Thread: Edward Van Sloan (Dr. Van Helsing) "Dracula"

Edward Van Sloan (Dr. Van Helsing) "Dracula"

His was the voice of reason during the earliest years of horror talkies. He was the man armed with the knowledge to protect us from the terrors of the bloodthirsty Count Dracula, the living mummy Im-Ho-Tep and the rampaging Frankenstein Monster.

He was born Edward Van Sloun on November 1st, 1881 in San Francisco (or in Minnesota according to at least one source) and of Dutch descent. Young Edward attended art school and became a commercial artist. He made his stage debut in 1908 and by 1910 was working with an acting stock company. By the late 1920s he was established on Broadway where he portrayed Dr. Abraham Van Helsing alongside Bela Lugosi as the immortal Count Dracula.

"How do you do," greets Van Sloan as he emerged on to the screen from behind a stage curtain. "Mr. Carl Laemmle feels it would be a little unkind to present this picture without just a word of friendly warning. We are about to unfold the story of Frankenstein, a man of science, who sought to create a man after his own image without reckoning upon God. It is one of the strangest tales ever told. It deals with the two great mysteries of creation, life and death. I think it will thrill you. It may even shock you. It might even horrify you. So if any of you do not care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now’s your chance to…well, we’ve warned you!"
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 05-30-2008 at 12:34 AM.
    pull the string!

Danny62 Guest
    Thanks for the post. Alot of people don't know he was in three of Universals classic monster pics!

Now if he would have done wolfman!

I love how him and Lugosi played off each other in Dracula!

I think my favorite part is where Van Helsing shows Dracula the cigarette case with the mirror and Dracula hit it and threw it on the ground.

Lugosi's expression is priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Thanks for the post. Alot of people don't know he was in three of Universals classic monster pics!

Now if he would have done wolfman!

I love how him and Lugosi played off each other in Dracula!

I think my favorite part is where Van Helsing shows Dracula the cigarette case with the mirror and Dracula hit it and threw it on the ground.

Lugosi's expression is priceless
    danny i had intended to dedicate this thread to you, coz i knew that you'd appreciate it. yes i remember that scene very well, and lugosi's expression is memorable!!!!
    pull the string!

4. 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM

Finally got the chance to follow-up on my research using FindaGrave. He and his wife are buried approx. ten miles from my house. Born in Minnesota, died in California and buried in S.E. Pennsylvania. Your guess why they're in PA is as good as mine. The stone at the top of the photo is the reverse side of his wife's stone. She's listed there with three other people, one of whom has her maiden name Jackson. Presumably he (and/or his wife) made arrangements to be buried with her relative(s) - their only son died in 1962 and is buried in Arlington.
    I swear I did not place the crucifix there! It was placed there as a touching tribute by some other fan, just as you see it ...maybe to ward-off vampires lol. I opted not to place my FindaDeath banner there for a photo-op. It just didn't seem the Right Thing to do today; the poor soul outlived both his wife and their only son, and I do admire/respect him as an actor. I'm sure that at some future date I'll change my mind and go back with a nice 8 X 10 photo of him, a wooden stake, a hammer, some wolf-bane AND the FAD banner to take a photo ! Thanks to the findgrave photos I was able to locate the grave within two minutes. The fact that it's a small cemetery helped, and it's well-maintained.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200704_121048061.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	55030