Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi

onehunglow Guest

Looks like Ellen needs Hormones

Wow a true melt down. Sad. I like her.

ComputerGuy Guest
    I agree with her. Poor puppy.

different kind of girl Guest
    It was good to see that side of her. Can't be happy all the time.

I didn't see the show, but I heard about it all on another board I visit (the one where all the thin-skinned people reign supreme!) - while I applaud Ellen for giving the puppy to a better home, I think maybe she should have went about it the right away so all these hearts didn't get broken...JMO

RoRo Guest
    I read that her partner actually signed the contract so maybe Ellen didn't realize but that group didn't have to be such nazis about it

One size fits all rules and laws don't work.Never have never will.The Orig. should have taken into account Ellens dedication to animal welfare.She would never put an animal in harms way.I love her as much for that as anything else.

knothere Guest
    I still love Ellen she has done so much good for lots other people.
    She's just human to a fault if that's a bad thing.

Kathyf Guest
    They had a news story on today with a couple other state agencies. They all said they would have left the animal and checked on it. I think that woman is just trying to get media attention. I think Ellen was truly upset.

pvezz Guest
    When we adopted our greyhounds, we too signed contracts that we would not give the dogs away. If something would happen where we decided we couldn't keep them, we were to return them to the rescue group. This is perfectly reasonable, I think. The group loves and cares about these dogs, and the group wants to make sure that the dogs go to homes where they will be taken care of.

That said, I think the agency in this case is just being hard-nosed. It seems pretty clear that Ellen did what she thought was right, and the dog WAS placed in a loving, caring home. They should have smacked Ellen on the wrist for not following the rules then commended her for doing what was best for the dog.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Well...
    Having worked in animal rescue...I know all about the contracts that are signed...and yes, they are legal and binding contracts....as any other legal contract you sign, you are obligated to follow it thru...
    The main contention of this group, if I read correctly, is that for the safety of smaller animals, they do not adopt to families with children under the age of 14....the family that wound up with the dog had an 11 and 13 year old...that, and I am sure the contract stated, as did all the one we had signed, that if you can no longer keep the dog, it will be returned to the rescue...thats usually standard on most rescue forms...
    Now...we could debate the terms of the contract....saying this is not fair...or doesn't make sense...but the fact of the matter is...a legal contract WAS read AND signed..and then not followed....
    My personal feelings may clash with my professional feelings...but I know if I were to sign any legal document..it means I am prepared to abide by it..if I do not agree...then I should not sign it...

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Well...
    Having worked in animal rescue...I know all about the contracts that are signed...and yes, they are legal and binding contracts....as any other legal contract you sign, you are obligated to follow it thru...
    The main contention of this group, if I read correctly, is that for the safety of smaller animals, they do not adopt to families with children under the age of 14....the family that wound up with the dog had an 11 and 13 year old...that, and I am sure the contract stated, as did all the one we had signed, that if you can no longer keep the dog, it will be returned to the rescue...thats usually standard on most rescue forms...
    Now...we could debate the terms of the contract....saying this is not fair...or doesn't make sense...but the fact of the matter is...a legal contract WAS read AND signed..and then not followed....
    My personal feelings may clash with my professional feelings...but I know if I were to sign any legal document..it means I am prepared to abide by it..if I do not agree...then I should not sign it...
    This is true. when we "rescued" our dog we signed such a contract. the contract also stated that if the rescue had reason to believe we were not taking good care of the dog, they could come and do a review of his living conditions. I signed that they could come and check out my home when they wanted. They never have. Infact, I did write them after we adopted, and I really have to wonder if they really do remember the dog we adopted...

I agree, the contract was signed. As heart wrenching as it is. I do feel for Ellen in this and the family she gave the dog to. I personally think the rescue involved here is being unfair, but...rules are rules.

Snoopy Guest
    I really feel bad for the dog..poor thing must be confused..and Ellen was only trying to do the right thing..I saw the owner on the news..she is a nut job it seems to me! and as much as I think threats of death and arson are way over the line she is supposed to be thinking of the dog and the dog was happy where it was with those two little girls!

mommafreak Guest
    I know a contract is a contract, a binding agreement when a hand-shake isn't good enough. When your stipulating rules and regulations, then I think in writing is best, both agree, however................ how many of us actually read the tiny print that encompasses 4 pages of contract when purchasing a car, loan, etc. We all pretty much know it's their legal lingo. With that said, if their are certain things in a contract that need or MUST be mentioned, move that statement up to the top of the contract, perhaps putting it in bold font and explain that. Most people develop allergies and my first inclination would be to find a loving home for the pet, but how many of us will say, "oh, i'll just give him back". at least with a friend, you can visit it from time to time, for those of us who adore pets. I gave away a dog one time because of allergies and it broke my heart, it was one of the best pets, but I had to, yet I had a friend who took it in, and I still get to see my ex-pet, it's awesome. So, if it's a clause in a contrast that might propose a problem, make it verbal. I hate surprise stuff in contracts where the print is too tiny or it's legal lingo.

xenaswolf Guest
    From what I saw of the interview with the rescue group, it looks like the authorities need to check out the conditions of that place. The little bit I saw on tv looked like the place was a dump.

meggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Well...

Good points! Though it seems the family would have cared lovingly for the little dog, the problem is when you sign the contract and have good intentions as Ellen surely did, what if the people you give the dog to get tired of it and just give it to someone else or put it on the street? You really can never say what someone else will do--and if you sign the contract, you are considered responsible. I wish Ellen had given more thought to it....they will probably figure it out and have a big love fest show with the dog and everyone coming together on it. Did you hear the VM left to the lady who owned the shelter from Ellen's legal folks? Not very nice...it's just a bad situation. Hope the dog gets a good home regardless. I am glad Ellen does a lot for animals (and people), so maybe this will all work out.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    I heard on the news the little dog has actually been rehomed...as of yesterday, I believe....The legal counsel for the rescue said that IF Ellen had called and said I can no longer care for the dog, but I know of a family that CAN, and then had that family submit an adoption application, it would have seriously been considered...
    Either way...there was some wrong done on all sides...but its over now...learn and go on....
    As far as not reading the small print on the contract...most adoption contracts are pretty simple...2 pages TOPS....saying that they can come to check up on the animal if they feel the need, that you will provide veterinary care, the animal will be spayed/neutered (if not done so already), and you will keep it safe...most have the clause about if you can no longer keep it, then it should be reurned to the shelter..
    Now...since most rescues are private...they can add onto this almost any additional rules they feel relevant....and some that state that small dogs (usually under 25 lbs) cannot be homed in homes with children...
    Some may see this as unfair...but, look at it from the rescuer's point of view for a second...
    The rescue I worked for cared for MANY dogs...and we made sure every dog homed was healthy, spayed/neutered, UTD on vacs, and HW neg. Most dogs when they came into the shelter were ill, had worms, had wounds, needed vacs and the spay/neuter...and about 40% of the dogs also came in HW+...so they needed to be treated before being homed...we would spend as much as $600.00 on one dog getting it healthy...and the adoption fee was never more than $65.00. So, the owner just wanted to make sure that for her investment, that the dog was in the best possible home...some of her rules I sometimes did not agree with..but it was her shelter..and she did ALOT of good...
    Now I guess you know more than you ever wanted to know on THAT subject, lol....

tgster Guest
    I was on Ellen's side until I heard rumors that she may have done this before at least one other time and maybe as many as nine times (allegedly). Has anyone else heard rumors?

onehunglow Guest

The only thing

Quote Originally Posted by tgster View Post
    I was on Ellen's side until I heard rumors that she may have done this before at least one other time and maybe as many as nine times (allegedly). Has anyone else heard rumors?
    I heard was this was taped and they could have gave her a retake. I have no opinion but did hear that today.

tgster Guest
    I meant that she allegedly may have adopted up to nine other pets and couldn't keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by tgster View Post
    I meant that she allegedly may have adopted up to nine other pets and couldn't keep them.
    Well, I hope that isn't true. But then again, she seems to be the same way about her girlfriends also...

Andrea Guest
    I have an adopted ex-racehorse and part of the written agreement is that you keep the agency updated and not sell or give away the horse without contacting them. And yes, they do checks and if they don't like the way things are going (which are just the things you agreed to) they will retrieve the horse. She should have called the agency and gotten their approval --- I have to do updates on the horse I have (who I've had for 3 years now) so they can send pictures, etc. to the former owners. If I were ever to give the horse away (which I'm not going to), I would have to let them know and they would screen the new owners. Especially with the ex-racehorses, so many go to slaughter and can be sold for their meat value (which is generally shipped to Europe)...........keep to the terms you agree to IMO or don't do it at all.

Andrea

lisalouver Guest

Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi

In keeping with the gay marriage issue on the board, looks like Ellen and Portia are going to take the plunge!

http://www.comcast.net/articles/tv/2...len.DeGeneres/

Good for them!

Wow, I'm surprised they are still together. Ellen goes thru girlfriends like kleenex...

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised they are still together. Ellen goes thru girlfriends like kleenex...
    LOL, Portia is kind of hot though!

Any thoughts on Portia, Aries?

By that I mean, with Anne, she "went back" to men. Do you get the feeling that Portia is just doing it for the moment, or really in love with her?

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    LOL, Portia is kind of hot though!

Any thoughts on Portia, Aries?

By that I mean, with Anne, she "went back" to men. Do you get the feeling that Portia is just doing it for the moment, or really in love with her?
    I think Portia is really Gay, but she's also 15 years younger than Ellen, and her career has stalled since she hooked up with Ellen.

Ellen dumped someone to get together with Portia. Only a matter of time before karma comes around...

lisalouver Guest
    Ellen dumped someone to get together with Portia. Only a matter of time before karma comes around...
    That is so, so true.

That's right. Portia dumped Ringo Starr's daughter Alice Starkey to be with Ellen as well. It won't last.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

hoxharding Guest
    Didn't she and another woman break up and pretty much switch partners?
    It was either Ringo Starr's stepdaughter or the daughter of the guy who was on 'Lost in Space'
    I could be way off-but Portia and Ellen seem to be a good fit. The only problems I have with Portia are:
    1) She seems to be back to superskinny again-this after going public about her bout with anorexia
    2) She doesn't seem to be working as much anymore-this is a shame since she is very talented.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I'm not feeling the love for Ellen from the ladies in this thread! She seems like a sweet lady with a kind heart. I always kind of thought Anne Heche permanently scared her and broke her heart and feel bad for her, but maybe I don't know the whole thing.

The Enquirer followed Portia and Barbara Bach's daughter (Ringo's stepdaughter) pretty closely. I think they actually had a ceremony and everything, but I recall it was unraveling pre-Ellen.

**Jenna** Guest
    I love Ellen, and that Portia chick is really pretty. Hope they have a nice life together.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I like Ellen Degeneres. She is like totally cool when she dances on her show. I really enjoy that.

I don't have an opinion on the state of their relationship, but they look good together, really well groomed and put together.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

cynnbox Guest
    im happy for them, as well as all the couples in cali.

ozzysmom Guest
    I couldn't be happier for them. Ellen is such a kind, generous person and I'm soooo happy that she and Portia can get married. Hope they televise it!!!

**Jenna** Guest
    If I was a lesbian or Bi I would want her. She seems so nice and loves animals,but she is almost old enough to be my mother.

knothere Guest
    i say they r in love in i wish them the best

You're right...good for them. Ellen sure knows how to pick 'em. Anne Heche, anyone? I'm kidding. Good for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

I love her comedy from back in the day and her comedy show was hilarious before she came out but it was slightly too lesbian preachy afterwards. Im glad shes found someone after that awful first lunatic she was with. Portia is absolutely georgious.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

should we start a thread "women who look like old homosexual men"?
    pull the string!

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    should we start a thread "women who look like old homosexual men"?
    Rosie O'Donnell! Or does she belong in the men who look like lesbian thread?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

pvezz Guest
    Ellen is one of two female comics I find funny. The other is Lisa Lampanelli.

Portia is HOT!!!

I bet I have a chance with her...uh, wait, I just scratched my balls.

Maybe not so good a chance, I'll keep fantasizing about Anne.

Both are lovely women, Ellen is pretty, and although a woman, she has "balls".

I wish them well, and much happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Ellen is one of two female comics I find funny. The other is Lisa Lampanelli.
    I love female comics. Wanda Sykes, Kathy Griffin (too fucking hilarious), Paula Poundstone, Loni Love. Theres more cant think right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I love female comics. Wanda Sykes, Kathy Griffin (too fucking hilarious), Paula Poundstone, Loni Love. Theres more cant think right now.
    Actually Suzanne Westenhoefer is my favorite one.

Actually Suzanne Westenhoefer is my favorite one.
    Is she the one that did the skit about being Martina Navratalovas favourite comic and having to sit on her lap at an Elton John concert? That shit almost made me wreck my car!

djdeath-hag Guest
    I love Suzanne Westenhofer.......and I personally wish, hope & pray that Ellen & Portia will set a great example of gay marriage! Celebs are often challenged by making a lifetime run of a marriage.....but I do hope that E & P will have a lasting loving union.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I love Suzanne Westenhofer.......and I personally wish, hope & pray that Ellen & Portia will set a great example of gay marriage! Celebs are often challenged by making a lifetime run of a marriage.....but I do hope that E & P will have a lasting loving union.
    I for one with that me, Harrison Ford circa 1981, Ian McCullough circa 1987, George Clooney circa 1998, and Aiden Shaw or Tom Chase (sigh, esp. Tom Chase - do an unfiltered google image search of him if unfamiliar!) would set an example of what gay marriage could be throughout various times in the late 20th century with use of a sexy gay time machine!

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Is she the one that did the skit about being Martina Navratalovas favourite comic and having to sit on her lap at an Elton John concert? That shit almost made me wreck my car!
    Yep, that's the one! I saw her live once, (back in SF in the early 90's) and I had tears rolling out of my eyes the entire time. She's fuckin' hilarious.

She's got a few live CDs and DVDs out now - love them all!

Snudgie Guest
    Yay! I love Ellen she's brilliant, and Portia always cracked me up in "Ally Mcbeal"

Hope they are happy together for many years. xxx

knothere Guest
    i love porta in arrested development