Thread: Darryl Zanuck

JestersKiss Guest

Darryl Zanuck

Darryl Francis Zanuck (September 5, 1902â??December 22, 1979) was an Academy Award-winning producer, writer, actor and director who played a major part in the Hollywood studio system as one of its longest survivors (the length of his career being rivalled only by that of Adolph Zukor).
    Zanuck was born in Wahoo, Nebraska, the son of Louise Torpin and Frank Zanuck, a hotelier; his last name is of Dutch origin, and his father had Dutch and German ancestry. At six, he and his mother moved to Los Angeles, where the better climate could improve her poor health. At eight, he found his first movie job as an extra, but his disapproving father recalled him back to Nebraska. In 1917, despite being fourteen, he deceived a recruiter and joined the United States Army and served with the Nebraska National Guard in France. Returning to the U.S., he worked in many part-time jobs while he tried to find work as a writer. He managed to find work producing movie plots, selling his first story in 1922 to William Russell and his second to Irving Thalberg. He then worked for Mack Sennett and took that experience to Warner Brothers where he wrote stories for Rin Tin Tin and under a number of pseudonyms wrote over forty scripts from 1924-1929. He moved into management in 1929 and became head of production in 1931.
    In 1933 he left Warners to found Twentieth Century Pictures with Joseph Schenck and William Goetz, releasing their material through United Artists. In 1935 they bought out Fox studios to become Twentieth Century-Fox. Zanuck was vice-president of this new studio and took an interventionist approach, closely involved in editing and producing. During the war he worked for the army.
    In 1946, Zanuck said, "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
    In the 1950s he withdrew from the studio to concentrate on independent producing in Europe. He left his wife, Virginia Fox Zanuck, in 1956 and the later films which he came to produce often featured his girlfriend of that day.
    He returned to control of Fox in 1962, replacing Spyros Skouras, in a confrontation over the release of Zanuck's production of The Longest Day as the studio struggled to finish the difficult filming of Cleopatra (1963) . He made his son Richard D. Zanuck head of production. He became involved in a power struggle with the board and his son from around 1969. In May 1971 Zanuck was finally forced from 'his' studio.
    He died of jaw cancer in Palm Springs, California at the age of 77, and was interred in the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in the Westwood Village section of Los Angeles, California.
    For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Darryl F. Zanuck has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6336 Hollywood Blvd and has won 3 Thalberg Awards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. On the present-day FOX lot, movies are shown in the Zanuck Theater.

Vamp Guest
    He was definitely one of the biggies. Thanks for the info.

pattykad Guest
    There is a great book out about the Zanuck family and their
    days in Palm Springs. This family put the capital D is Disfunction.
    You guys will LOVE it.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    There is a great book out about the Zanuck family and their
    days in Palm Springs. This family put the capital D is Disfunction.
    You guys will LOVE it.
    A friend of mine told me that she read that he liked the YOUNG child stars. She also said that the guy who found the horse head in his bead in The Godfather movie was based on him - not that he found a horse head in his bed but the other stuff - being ruthless, etc........Any truth to that - anyone know?

TheMysterian Guest
    Wasn't he also famous for using "The casting couch" ?

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Yeah, I heard that about the Godfather, too!! That's so gross. What's the name of that book, Patty?

pattykad Guest
    I think it's this one:

The Zanucks of Hollywood The Dark Legacy of an American Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    A friend of mine told me that she read that he liked the YOUNG child stars. She also said that the guy who found the horse head in his bead in The Godfather movie was based on him - not that he found a horse head in his bed but the other stuff - being ruthless, etc........Any truth to that - anyone know?
    I had always heard that the character was based on one of the Warner Bros. Very interesting.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is an episode in The Godfather that involves a little girl.

Isn't that what Freud died of? Yikes!