Kirsten01 Guest

Charlie Chaplin

I heard a rumor some years ago when i was a kid
    about some people stealing chaplins body and holding it for
    ransom ?? Like i said i was a kid at the time i heard this rumor
    did that realy happen and if so i hope these peolpe did some serious
    time in jail for that

Danse Macabre Guest
    I heard about that too and it's not a rumor, it really happened.
    Last edited by Danse Macabre; 10-20-2007 at 11:27 AM.

hoxharding Guest
    I don't recall this story. I do remember my father talking about when a famous actor died. His buddies took his body to a party of their and threw a wake of sorts.

Kirsten01 Guest
    I dont belive that was chaplin i think heard about that as well but i think it was another actor just not as famous as charlie. No i rember charlie was being held
    for ransom. I dont rember the year ?

Danse Macabre Guest
    It was no long after Chaplin's death. 1978/79 maybe.

Kirsten01 Guest
    yeah yeah something like that

leevancleef Guest
    yeah, his corpse was stolen. It took the police more than two or three months to find it.
    Charlie died in the most peaceful way a person can died... he passed away in his sleep.

magblax Guest
    I heard that before his death Chaplin wrote a play entitle "The Freak".. it is about a girl born with wings (dedicated to his daughter). The family refuses to release it.

Kirsten01 Guest
    People are so sick....Yuck why would anyone do something like that ?
    I mean come on

leevancleef Guest
    i know , its pretty creepy and disturbing.
    Anybody is a fan of Charlie?
    im really love some of his stuff, one of my favorite films of all times is Modern Times.

TobbeJ Guest
    After the kidnapping of Lindberghs baby in the 1920's he told everyone that if he himself was ever kidnapped no ransom should be paid, And his wife at the time of his death, Oona followed his wishes and his body was soon after found in a big field not far from where he lived and the farmer owning the land put up a cross with a cane hanging from it as a tribute to Charlie.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I don't recall this story. I do remember my father talking about when a famous actor died. His buddies took his body to a party of their and threw a wake of sorts.
    That was John Barrymore

leevancleef Guest
    yep, and they took John's corpse to Errol Flynn's house.

I liked Charlie. I might be in a minority in saying this, but I liked the movie Chaplin also with Robert Downey
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

I thought R. Downey Jr did an awesome job as Chaplin, one of my favorite hims with him as the lead

I got a question though, at some point, he was banned from the US ( either all or some part i cant remember which) but according to the movie, at some point, he made an appearance at an awards show. was that accurate, if so was his ban permanent and they allowed a one time thing, or was it actually temporary

According to wikipedia (so don't take it as gospel) :

In 1952, Chaplin left the US for what was intended as a brief trip home to the United Kingdom; Hoover learned of it and negotiated with the INS to revoke his re-entry permit. Chaplin decided not to re-enter the United States, writing; ".....Since the end of the last world war, I have been the object of lies and propaganda by powerful reactionary groups who, by their influence and by the aid of America's yellow press, have created an unhealthy atmosphere in which liberal-minded individuals can be singled out and persecuted. Under these conditions I find it virtually impossible to continue my motion-picture work, and I have therefore given up my residence in the United States." [5]
    Chaplin then made his home in Vevey, Switzerland. He briefly and triumphantly returned to the United States in April 1972, with his wife, to receive an Honorary Oscar, and was welcomed warmly.

Chaplin and Jackie Coogan in The Kid (1921)
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Little trivia: The Limelight (came out in 1952) is the only time that Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin worked together.

18. 10-22-2007, 08:03 AM

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Chaplin was an ultra-rich phony who wanted nothing to do with the common people.

There were rumors of 'horse-meat'. Wonder if they were started by charlie himself. we saw his house - in the hills above vevey - a few years ago. or rather we looked at it from outside the gates. it looked wonderful. we think geraldine lives in it.

Danse Macabre Guest

Thumbs up

I love Chaplin. I grew up watching his movies and my favorites are Modern Times and The Kid.
    I'm also a big fan of Geraldine, she's quite a good actress and stars some of my favorite spanish movies. I haven't heard about her in a loooooooong time.

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine of Siena View Post
    Chaplin was an ultra-rich phony who wanted nothing to do with the common people.

There were rumors of 'horse-meat'. Wonder if they were started by charlie himself. we saw his house - in the hills above vevey - a few years ago. or rather we looked at it from outside the gates. it looked wonderful. we think geraldine lives in it.
    What do you mean by horse-meat? Please explain...

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    i know , its pretty creepy and disturbing.
    Anybody is a fan of Charlie?
    im really love some of his stuff, one of my favorite films of all times is Modern Times.
    I am a Chaplinite. I just recently watched "City Lights". I have only recently gotten into him, but find him very talented and interesting. I'm not ashamed to say that the ending of "City Lights" gave me the old "I'm about to cry" lump in my throat. Awesome movie though.

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    I liked Charlie. I might be in a minority in saying this, but I liked the movie Chaplin also with Robert Downey
    Charlie Chaplin is a treasure and I also think Downey Jr did a great job in the movie about him

SistaSara Guest

Charlie Chaplin's Haunted Mansion

Charlie Chaplin Mansion
    6147 Temple Hill Drive
    Hollywood Hills, Ca 95721

County: El Dorado

Submitted by: Anonymous Last updated on : 9/8/2007

Research Tools:
    View other locations in Hollywood Hills, Ca or in state Ca
    Google Maps Google Search
    Live Maps Live Search

AboutMyCity Local Newspapers States History

Send to cell phone

Location Description:

This affluent house sits upon a hill overlooking Echo Park. It resides a neighborhood called Hathaway Hills.

The story behind the house is that Charlie Chaplin used to own the house and sold it for whatever reason? In any case, a man moved in with his family. And soon after the house would lead to his and his family`s demise. He came home from work one afternoon and killed his mother, his wife and children.

People describe the house as a spooky and haunting location. Curious kids went to the house and saw the same Mercedes Benz crashed into the garage with "police tape" stuck to the side of the house and front porch. It has been reported that one can see a mirage of the grandmother and hear the children screaming.

There have been other reports of eerie sounds and sightings of wild animals, for example, a lion. Lastly, the house has a dark side and lighter side.

Today one can see a single window with a table lamp on shining noticeably. The house is an old Victorian style, also it looks like the Psycho house used in the actual film.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...tegory/861/210

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Road Trip!!!!!!!!!

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Road Trip!!!!!!!!!
    oh for sho!!! i'm gonna try and get over there this weekend! if i make it over there i'll post some pics. don't know how close i can get tho.

motherogod Guest
    Road Trip!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Waco, let's meet on I-35 and go together! Sca-Ree!

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I will steal the prison's bus and we can just pick up all the hag along the way.

kdeazell Guest
    Road Trip!!!!!!!!!
    Get Grant and Jay of the Ghost Hunters. I'm in too and I live in So. Cal.
    Kim

SistaSara Guest
    I will steal the prison's bus and we can just pick up all the hag along the way.
    it would be like One Flew Over The Cucko's Nest...

The house, which is called MOORCREST was not owned by famous comedian CHARLiE CHAPLIN, but was rented by him for several years. CHAPLIN, by the way hadn't even lived in the United States during the last 20 years of (his) life; He resided in SwitZerland, so the idea of CHARLiE CHAPLIN haunting that abode seems, well, implausible. Have you ever noticed that houses are usually only haunted by famous names ? Rather apparent that it helps promote the entire notion by invoking the a glamourous name in connection with a 'haunting'.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    The house, which is called MOORCREST was not owned by famous comedian CHARLiE CHAPLIN, but was rented by him for several years. CHAPLIN, by the way hadn't even lived in the United States during the last 20 years of (his) life; He resided in SwitZerland, so the idea of CHARLiE CHAPLIN haunting that abode seems, well, implausible. Have you ever noticed that houses are usually only haunted by famous names ? Rather apparent that it helps promote the entire notion by invoking the a glamourous name in connection with a 'haunting'.
    well that just popped my bubble

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    well that just popped my bubble
    Popped my bubble too......but I still think this would be a cool house to explore

34. 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM

as always in the dark Guest
    When I worked at Paramount Pictures I would drive by this house everyday. It's in a gated community and these is no access to the public and you can't see much from the street. However Chaplin rented and or lived in many houses in the area and Beverly Hills and you can still drive by those.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Our trip is ruined

NOVSTORM Guest
    Yeah but who was the family murdered in it????????????

lisalouver Guest
    Kelt, was Charlie not living in Switzerland because the US was trying to try him as a sympathizer or something? I am too lazy to google, but I remember the movie with Robert Downey (which was fab and I cry everytime I see it) said that Oona, Charlie's last wife and love of his life renounced her own citizenship to go and live with him there.

Well, he wasn't even born here; CHAPLIN was born in England.
    He'd been given a tough time of it for years. The gossip columnists (HOPPER, PARSONS, WINCHELL) loved to pull him through the wringer in their columns to the point that the truth didn't matter. Case in point, the 1943,44 paternity case against him by (one) JOAN BARRY. Even when it was proved in court that he was NOT the father of her little girl, HEDDA HOPPER rode the shit out of him. HOPPER though thought him a complete pig after hearing LITA'S (wife #2) side of things from when she was married to the comic genius. In the late 1940s there was also the great RED (WITCH) HUNT going on with CHAPLIN'S name being lobbied about. In addition, I think that he was having revenue problems with the I.R.S. After all of these things plagueing him for years he moved to Switzerland, which is known for its favorable tax advantages. I think that this was in 1951,52 & there he remained until he died 20 years later !

cherryghost Guest
    The house where Chaplin was born is in Kennington South London, I used to live nearby and of course there is a plaque on the door, Van Gogh used to live up the road, not at the same time of course or else there may have been hell to pay!

leevancleef Guest
    After all of these things plagueing him for years he moved to Switzerland, which is known for its favorable tax advantages. I think that this was in 1951,52 & there he remained until he died 20 years later !
    Didnt he attend an Oscar ceremony where he was awarded an honorable Award? i think this happened in the early 70s....

lisalouver Guest
    Didnt he attend an Oscar ceremony where he was awarded an honorable Award? i think this happened in the early 70s....
    He did come back for the honor at the Academy Awards, I belive. The movie showed that. I think it was in 1976 or 1977. It was shortly before his death.

lisalouver Guest
    Well, he wasn't even born here; CHAPLIN was born in England.
    He'd been given a tough time of it for years. The gossip columnists (HOPPER, PARSONS, WINCHELL) loved to pull him through the wringer in their columns to the point that the truth didn't matter. Case in point, the 1943,44 paternity case against him by (one) JOAN BARRY. Even when it was proved in court that he was NOT the father of her little girl, HEDDA HOPPER rode the shit out of him. HOPPER though thought him a complete pig after hearing LITA'S (wife #2) side of things from when she was married to the comic genius. In the late 1940s there was also the great RED (WITCH) HUNT going on with CHAPLIN'S name being lobbied about. In addition, I think that he was having revenue problems with the I.R.S. After all of these things plagueing him for years he moved to Switzerland, which is known for its favorable tax advantages. I think that this was in 1951,52 & there he remained until he died 20 years later !

Thanks for the great info Kelt! Still hard to belive about that paternity case. Was not his child, and yet he had to pay for that baby. Unreal.

Yes, I believe that he was bestowed an 'Honorary' Academy Award in 1972. CHAPLIN did revisit the U.S. in order to be there for the ceremony.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    He did come back for the honor at the Academy Awards, I belive. The movie showed that. I think it was in 1976 or 1977. It was shortly before his death.
    I also recall having read that Jackie Coogan picked him up from the airport. Chaplin, immediately recognizing Coogan (whom he hadn't seen in decades), warmly embraced him, saying, "You know, I think I would rather see you than anybody else." Chaplin later told Coogan's wife, "You must never forget that your husband is a genius.".

I adore me some Charlie.
    Last edited by Lucy Furr; 02-10-2008 at 01:33 AM.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    I also recall having read that Jackie Coogan picked him up from the airport. Chaplin, immediately recognizing Coogan (whom he hadn't seen in decades), warmly embraced him, saying, "You know, I think I would rather see you than anybody else." Chaplin later told Coogan's wife, "You must never forget that your husband is a genius.".

I adore me some Charlie.
    Great story! I'm a fan of Charlie as well.

lisalouver Guest
    Kelt:

Got any info on Chaplins kids? I know that at least one is dead, one of the twins he had?

TobbeJ Guest
    Kelt:

Got any info on Chaplins kids? I know that at least one is dead, one of the twins he had?
    His oldest son Charlie Jr died in 1968, at the age of 42 after falling in the shower and hitting his head, He was an alcoholic and had great trouble living up to his name. His brother Sydney was one year younger so they were not twins.

TobbeJ already posted about CHARLES JR. above.

Now CHARLES JR. & SYDNEY were both from wife #2, LITA GREY. The first wife MILDRED HARRIS gave CHARLIE a son, but the baby died after only 3 days. I think that he was named NORMAN.

SYDNEY CHAPLIN did well on his own in theater. He played the part of Nicky Arnstein in the Broadway run of FUNNY GIRL in the mid 1960s opposite STREISAND. OMAR SHARIF played the role in the film version. SYDNEY was a dashing looking figure & quite a ladysman. He had an affair with JOAN COLLINS back in the mid 50s, which COLLINS included anecdotes about in her (several) autobiographies. One interesting tidbit had COLLINS inferring that SYDNEY' onetime stepmama, actress PAULETTE GODDARD would invite the two stepsons into her bed for uh.....fun & frolic ?

CHARLES JR. & SYDNEY were both married several times each, but I don't believe that either had children. SYDNEY will be 82 this year.

I really know little about his 8 children with 4th wife OONA except that GERALDINE of course is an actress. I do know that GERALDINE who is about 64 is really a generation older than the youngest offspring from marriage #4. CHRISTOPHER the youngest was born in 1962. Another of the sons is named EUGENE after his famous grandfather EUGENE O'NEILL.

lisalouver Guest
    TobbeJ already posted about CHARLES JR. above.

Now CHARLES JR. & SYDNEY were both from wife #2, LITA GREY. The first wife MILDRED HARRIS gave CHARLIE a son, but the baby died after only 3 days. I think that he was named NORMAN.

SYDNEY CHAPLIN did well on his own in theater. He played the part of Nicky Arnstein in the Broadway run of FUNNY GIRL in the mid 1960s opposite STREISAND. OMAR SHARIF played the role in the film version. SYDNEY was a dashing looking figure & quite a ladysman. He had an affair with JOAN COLLINS back in the mid 50s, which COLLINS included anecdotes about in her (several) autobiographies. One interesting tidbit had COLLINS inferring that SYDNEY' onetime stepmama, actress PAULETTE GODDARD would invite the two stepsons into her bed for uh.....fun & frolic ?

CHARLES JR. & SYDNEY were both married several times each, but I don't believe that either had children. SYDNEY will be 82 this year.

I really know little about his 8 children with 4th wife OONA except that GERALDINE of course is an actress. I do know that GERALDINE who is about 64 is really a generation older than the youngest offspring from marriage #4. CHRISTOPHER the youngest was born in 1962. Another of the sons is named EUGENE after his famous grandfather EUGENE O'NEILL.
    Thanks Kelt!

Somehow that tidbit about Paulette inviting the boys into her bed does not surprise me!

Wow, Sydney will be 82 this year. Would be awesome to see some pics of all of the kids, including Charlie and Oona's.

Was not one of them an extra in the movie, I thought?

lisalouver Guest
    Just a quick look at Wiki revealed that Paulette Goddard was married to Burgess Meredith at one point and had a miscarriage with him. She never had any children. She also died in Switzerland, after a bout with breast cancer in which she had surgery that necessiated removing ribs?!

And Sydney Chaplin owns a resturant in Palm Springs called Chaplin's!

Also it stated that after Charlie's death, Oona became an alcoholic due to her pining for him. Sad.

leevancleef Guest
    Just a quick look at Wiki revealed that Paulette Goddard was married to Burgess Meredith at one point and had a miscarriage with him. She never had any children. She also died in Switzerland, after a bout with breast cancer in which she had surgery that necessiated removing ribs?!

And Sydney Chaplin owns a resturant in Palm Springs called Chaplin's!

Also it stated that after Charlie's death, Oona became an alcoholic due to her pining for him. Sad.
    All i know is that Paulette died VERY RICH. Also, in her last years she had a fabulous social life, being a close friend of people like Andy Warhol, he even mentions her in his diaries.

Ive read that Oona became very depressed after Charlie's death and that she didnt want to go out. She was always at home. I dont know about her becoming an alcoholic , though..