Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Pictures of Celebrities While Still Alive

pvezz Guest
    This is a fabulous thread! Keep 'em coming!

the Babe at Yankee Stadium June 13/48. Died Aug 16/48:

desertangel Guest
    Jimi Hendrix...

On Thursday September 17, 1970 (the day before he died) one of Jimi's girlfriends, Monika Danneman, took a series of photos of him in the garden behind her apartment in London. These rare images mark the last photos ever made of Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/ruexperience...astPhotos.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lastjimi.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	13401  

Taken a few days before his death on June 13/08 - Tim Russert ( with son and wife at the Vatican):

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Taken a few days before his death on June 13/08 - Tim Russert, son and wife at the Vatican:

So sad....

Here is the last photo of President and accomplice in stealing half of Mexico Zachary Taylor. This was taken July 4, 1850. Later in the day he laid the cornerstone for the Washington Monument (which wouldn't be finished for another 38 years). What is amazing is he walked to the site from the White House by himself unnacosted. It was over 100 degrees that day and when Taylor returned to the White House he ate some cherries and iced milk. He collapsed an hour later and took to the bed he would never leave. He died in agony on the 9th.

In the late 1980's some historian whose name I can't recall, was convinced that Taylor was poisoned. When Taylor, who drove over 100 slaves on his Louisiana plantation, was elected, the southern politicians thought they had it made. But Taylor turned out to be a nationalist and not a sectionalist who did not cowtow to the Southern politicians. On July 2, a group of southern senators barged into the White House and invaded the Oval Office. They read Taylor the riot act and one senator threatened to kill Taylor right to his face. 130 years later this historian thought Taylor had been poisoned because how could a man who lived in the field during the Mexican so called War kick the bucket on some cherries. This historian convined Taylor's great-great granddaughter to exhume and they did. They found Taylor had died of natural causes and that his coronary arteries were nearly sealed shut.
    They have released no pictures of the autopsy, and I would sure like to see them. If they had just looked at this photograph, they could see that this man was on his way out.

Name:	Taylor.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	13402  
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Albert and Victoria off to join the choir invisible.

Name:	0002AL.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	13404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001VICKIE.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	13405  
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

MmmRavioli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coleysabusybabe View Post

Here's a photo of Tammy Faye (Bakker) Messner on what I believe was a day or two before she died from cancer. Eventhough she was someone that I think everyone at some point or another made fun of...you gotta admit she had an undenyable faith in God. I enjoyed watching her sing part of Ice Ice Baby on the Surreal Life and laughing everytime! RIP Tammy Faye.

UGH! I hate that. Tammy Faye was a sweetheart. I'm not a reality TV watcher, but I remember getting hooked on that particular season of The Surreal Life because of her.

MmmRavioli Guest
    Albert Einstein - March 1955, died April 17/1955:

Awwww, he's cute.

"In Heaven, everyone is very wise. Here, Einstein is just the guy with the weird breath by the pool." - Sarah Silverman Program

MmmRavioli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    Here is a pic of Fay Wray at the age of 97. It was taken in May of 2004 and she died in August of 2004. She was supposedly going to be in the remake of King Kong, but it wasn't meant to be...

I know! She was supposed to waddle up and say the famous line, "It was beauty that killed the beast."
    It KILLS me that she was unable to do it..

Jack Black had an interesting approach to rehearsing the line - he didn't. The first time he said it on camera, was the first time he'd said it ever. No rehearsals nothing.

Yeah.. and it shows..

Nice method there, Jack. But you're no DeNiro yet..

(Seriously though, loved the remake. Own it, and saw it on the big screen three times.)

MmmRavioli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post

The picture of John in the coffin was taken by the National Enquirer before John's cremation. That picture effects me deeply every time I see it.
    I don't know... John seems to have a lot of color in his face for someone who just died of 6 gunshot wounds... unless the Enquirer added the color.. I'm definitely skeptical of that picture. They had to pump him full of transfused blood, to no avail.

MmmRavioli Guest

This was taken Jan. 22, 1984... less than four months before his death. It's a hauntingly beautiful photo... first time I saw it it brought tears to my eyes. At this point he knows he's dying and hasn't even told his parents yet. You can see in his eyes. It's a man who's been doing a lot of thinking and soul-searching. And is pensive about what's next...

This was for a taping of a new ABC show called "The Top." (Kind of like "American Bandstand" or something.) He introduced Cyndi Lauper in her first national TV performance. That is such sad symbolism to me... someone on their way out, introducing someone on their way in...

Excerpt from authorized Kaufman bio Lost In The Funhouse by Bill Zehme:
    Andy said he would do it and he did, on Jan 22; a limo collected him with Lynne (his girlfriend) and Linda (his friend) and took them to the taping. "All of a sudden, we were out in the world again and it was so bizarre," said Linda. "We were all very nervous. The doctor told me his arm could break if anybody even bumped it or grabbed him to say hi. So I stood there the whole time, next to his arm."

Because by this point, the cancer had metastasized and was eating away at his arm.

And here's more backstage info on the episode itself:
    http://www.dareland.com/emulsionalproblems/kaufman.htm

A few comments from photographer Michael Dare:

Backstage before the show, Kaufman was as friendly as could be. There was not a hint of star ego as I hung out with him in the dressing room, taking his picture as they put on his make-up. As head writer of the show, I had absolutely nothing to do with the words that were to come out of his mouth, so I asked him what routines or characters he would be doing. "None," he said. "Just myself.".....

Kaufman's performance in The Top seems to be unique in his career. He wasn't playing a character. He wasn't putting anyone on. He wasn't trying to be funny. There was an absolute lack of irony. It actually wasn't a performance; he was simply being himself, doing a favor for a friend, dropping every facade he had ever used, dropping any attempt at being clever or cute or even entertaining. Other than the remarkable circumstances leading to his filling in for Chevy Chase, it wasn't even worth writing about. He smiled a lot and just came off as a totally nice guy, without pretense, someone you could share a beer with. Anyone tuning in to see any of his trademark idiosyncrasies would have been pretty disappointed.
    At the time, I saw it as a complete waste of his phenomenal talents, but looking back now, I see it as a moment of incredible clarity. He probably knew he was dying. He didn't have anything else to prove to anybody. He could afford to just be himself, and that was good enough. "I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes," he said. "Good-bye from The Top." He put his hand over his heart, looked at the audience, wide-eyed and innocent, and said "We love you" before walking off the stage. He died four months later. It was his last public appearance.

Good news though... I finally, after MUCH searching, got a hold of this rare performance... I'm going to buy it very shortly. I know I'm going to cry too. As for Michael Dare's comments, I WON'T be disappointed, because although I immensely enjoy them, I DON'T ever watch Andy for his "idiosyncracies." I just love the guy veddy much.
    Last edited by MmmRavioli; 04-03-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Layla331 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MmmRavioli View Post

This was taken Jan. 22, 1984... less than four months before his death. It's a hauntingly beautiful photo... first time I saw it it brought tears to my eyes. At this point he knows he's dying and hasn't even told his parents yet. You can see in his eyes. It's a man who's been doing a lot of thinking and soul-searching. And is pensive about what's next...

This was for a taping of a new ABC show called "The Top." (Kind of like "American Bandstand" or something.) He introduced Cyndi Lauper in her first national TV performance. That is such sad symbolism to me... someone on their way out, introducing someone on their way in...

Excerpt from authorized Kaufman bio Lost In The Funhouse by Bill Zehme:
    Andy said he would do it and he did, on Jan 22; a limo collected him with Lynne (his girlfriend) and Linda (his friend) and took them to the taping. "All of a sudden, we were out in the world again and it was so bizarre," said Linda. "We were all very nervous. The doctor told me his arm could break if anybody even bumped it or grabbed him to say hi. So I stood there the whole time, next to his arm."

Because by this point, the cancer had metastasized and was eating away at his arm.

And here's more backstage info on the episode itself:
    http://www.dareland.com/emulsionalproblems/kaufman.htm

A few comments from photographer Michael Dare:

Backstage before the show, Kaufman was as friendly as could be. There was not a hint of star ego as I hung out with him in the dressing room, taking his picture as they put on his make-up. As head writer of the show, I had absolutely nothing to do with the words that were to come out of his mouth, so I asked him what routines or characters he would be doing. "None," he said. "Just myself.".....

Kaufman's performance in The Top seems to be unique in his career. He wasn't playing a character. He wasn't putting anyone on. He wasn't trying to be funny. There was an absolute lack of irony. It actually wasn't a performance; he was simply being himself, doing a favor for a friend, dropping every facade he had ever used, dropping any attempt at being clever or cute or even entertaining. Other than the remarkable circumstances leading to his filling in for Chevy Chase, it wasn't even worth writing about. He smiled a lot and just came off as a totally nice guy, without pretense, someone you could share a beer with. Anyone tuning in to see any of his trademark idiosyncrasies would have been pretty disappointed.
    At the time, I saw it as a complete waste of his phenomenal talents, but looking back now, I see it as a moment of incredible clarity. He probably knew he was dying. He didn't have anything else to prove to anybody. He could afford to just be himself, and that was good enough. "I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes," he said. "Good-bye from The Top." He put his hand over his heart, looked at the audience, wide-eyed and innocent, and said "We love you" before walking off the stage. He died four months later. It was his last public appearance.

Good news though... I finally, after MUCH searching, got a hold of this rare performance... I'm going to buy it very shortly. I know I'm going to cry too. As for Michael Dare's comments, I WON'T be disappointed, because although I immensely enjoy them, I DON'T ever watch Andy for his "idiosyncracies." I just love the guy veddy much.

After his death i remember seeing a photo of him with no hair...might have been one of the rag mags..does anyone else remember this at all or am i imagining it?

No one thought of Kennedy??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MmmRavioli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    After his death i remember seeing a photo of him with no hair...might have been one of the rag mags..does anyone else remember this at all or am i imagining it?

Oh yeah, this one.

http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/andylynn.jpg
    This was after those phony "psychic surgery" treatments he had in the Phillipines. If it did any good for him at all, it was only psychological. By the time he returned home he was ten times worse than when he left.

I just posted that other photo because there's something about it I find particularily beautiful. (Can't describe what.)

Some people are skeptical about the illness because they say "Well he lost hair on his head, but he didn't lose his chest hair, so he must've been faking."

Well, number one - Andy had a LOT of chest hair. So maybe he did lose some, people just didn't notice. hahahahaha

Number two - everyone loses hair differently during chemo. Some people don't lose hair at all.

last public picture of Ronald Reagan on his 89th birthday - Feb 11/2000, died June 5/04:

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredMirror View Post
    Two extremely rare photographs here of Arthur Rimbaud, one of the greatest and most controversial of all poets who turned his back on his writing, fame and infamy at the age of 19 and disappeared for years into the shadows of Africa until the age of 37, the year of his death when he finally returned home to France to die. These pictures are two of only four that exist of him as an adult.......
    And just as rare as the Rimbaud pictures are these couple of photos of that tortured genius Vincent van Gogh. Discovered only in 1990, they are the only pictures of him as an adult. In one, he's the chap with the top hat on - in the other he has his back to the photographer whilst with a painter friend...
    Oh, thanks so much for posting these! I have never seen them before! What a find!
    Last edited by Long Gone Day; 04-03-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Keith Moon and some bimbo attends the premiere of 'The Buddy Holly Story' in London on Sept 6/78. Keith died the next day from an overdose:

Last edited by cash; 09-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.

debeth88 Guest
    Somebody had ask for a Mary Pickford Pic before she died. Sorry I couldn't find one but I did find a rare one of her with her husband Buddy Rogers at the funeral of Jeanette MacDonaldin 1965

crazedfemale Guest
    A photo of William Holden from his last movie, S.O.B., released the year of his death, 1981

Name:	SOB3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	13419  

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    cool...love those.

extremely overweight John Candy on the set of Wagons East - died while filming March 4/94:

Outlier Guest
    John Candy...so sad. Loved that guy.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I'm with ya Outlier. I loved John Candy too. Another great Canuck

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I don't know if this is last photo of her, but first pic in this gallery is taken shortly before her death.

http://www.jamd.com/search/q/Mary%20Pickford
    Thank you so much... to me she really looked good for her age

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Who are these people?

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    This is apparently one of the last photos of Jim Morrison and Pamela Courson, taken on June 28, 1971, by a friend of theirs named Alain Ronay. It was published in Paris Match magazine in 1991. June 28 was a Monday. He died just five days later on July 3.

Wow never saw that photo before---thanks for posting it.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coleysabusybabe View Post

Here's a photo of Tammy Faye (Bakker) Messner on what I believe was a day or two before she died from cancer. Eventhough she was someone that I think everyone at some point or another made fun of...you gotta admit she had an undenyable faith in God. I enjoyed watching her sing part of Ice Ice Baby on the Surreal Life and laughing everytime! RIP Tammy Faye.
    I swear I have never seen anyone look as bad as Tammy did when
    dying. How terrible. I'm amazed that she went public like this.
    Poor thing.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Did Chapman ever give a reason as to why he did it?

Not an answer to your question but my sister claims that the
    FBI or the CIA had John murdered? She claims even John's son has mentioned this.
    But truthfully I really don't know if that is true or not.

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Who are these people?
    Queen Victoria, and her consort (husband), Prince Albert of England.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    John Lennon last photo before he died:

And here's John (I think) dead

Yes, found that photo on here! But it's hard to find!

Yep, that was Mark Chapman in the picture above with John kindly giving him a autograph just before he shot and Killed John. Has anyone at Attica State Pen made any attempts on Marks Life? Really would anyone be upset?

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I swear I have never seen anyone look as bad as Tammy did when
    dying. How terrible. I'm amazed that she went public like this.
    Poor thing.
    Actually, this can be a pretty typical end stage cancer appearance. It is called being cachectic or having cachexia. It is all too typical of cancer, CHF, emphysema, AIDS, TB, etc.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Yep, that was Mark Chapman in the picture above with John kindly giving him a autograph just before he shot and Killed John. Has anyone at Attica State Pen made any attempts on Marks Life? Really would anyone be upset?
    I heard that the authorities won't let Mark Chapman out of prison for his
    own safety.

That bastard will be cut down in a few hours believe me.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warmbear View Post
    Actually, this can be a pretty typical end stage cancer appearance. It is called being cachectic or having cachexia. It is all too typical of cancer, CHF, emphysema, AIDS, TB, etc.
    Not something to look forward too.

sablegsd Guest

Anna Nicole Smiths Last Known Picture

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Not something to look forward too.
    Not at all. These people tend to look like they escaped from a WWII German concentration camp.. Not pretty. As you would expect, they also are very weak, because they have no nutrition to give them any energy.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    the Babe at Yankee Stadium June 13/48. Died Aug 16/48:

Love this picture!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I believe MDC is away from the general public. He is kept by himself. I'm sure someone would make an attempt if he were in the GP

Challenger crew going to their deaths on Jan 28/86:

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I'll never forget the day that happened. I watched it live on tv. One of the saddest moments. This picture is so tragic

ajlposh Guest
    last public picture of Ronald Reagan on his 89th birthday - Feb 11/2000, died June 5/04:

I've always wanted to see a picture of Reagan in his later years

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Gandhi in death and one of Charles Darwin's last photographs (circ.1878).

Name:	Last.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	13457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darwinportrait.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	13458  

MorbidMolly Guest
    And just as rare as the Rimbaud pictures are these couple of photos of that tortured genius Vincent van Gogh. Discovered only in 1990, they are the only pictures of him as an adult. In one, he's the chap with the top hat on - in the other he has his back to the photographer whilst with a painter friend...

Exceptional !!!!!!!!!! Ah Vincent....one of my true loves....

MorbidMolly Guest
    Was reading FAD and came across this one of John Ritter.....I don`t know about anyone else, but he didn`t look good through that whole series....not that he just put weight on, but he looked bloated sick....

ajlposh Guest
    Anyone else think we should make this into a website?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Was reading FAD and came across this one of John Ritter.....I don`t know about anyone else, but he didn`t look good through that whole series....not that he just put weight on, but he looked bloated sick....

I agree Molly. He did look bloated and I can remember commenting on that at the time. That death was a shock and so sad.

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Exceptional !!!!!!!!!! Ah Vincent....one of my true loves....
    Molly, if you ever get the chance visit the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam then do. It has the largest collection of his paintings in the world and is beautifully laid out. It's a lovely and moving experience to see his work 'in the flesh' so to speak.
    Also, if you want a cheap but excellent book of his work, check out 'The Complete Paintings of Van Gogh' published by Taschen books. It's over 700 pages, with all his paintings printed in full colour on high quality paper. There's also drawings, photos and other biographical info. And the best thing is it very cheap. Under $15.

ajlposh Guest
    Photos of Richard Pryor at his last public appearance in July of 2005. According to Scott, that's Eddie Griffin with him.

And this one. His wife is on the far right.

pvezz Guest
    Damn......I don't want to remember Richard Pryor like that.....

Elizabeth Guest

The Word You Are Looking For....

MM, I believe the word you are looking for is "puffy" which describes when someone is putting on water weight which is indicative of going in to heart failure, which is what killed John.....