Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 30373839
Results 1,901 to 1,942 of 1942

Thread: Elvis Presley

Neither did I. Too bad I was only 3 in '57, just seeing him in that suit gives me chills ! I would loved to have seen him at this early stage in his career, he would have been electric. I did hear Parker turned the film down without his knowledge, why he would do that I have no idea. Presley and Streisand that would have been something.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I just never went for the jumpsuit and scarf thang he got to wearing.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-14-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

That and the karate moves onstage.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    That and the karate moves onstage.
    Oh yeah. Ew. And some of his dancing... I don't know... I liked the pelvis swivel better than the rest. He didn't even have to dance, man. He could sit down in his black leather and guitar--swoon!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Absolutely. I wonder how much Parker had to do with his 70's image, some of it was pretty cringeworthy.

Absolutely. I wonder how much Parker had to do with his 70's image, some of it was pretty cringeworthy.
    You know, I've wondered the same. Might try to find out.

ETA according to this sight RCA and Parker were in collusion against him. https://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlig...nelparker.html
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Most of the 70's was cringeworthy.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Thanks cindy, fascinating read !
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 02-15-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks cindy, fascinating read !
    You're welcome!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The Beatles had nothing on Elvis... WOW!

No one does, and I was never a real fan of his.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    No one does, and I was never a real fan of his.
    Funny that you should say that. I was never that big on him myself, but in watching his early performances I'm a little mesmerized. I'm thinking this guy really had it !

Never Been to Spain

I hadn't realized Joe Esposito passed away in 2016. I am not sure if he deserves his own thread or not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/a...s-presley.html
    Last edited by cash; 07-03-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I've seen a lot of Elvis tributes like most of you have I'm sure. Here's one I never expected:

Story about it here. Apparently he started doing Elivs songs back in his Misfits days eons ago too: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...emiere-979212/

The colonel was the strong father Elvis never had, until he was the wrong father no one should have had, but by then Elvis distracted himself with drugs and thick greasy sandwiches, forcing his heart to do double duty until it refused at the final doody.

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post
    The colonel was the strong father Elvis never had, until he was the wrong father no one should have had, but by then Elvis distracted himself with drugs and thick greasy sandwiches, forcing his heart to do double duty until it refused at the final doody.
    That was rather graceful, almost like a poem.
    Pecunia Loquitur Taurus Cacas Ambulat

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I've seen a lot of Elvis tributes like most of you have I'm sure. Here's one I never expected:

Story about it here. Apparently he started doing Elivs songs back in his Misfits days eons ago too: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...emiere-979212/
    Sadly, he sounds like some drunk on karaoke
    before he was thrown out of the bar.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I was thinking about Danzig's other hits while sampling that. Immediately I imagined the situation in reverse: Elvis singing "Mother" would be insane. I think Elvis either would've laughed at the prospect or been pissed off.

Don't forget he was also using drugs as well, he was into uppers and downers and diet pills.

According to England's "Express" news site, Elvis' autopsy will be released in 2027, 50 years after Jesse Garon's twin's death. I wonder what it will reveal. Although I suspect the reactions will be in the likes of "that autopsy was done so badly, its contents are inconclusive", something like this. Worth the read, though. We won't have too long to wait: 2027 is only a few weeks away, even before Ariane Grande has her first facelift.

Wonder why they are waiting so long, *ducks and hides as I say * I have never been an Elvis fan, don't like him or his music.

He was pretty cool in the 1950's. As the years went on, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Wonder why they are waiting so long, *ducks and hides as I say * I have never been an Elvis fan, don't like him or his music.

Elvis's late father, Vernon, is the reason for the long wait because he requested that the autopsy results be sealed away from the public until 50 years after his (Elvis's) death. But, you really don't need to wait that long to know what killed Elvis. Just find a copy of the book, "The Death Of Elvis - What Really Happened??" by Charles C. Thompson & James P. Cole and the book will tell you exactly what killed Elvis.....a sudden and violent heart attack. He died somewhere around 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (according to his former personal physician, Dr. George Nichopoulos).
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

These days Elvis could have an app on his iPhone- the Agent app. He could run through it every proposal of his manager Colonel Tom and then it would yay or nay it, based on a thousand different factors and chiefly what was good for Elvis. I'll bet celebs do this now.

I read somewhere that Elvis was "absurdly attractive" and I get a hint of that from his pictures. So imagine him before his decline in the 60's and 70's looking all cute, and sexy, and shaking his hips around, and making some damn functional and alright rock and roll, and between all that, I think I understand his appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post

Outtakes of this performance from June 21, 1977 (and also from two days earlier when he was at his worst - June 19, 1977 in Omaha, NE) have been around for years on the bootleg market as "The CBS Tapes". These shows were NOT his last ever performance but they were his last ever televised performance.

Elvis's final performance was in Indianapolis, IN on June 26, 1977 (ironically, that was Parker's birthday) at the (now-demolished) Market Square arena in front of 18,000 fans and, according to some, it was the best performance he had given up to and at that time.

Personally, as an Elvis fan for over thirty years, I've tried to imagine Elvis as an "old man".....and I have a very difficult time doing that. I don't think that he ever wanted to live to be old....and he even told one of his bodyguards, Lamar Fike, that he would never be an old man. The discussion went like this:

Lamar: Elvis, can I give you a very blank statement?
    Elvis: Sure.
    Lamar: I can never see you old.
    Elvis: in other words, you don't think I'll be around long?
    Lamar: Yeah, I think that's it.
    Elvis: Lamar, I'll never be an old man.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Now's the time to remind the FAD forum what Elvis Aaron Presley could do:
    You'll thank me later.

J.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    OMG, my favorite Elvis song ever! This one and " The Wonder of You", always moves me to tears. Merci Beaucoup mon ami .

Quote Originally Posted by J from Paris View Post
    Now's the time to remind the FAD forum what Elvis Aaron Presley could do:
    You'll thank me later.

J.

This is also one of my favorite late 60s-era songs from Elvis. It was written by W. Earl Brown & Billy Goldenberg specifically for Elvis because for the end of the '68 Comeback Special, Elvis wanted something different than the "normal" Christmas-type song that people were hearing at the time - and the assassinations of JFK, RFK & MLK were weighing heavily on Elvis's mind during the taping (MLK, of course, was shot and killed in Elvis's adopted hometown of Memphis, TN on April 4, 1968) so....this song was a perfect song for those turbulent times.

If Elvis were alive today, he would not be dead.

A friend's sister's obit included Elvis in the people who had preceded her in death.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by J from Paris View Post
    If Elvis were alive today, he would not be dead.
    Well if he didn't die from what he did, he could still be alive or who knows, possibly died of something else , he would be 86 right so could he have died of old age by now if he didn't die at the age he did, who knows.

All for the mother ! ("tout pour la daronne")

Maybe you are confronted with this horror in other countries? France has had this commercial for about ten days, in advance to the European soccer championship starting next week. The announcer, "Winamax," is an online betting operator, whose image they're trying to sell is "look how cool we are" (their twitter account is embarrasing, a perfect image of attention whores flooding messages in which they try too hard to be funny).

Anyway, as Marcel Proust's character, Baron de Charlus, put it: "disfiguring a masterpiece is even harder than creating it".

J.
    Last edited by J from Paris; 06-04-2021 at 06:46 AM. Reason: using the "insert video" button.

Tuesday, August 16th, 1977:

Our favorite star is enjoying his last day of rest at Graceland before boarding the Lisa Marie tomorrow for his sixth tour of the year, beginning with two shows at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portalnd, Maine. Sleep in and enjoy, Elvis!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1977-Elvis-Presley-Concert-Ticket-Stub-Portland-Maine-55.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	55208

J.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    So true, late 1970's was my teenage years.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post

You dont' say... :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aretha Franklin.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	55220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	55218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mj.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	55219
    ••••••••••••••• Worldwide famous J. from Paris •••••••••••••••

By the way, another scientific proof that Elvis was and is the greatest of them all even in death, is that we never heard of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Kurt Cobain or Michael Jackson sightings ;-). Ottawa even has its own Elvis Sightings Society, which is a very zany, fun, crazy, British-like thing to do : http://elvissightingsociety.org/

Although I understand Elvis Presley sightings have been rare lately.
    ••••••••••••••• Worldwide famous J. from Paris •••••••••••••••

Had he survived his first death, then he would be well into his 80's now, and may have died (died) again, for real.

The Tragic Story of Elvis Presley's Twin Brother

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Elvis's late father, Vernon, is the reason for the long wait because he requested that the autopsy results be sealed away from the public until 50 years after his (Elvis's) death. But, you really don't need to wait that long to know what killed Elvis. Just find a copy of the book, "The Death Of Elvis - What Really Happened??" by Charles C. Thompson & James P. Cole and the book will tell you exactly what killed Elvis.....a sudden and violent heart attack. He died somewhere around 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (according to his former personal physician, Dr. George Nichopoulos).
    I heard on a radio talk show that the cause of his death was due to extreme constipation which exacerbated the heartattack. It was not a spoof or comedy show it was something like NPR, but I can't remember the name of it...

@J From Paris, actually there were plenty of reports of Michael Jackson sightings, and if you note there isn't a lot of Elvis sighting reports, if any anymore, I haven't heard of one in years...
    Last edited by pkstracy; 07-12-2022 at 07:24 PM.

This is a very good point. Also all the books I read about Elvis lots of it
    has to be true.