was intended to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to detect or jam.
    The idea was impractical, ahead of its time, and not feasible due to the state of mechanical technology in 1942. It was not implemented in the USA until 1962, when it was used by U.S. military ships during a blockade of Cuba,[4] after the patent had expired. Neither Lamarr nor Antheil (who died in 1959) made any money from the patent. Perhaps due to this lag in development, the patent was little-known until 1997, when the Electronic Frontier Foundation gave Lamarr an award for this contribution.[1]
    Lamarr's and Antheil's frequency-hopping idea serves as a basis for modern spread-spectrum communication technology, e.g. CDMA used in devices ranging from cordless telephones to WiFi network connections.[5] Similar patents had been granted to others earlier, like in Germany in 1935 to Telefunken engineers Paul Kotowski and Kurt Dannehl who also received U.S. Patent 2,158,662 and U.S. Patent 2,211,132 in 1939 and 1940.
    Lamarr wanted to join the National Inventors Council, but she was told that she could better help the war effort by using her celebrity status to sell War Bonds. She once raised $7,000,000 at just one event.
    In May 2008, playwright Elyse Singer was slated to premiere a new play in New York City, Frequency Hopping, about Antheil and Lamarr's frequency-hopping invention.

[edit] Death

Lamarr died in Altamonte Springs, Florida (near Orlando) on January 19, 2000. Her son Anthony Loder took her ashes to Vienna and spread them in the Wienerwald, according to her wishes.[6]
    [edit] Marriages

Lamarr was married to:

• Friedrich Mandl (1900â??1977), married 1933â??37; chairman of Hirtenberger Patronen-Fabrik, a leading armaments firm founded by his father, Alexander Mandl. Mandl, partially of Jewish descent, was a supporter of Austrofascism, although not Nazism.
    • Gene Markey (1895-1980), screenwriter and producer, married 1939â??41; son (adopted in 1941, after their divorce), James Lamarr Markey (b. 1939).[9] When Lamarr and Markey divorced â?? she claimed they had only spent four evenings alone together in their marriage â?? the judge advised her to get to know any future husband longer than the four weeks she had known Markey. Previously, he was married to actresses Joan Bennett and Myrna Loy.
    • John Loder (born John Muir Lowe, 1898â??1988), actor, married 1943â??47; two children: Anthony Loder (b. 1947) and Denise Loder (b. 1945). Loder adopted Hedy's son, James Lamarr Markey, and gave him his surname. James Lamarr Loder later challenged Hedy Lamarr's will in 2000, which did not mention him. He later dropped his suit against the estate in exchange for a lump-sum payment of $50,000. Anthony Loder is featured in the 2004 European documentary film "Calling Hedy Lamarr".[6]
    • Ernest "Ted" Stauffer (1909-1991), nightclub owner, restaurateur, and former bandleader, married 1951â??52.
    • W. Howard Lee (1909â??1981), a Texas oilman, married 1953â??60. In 1960, he married film star Gene Tierney.
    • Lewis J. Boies (b. 1920), a lawyer, married 1963â??65. They were divorced after Lamarr claimed he had threatened her with a plastic baseball bat and whiffle ball.[citation needed]

That's Hedley!!!
    Last edited by Fool Moon; 06-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.

somebody had some homespun plastic styrofoam surgery....
    pull the string!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

That's Hedley!!!
    pull the string!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    She tried to re-start her career by re-doing her face and it just didn't
    work out for her.
    She should have aged gracefully by then.

MoonRabbit Guest
    This is how she looked in her prime.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    This is how she looked in her prime.
    Gorgous woman who had trouble ageing and the surgery disfigured her!

MoonRabbit Guest
    There was a video on Utube her son shot of her in her bedroom
    at the age of 82.
    Damn if I can find it.

In 1966 at a press conference after her arrest for shoplifting.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

In 1966 at a press conference after her arrest for shoplifting.
    Hedy once wrote something to the effect that being a STAR meant
    having anything you wanted and anything money could buy. And if
    money couldn't buy it for you there would be a man that would get
    it for you. She maintained that being a STAR was unlike anything
    you could experience.
    I suppose when she lost her STARDOM should would do just
    about anything to try to be a STAR once again, including a
    cruddy face lift.
    She got caught in Florida shoplifting a decade or so later.

King Tut Guest
    At least now I know who it was they were referring to with that running gag in Blazing Saddles! For some kooky reason I had her mixed up in my head with Hedda Hopper!

Jazbabee Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    She tried to re-start her career by re-doing her face and it just didn't
    work out for her.
    She should have aged gracefully by then.
    If this is real and not Photoshopped, it's very tragic !

some rare images of HEDY ...

1933 before MGM'S stylists got ahold of her

with her children Denise & Antony
    at the beach 1958

in court proceedings following her shop lifting arrest
    (doesn't she sort of resemble Lee Grant here ?)

" I am Tondelayo......... "
    WHITE CARGO

TORTILLA FLAT

Wow !!

one more from WHITE CARGO

ANN SOTHERN, HEDY & LINDA DARNALL
    serving guys of our various armed forces
    at The Hollywood Canteen

at her booking arrest

poolside circa 1985

Groucho Marx reviewing Samson and Delilah starring Victor Mature and Hedy Lamar - "Well, there's just one problem. No picture can hold my interest where the leading man's tits are bigger than the leading lady's."

Groucho later stated that he was never asked to attend a screening at Paramount after he made that remark.

slw Guest
    Wasn't she named for Barbara La Marr 'The girl who is too beautiful'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_La_Marr

Mulvaness Guest
    Interesting article on Hedy, without her we would not have wi-fi..
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3ra5b6...dy-lamarr-wifi

Makeup by Nosferatu.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

I remember there was another shoplifting arrest in Florda in 1991 or 92, when she was living near Orlando. I think she stole some eyedrops or something like that from a drugstore, if I'm not mistaken. She was released at the scene, but offers of support and financial assistance came into the Sheriff's office. Her daughter came to her defense, denying that any money problems were the reason for the incident. "My mother is not destitute!" was the quote.

I saw Hedy in a movie a week or so ago - I forget the name, about a woman who married an older man and wanted the son - anyway - omg - she was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful - wow - men must have gone bonkers for her - beautiful face, figure, voice, yowza! Absolutely beautiful - even the pictures I saw about as she got older - still beautiful, wow.
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

In her time, she was rated as one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. She was by far the smartest it would seem.

Thank Christ I have a face like a busted arse. Imagine being so beautiful in your youth, and that your career is based upon that, and every year you see it slowly disappearing.

Talk about death by a thousand cuts.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Ughh! She ended up looking like Louis Gosset Jr in Enemy Mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enemymine4_original.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	49721
    On the plus side she did get fucked by a hot 1980's Dennis Quaid on some alien planet in the distant future 1980's.
    Last edited by ichabodius; 01-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Lets remember her how she was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOWECsFrjs

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Lets remember her how she was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOWECsFrjs
    Yes lets do.....
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

DrDeath Guest
    Ah the beautiful one....

Beautiful lady (but in the video my eyes kept being drawn to her nose holes) I don't know why, they just seemed prominent.

Tis Madame's 101st birthday today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cargo3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	53145

Watched the documentary Calling Hedy Lamarr last night. So beautiful and smart. Every time I use my cell phone I think of her. The money she could have made !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story was recently on of the PBS stations in my area. Check your TV listings, or buy/rent it. Just watch it !!!
    Such a brilliant, creative and inventive mind which most people totally disregarded because they couldn't get past her beautiful face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story was recently on of the PBS stations in my area. Check your TV listings, or buy/rent it. Just watch it !!!
    Such a brilliant, creative and inventive mind which most people totally disregarded because they couldn't get past her beautiful face.
    I have seen it a couple of times now, she had a brilliant mind. She never stopped working on things that we take for granted today. Her son has all her letters, documents and drawings, I would love to see them.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Watched the documentary Calling Hedy Lamarr last night. So beautiful and smart. Every time I use my cell phone I think of her. The money she could have made !

Here's the link to the documentary Calling Hedy Lamarr. Jump ahead to 1:02:00 to see Hedy on film in 1996, comically preening around her living room and bedroom. That scene leads into her son and daughter taking her ashes and scattering them in a scenic wooded area in Vienna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FNP3L4ELSE

Thanks to Hedy, is the reason why we have bluetooth, wifi, and GPS, and cell phones she invented the tech that became the basis for what is mentioned in my post.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 02-01-2022 at 09:49 AM.

A little known secret https://www.forevermissed.com/james-lamarr-loder/about Let the memory of James be with us forever.
    • 84 years old
    • Born on March 6, 1938 in California, United States
    • Passed away on May 25, 2022 in Omaha, Nebraska, United States

This memorial website was created in memory of our loved one, James Loder, 84 years old, born on March 6, 1938, and passed away on May 25, 2022. James Loder, whom Lamarr booted from her home when he was a young boy, is actually the star’s natural son, an investigation in the March issue of Talk magazine says. The Austrian-born Lamarr died in January 2000 at the age of 85 at her home in Orlando, Fla.
    She left between $1 million and $2 million to her two younger kids – Denise and Tony – but cut Loder out of her will completely.
    Lamarr had always referred to James as her adopted child, and when he was 11, she shipped him off to boarding school and seemed to wash her hands of him.
    “The last I saw of my mother as a child would have been when I was about in fifth grade. I tried to write to her, but the letters were returned,” Loder, now 61, tells Talk.
    “Effectively, she just said, ‘You’re no longer my son. Goodbye.'”
    But Loder always felt there was more to his birth than he knew.
    And that hunch was confirmed when he recently tracked down a copy of his birth certificate, which shows he was born as James Lamarr Loder, the magazine says.
    At the time, Lamarr was wed to Gene Markey, but the father was listed as John Loder, who would marry her four years later.