Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley

kid Guest

Katie Guest
    How is the neighborhood around the Lorraine Motel. Is it safe to walk around? I would love to see that museum.

I have not been to Graceland, yet, but hope to go one of these days.

I miss Elvis, and wish people would stop all the conspiracy things.

What matters was he was a great entertainer, and this generation will never have the experience that we had.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    How is the neighborhood around the Lorraine Motel. Is it safe to walk around? I would love to see that museum.

I have not been to Graceland, yet, but hope to go one of these days.

I miss Elvis, and wish people would stop all the conspiracy things.

What matters was he was a great entertainer, and this generation will never have the experience that we had.
    I visited Graceland and the Lorraine Motel in 1996. Although I did not feel threatened or scared during the time I was there, you can see it is a bad neighborhood. Although Elvis neighborhood is pretty bad too.

I have that same postcard that kid posted!

Back to the Lorraine, I remember standing to look at Kings room (which is in glass) and looking over to that buliding where the shots came from. It was abandoned at that time. Anyone know is it still there? Or have they torn it down?

King was shot one month before I was born.

lisalouver Guest
    Added-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Motel

Looks like in 2001 they added the rooming house that I was just talking about to the tour!

Now I want to go back!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I visited Graceland and the Lorraine Motel in 1996. Although I did not feel threatened or scared during the time I was there, you can see it is a bad neighborhood. Although Elvis neighborhood is pretty bad too.

I have that same postcard that kid posted!

Back to the Lorraine, I remember standing to look at Kings room (which is in glass) and looking over to that buliding where the shots came from. It was abandoned at that time. Anyone know is it still there? Or have they torn it down?

King was shot one month before I was born.
    The Civil Rights Museum is both in The Lorainne and the building across the street. You can tour the room where the fatal shot was fired.

You wouldn't want to be hanging out in the neighborhood near Graceland after dark. It's all "ghetto" out there!

And yes, you'll be singing Elvis' song "In the Ghetto" while driving to Graceland!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    You wouldn't want to be hanging out in the neighborhood near Graceland after dark. It's all "ghetto" out there!

And yes, you'll be singing Elvis' song "In the Ghetto" while driving to Graceland!
    TRUE! Pretty much anywhere outside of "DownTown" is ghetto...except Germantown. Still...I LOVE Memphis. EPE is trying to turn the whole Graceland area into a Disney type destination. I wouldn't want to stay there...I like The Madison!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    The Civil Rights Museum is both in The Lorainne and the building across the street. You can tour the room where the fatal shot was fired.
    Thanks, I added another post after I looked at Wiki. The rooming house building was added to the tour in 2001. I was there in 1996. Makes me want to go back.

Also - I am curious as to who owned that building and how the Civil Rights Museum was able to obtain it?

magblax Guest
    Thanks, I added another post after I looked at Wiki. The rooming house building was added to the tour in 2001. I was there in 1996. Makes me want to go back.

Also - I am curious as to who owned that building and how the Civil Rights Museum was able to obtain it?

I believe that the building (boarding house) was annexed by the Museum. That whole area is/was falling apart. The original Lorainne was purchased by a man who represented The Civil Rights Movement (not sure the name of the organization). If he wouldn't have purchased it the developers were planning on razing the building for commercial space.

lisalouver Guest
    I believe that the building (boarding house) was annexed by the Museum. That whole area is/was falling apart. The original Lorainne was purchased by a man who represented The Civil Rights Movement (not sure the name of the organization). If he wouldn't have purchased it the developers were planning on razing the building for commercial space.
    Whew! Glad they were able to save it. Mag - or anyone - has anyone toured the boarding house?

magblax Guest
    Whew! Glad they were able to save it. Mag - or anyone - has anyone toured the boarding house?

I have toured it twice. The whole Museum is impacting and weel worth the visit! The boarding house remains pretty much frozen in time (the shooter's room), sort of like Martin Luther King's room at The Lorainne. The boarding house also goes more into the conspiracy theories and hope for the future of Civil Rights.
    Memphis is more than just Elvis! Love the town.

lisalouver Guest
    I have toured it twice. The whole Museum is impacting and weel worth the visit! The boarding house remains pretty much frozen in time (the shooter's room), sort of like Martin Luther King's room at The Lorainne. The boarding house also goes more into the conspiracy theories and hope for the future of Civil Rights.
    Memphis is more than just Elvis! Love the town.
    Well I will be going back then. I was there for Elvis and the Lorraine over 10 years ago.

Maybe take a trip in the fall. WAY too hot in Memphis in the summer!

magblax Guest
    Well I will be going back then. I was there for Elvis and the Lorraine over 10 years ago.

Summer is brutal! You should go back for sure! I am going this Spring or Fall. I want to check out Stax Studio this time. The American Safari Tour is THE BEST! You can take the Elvis Tour (one of them take you to Tupelo) and a variety of others (in a private vintage Caddie). I want to do the Juke Tour next time.

lisalouver Guest
    Summer is brutal! You should go back for sure! I am going this Spring or Fall. I want to check out Stax Studio this time. The American Safari Tour is THE BEST! You can take the Elvis Tour (one of them take you to Tupelo) and a variety of others (in a private vintage Caddie). I want to do the Juke Tour next time.
    Spring is nice too there! I would love to take that tour that takes you to Tupelo. I have never been there either. What is the Juke Tour?

magblax Guest
    Spring is nice too there! I would love to take that tour that takes you to Tupelo. I have never been there either. What is the Juke Tour?

Takes you out at night on a tour of Blues Halls/ Juke Joints. I don't know if I'm allowed to give you the link here or not...but you can Google "American Dream Safari".

lisalouver Guest
    Takes you out at night on a tour of Blues Halls/ Juke Joints. I don't know if I'm allowed to give you the link here or not...but you can Google "American Dream Safari".
    Hey thanks for that! Sounds really interesting, I am off to google!!!

PS your lettuce head gets me every time I look at it!!!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest

yeah I was there in june about a year or so ago and it is sweltering. However Feb. in Memphis is pretty good, lol. I only live a coupla hours away, well kinda take it for granted...

Shano Guest
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...ighlight=Shano

Here is the link to the Coretta Scott King thread on the boards, and what I thought about going to the Civil Rights Museum with my family.

For a year now my husband and I have been planning a trip to Memphis for a club that we are in. I think I now know more about Memphis than I ever wanted to!!

Sun Studio is great! John the owner really goes out of his way to accomadate groups (keep that in mind if taking a group!) and to be in the spot where Elvis got his start is amazing! I highly recommend the Platinum Tour of Graceland... you get to see everything. Go in the morning at the first time slot (9am) and you won't have as big a problem with the crowds.

I loved the Memphis Rock and Soul Museum! Ike and Tina artifacts were great to see along with one of the original Band Stands from American Band Stand.

The areas around all of the hot spots are a bit blighted but I have to say I have never felt uncomfortable at all no matter the time of day. And for one town to have all of that death hag history it is worth going though the bad areas to get to the goods!

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    This pic of Priszilla Presley was taken last month at the Led Zeppelin reunion concert. I think she uses Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon.

I am not to sure that is really her. It looks more like a wax museum dummy.

Noelle Page Guest
    Jesus, Priscilla. Why? She had beautiful features. How bad would it have been to age naturally?

Linda Thompson wrecked herself, too.

And I'll bet if Elvis were alive, he'd be doing it too.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 01-22-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Ughhhhh! She looks like that "Cat Lady Weildenstien" chic! You know the one who wanted to look like her cats! =) Why people do this to themselves is beyond me. I can understand a little nip here and little tuck there, but know when to say WHEN!
    My Posse's On Broadway

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OCEANLIGHTS View Post
    Took the Graceland tour and loved every minute of it. Have to admit I had a kind of eerie feeling when I first walked in..as soon as you walk in you see the stairs leading to his bedroom, the dining room on the left and the living room to the right. The tour of the house was cool....till we went outside where he and his parents were buried. Again that eerie feeling..
    If I remember correctly, when you walk in the house you are standing directly below where he died.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest

elvis was here last week i saw him

so i search the forum and couldnt find anything on this subject but if there already is im sorry i did look

i dont know much about the whole "elvis conspiracy" but i want to know about it and i want to know what other people think of it.

please if u have any good site about the "elvis conspiracy" post them i want to know stuff heaps of stuff

thanks
    Last edited by Scarsguardianstalkr; 02-05-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Kugmu Guest

thanks heaps

knothere Guest
    well holy moly i never knew the real reasons why he cood still be alive or faked his death

PvN73 Guest
    Have you seen the movie Bubba Ho-Tep?

Too funny.

http://www.bubbahotep.com/aboutbht.html

knothere Guest
    i tried to watch bubba ho-tep
    but i just coodnt get into it
    i was a kid when elvis died so i dont recall alot about him

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    i tried to watch bubba ho-tep
    but i just coodnt get into it
    i was a kid when elvis died so i dont recall alot about him
    Yeah it is a bit weird but I laughed my arse off, esp the scene when he explains the swap with the impersonator!

did anyone else know that theres a live graceland cam?

http://www.elvis.com/graceland/vtour/gracecam.asp

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post

Yup. Occasionally I watch it. I love the way it looks around Christmas time.

lisalouver Guest

Hey thats pretty cool! I have not been back to Graceland since 1996.

Looks pretty nice in Memphis today. It is minus 12 without the windchill here today!

When Elvis was alive, they would keep up the Christmas decorations until his birthday (Jan 8) I wonder if they still do that?

Hey thats pretty cool! I have not been back to Graceland since 1996.

Looks pretty nice in Memphis today. It is minus 12 without the windchill here today!

When Elvis was alive, they would keep up the Christmas decorations until his birthday (Jan 8) I wonder if they still do that?
    i bet they still do i wish i could keep my decorations up until my birthday oct 3

lisalouver Guest
    i bet they still do i wish i could keep my decorations up until my birthday oct 3
    LOL! Me too. I love Christmas decorations!!

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    I am not to sure that is really her. It looks more like a wax museum dummy.

Unfortunately, that's her.....

she looks horrible!
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

leevancleef Guest
    I Cant believe what shes done to herself. Shes so scary looking.
    She was a doll:

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    I Cant believe what shes done to herself. Shes so scary looking.
    She was a doll:

She definitely was a very beautiful lady at one time in her life.

She's also someone I would have loved to have "gotten naughty" with back in her "drop-dead gorgeous" days in the late 60-early 70s. But then again...that's another subject for another in-progress thread. LOL
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

leevancleef Guest
    Yeah, she was beautiful. i remember reading an interview with Paul McCartney where he talked about their meeting with Elvis... he said that they were all drooling when Priscilla entered the room, that she looked perfect.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Yeah, she was beautiful. i remember reading an interview with Paul McCartney where he talked about their meeting with Elvis... he said that they were all drooling when Priscilla entered the room, that she looked perfect.
    She was a stunning woman. Like a perfect doll. My favorite pics of her were in the early to mid 70's when she had shorter, redder hair and regular makeup and peasant skirts and that. She was gorgeous. She opened a clothing boutique shortly after the divorce that had fab clothing.

More Cheese Please Guest
    I found this site that purports to have photos of the "forbidden" upstairs sleeping quarters...

http://www.linkydinky.com/graceland/

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    I found this site that purports to have photos of the "forbidden" upstairs sleeping quarters...

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Those are, in fact, pictures of the upstairs...but the picture of the padded double doors looks to be the same as what is seen in "Elvis & Me".

More Cheese Please Guest
    What a shame about Priscilla... good God she looks awful....

check out another debacle...

prettypixie1986 Guest
    What a shame about Priscilla... good God she looks awful....

check out another debacle...

Proof the plastic surgery doesnt always work!!

The Casket Photo.....

What is everyone's opinion of the now-famous "casket photo" of Elvis that appeared on the September 6, 1977 issue of the National Enquirer?

SinKittyVixen Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    What is everyone's opinion of the now-famous "casket photo" of Elvis that appeared on the September 6, 1977 issue of the National Enquirer?

Its him. I think. People look diff in death, and also, it wasnt the 'perfect angle'
    ~Kasey

SinKittyVixen Guest

Wink

Ive seen these before, too. Soo interesting! Had to look again!

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Its him. I think. People look diff in death, and also, it wasnt the 'perfect angle'
    ~Kasey
    I don't think it was him, but I do believe he died. I think the wax figure was there so that some wild fan didn't go crazy, and try to climb in with the body.

Rev.josh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    They have others you know? I have seen them, there is more of the Coffin showing. I think I saw them here on this site.

Regardless, after seeing the pics, it is tough to believe it is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I don't think it was him, but I do believe he died. I think the wax figure was there so that some wild fan didn't go crazy, and try to climb in with the body.

Absolutely not. I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.josh View Post
    They have others you know? I have seen them, there is more of the Coffin showing. I think I saw them here on this site.

Regardless, after seeing the pics, it is tough to believe it is him.

The pic that appeared on the cover of the NE was taken from that one single photo. I think it's tough for us to believe it was him because we couldn't ever imagine Elvis dead.

Sadly, it's him.