Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made Famous By Death

Jazbabee Guest

Made Famous By Death

Ever wonder about the relatively unknown people made famous not before, but because of circumstances surrounding their deaths ?? For instance Ron Goldman, unknown I believe before death, but because of the circumstances has pretty immediates name and face recognition. Abigail Folger and Jay Sebring, the LaBiancas not really know or famous per se before death, but achieved recognition because of death.
    I always wonder about the everyday person that achieves a certain amount of recognition, not really during life, but because of death. If any of you know stories surrounding people such as this, I believe it could make for an interesting thread !!

RubySlippers Guest
    Jon-Benet

The kids at Columbine

Linving in Colorado, they are everywhere. Jon-Benet more-so world wide. As for Columbine, if you live here you recognize the faces. Even almost 10 years later.
    It is unfortunate. Poor things.

xenaswolf Guest
    Laci, Conner, Scott Peterson
    Dru Sjodin and her killer Alphonso Rodriquez ( I know i butchered his name, but oh well!)
    Jack the Ripper's victims

TNpuck Guest
    I don't know any of the victim's of Jack the Ripper, but I know him. It is usually the victims though, like Goldman, etc.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    I don't know any of the victim's of Jack the Ripper, but I know him. It is usually the victims though, like Goldman, etc.
    Only one I recall was Mary Kelly, she was the most famous victim.
    http://www.casebook.org/

If you click on victims, the pics of the victims are there.

Guest Guest
    Ed Gain, the guy they made Texas Chainsaw Masscre from, and Silence of the lambs and another movie from him. He wore his victims skin and made furniture from it too, the lamp shade ws skin, bowls made from skulls. He got his victims from fresh graves. He had bones in a cereal box.

knothere Guest
    o i was wonderin about the bones from cereial boxes thing
    n id say curt got famous by death
    n in all due respect launched the foo fighters (i love them soo much)
    elvis is worth more dead than.....

motherogod Guest
    Peg Entwistle (sp?)-- known as the Hollywood Sign girl. I've been to LA and seen the sign, but I can't picture how tall the letters are. Yes, I know their height is listed but I need something relative to compare to. My abstract thinking is way underdeveloped.

Anyway, she's the first one who came to my mind.

The Black Dahlia (Elizabeth Short) No one would have any idea who she was had it not been for her horrific murder. Don't think she would have made her mark as an actress.

Bee1001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    Ed Gain, the guy they made Texas Chainsaw Masscre from, and Silence of the lambs and another movie from him. He wore his victims skin and made furniture from it too, the lamp shade ws skin, bowls made from skulls. He got his victims from fresh graves. He had bones in a cereal box.

I also read somewhere he had a belt made out of nipples.

star82 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Ever wonder about the relatively unknown people made famous not before, but because of circumstances surrounding their deaths ?? For instance Ron Goldman, unknown I believe before death, but because of the circumstances has pretty immediates name and face recognition. Abigail Folger and Jay Sebring, the LaBiancas not really know or famous per se before death, but achieved recognition because of death.
    I always wonder about the everyday person that achieves a certain amount of recognition, not really during life, but because of death. If any of you know stories surrounding people such as this, I believe it could make for an interesting thread !!
    Jay Sebring was a famous hair stylist. He was even on an episode of Batman. The movie "Shampoo" with Warren Beatty is based upon Sebring. He was well known before his demise.

star82 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    Peg Entwistle (sp?)-- known as the Hollywood Sign girl. I've been to LA and seen the sign, but I can't picture how tall the letters are. Yes, I know their height is listed but I need something relative to compare to. My abstract thinking is way underdeveloped.

Anyway, she's the first one who came to my mind.
    I took this when I was in LA in April.

I took Beechwood all the way up. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be up there!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...lywoodsign.jpg

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by star82 View Post
    I took this when I was in LA in April.

I took Beechwood all the way up. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be up there!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...lywoodsign.jpg
    super cool, i have always wanted to see this in person~ thanx for sharing the pic!!!~

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by star82 View Post
    Jay Sebring was a famous hair stylist. He was even on an episode of Batman. The movie "Shampoo" with Warren Beatty is based upon Sebring. He was well known before his demise.

Thanks Star.....I do remember that now that you brought it up. However, he was probably more locally known before death. I believe death made him nationally/internationally known. He certainly wasn't an everyday name to the masses like Sasson or Eber

kelbons Guest
    I'd say Selena wasn't known in the mainstream until her death and subsequent movie...

Helby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee1001 View Post
    Ed Gein and the whole deal took place in a town bout 15 minutes from where I live In Wisconsin. He was crazy...had alot of body parts..dug up fresh graves for the parts..only killed one person tho..whose body they found hanging in his house..head in the freezer i believe. towns people burned the house down after it all. My dad told me his father took them by the place after it was burned down. You can still go out there..its just a empty lot surrounded by trees...but anyway there have been alot of stories that may have been made up...like playing telephone.

Virginia Rappe would probably never have been known if there hadn't have been the whole Fatty Arbuckle thing.

Johnny Stompanado- the whole Lana Turner debacle as well.

Lana Clarkson
    Bonnie Blakely
    Richie Valens and the Big Bopper- they were well known, but not as well known as Buddy Holly

I also think that Jayne Mansfield was made famous, again because of her death. I think her career was kind of on the outs when she died, no?

John Walsh- it was his son who died, and John went on to make a big name for himself as an advocate for missing children and then did America's Most Wanted.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Oswald. A loser nobody if there ever was one.

Shes Not There Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Helby View Post
    Ed Gein and the whole deal took place in a town bout 15 minutes from where I live In Wisconsin. He was crazy...had alot of body parts..dug up fresh graves for the parts..only killed one person tho..whose body they found hanging in his house..head in the freezer i believe. towns people burned the house down after it all. My dad told me his father took them by the place after it was burned down. You can still go out there..its just a empty lot surrounded by trees...but anyway there have been alot of stories that may have been made up...like playing telephone.
    He killed 2 people, one was a tavern owner (Mary, I remember her first name not her last, tho) and the lady whose body was found hanging-she owned the hardware store in town. The rest of the time he grave robbed. Mary was missing for a few years and they were able to identify her because he preserved her face as a mask (i.e. leatherface from TX chainsaw massacre). He looks so harmless in pictures...hard to believe he was so twisted.

Helby Guest
    Stand Corrected!

Guest Guest

Yup, you would be correct he did.

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Azaria Chamberlain.

That's got to hurt like a bitch when it gets cold.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Mamma Guest
    Teena Brandon comes to mind (or Brandon Teena if you prefer, but from what I understand, "Brandon" never reversed his names like that). Based on the film "Boy's Don't Cry". Good question! I mentioned Brandon on another thread, different topic.

~Mamma

cherryghost Guest
    An Australian slant on this subject just to cater to the Australians here.....NO... Im too late thanks.... lifeisafataldisease
    Lindy Chamberlain
    Anita Coby was my inspiration here,
    The Beaumont Children
    Dr Bogel and Mrs Chandler
    Nikki Catsuouris (will be back with respectful spelling)
    For those who are curious google these horrific and bizarre murders and crimes!
    Something for everyone down under

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    That's got to hurt like a bitch when it gets cold.
    You know yu are so wrong for that ! RAOFLMFAO!!!

Kugmu Guest
    How about Jean-Baptiste Lully.
    May be the first do die a-la conducting.
    Copied from Wikipedia:
    On January 8, 1687, Lully was conducting a Te Deum in honor of Louis XIV's recent recovery from illness.
    He was beating time by banging a long staff (a precursor to the baton) gainst the floor, as was the common
    practice at the time, when he struck his toe, creating an abscess.
    The wound turned gangrenous, but Lully refused to have his toe amputated and the gangrene spread
    resulting in his death on 22 March...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    o i was wonderin about the bones from cereial boxes thing
    n id say curt got famous by death
    n in all due respect launched the foo fighters (i love them soo much)
    elvis is worth more dead than.....

Huuuuuuh? Are you talking about Kurt COBAIN?? He was not made famous in death.

For a lot of folks thats the only time they get their name in the paper.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

With all of the constant school shootings, the victims and gunmen are become known after their deaths and tragedies.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Ron Goldman

Belle Guest
    Dodi Al-Fayed & Henri Paul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodi.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	3600 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capt.sge.lox19.181207193229.photo00.photo.default-386x512.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	3601

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Dodi Al-Fayed & Henri Paul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodi.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	3600 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capt.sge.lox19.181207193229.photo00.photo.default-386x512.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	3601
    Weren't they with Princess Diana on the night she died? I know one of the four people in the car lived.

bluebear71 Guest
    Cato Calin comes to mind.

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host View Post
    Weren't they with Princess Diana on the night she died? I know one of the four people in the car lived.
    Yes, the body guard Trevor Reese Jones survived.

spoiledkitty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    I'd say Selena wasn't known in the mainstream until her death and subsequent movie...
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...01587001auCfms
    Speaking of here's one of her lying in state. the site has a couple others

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    Cato Calin comes to mind.
    ROFL... Ugh.

I agree with Black Dahlia also. She was homeless, broke and from what I've read... Wasn't going anywhere.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    ROFL... Ugh.

I agree with Black Dahlia also. She was homeless, broke and from what I've read... Wasn't going anywhere.
    I thought she resided in the apartment building that was in Sunset Boulevard.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Donald Turnupseed. Poor dude.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    I thought she resided in the apartment building that was in Sunset Boulevard.
    This was posted in the thread about her:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/beth.html

It portrays her as being pretty much a mooch.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Natalee Holloway
    Stacie Peterson (if she is indeed dead)
    Jessie Davis
    Dorothy Stratten
    Martha Moxley
    Adam Walsh
    Amber Hagerman
    Polly Klass
    Jessica Lundsford
    Last edited by Queen_Death_Hag; 03-10-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Karebear Guest
    Lacy Peterson
    Conner Peterson

Kugmu Guest
    Kenneth Pinyan

pechar Guest
    Hey Cherryghost - you forgot Martin Bryant.

malaki Guest
    I know Bonnie Lee Bakely was already mentioned but she wanted so bad to be famous or at least w/someone famous & because of her persistence she was killed for it....Now that she's famous she's not even alive to enjoy it....

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    Kenneth Pinyan
    LOl now that's too bad.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    This was posted in the thread about her:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/beth.html

It portrays her as being pretty much a mooch.
    You are correct, it looks as though her living in the Alto Nido Apts is a big time myth:

Myth: She lived at the Alto Nido Apartments
    Fact: The original newspaper accounts identified three places Elizabeth Short lived in Hollywood: The home of Mark Hansen at 6024 Carlos Ave. (demolished), the Hawthorn Hotel on Orange Drive (demolished) and the Chancellor Apartments at 1842 N. Cherokee (still there). I have identified two other locations where she stayed briefly, but since they have never been publicly identified, I'm withholding them for my book.
    Origin. This relatively new myth appears in "California Babylon." Since she couldn't afford $1 a night for a bunk bed at the Cherokee, I can't imagine how anyone would think she lived at the Alto Nido.
    "Famous" people who actually lived at the Alto Nido, 6350 Franklin Ave., include the prolific, obscure screenwriter Eugene Walter, who died there in 1941; building manager Burt Berry, who died there of acute alcoholism in 1937 at the age of 48; Bunco artist Roy Kirkham in 1938; Harry Michael, a witness in the 1944 fatal shooting of Hollywood figure Harry Lucenay (trainer of Pete the bulldog in the "Our Gang" comedies) over allegations of a crooked card game; actress Collette Lyons (you may remember her as the telephone operator in "Return to Peyton Place"), whose nylons (a rationed item) were stolen there in 1945; and my favorite, Lila Leeds, who took an overdose of sleeping pills there in 1948, a few months before being arrested with Robert Mitchum for possession of marijuana at her house in Laurel Canyon.

<source:http://www.lmharnisch.com/myths.html>

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    <source:http://www.lmharnisch.com/myths.html>
    Thanks for the info Lucy!! It's interesting how "facts" can get twisted around... LOL

PlumCrazyPurple Guest

What a way to go!

A link from another member about another story, led me to this! http://wcbstv.com/slideshows/what.a....025.html?rid=2

Enjoy!

I remember hearing about that on the news a while back.

Who would even think it!