Thread: Groucho Marx: Bill Cosby

onehunglow Guest

Groucho Marx: Bill Cosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIU9gZUPvlI

I remember the death watch on him. His digs were not what I expected. ODD Der Bingle and Bob Hope were doing the same thing and were worth 500 Million or more. Groucho was worth a mil? Wonder why. Did Der Bingle make it another way?

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIU9gZUPvlI
    Groucho was worth a mil? Wonder why. Did Der Bingle make it another way?
    Bing simply had a lot more going for him than Groucho did. Bing was a star on radio, in movies and in chart-topping songs. He also parlayed his earnings into lucrative investments, like co-ownership of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Groucho did some radio work, but his heyday was in films in the 30s and 40s. He did TV in the 50s, but TV wasn't as lucrative as the movies were in those days.

It's not a matter of Bing necessarily being more talented than Groucho, I think it was simply a matter of Bing doing more work in more fields, then making the most of that money.

That being said, I like Groucho far better. If he died with an estate of one million in 1977, I don't think he was doing too bad for himself.

Groucho was brilliant. He was an absolutely brilliant talent.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

it's apples and oranges, isn't it? both were fabulous at what they did.
    l don't want to see Bing doing comedy and l don't want to hear Groucho croon. boy, could Bing croon.

ST moron, your invisible man sig is flippin' funny

Plus, Bing was a big real estate investor. He bought a lot of land in California when it was cheap.

JacksTiger Guest
    Bing Crosby were more savvy investors. Bing invested in "Sno-Crop" which was the forerunner, I believe of Birds-Eye foods when it was a pioneer in the frozen food market. Bob Hope was a big real estate investor. He was also smart enough to get the US government to help pay the expenses for his drearily dull shows 'entertaining' the troops in VietNam.

bing was involved les paul,and they knocked off a captured german reel to reel that recorded on solid metal tape. all this led to Ampeg,but don't know how much bing made out of the deal. i am sure he did'nt get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzx View Post
    Plus, Bing was a big real estate investor. He bought a lot of land in California when it was cheap.
    I remember years ago when someone said how Bing Crosby and Bob
    Hope got rich because they bought up most of the real estate in
    Palm Springs in the 1930s when it was very cheap.