Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eddie Cochran (Summertime Blues)

Eddie was such a talent! Summertime Blues is one of my favorite rock songs of the era and his guitar playing in that song was legendary. Three Stars is also a very touching song and very under appreciated.

Eddie's passing is tragic to say the least. I did a lot of internet reading and it is fairly easy to trace the route his ill-fated ride took. He took the older A4 route as opposed to the newer M4 which in 1960 had yet to be built. The Hippodrome in Bristol apparently still stands where Eddie played his last gig. The car he was in was a Ford Consul II. Interesting because my earliest car memories was riding in the back of the one our family owned as a 4 year old. The cab driver was sentenced to 6 years in jail for dangerous driving. Scott has a very good entry on Eddie here on FAD. I am a definite fan of Eddie Cochran--- love "Summertime Blues"

Great voice.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Eddie was from Albert Lea, MN. Every summer for decades they have Eddie Cochran Days. It is next weekend. I have been meaning to get down there (its on the Iowa border) lately, but I havent. I just may take the trip down there next weekend. If I do, I will post some pics
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Very cool, Lisa! Hope you make it out there.
    A talent, and a tragic loss, no doubt. For some reason, I had a crush on him from the moment I heard "Summertime Blues" and saw his picture, though he died before I was born. He seemed very sexy, way sexier than Elvis ever seemed to me.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Found this on Youtube a real Death Hag gem and features extensive coverage/interviews of Eddie's fiancée the late Sharon Sheeley. Focuses pretty much exclusively on the night of the crash and its aftermath (Sharon is noteworthy for writing the classic "Poor Little Fool" covered by the late Ricky Nelson):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex8thOruSU

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    Found this on Youtube a real Death Hag gem and features extensive coverage/interviews of Eddie's fiancée the late Sharon Sheeley. Focuses pretty much exclusively on the night of the crash and its aftermath (Sharon is noteworthy for writing the classic "Poor Little Fool" covered by the late Ricky Nelson):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex8thOruSU
    Thank you for posting this! Beautiful and sad, especially the floating-sheet-music images and Sharon's still-broken heart. Loved the beginning with the fans' vivid memories.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Eddie and I share the same MN hometown which is only 30 miles north of the site of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and JP (Big Bopper) Richardson. My sister-in-law's mother used to sing duets with Eddie in grade school. It is so sadly ironic that Eddie recorded the song "Three Stars" in tribute to them only to tragically lose his own life barely a year later.

All were way too young.

He was protecting his fiancée when he was thrown from the car when the door opened. How sad. That must have haunted and touched her.

Hey there! Love the music from the '50s & early '60s. Very familiar with Eddies' music. Can someone please tell me what injuries Eddie sustained in the crash? What injury was the fatal one? I'd appreciate it.

There's a death certificate linked through the FAD main article on him.

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c...20Cochran.html

i realize seeing brian setzer last year in concert is the closest thing i'd ever get to seeing eddie play so i ate it up. been a fan ever since i saw brian play him in la bamba

I'd like to see a picture of Eddie's head, or at least an X-ray... ;-_-

Blue Cheer...........

Eddie was from Albert Lea - here in MN. I try and head down to Eddie Cochran days down there each summer. Its a good time.

As for his gf there was a lot of speculation that she was very controlling and jealous and he had been trying to break it off with her. I always believed that was true.

Someone brought up Brian Setzer - he played Eddie in La Bamba of course, and he has resided here in MN also with his wife since 2000. Awesome singer and amazing guitarist!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Eddie was from Albert Lea - here in MN. I try and head down to Eddie Cochran days down there each summer. Its a good time.
    I would love to make it down there for that someday, seems cool. I've gone down to the historical center and its sad, they have like half a room set up for his stuff. I wish they'd do a bigger tribute, he's one of the more important figures in rock and roll history (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    I would love to make it down there for that someday, seems cool. I've gone down to the historical center and its sad, they have like half a room set up for his stuff. I wish they'd do a bigger tribute, he's one of the more important figures in rock and roll history (IMO).
    I agree with that the center only has a few articles, seems like they could do a lot more, I am sure there may be some people around that knew him or grew up with him - and that they could get more items in? I do think its sad too. He really was a pioneer in early rock and roll.

The Event in the summer is a good time, a lot of old cars too!

There's no better song than Somethin' Else. He is sexy and a true rocker. I'm not an Elvis fan at all, I think it's Eddie all the way. He was more raw, raunchy, sexy, and real. He died probably ten years before I was born, but I was raised on his music. And every day I thank God for that!
    Either this wallpaper goes or I do. ~~Oscar Wilde's purported dying words

I did not get my SpahettiOs. I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this. ~~ Grasso, Thomas J. - 1995 death row inmate on his last meal

Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    There's no better song than Somethin' Else. He is sexy and a true rocker. I'm not an Elvis fan at all, I think it's Eddie all the way. He was more raw, raunchy, sexy, and real. He died probably ten years before I was born, but I was raised on his music. And every day I thank God for that!

My feeling is that Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly were in the making of doing what the Beatles, the Beach Boys, whatever, achieved about a decade later, that is: experimenting with their music, taking it a notch higher, being more involved in the studio and production process than in the "mere" singing and being pop.

Had not these two survived, the Beatles would not have had that long-lasting image of music geniuses. We all have heard platitudes in the like of "if Mozart have lived in the XXth Century, he would have done what the Beatles did". No room for this if Cochran and Holly had lived on: Beach Boys and Beatles would have been followers. Holly and Cochran even might have lived long enough to become as pretentious as John Lennon, with an opinion about everything and believing they're in the same league as Toscanini or Boulez, the kind of morons you invite over at dinner so that you and your friends can make fun of them without their knowing.

On the other hand, there is not a single chance in my mind that Cochran would have competed with Elvis. Talk about major league and minor league, here.
    But yes, he wrote quite a number of masterpieces of the minor art that pop music is. And dying at this age and thousands of kilometers away from home is awful.

J.
    Last edited by J from Paris; 06-26-2021 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typos

This is interesting J. I have never liked the Beatles; never understood them. I have tried.* So it seems fate took away some artists I could have appreciated more had they lived longer, and the Beatles would have been tamped down or overshadowed.

*I like Wings, et al, what they did after the break up. For years I have wanted to take a closer look at the work of John Lennon.
    Leggo My Eggo!