Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog The Bounty Hunter

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I think people need to stop with the holier-than-thou bullshit. He said a bad word in what he thought was a private conversation. If his son wasn't such a money grabbing dick, no one would even know he ever said it. I bet 90% of people on this board, no make that the world, have a said a word, be it the one in question or not, that is equally offensive to at least 1 person, in a private convo. I don't even like the guy, but this is just ridiculous. People just need to get off their high horses and get over it.
    Last edited by SuckMyKiss; 11-10-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Jaxxx Guest
    Bravo !!! well said.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    The Larry King show is on now. This is my first time seeing it. As I said, he made a mistake in believing that he could speak such things.

I say let's forgive, and move on.
    Yep, I agree.

But even if everyone did forgive him and moved on - do you think his show would come back on, would it be as popular anymore? Or do you think everyone would be watching it just to see if he screws up again?

Moral of the story: If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

With my kids, they get in trouble just for saying words like stupid, moron, dumb, fat, and ugly. They would be in serious trouble for anything worse.

If someone says a bad word, it's usually part of their everyday vocabulary. I know this from personal experience, as I used to say very profane and disrespectful things on a regular basis. Once my kids were old enough to understand what I was saying, I had to stop because I didn't want them talking like me. There's a great book that helped me quite a bit:

Cuss Control: The Complete Book on How to Curb Your Cursing by James V O'Connor
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    But even if everyone did forgive him and moved on - do you think his show would come back on, would it be as popular anymore? Or do you think everyone would be watching it just to see if he screws up again?

I think most people are not like that. He does have a real following, that I think can't wait for him to come back.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I looked a my unit this morning while peeing and had an inner monologue
    abut how I was hung like a field...never mind...somebody may sue me for having THOUGHTS

Katie Guest
    Field Mouse?????

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Field Mouse?????
    sub the word "Mice" for "Negro" that's just what I thought at the moment...not that it was valid...just stream of consciouness....will the "thought police" come after me is the larger question

btw, I love Kurt Vonnegut's works too!!
    Last edited by stinkythejokedog; 11-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    I looked a my unit this morning while peeing and had an inner monologue
    abut how I was hung like a field...never mind...somebody may sue me for having THOUGHTS
    Don't know how old you are, but do you remember how much trouble Jimmy Carter got in during an interview in which he said he did lust after other women? He said he has never been unfaithful to his wife, but yes, he did have lust in his heart for other women. I would think this is true of every heterosexual male on earth who isn't dead or in a coma, but he caught a firestorm of criticism when he said it.

So yes, in this day and age, you probably could get sued for having certain thoughts!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Don't know how old you are, but do you remember how much trouble Jimmy Carter got in during an interview in which he said he did lust after other women? He said he has never been unfaithful to his wife, but yes, he did have lust in his heart for other women. I would think this is true of every heterosexual male on earth who isn't dead or in a coma, but he caught a firestorm of criticism when he said it.

So yes, in this day and age, you probably could get sued for having certain thoughts!

I remember that time very well and was lusting in my heart every waking moment over chicks...even Bea Arthur wouldn't have been safe around me at that time...she had a vagina...didn't she???

He is like the male version of Tonya Harding.
    Not so smart.

Irishlass Guest
    I remember that time very well and was lusting in my heart every waking moment over chicks...even Bea Arthur wouldn't have been safe around me at that time...she had a vagina...didn't she???

welllllllllll maybe ....lol my mom use to say bea looked like a man

monhol Guest
    if you are not black, you will never understand. just like if your noy gay or lesbian, you will never understand. just if your not hebrew(jewish) whom may i add talk about the holocoust constantly and have days to commerate it and also get a check from the good ole usa every month for what happened in europe, you will never understand. the n word is a word used to degrade a whole race, the black race. just because black people say it does not give white people the right to say it because they have used it to degrade a whole race. bottom line some of your forefathers caused all this with slavery, jim crow, lynchings, rapes of black woman, white woman also.crying rape when she actually willingly wanted the black penis. blame all your white presidents and other politicians who have ran america since day one. this is all their fault. what they did to blacks back in the day has now came back to haunt their own people generations later. those racist back than sworn blacks would never become more than just a maid, housekeeper, or a baby machine. now what the white people of old have done, now has caused the chickens to come home to roost. i am glad dog, imus and others are finally being punished. it is about time white people and other races are being held accountable for the things they say and do to black people. so don't blame the media, blame the good ole white men of old.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    if you are not black, you will never understand. just like if your noy gay or lesbian, you will never understand. just if your not hebrew(jewish) whom may i add talk about the holocoust constantly and have days to commerate it and also get a check from the good ole usa every month for what happened in europe, you will never understand. the n word is a word used to degrade a whole race, the black race. just because black people say it does not give white people the right to say it because they have used it to degrade a whole race. bottom line some of your forefathers caused all this with slavery, jim crow, lynchings, rapes of black woman, white woman also.crying rape when she actually willingly wanted the black penis. blame all your white presidents and other politicians who have ran america since day one. this is all their fault. what they did to blacks back in the day has now came back to haunt their own people generations later. those racist back than sworn blacks would never become more than just a maid, housekeeper, or a baby machine. now what the white people of old have done, now has caused the chickens to come home to roost. i am glad dog, imus and others are finally being punished. it is about time white people and other races are being held accountable for the things they say and do to black people. so don't blame the media, blame the good ole white men of old.
    Honey, You need to join us here in this century. It's it time we move beyond what happened 100's of year ago, and deal with today's problems?

We will never get anywhere if we keep bringing up the past.

Did you know that being racist works both ways?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    and blame African tribes who captured other tribes and sold them to the
    Europeans...must be a burden to be a victim your entire life

Ruffian Guest
    I don't know any Jews who get a check every month from the government. What's that all about????

Um....I'm Irish. My grandparents are immigrants. Wanna talk about that history? (Call me a Mick and I'll wanna kiss ya. But seriously, there are a LOT of peoples who have been persecuted or oppressed, but most people seem to move on and live in the present.

I hate to say it, but I will...

Blame the white people also, since they've been imitating black people for years now.

They've imitated their music, clothing, and way of speaking all these years.

If you live in a "'hood" in your area, check out how many white boys out there listen to rap music, throw gang hand signs around, drive cars that black people do, dress like rap stars (the black ones), and talk as if they were born as a black person.

All this wanabee crap has come to a head finally, and just when white boys think they can get away with so much, they push the envelope by saying the N-word, thinking it's okay...apparently it isn't.

monhol Guest
    Honey, You need to join us here in this century. It's it time we move beyond what happened 100's of year ago, and deal with today's problems?

We will never get anywhere if we keep bringing up the past.

Did you know that being racist works both ways?
    we all knows it all works both ways and i am in the furture hon. the white man's past has come back to haunt him and bite him in this ass. don't get mad because the truth has finally been told hon. the chickens have come home roost. what was done in the past has a direct affect on the future no one expected that. like i said you will never understand. racismt against blacks still exist hundreds of years later. lynchings of blacks still exist. blacks are still being railroaded in the courts. but not oj, his rich peers got him of. i see racism everyday. on the street and at work. if you have never experienced racism you will never understand and if your ass isn't black then you will never in your life understand.

Ruffian Guest
    we all knows it all works both ways and i am in the furture hon. the white man's past has come back to haunt him and bite him in this ass. don't get mad because the truth has finally been told hon. the chickens have come home roost. what was done in the past has a direct affect on the future no one expected that. like i said you will never understand. racismt against blacks still exist hundreds of years later. lynchings of blacks still exist. blacks are still being railroaded in the courts. but not oj, his rich peers got him of. i see racism everyday. on the street and at work. if you have never experienced racism you will never understand and if your ass isn't black then you will never in your life understand.
    My grandparents didn't come to this country until well after slavery was abolished. So...are you lumping all us white people together? Isn't that racism?

monhol Guest
    and blame African tribes who captured other tribes and sold them to the
    Europeans...must be a burden to be a victim your entire life
    yes dear weall know that the blacks did help the white man put blacks in to slavery but the white man keept them there. lets all stop this bullcrap and look at the big picture, white people have been doing things to blacks for generations and have gotten away with it. hate your forfathers who set all this in motion. hell i say white folks need to be held accountable for what was done. i do not feel sorry for dog. he got what he deserved. if it was a black person all hell would have broken lose. but check it out slavery taught black folks not to talk shit about the white establishment and get caught. dumb ass dog. see blacks knew they would be lynched. see dog thought nothing would happen to him because he thought his white establishment would save that ass. not. i am not a victim. just someone who sees that that the past has come back to haunt another generation.

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    My grandparents didn't come to this country until well after slavery was abolished. So...are you lumping all us white people together? Isn't that racism?
    no i am not lumping all white people together america has done it for you. again get angry at the people in the past who set all this in motion. nobody said your grandparents had anything to do with slavery. dog may not have had a family member who had anything to do with slavery. as we all know america lumps all blacks and whites together. if you look black then you are black. if you look white you are white. you know what is happening.

Ruffian Guest
    See, I see a little differently. There's ugly history throughout this world, but you can't keep living in the ugliness of it because we're not there anymore! You LEARN from history, you don't LIVE in it. The people responsible aren't there anymore. It was a different time; different thoughts; different way of life. I would think people would be happier in putting it behind them and grasping at the opportunities this country has to offer instead holding on to anger.

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I will...

Blame the white people also, since they've been imitating black people for years now.

They've imitated their music, clothing, and way of speaking all these years.

If you live in a "'hood" in your area, check out how many white boys out there listen to rap music, throw gang hand signs around, drive cars that black people do, dress like rap stars (the black ones), and talk as if they were born as a black person.

All this wanabee crap has come to a head finally, and just when white boys think they can get away with so much, they push the envelope by saying the N-word, thinking it's okay...apparently it isn't.
    okay . now i really know what i am dealing with. i do not live in the hood. what kind of cars do black people drive?? white people have gangs also. the aryan brotherhood and the kkk. how do rap stars dress?? oh so a throw back jersey is only for rappers?? saggy pants only for rappers??check this out everyone saggy pants came from prison and it meant a man was spoken for by another male. so can you imagine how many people, black white and all have saggy pants in prison?? alot of people do not know where the saggy pants thing came from. if they did they may reconsider. how do black people talk?? is it a certain way?? school me i am not familiar. elvis presley imitated black people and stole their songs and got rich off them. white people have hoods also. all white folks do not have money just like all blacks are not poor. this topic has really brought out the racist in alot of my fellow death hags. i had a feeling awhile back but kept it to myself. i thought i was going to enjoy this site but i don't think so. it was good while it lasted.

monhol Guest
    See, I see a little differently. There's ugly history throughout this world, but you can't keep living in the ugliness of it because we're not there anymore! You LEARN from history, you don't LIVE in it. The people responsible aren't there anymore. It was a different time; different thoughts; different way of life. I would think people would be happier in putting it behind them and grasping at the opportunities this country has to offer instead holding on to anger.
    you are right. but that is not how america sees it. white people are and have tried to make up for the past. the past is the past correct but that is why we are here today and it will never stop. yes you learn from history and that is why dog lost his show. history is why dog and imus and other people are being held accountable for what happened years ago. it's called guilt. and decent people, black ,white and all do not want to be pegged as racist. if you truly are not. racism still exist and it will never stop. now people do it on the "sneak tip" as WE BLACK people say. pun was definetly intended. no one is angry. i am just telling the truth. like my mother aways said GUILT is a mother fuc@#@.

Ruffian Guest
    okay . now i really know what i am dealing with. i do not live in the hood. what kind of cars do black people drive?? white people have gangs also. the aryan brotherhood and the kkk. how do rap stars dress?? oh so a throw back jersey is only for rappers?? saggy pants only for rappers??check this out everyone saggy pants came from prison and it meant a man was spoken for by another male. so can you imagine how many people, black white and all have saggy pants in prison?? alot of people do not know where the saggy pants thing came from. if they did they may reconsider. how do black people talk?? is it a certain way?? school me i am not familiar. elvis presley imitated black people and stole their songs and got rich off them. white people have hoods also. all white folks do not have money just like all blacks are not poor. this topic has really brought out the racist in alot of my fellow death hags. i had a feeling awhile back but kept it to myself. i thought i was going to enjoy this site but i don't think so. it was good while it lasted.
    The baggy pants look....hanging off one's ass....did indeed come from prison, but not because they were spoken for. It was because they're not allowed to wear belts in prison. Ya know...the suicide thing.

I am really surprised you would say your fellow death hags are racist. This is called discussion.......intelligent discourse is the cornerstone of philosophy and ethics. Without it, we'd be nowhere. We should welcome the discussion and learn and understand......not JUDGE someone for contributing to that discussion.

What songs did Elvis steal? He liked the blues style and that's what he was good at...that's what he was raised on. Now it's a bad thing? And again, what Jews get a check from the government and for what?

Let me just ask you something, please. Since history cannot be changed, what do you want done? Do you want people to feel guilty forever or do something else or what? I personally find this discussion fascinating; I would hope you can, too.
    Last edited by Ruffian; 11-12-2007 at 08:48 PM.

The baggy pants look....hanging off one's ass....did indeed come from prison, but not because they were spoken for. It was because they're not allowed to wear belts in prison. Ya know...the suicide thing.

I am really surprised you would say your fellow death hags are racist. This is called discussion.......intelligent discourse is the cornerstone of philosophy and ethics. Without it, we'd be nowhere. We should welcome the discussion and learn and understand......not JUDGE someone for contributing to that discussion.

What songs did Elvis steal? He liked the blues style and that's what he was good at...that's what he was raised on. Now it's a bad thing? And again, what Jews get a check from the government and for what?

Let me just ask you something, please. Since history cannot be changed, what do you want done? Do you want people to feel guilty forever or do something else or what? I personally find this discussion fascinating; I would hope you can, too.
    So how did this thread start out with Dog the Bounty Hunter and end up here?

Ruffian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    So how did this thread start out with Dog the Bounty Hunter and end up here?
    It's like playing telephone....or my marriage. My hubby can ask what's for dinner and I'll wind up with why is his brother such an jerk.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    you are right. but that is not how america sees it. white people are and have tried to make up for the past. the past is the past correct but that is why we are here today and it will never stop. yes you learn from history and that is why dog lost his show. history is why dog and imus and other people are being held accountable for what happened years ago. it's called guilt. and decent people, black ,white and all do not want to be pegged as racist. if you truly are not. racism still exist and it will never stop. now people do it on the "sneak tip" as WE BLACK people say. pun was definetly intended. no one is angry. i am just telling the truth. like my mother aways said GUILT is a mother fuc@#@.
    Dear One,

I don't worry for a second about making up for the past...can't change it...so why feel guilty about it? I'm also proud of my European ancestry

The dawg is gawn me thinks
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Katie Guest
    As long as a racist keeps bringing up the past, the longer it will take to make things right in the world.

Many people use what happened so long ago, to justify their short comings today. It is a fact that every child, no matter what color has the opportunity to learn, and education is the key to success.

Kellycatt1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I'm completely flat-chested, so it's difficult for me to imagine all this, but how can Beth even get AROUND with those enormous breasts of hers?? Doesn't her back hurt? Sometimes it looks like she can barely get behind the wheel of her own car! I mean really: don't those things get in the way? And what kind of bra can hold it all in? It's got to be an industrial strength bra with about 18 hooks up the back!
    Ok so though I am not as blessed in the breast department, my sister is(i have been so cheated in this department in my family) and she is in constant back pain, as for the bra she has to have hers made just for her. Can't remember the exact price, but needless to say I can buy like 5 for the price she has to pay for one. Industrial is about the right phrase.

Guest Guest
    I don't know any Jews who get a check every month from the government. What's that all about????

Um....I'm Irish. My grandparents are immigrants. Wanna talk about that history? (Call me a Mick and I'll wanna kiss ya. But seriously, there are a LOT of peoples who have been persecuted or oppressed, but most people seem to move on and live in the present.
    no check here! where's my money!!!!

Guest Guest
    [quote=monhol;48023]yes dear weall know that the blacks did help the white man put blacks in to slavery but the white man keept them there.

and I do believe it was a few different white men and women who got it to stop!

As a descendent of a fine woman who was conceived on a plantation by her "master" I have a few things to say to you....racism does go both ways and worse yet I have witnessed in the black community their own sort of racism based on skin color...deny it!? You know that's true..I cannot even acknowledge my heritage to anyone that obviously is black without some RACIST commentary about how my blood was tainted and I have no right to acknowledge my family history because my skin is TOO WHITE! I'm all for the end of racism and bigotry in this country but in all shapes and forms..and FYI too much blood was spilled for ANYONE to be saying the N word even the "darker skinned" obviously black African Americans...and let me tell you something else...I have asked my friends that use that word with one another if they would use it around their mother's or worse yet their Grandmothers...and they all said HELL NO! Gramma would beat my ass!

Bottom line is this...REGARDLESS of who uses it...it is degrading, it is a hurtful hateful word...you need to stop justifying it on any level and get down off your "all white people did this" trip...I wasn't there and neither were you...and FYI the other half of my family is Jewish and holocaust survivors existed within that group and NOT A ONE ever received a check from any government let alone the USA...the only "race" I know of that does are the Native Americans and rightfully so!

and on that note

VOTE OBAMA 08'
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2007 at 01:15 PM.

SugarKane Guest

Exclamation An honest picture....

okay...I need to step in here and say a few things. It is appalling to me that so many posts are arguing that racism/slavery/overt discrimination happened a long time ago, and people need to get over it and move on. One poster went as far to comment that all people have equal access to education and opportunity, so racism is no longer an issue.

I am white, and of course I do not want to recklessly place undue blame upon white people. However, it is time that we, as a society, acknowledge what centuries of racism/discrimination/oppression has done to the Black race. First, what we did to blacks was not that far in the past:

-During my grandparents generation Blacks were lynched without trial, without jury, without justice. Just lynched. And, FYI a lynching was not simply a hanging. Hundreds of people would gather for a lynching to watch the victim being tortured. There are various pictures and recorded accounts of the lynching victim being burned, tarred & feathered, cork screws being used to tear out flesh, and fingers & ears being cut off and passed to the crowd as a prize. This was 70 years ago, and it is only a representation of the lack of rights/opportunities/privileges that Blacks had.

- During my parents generation Blacks could not go to the same schools, bathrooms, restaurants, etc as Whites. Although it was supposed to be "separate but equal," the courts have since recognized that separate is inherently unequal -- there was no chance that an all black anything was going to be given the same resources as the all white counterpart. This took away the Black opportunity to progress and succeed in society, and only the unique few were able to do so (and yes, in response to a poster above, with the help of white advocates). Also during this time, Blacks did not have the same rights to marry or to live in certain upper class residential areas. As a direct result of this past residential discrimination has grown today's predominantly minority low income neighborhoods that have a complete lack of resources.

- During my generation, while things have improved from the above, similar discrimination is certainly not a thing of the past. Just think about the war on drugs where 5 oz. of crack (low income drug) was given a harsher penalty than 500 oz. of cocaine (rich drug). This, in part with many other factors (think, "driving while black"), has led to a disproportionate rate of incarceration for Black males? Furthermore, the low-income, predominantly minority school systems are a mess. Nine-year-olds growing up in low-income communities are already three grade levels behind their peers in high-income communities.Half of them won't graduate from high school by the time they're 18. Those who do graduate will, on average, read and do math at the level of eighth graders in high-income communities. Only 1 in 10 will graduate from college. How does this represent a society where people have equal opportunity.

So while I clearly have a lot to say on this topic, I am going to stop here (if anyone is still reading). But my point is, not to blame any particular white person and not to take away the significance of discrimination faced by other groups, including whites. My hope is to encourage everyone to at least recognize the CURRENT struggle facing minorities. Racism is not over. "Moving beyond" slavery will not force it to be over. But an open conversation, without jumping to the defense game to deny responsibility, will hopefully inspire discriminated minorities to understand their voices have been heard, and we as a nation are working towards change and a more equal society.

Ruffian Guest
    Sugarkane, with all due respect, we all know what happened. We could argue until the cows come home that the same thing happened to most immigrants when they came here. The Irish and the Italians lived in slums and were treated like garbage. Through strong families and hard work, many of them overcame their plight. There comes a point where personal responsibility comes into play. You spoke of schools in low income communities. Are they not being taught the same? Are their teachers incompetent? How many success stories are there and what did they do differently? What are the community leaders focusing on?

FWIW, there will always be discrimination of some sort. Jews; fat people; ugly people; handicapped; single mothers; geeks, people who shop at Walmart......you name it. IMO, you do have to move from the past and take responsibility for yourself.

Katie Guest
    I meant no disrespect, but everyone has to move on. The racist you have today is contributed to Blacks throwing in the faces of the whites about the past.

It is definitely time for everyone to take responsibility for themselves, get a good education, and move up in the world like everyone else.

Words spoken is not the most important problem!!!

SugarKane Guest
    Sugarkane, with all due respect, we all know what happened. We could argue until the cows come home that the same thing happened to most immigrants when they came here. The Irish and the Italians lived in slums and were treated like garbage. Through strong families and hard work, many of them overcame their plight. There comes a point where personal responsibility comes into play. You spoke of schools in low income communities. Are they not being taught the same? Are their teachers incompetent? How many success stories are there and what did they do differently? What are the community leaders focusing on?

FWIW, there will always be discrimination of some sort. Jews; fat people; ugly people; handicapped; single mothers; geeks, people who shop at Walmart......you name it. IMO, you do have to move from the past and take responsibility for yourself.
    No we cannot say the same thing happened to most immigrants. Most immigrants were not torn from their homeland and forced to come here. Both the Irish and Italians came to the U.S. voluntarily. Furthermore, it was harder to discriminate against them for many generations because it was harder to distinguish who they were. And you're right to an extent...the newly immigrated Irish and Italians used to be treated the same, and there were even instances where they teamed up with black slaves. this frightened the white leaders, and that is why laws were passed that prevented blacks from marrying and interacting with whites. this gave new rights to the light skinned immigrants so they did not have to face the oppression faced in the future by those immigrants with dark skin.

As to low income schools, they most certainly are not being taught the same. For instance, my friend teaches in Detroit and her school has NO HEATER. Do you really think that a child with no heat in the middle of Michigan is learning the same as a child that has heat? that is a basic human need not being met --- not to mention the lack of books, computers, etc they are faced with. even the most competent teacher in the world could not overcome this. Furthermore, our schools are funded based off property taxes from the community. this makes the residential segregation that existed very recently even more relevant -- because of our discrimination blacks were forced to live in certain neighborhoods and were not given education or job opportunities to progress. thus they had less money. thus their houses cost less. many families are still in these neighborhoods, and their schools are getting significantly less money than the upper-class white schools. This directly impacts education and is in NO WAY the same as the white school experience. And while there are success stories, my father is one, these are anecdotes -- not the rule, and many varieties of factors may have impacted individual success.

finally, Is the fact that there is always discrimination really a good excuse? Are you taking responsibility for yourself when you say move on? I am asking you to do the same thing that you are asking of a whole race of people -- accept responsibility to aid in the recovery process. Why can't you do that?

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarKane View Post
    No we cannot say the same thing happened to most immigrants. Most immigrants were not torn from their homeland and forced to come here. Both the Irish and Italians came to the U.S. voluntarily. Furthermore, it was harder to discriminate against them for many generations because it was harder to distinguish who they were. And you're right to an extent...the newly immigrated Irish and Italians used to be treated the same, and there were even instances where they teamed up with black slaves. this frightened the white leaders, and that is why laws were passed that prevented blacks from marrying and interacting with whites. this gave new rights to the light skinned immigrants so they did not have to face the oppression faced in the future by those immigrants with dark skin.

As to low income schools, they most certainly are not being taught the same. For instance, my friend teaches in Detroit and her school has NO HEATER. Do you really think that a child with no heat in the middle of Michigan is learning the same as a child that has heat? that is a basic human need not being met --- not to mention the lack of books, computers, etc they are faced with. even the most competent teacher in the world could not overcome this. Furthermore, our schools are funded based off property taxes from the community. this makes the residential segregation that existed very recently even more relevant -- because of our discrimination blacks were forced to live in certain neighborhoods and were not given education or job opportunities to progress. thus they had less money. thus their houses cost less. many families are still in these neighborhoods, and their schools are getting significantly less money than the upper-class white schools. This directly impacts education and is in NO WAY the same as the white school experience. And while there are success stories, my father is one, these are anecdotes -- not the rule, and many varieties of factors may have impacted individual success.

finally, Is the fact that there is always discrimination really a good excuse? Are you taking responsibility for yourself when you say move on? I am asking you to do the same thing that you are asking of a whole race of people -- accept responsibility to aid in the recovery process. Why can't you do that?
    Why in God's name has not someone gone to the press about a cold classroom?

Ruffian Guest
    N

I'm not exactly sure of what you're specifically asking me to do....and what exactly are you accusing me of not doing?

Katie Guest
    This sounds like the mule and 40 acres. Is that what you mean?

SugarKane Guest
    I'm not exactly sure of what you're specifically asking me to do....and what exactly are you accusing me of not doing?
    You seem to think that it is a good argument to say (I will paraphrase): "Slavery happened a long time ago, so it is no longer a good excuse for black people to say that their current condition was caused by slavery. They thus should move on (implying that any lack of success is only the fault of their own actions)."

Yet, you want to argue with me about very recent racism, without taking your own advice to say something like, "I accept that racism is still alive today and that it directly impacts the ability of blacks to achieve the same successes as whites."

Perhaps this is why black people are so offended when whites use the N-word -- it is used very differently by blacks who share a similar plight than by whites who refuse to accept the modern day struggle of blacks in the U.S. (although i don't think anyone should use it). In this way, your simple acknowledgment and then moving on with the day (instead of insisting that nothing as bad as slavery exists so it ain't all that bad today) can aid in society rehabilitation. I think that even after you acknowledge then you can have add whatever you want to...even that people should move on... and it will have more credibility and depth.

Although acknowledgement may seem silly to you, have you every really tried to communicate something and not had your voice heard? Possibly one of the most frustrating things in the world. Or, have you ever had someone disrespect you then try to give you advice? It is not easy to hear what comes after the disrespect...we tend to stop there and not get to the advice.

I guess ultimately it is just confusing to me why whites won't acknowledge racism and its impact and instead feel the need to be so defensive about it.

SugarKane Guest
    This sounds like the mule and 40 acres. Is that what you mean?
    No, I think that we are passed the stage for anything like this to work for african americans due to logistic reasons. Although reparations have worked in the past when it was used closer to the time of the injustice, for instance, people who received money as reparation for Japanese internment will often explain it was the action, not the actual money that was meaningful -- the sense that there was an apology and there was an acknowledgment of the wrong doing. I think that we can't give money to blacks, but we should repay through acknowledgment in other ways...i.e. our words and actions and legislation.

Katie Guest
    No, I think that we are passed the stage for anything like this to work for african americans due to logistic reasons. Although reparations have worked in the past when it was used closer to the time of the injustice, for instance, people who received money as reparation for Japanese internment will often explain it was the action, not the actual money that was meaningful -- the sense that there was an apology and there was an acknowledgment of the wrong doing. I think that we can't give money to blacks, but we should repay through acknowledgment in other ways...i.e. our words and actions and legislation.
    But that has been done for many years now. I 'm not sure how much longer this should go on.

I am an educator. I have this same attitude with some of my AA students. They say why learn, because we will get what we want in the end.

I say, learn, so nothing is given, unless earned. All of my black teachers agree.

There is racism in the states, still. It will continue until the attitudes change for the better. That is from every side, not just white.

Jaxxx Guest
    So..................anyone think Dog is going to come back??????????? just trying to lighten up whatever the hell is going on upabove here.

SugarKane Guest
    Katie --

I think I agree with you, but I am not quite sure...

- what has been done for many years now? (if you're referring to acknowledgment/legislation maybe you can give examples...)
    - what do your students mean when they say "we get what we want in the end"

I agree with the rest that you have to say

Katie Guest
    Katie --

I think I agree with you, but I am not quite sure...

- what has been done for many years now? (if you're referring to acknowledgment/legislation maybe you can give examples...)
    - what do your students mean when they say "we get what we want in the end"

I agree with the rest that you have to say
    Sugar Cane,

You and I are probably on the same page. What the kids mean is welfare, food stamps, just making ends meet. What I want for them is to quit making excuses, and take advantage of all the rules and regulations provided for them, by whites, if you want to put it that way, that guarantee them equality in this country.

If they continue with a hand out, they will get no where in this world, except down on the bottom, taking every job they can get, that no one would have.

With education they have the world in their hands. If they expect that mule and 40 acres, they will be begging for life.

Ruffian Guest
    Yet, you want to argue with me about very recent racism, without taking your own advice to say something like, "I accept that racism is still alive today and that it directly impacts the ability of blacks to achieve the same successes as whites."
    First of all, I'm not here to argue. It's a discussion as far as I'm concerned. As far as what you want me to say, um....I said basically that a few pages back. However, it's not a blanket statement. I believe in "some" cases, as a result of racism "some" blacks have not been able to achieve the same successes. As for the others, they can't use racism as an excuse and shouldn't.

Although acknowledgement may seem silly to you, have you every really tried to communicate something and not had your voice heard? Possibly one of the most frustrating things in the world. Or, have you ever had someone disrespect you then try to give you advice? It is not easy to hear what comes after the disrespect...we tend to stop there and not get to the advice.
    Sure. This thread, for example.
    I guess ultimately it is just confusing to me why whites won't acknowledge racism and its impact and instead feel the need to be so defensive about it.

You're not listening/reading. Racism exists and permeates all areas of society, not just the black society. I can't say that I've ever heard someone say racism doesn't exist. In the end, if people want to use history as an excuse or a segment of society as an excuse for their woes, that's their business. I prefer to move on. We can agree to disagree.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    [quote=Katie;45073]I have not seen any posts that asked people if they were gay or straight. I would hope that information like that would be kept to themselves, unless the question came up.

AND WHY IS THAT KATIE?? PERHAPS BECAUSE IN YOUR PERFECT LITTLE WORLD GLBT PEOPLE SHOULDN'T EXIST?

Katie Guest
    Who are you, and why have you gone to all my posts attacking me.

Everyone I open, you are either reading something in my post that isn't there, or you are just simply assuming things.