Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: British Royal Family

FannyB1923 Guest
    My favorite tabloid, The Globe, has been running a story the last few weeks that Granny Lillibet, Her Majesty has plans for William:

First the Wedding, seeing the young, beautiful people married on a hopefully fine Spring day. As it happens, the date of the wedding is 8 days after the Queen's 85th birthday.
    2012, will mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee- 60 years on the throne.

Some time after the wedding, she will announce her intention to abdicate after the Jubilee (or maybe upon that occasion) and name William as her successor.
    It breaks with tradition, but it makes sense. Charles is 62 now; an age where a lot of men are ready to hang it up. Also, it would be neat for the Queen to see her successor crowned and be there to ease him into the job. Her mother lived to past 100, so it could be she would have a nice long retirement. Nobody would begrudge her wanting to take it easy after 60 years.

The Globe meanwhile is running stories that Charles feels like a truck ran over him and Camilla is furious. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I think it would be a huge waste of taxpayer's money for Charles to become King, even though it's the Tradition. His Grandmother was the Queen Mother, maybe they could give him a cool new title like Paternal Regent, or even "King Father"? He has to know that he's not that popular, and no spring chicken.
    He has done a lot for Queen and Country over the years. No disgrace to pass the title down to his own son in the prime of Life.

Abdication would be okay if the Coronation wasn't a religious ceremony, such as in the Netherlands. But for the British monarchs, it isn't an option. The one and only was Edward VIII, and he abdicated BEFORE his Coronation.

Unfortunately, Charles will become King, and my bets are on Camilla as Queen Consort. William will just have to wait his turn, which considering Charles' age, won't be too long.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

FannyB1923 Guest
    I'm hearing a lot of buzz about the new Colin Firth movie, "The King's Speech" It's about "Bertie" who became George VI after Edward ran off with Wallis. Bertie had a terrible stuttering problem. The movie is about what he had to do to overcome this problem and become "King-ly"

Love Colin and sounds like an interesting story!

Duchess- there's always the chance Charles would say "Pass", state his reasons to the PM and then tptb sign off on passing the title to Wills....Charles doesn't sound like he's very pro State Religion anyhow.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 12-13-2010 at 01:52 PM.

radiojane Guest
    I have a feeling that the beloved Diana may have been the mother in law from hell. She craved the spotlight and the prestige so badly that seeing Kate pull it away may not have gone over well.

Anyone ever heard of the No Problem Orchestra? Apparently it's made up of people who have Downs, and they're going to be playing at Prince William/Kate's wedding. From AP:

An Austrian band you've probably never heard of is busy
    rehearsing for performances at the royal weddings of Britain's
    Prince William and Monaco's Prince Albert.
    The No Problem Orchestra is made up mostly of musicians with Down
    syndrome.
    The band's leader says members aren't nervous about the gigs,
    because they've had plenty of practice playing for a high-profile
    audience including the Queen.

jmg Guest
    Yes I agree with you 100% PDiana would have been soooooo jealous. I don't think PDiana would have wanted PWilliam to marry.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Anyone ever heard of the No Problem Orchestra? Apparently it's made up of people who have Downs, and they're going to be playing at Prince William/Kate's wedding. From AP:

syndrome.
    I hope this is true. I think it would be a wonderful thing, I will enjoy seeing them myself.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    My favorite tabloid, The Globe, has been running a story the last few weeks that Granny Lillibet, Her Majesty has plans for William:

First the Wedding, seeing the young, beautiful people married on a hopefully fine Spring day. As it happens, the date of the wedding is 8 days after the Queen's 85th birthday.
    2012, will mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee- 60 years on the throne.

Some time after the wedding, she will announce her intention to abdicate after the Jubilee (or maybe upon that occasion) and name William as her successor.
    It breaks with tradition, but it makes sense. Charles is 62 now; an age where a lot of men are ready to hang it up. Also, it would be neat for the Queen to see her successor crowned and be there to ease him into the job. Her mother lived to past 100, so it could be she would have a nice long retirement. Nobody would begrudge her wanting to take it easy after 60 years.

The Globe meanwhile is running stories that Charles feels like a truck ran over him and Camilla is furious. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I think it would be a huge waste of taxpayer's money for Charles to become King, even though it's the Tradition. His Grandmother was the Queen Mother, maybe they could give him a cool new title like Paternal Regent, or even "King Father"? He has to know that he's not that popular, and no spring chicken.
    He has done a lot for Queen and Country over the years. No disgrace to pass the title down to his own son in the prime of Life.
    One can only hope. Charles isn't a bad guy but Camilla is very unpopular, from what I can gather. I can't imagine her as queen.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Unpopular doesnt begin to describe that old horse!

growl Guest
    I love to hear from our members from the UK about the Royal Family.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Funny to think that if Charles and Diana had stayed married (and if they had she'd be alive-wouldn't have been in that tunnel!) now she'd be a youthful 49 years old and STILL waiting for Charles to become King.
    The difference is, with Diana's popularity, people would be wondering if the Queen would step down to let Charles and Diana take over!

I think if their marriage had been happier, she would have had more children, daughters surely, and had less time to be in the media spotlight. She got attention from the public and the media and back home with the in-laws she got the big chill and ridicule. I'd go hang out with Elton too.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Still more Royal news.... LOL, from the "unroyals"- the Phillips family

Zara just announced her engagement to her longtime boyfriend Mike Tindall.

Peter and his wife Autumn are expecting their first child, and the Queen's first great-grandchild any day now: http://www.usmagazine.com/momsbabies...stmas-20102212

Princess Anne declined (or maybe her former husband did) to let the Queen give her children royal titles. So they're not on the Civil List and have to work for a living. Not at Del Taco though. Peter works for the Bank of Scotland in Hong Kong. Zara is a competitive equestrienne, qualified as an equine physiotherapist. It sounds like she has sponsors like other professional athletes.

Guest Guest
    Funny to think that if Charles and Diana had stayed married (and if they had she'd be alive-wouldn't have been in that tunnel!) now she'd be a youthful 49 years old and STILL waiting for Charles to become King.
    The difference is, with Diana's popularity, people would be wondering if the Queen would step down to let Charles and Diana take over!

I think if their marriage had been happier, she would have had more children, daughters surely, and had less time to be in the media spotlight. She got attention from the public and the media and back home with the in-laws she got the big chill and ridicule. I'd go hang out with Elton too.
    I have a feeling that if they would have stayed married and had none of the embarrassing controversy (Charles as Camillas Tampon..GOOD GOD!) and behaved like a happily married in love couple the Queen would have handed it over to Charles a long time ago...but with all the drama and Charles' unpopularity because of all the scandal and the publics dislike for Camilla it isn't going to ole' Chuck..I think he's getting skipped over and Wills is gonna get that duty, not right away...I'd say in a year or two after they marry

Diana was so young..19 years old is hardly emotionally mature enough to handle such a public high profile marriage...she remained emotionally stunted up until her death...Charles is just...UGGH! I've heard a LOT of dirty talk in my day but never would I be flattered by a man that says he wants to be my feminine hygiene product..that is just SICK!

Paige B Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post

syndrome.
    Awwww...very cool!

I just saw The King's Speech today. I highly recommend it - it was awesome. Hopefully it gets a good round of Oscars.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

I just never understood why Chaz did not marry Camilla in the first place?! If she was the one he loved??

She was a bit long in the tooth to produce heirs. Diana was a virgin bride, fresh and lovely. She did her duty.

orionova Guest
    Camilla wasn't a virgin, either, which was a prerequisite then. Plus, she's gotton fed up with waiting for Charles, and married someone else.

FannyB1923 Guest
    The joke is the Royals can't back out once it's announced because their names are on the tea towels!

You can get your order in and get your Kate Middleton doll: http://www.franklinmint.com/Kate-Mid...ll-P11284.aspx If it's THAT realistic, it's kind of creepy. Like a Kate Middleton robot.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd get the Jackie Kennedy doll.

The word is now they are putting their bridal registry together.
    Anyone want to go in on a Toaster Oven for them?
    This store is a lot better than Kate's usual hangouts like TJ Maxx and Target.
    Maybe to save on money they will have a buffet instead of the usual sit down brunch hosted by the Queen.

Inside source from Brides Magazine tells us that the couple may also be planning to do a gift registry at the mid-range Peter Jones store in London's Sloane Square.

"It's a department store that all other young middle-class brides want to register at," we're told. "Makes William and Kate seem 'normal.'" Kate has been known to shop at Peter Jones: recently, she and mother Carole were snapped browsing the post-holiday sales at the store.

Our friends over at Lonely Planet have reviewed Peter Jones, writing "...Upmarket china, furnishings and gifts are its forté, though it stocks accessories and cosmetics, too. The Top Floor (and that's where it's at) is a restaurant-café-bar with stunning views."
    A reviewer at the British Yelp site says, "The great thing about Peter Jones is that it is classic and slightly boring...This is not where you go for cutting edge, but rather for sharp knives, washing machines and light bulbs, not to mention spare buttons and all the little things which fashionable shops just don't have."
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

PurrPurr Guest
    And the merchandise run begins.....

https://royalring.com/

One can be yours for $19.90!

On April 29, 2011, His Royal Highness Prince William, heir to the throne of England, will marry Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton at Westminster Abbey. Kate's, story of an everyday girl meeting her Prince and one day becoming the Queen of England is a modern day fairytale come true. The ring betrothed to Kate Middleton is the same ring Princess Diana received as her engagement ring from Prince Charles nearly 30 years ago.
    In celebration of this historic event, you can now own the Royal Heirloom Ring, a limited edition replica of the timeless heirloom. The beautiful simulated "Ceylon" sapphire represents the original quality of the centerpiece and is surrounded by scintillating brilliant Diamond X-4 CZs and prong set in silver plate. It's style; luster, color and cut are unsurpassed.
    Now, is your chance to share in the most anticipated wedding of the century. For a limited time, Sterlington Collections is making available this timeless collectors masterpiece. The original price was to be set at $39.90, but today it can be yours for just $19.90. Each ring is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity and comes complete with a hinged decorative velveteen jeweler's box.
    Due to the limited time offer restriction, there is a strict limit of just one order per household. We urge you to reserve yours now.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    The word is now they are putting their bridal registry together.
    Anyone want to go in on a Toaster Oven for them?
    This store is a lot better than Kate's usual hangouts like TJ Maxx and Target.
    Maybe to save on money they will have a buffet instead of the usual sit down brunch hosted by the Queen.

Inside source from Brides Magazine tells us that the couple may also be planning to do a gift registry at the mid-range Peter Jones store in London's Sloane Square.

"It's a department store that all other young middle-class brides want to register at," we're told. "Makes William and Kate seem 'normal.'" Kate has been known to shop at Peter Jones: recently, she and mother Carole were snapped browsing the post-holiday sales at the store.

Our friends over at Lonely Planet have reviewed Peter Jones, writing "...Upmarket china, furnishings and gifts are its forté, though it stocks accessories and cosmetics, too. The Top Floor (and that's where it's at) is a restaurant-café-bar with stunning views."
    A reviewer at the British Yelp site says, "The great thing about Peter Jones is that it is classic and slightly boring...This is not where you go for cutting edge, but rather for sharp knives, washing machines and light bulbs, not to mention spare buttons and all the little things which fashionable shops just don't have."

I think I read yesterday in People magazine that they're considering asking for donations to charity in lieu of gifts.

PurrPurr, I won't be buying anything 'for just $19.95-lolol' but I will probably watch the wedding. Sounds sappy, but I think these two are adorable together and I wish them a long and happy life.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I think I read yesterday in People magazine that they're considering asking for donations to charity in lieu of gifts.

PurrPurr, I won't be buying anything 'for just $19.95-lolol' but I will probably watch the wedding. Sounds sappy, but I think these two are adorable together and I wish them a long and happy life.
    Me too Paula. They exude happiness and it's refreshing to see. I fully intend to watch. Besides I want to see her dress and veil!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Me too Paula. They exude happiness and it's refreshing to see. I fully intend to watch. Besides I want to see her dress and veil!
    That's a great way to put it, "exude happiness". After the ruse that was Charles and Diana, this is nice to see.

Prince William commerative wedding condoms

LONDON (AFP) â?? While Britain has a public holiday to celebrate [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Prince [COLOR=#366388 ! important]William's[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] wedding, one company is taking the party one step further with souvenir condoms that urge lovers to "lie back and think of England".
    Crown Jewels Condoms of Distinction is producing special celebration packs that bear the slogan: "Like a royal wedding, intercourse with a loved one is an unforgettable occasion".
    Critics have dismissed the novelty condoms as "tasteless".
    Military helicopter pilot William, second in line to the throne, is to marry his university sweetheart Kate Middleton on April 29 at London's Westminster Abbey.
    All manner of predictable unofficial souvenirs such as tea towels, chinaware and postcards have been rushed out by manufacturers, with condoms now joining the ranks.
    Hugh Pomfret, a spokesman for Crown Jewels Condoms of Distinction, insisted they were "a unique way to remember this great British occasion".
    "In years to come, they will be a timeless memento of a magical wedding day."
    Presented in regal-looking purple and gold, each pack bears a picture of the couple gazing into each other's eyes, saying it contains a "triumvirate of regal prophylactics", which are "lavishly lubed" and "regally ribbed".
    "England boasts some of the finest lovemaking in the world, with a tradition of coitus going back generations," lovers are told.
    "Combining the strength of a prince with the yielding sensitivity of a princess-to-be, Crown Jewels condoms promise a royal union of pleasure."
    It also includes a drawing of the couple "as they might appear on their wedding day", produced by an "acclaimed international artist", who is not named. The facial resemblance is not overwhelming but the pose and outfits seem styled on the official engagement photographs.
    The manufacturers stress that they are not supplied to or approved by William, his fiancee or the royal family.
    Ingrid Seward, editor of the royal-watching Majesty magazine, told The Sun newspaper: "This is completely tasteless and really rather hurtful. Prince William has a great sense of humour but this is a step too far. This is a cheap swipe to make money."
    Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Roflmao!!!!

aLiLdirt Guest
    I'm all about PR and marketing to better one's business, but the royal rubbers idea is completely tasteless...

Sounds like a good idea.

Just like Prince William was born a child
    from a Loveless Marriage.

A reminder to men, always wear a condom.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

LOL! "lavishly lubbed" and "regally ribbed." Too funny!

Mammy Guest
    These would make awesome family heirlooms to pass down from generation to generation. Truly the gift that keeps on giving!

OMG!!! Just tacky.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Tacky souvenirs are better than tasteful any day!

Giada Guest

"Lie back and think of England," omg we inherited loyalty.

The Royals are an indulgence, not good for the figure, but a momentary and decadent pleasure ...

radiojane Guest
    Tacky souvenirs are better than tasteful any day!

I agree.

And that's so much cooler than the tea cup and saucer I had with Charles and Di on it.

Apparently, even jaded New York girls want to dress up like a princess-in-waiting.
    Copies of the fetching, cream-colored frock that Kate Middleton wore for her official engagement photos with Prince William have just been rushed onto the racks in the Big Apple -- but fashionistas better hurry if they want to snatch one up.
    British retailer Reiss -- which first began selling the dress two years ago -- reissued the $310 draped, knee-length number this week, and it's already flying off the shelves in the store's Manhattan outposts.
    The company's SoHo store received a shipment of 18 dresses on Tuesday, but had only five left yesterday.

NY Post: Chad Rachman
    ROYAL WEAR : Post stylist Anahita Moussavian models one of the few remaining copies of the dress worn by Kate Middleton in her official engagement photos with Prince William.

After the photos of Kate and William were released in mid-December, the dress quickly sold out in England, and Reiss rushed into production to accommodate US shoppers, who were willing to prepay for it.
    "One man wanted second-day delivery to receive the dress in time for his wife on Valentine's Day," said Dahiana Pena manager at Reiss' Bleecker Street location.
    "It was supposed to come in March or April, but they rushed it over because of high demand," said Saeida Hmidan, a sales associate at the SoHo store. "People just started calling and asking for the Kate Middleton dress."
    Many of those were so eager to get their commoner hands on the dress worn by a woman who will likely become queen of England, they prepaid for it before even knowing when it would come in, said Hmidan.

The latest version of the dress is dubbed the "Nannette" and is the same cut as the original version released two years ago, but is made in a more lightweight, silky, high-quality fabric.
    Aside from having its moment in the royal spotlight, part of the dress's popularity might be the fact that it is flattering for most body types, very comfortable, easy to wear all year round, and reasonably priced. Only the ruffle across the chest makes it a little more ladylike.

This week's rush on the dress marks the second time Middleton's style has sparked a frenzy.
    A blue dress designed by Issa that the brunette wore to announce her engagement to Prince William, the oldest of the late Princess Diana's two sons, also quickly sold out in stores and on the Web.
    Clearly, a world of women is waiting anxiously for a look at her wedding

Last edited by coconn04; 02-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    I didn't think people took engagement photos anymore.

Prince William & Kate Middleton: What a Royal Engagement Looks Like

Awwww, how cute is this picture! They really do look like they're in love. I remember when his parents got engaged, and had their first informal press conference. A photographer asked something about them being in love, and Charles said something like, "whatever 'in love' means"... what a dope! You'd think he'd at least know how to fake it, after being in the spotlight all his life.

I'll admit to being quite an Anglophile, and plan on watching everything on April 29th. I have such great memories of watching Charles and Di's hoopla in July of 1981, even though I was recuperating from mono, and was laid out on the couch the whole time. Hated her wedding dress, but loved the peach 'going away' suit.

DonnaMc Guest
    While I was in line at the grocery store, I read that Prince Charles is suffering from Alzheimers. He suffers from being hit with the "ugly stick" but I don't know about Alzheimers!

The princes were out of town and Kate and her future stepmother-in law went out to lunch. Who better to give advice than Camilla.

Chipolatas and mini pizzas! Step-mum-in-law to be Camilla advises bride-to-be Kate Middleton ahead of royal wedding (well, she would know...)

Leaning in close to each other across the lunch table, the two women were deep in conversation.
    Then the word ‘advice’ rang out across the busy restaurant.
    The listener was Kate Middleton and the woman offering words of wisdom was none other than the former Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles.

Future Queens: Kate Middleton and Camilla together. Kate, in a Diane Von Furstenberg dress, is mastering the art of simple chic - her style is already being copied all over the world with shoppers clamouring to get their hands on copycat dresses

]This was the extraordinary scene yesterday as Prince William’s fiancée went for lunch with the woman who will soon be her stepmother-in law, the Duchess of Cornwall, for a primer on marrying into the Royal Family.

Camilla, of course, knows all about advising princesses in waiting. Thirty years ago she sat down with a teenage Lady Diana Spencer in the run-up to her marriage to the Prince of Wales.

And it was the wedding that was very much on their minds as they were joined by Kate’s sister Pippa and Camilla’s daughter Laura Lopez in Koffman’s, the new restaurant at the Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge, opened last year by three Michelin-starred chef Pierre Koffman

Me and my shadow: Kate and her police protection officer, left. Camilla and Kate's security sat at an adjacent table while the ladies talked about the much anticipated wedding before emerging together, right

That they chose to meet in such a high-profile venue in one of London’s top hotels - in clear view of other diners - was intriguing when they could have dined discreetly at Clarence House or any other royal address.

Princess Diana’s sapphire and diamond engagement ring sparkled on Kate’s finger as excited chatter about the wedding filled the air.
    A fellow diner, sitting just two tables away, tells me: ‘All four women were talking away like mad and none of the waiters could get a word in edgeways to serve their lunch. Kate looked fantastic in a very short black skirt, black opaque tights, a short jacket and boots.

I heard Camilla saying... “if I can give you one bit of advice...” Kate was really enjoying the moment.

I did hear talk of trumpets and someone said “we can’t have trumpets, the ceiling is too high’’, which may have been a reference to Westminster Abbey.’
    The duchess, in a purple tweed suit and with a glass of red wine in hand, was in charge during the three-hour lunch.

In fact, I understand that Camilla, who has dined at Koffman’s before, made the reservation.

Effortless glamour: Kate is mastering the art of simple chic. Her style is already being copied all over the world with shoppers clamouring to get their hands on copycat dresses
    Her food writer son, Tom Parker Bowles, is a friend of the master chef.
    ‘They were all getting on very well and they clearly hadn’t asked for an out-of-the-way table and nor did they attempt to lower their voices,’ the diner said.‘It was high spirits all round. Kate and Pippa were sitting on banquettes with their backs to the wall opposite Camilla and Laura.

‘There was one moment which was clearly meant to be amusing when Kate said “what happens if William doesn’t turn up?’’ Someone else
    They followed that with talk of menus. I heard chipolatas, sausages on sticks and mini pizzas, but I don’t know whether it was ironic or not.’
    The lunch party was completed by Kate and Camilla’s police protection officers.
    The two gun-carrying women bodyguards sat at an adjoining table as the four women gossiped away.
    Kate and William are still fine-tuning the wedding guest list.More than 1,800 invitations are due to be sent out later this month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1DZkv9Pt5
    Last edited by coconn04; 02-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

One can't help but wonder if Diana is turning in her grave!

radiojane Guest
    Oh cut Camilla some slack on this one. She's doing what she's supposed to do, and so is Kate. I still stand by my theory that Diana would have had one hell of a time taking a back seat to a younger, prettier (imho) daughter in law.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Maybe Camilla had pointers to share about putting on a Royal wedding. I'll cut her slack since it's not like Diana is there to share her experience.

Kate is looking really good. Kind of thin, but wow- model elegant like Diana.

I'm excited to see the dress! Now there's word there might be 2 dresses, like Camilla had.
    One for the ceremony which will probably be a "monster" with a cathdral train. And another one without so much yardage for dancing at the reception, an evening event.

The bridal party will be made of of children.

The preparations for the royal wedding are coming together!
    Prince William has chosen his brother Prince Harry to be his best man at his forthcoming wedding, while Kate Middleton has opted for sister Pippa as her Maid of Honour

There are six bridesmaids and page boys, including Lady Louise Windsor, who is the 7-year-old daughter of William's uncle Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

Louise WIndsor is seven years old. Her cousin William is getting married and she’s going to be a bridesmaid.

Lady Louise was born with the eye disorder exotropia Exotropia is a form of strabismus where the eyes are deviated outward. It is the opposite of esotropia. People with exotropia often experience crossed diplopia. Intermittent exotropia is a fairly common condition. "Sensory exotropia" occurs in the presence of poor vision...

. In January 2006 it was reported that Lady Louise had undergone a 30-minute operation under general anaesthetic to correct the problem but in 2009 it was once again reported that her parents had decided against this treatment.

Two of William's godchildren also made the cut: Grace van Cutsem, 3, and Tom
    Rose Astor .

Although their upcoming union has them busy, Prince William and Kate’s activities aren’t limited to wedding planning. It was also announced today that they will attend two events together, on behalf of the royal family, including visiting their alma mater University of St. Andrews — where they met as students and fell in love. The school is preparing for its 600th birthday and the couple will help to kick off the anniversary celebrations
    Last edited by coconn04; 02-15-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

radiojane Guest
    That Louise is a cute little thing!

radiojane Guest
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...=feeds-newsxml

Sarah Ferguson has not been invited to the Royal wedding.
    About 1,900 invitations have been sent to family, dignitaries, charity workers and friends of Prince William and Kate Middleton but the Duchess of York was snubbed, royal aides confirmed yesterday.
    Friends of 51-year-old Fergie claimed she ‘never expected’ to be asked and would have missed the ceremony anyway owing to ‘private plans overseas’.

Snubbed: Sarah Ferguson dropped off her daughters for a night out with other Royals on Thursday, but is not among the 1,900 guests invited to the Royal Wedding in April

She is also understood to have been reluctant to go to the ceremony ‘alone’. As cousins of William, her daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are expected to sit at the front of Westminster Abbey while their mother, who divorced Andrew 15 years ago, would have been much further back.

More...

The snub comes after a disastrous 12 months in which the duchess faced £5million debts and tried to sell access to her ex-husband for £27,000 during a newspaper sting, horrifying the Queen.
    She spent Christmas Day alone at Andrew’s Windsor home – where she still lives – after holiday plans fell through. She is never invited to join the Queen at Sandringham.
    Reluctant: Fergie was understood to not want to attend the ceremony 'alone' and 'never expected' to be invited

Despite declaring last year that she was ‘doing everything she can’ to stave off bankruptcy, her foreign jaunts have run into double figures.
    Last month she was pictured fanning a wad of cash while on a shopping trip on the Caribbean island of St Barts with Robbie Williams’s wife Ayda Field.

And two days later she jetted to the exclusive ski resort of Verbier in Switzerland for a family holiday.
    At that stage, Sarah was in the dark as to whether she would be invited to the wedding on April 29, friends said.
    She might have hoped that pictures of her surrounded by members of the Royal Family would reinforce her status and help her cause.
    But courtiers last night confirmed she has been left off the guest list.
    The formal invitations were sent out this week via Royal Mail, St James’s Palace confirmed. Six workers from the Lord Chamberlain’s Office addressed and filled the envelopes.
    Among the guests will be a host of ordinary citizens who have worked closely with William’s charities, including teenagers, former drug and alcohol addicts and wounded servicemen for the country’s first ‘people’s wedding’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1ER8em6yN

FannyB1923 Guest
    That companion picture to the Daily Mail article on Sarah- wow, she looks bad- Unhealthy. She was blaming alcohol for the influence peddling mess last year. But I never heard anything about her beating the demons. If she lost Andrews's friendship over all that, she'd be truly miserable.
    I've always liked her, but she sure gets herself into messes.

DonnaMc Guest
    I wish the Royal Wedding would be over already!

FannyB1923 Guest
    After William and Kate comes "Royal Wedding Lite" when Zara Phillips gets married later in the year.

Rumors are flying that Harry is back with his long-time girlfriend Chelsy. I doubt they'd get married in the coming year though.

zack Guest
    Get ready!Get your union jacks out.Like it or not! 2011 is the well thought out year of the return all things British.
    Every local news reporter by april will be doing the accent.And smileys.Catie Couric will be doing it too.It's romantic..LOL.
    Mark my words today.
    You will all be hypnotized by British propaganda!
    Don't forget you saw it here first.

lisalouver Guest
    I remember staying up all night to watch Di and Charles marry. I was 12 or 13 at the time. I thought Diana was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

Kate is absolutley stunning and I wish she and Wills the best. I hope that it is this young couple that brings something warm back to the Royal family.

I recall that the few English Queens named "Catherine" (or variations thereof--- spellings with "K" seem to be interchangeable) have not had the happiest histories. Henry VIII's first of three wives with that name, Catherine of Aragon, of course, he ditched for Anne Boleyn (almost forgot, Queens named "Anne" didn't do too well either) due to the fact that their only surviving child was their daughter Mary (later nicknamed "Bloody" as Queen, and who also died childless and unhappily married.) Catherine later died after being held under house arrest (she bravely refused to acknowledge the annulment declared by Henry's minions), under poor conditions, at age 50.

Catherine Howard was the teenaged bride later executed for alleged adultery, like her cousin Anne Boleyn before her. Catherine Parr managed to survive after several less-than pleasant (childless and and sometimes scary) years of nursing the desperately ill Henry (the third of sickly older husbands she'd been married off to since age 13, IIRC.) But alas, she died just a couple of years later, still in her 30s, after bearing her very first child to her fourth husband who was her true love, but had also behaved very badly with her young stepdaughter who later became Elizabeth I.

The young Queen of the dashing warrior Henry V was Catherine of Valois, whose father was mad and whose mother had a bad reputation. Apparently she was Henry's second choice (her sister Isabella who had been the child-bride and widow of Richard II was an earlier possibility.) But according to legend, they did make a happy marriage that was cut tragically short a few months after she bore the ill-starred Henry VI, when the young father died. Catherine eventually became involved with Owen Tudor, bearing him several children, though it's uncertain whether they legally married, which earned her confinement to a convent and early death at age 36, and her partner's imprisonment and exile. Still, one of her Tudor sons became the ancestor of the Tudor dynasty.

Catherine of Bragnanza was reputedly plain, but devout Catholic princess, married off to Charles II. Though she was actually well-treated and even respected by her spouse, he was of course incessantly unfaithful to her. Worse, the poor woman was unable to bring forth a living child, while all her hubby's mistresses bore a small army of illegitimate offspring, which led in time to the succession passing to the daughters of the first marriage of Charles's brother James II (and fought over with the offspring of his second marriage in the next century.) Still, Catherine was lucky enough to outlive her husband by 20 years, and eventually died a peaceful death in her 60s.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-20-2011 at 10:51 PM.