Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lennon

DeadRinger Guest
    October 9 is also Sean Lennon's birthday, he was born on John's 35th birthday.

Happy birthday, Lennon men.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post

I didnt know that. Learn something new everyday I come here.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_evil1 View Post
    I didnt know that. Learn something new everyday I come here.

This kind of information is the sort of stuff you know when you're a MAJOR Beatles freak.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    Wasn't sure if you were serious or not regarding Yoko Ono. I have mixed feelings from stories I've heard concerning the "lost weekend,". . . I do like her early fluxus art work. I have an early copy of her book Grape Fruit. I think that she helped John find some things he was looking for.
    I think Yoko has gotten a bit of a bad rap all these years. He clearly loved her very much, and although I don't personally care for her art or her music (God help us!) I think that she had a very positive effect on him and his music.

Has anyone seen the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus? It plays on one of the PBS stations. One of the groups that performed was a supergroup consisting of Eric Clapton and John Lennon (and others). So they are up on the stage jamming and playing a great song when all of a sudden Lennon starts nodding to and gesturing at Yoko to come on the stage. After a bit she agrees and gets on the stage and starts with her awful caterwauling, which of course John is really into. My husband and I always wondered what the other musicians are thinking.

ratkin638 Guest
    I agree that she's gotten a bad rap from fans, and the "Yoko broke up the Beatles" routine is too ridiculous for words. She doubtless saved John from bankruptcy, and was a great business manager.

You folks can debate her art among yourselves - - not my thing. When it comes to Yoko and music, though, I have objections. I think that I actually prefer nails on a blackboard to her singing. I also have serious questions about her taste and sense of decorum in using the picture in my earlier post as an album cover. It was too soon, then. It probably still is.

rickenbacker Guest
    Yeah, I don't care much for Yoko's "work". And no, she didn't singlehandedly break up the Beatles. Enough blame there to go around! What I always think of when analyzing John's life (and I do a lot), is that by God, those two loved each other in a way most of us can't comprehend. They are right up there with Johnny Cash & June Carter. Same with Paul & Linda. That's a strong bond.

lab_rat Guest
    Is there a Beatles Social Group? Would anyone be interested in one?

rickenbacker Guest
    I'd be interested!!

im in.!! anything with the beatles.sounds good to me.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    I'm totally there.

Some of you people seem to forget how badly Yoko treated Julian and Cynthia and the rest of Johns family after he was killed. All she cared about was Sean and herself. Keeping everything for them only.
    Paul asked her on the label of Yesterday if Mc Cartney could go before Lennon because it was 100% his song. Yoko said no way. Paul said that he knew that John would of said yes.

stranger_than_strange Guest

why?

I wonder even though John's murderer is in protective custody how come he's still alive? If someone wanted him dead he would be, protective custody or not it's been done before.
    I agree if he ever gets out of prison he will forever be looking over his shoulder but I'm still suprised that he's managed to live this long.

13. 10-10-2008, 03:09 AM

ratkin638 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    I have taken the liberty of starting a new Social Group as described here. It's called "Meet The Beatles (Fans)."

C'mon over and join up.

Or should I have said "Come Together"?

Noelle Page Guest
    Ratkin, have you read the Albert Goldman book? What do you think of him?

ratkin638 Guest
    I didn't. Goldman's reputation preceeds him. If I have to read a book wondering if what I'm reading is true or not...I have an easy way to save money!

Noelle Page Guest
    Oh well, I like him. As long as it wasn't my psyche he was exploring or my reputation he was ruining, i found his books highly entertaining. Brutal as he could be, I did feel they were ultimately homages to his subjects, in a twisted way.

What was his reputation btw? I think I posted earlier that I knew someone whose cousin dated him or something, and said he was "a noodge."

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    I have taken the liberty of starting a new Social Group as described here. It's called "Meet The Beatles (Fans)."

C'mon over and join up.

Or should I have said "Come Together"?

I'm there!

Pamebabby Guest
    A good read is Let Me Take you Down, by Jack Jones. A LOT about Crapman, but it gives a good look into his head. (Frightening) I hope they DO let him out someday while I'm still able to move....he won't be seeing much of the outside for long. I would blow that fat prick away in a minute, then shove the Catcher in the Rye book up his bubble ass. Man, someone like him NOW feels so sorry about what he did...doesn't look like it affected his appetite any. Frickin' creep.

Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    I think that she helped John find some things he was looking for.
    Yep, totally agree. He was always looking for a mother replacement and she fit that in a way. The song Julia is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger

Yoko planned a C-section on that day. It's in one of my Beatles books somewhere--Lennon, maybe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Princess Kim Guest
    Late to the game, but here are my pictures from Lennon-related New York, taken during my trip in July 2008.

Also, does anyone know the exact spot where Lennon was shot?

ratkin638 Guest
    Assuming that you don't mean anatomically, the shooting took place in the main entranceway, on the 72nd street side of the building.

Princess Kim Guest
    Assuming that you don't mean anatomically, the shooting took place in the main entranceway, on the 72nd street side of the building.
    Thank you so much!

hotmama Guest
    i just happened to go to a website filled with blind items. gossip in which you guess the celebrity. now why didn't my fellow death hags tell me john lennon liked dudes?? i hear he wanted to sex paul and he had a affair with another man. he was named but i forgot. john even fantasized about sexing his own mother and wished he'd done it. WTF??? now paul is furious and yoko is trying to do damage control. this has supposedly all came out in a magazine. tell me something my fellow death hags, i am shocked and amazed!!! spit out the info!!!

Layla331 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    i just happened to go to a website filled with blind items. gossip in which you guess the celebrity. now why didn't my fellow death hags tell me john lennon liked dudes?? i hear he wanted to sex paul and he had a affair with another man. he was named but i forgot. john even fantasized about sexing his own mother and wished he'd done it. WTF??? now paul is furious and yoko is trying to do damage control. this has supposedly all came out in a magazine. tell me something my fellow death hags, i am shocked and amazed!!! spit out the info!!!
    I dont know what his preferences were sexually..but to be honest i dont think id be that shocked to hear he'd had bi experiences...not sayin i believe the paul or other crap...

ratkin638 Guest
    A lot of people who knew him well discount that report. Journalists like to make month too.

It's worth noting that for years the report has been around that Brian Epstein was gay, and was particularly interested in Lennon. Those stories generally had it that John was very uncomfortable anytime he and Epstein were likely to be along.

hotmama Guest
    well, where the beatles are from dudes doing dudes is not a surprised. they are not like us. all uptight about homosexuality. so he may have had bi experiences. and to dispel this myth that because you think you know someone well that means they are not gay or bi. people kill me with that. i have a friend who is bi and we grew up together. i never knew she was bi until i went to see her and i had not seen her in a while. i went to her bedroom to wake her and she was in bed butt naked with another women!! WTF!! i was like dayum. so i just acted normal like i saw nothing and invited her to my daughter's birthday party.so i was so shocked that i told my brother who is also gay. when he saw her he said "how's your love life" lol. she was like "i know your sister told you" so we all laughed about it. she is bi, she is bi so what we still love her.

As far as her using that photo as an album cover, I was completely serious. For the "classy" part, I was serious in a snide, semi-nasty - - okay, down-right sarcastic - - sort of way.

Well I think she had every right to use the picture, he really died a horrific death and she was right there,
    unlike many I really do like Yoko and find her very funny

Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post

He may have had some bi experience but John was very testorone driven.

ratkin638 Guest
    Since we had pictures of the Dakota and the Strawberry Fields plaque earlier, I thought I'd throw this in. I took it today, so it's fresh out of the camera!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	8989

lab_rat Guest
    This sounds like it might be a good read.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2023...0.html?cnn=yes

the corpse bride Guest

Exclamation john lennon

The only proper place for those that cannot control their murderous ways is either prison or death. And I don't agree with keeping someone alive who has stated that he really should have killed his father instead.... HELLO PEOPLE!! he has just stated that he wants to KILL again, and that makes him dangerous. IF he were released he would be a walking target for some people. HECK, he even has to kept as a a special prisoner to keep him alive in prison, where he has limited contact with others.

Bayou Queen Guest
    I know no one has posted on this for awhile, but someone mentioned Julian Lennon.

I have so many books on the Fab Four , I read John by Cynthia Lennon, and so many other books on the Beatles. One of the best was Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd. Guess it's obvious I was a Beatle fan from the get go. I found this this You Tube, it's an interview with Julian Lennon and it is very insightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eV7ZsghCs

ratkin638 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
    I know no one has posted on this for awhile, but someone mentioned Julian Lennon.

I have so many books on the Fab Four , I read John by Cynthia Lennon, and so many other books on the Beatles. One of the best was Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd. Guess it's obvious I was a Beatle fan from the get go. I found this this You Tube, it's an interview with Julian Lennon and it is very insightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eV7ZsghCs
    With a qualification like that, you belong in the "Meet The Beatles (Fans)" social group! Get over there, quick, and join!

Mrs Tingles Guest
    I get so angry when i think of John's death. I have crazy anger toward that guy who killed him. Imagine if he was still here. I wonder how much impact he would have today and whether the world would have been a better place if he was still here.

Pamebabby Guest
    Reading these posts, I find I am not alone in missing John. He was contraversial, out-spoken, and I guess people either liked him, or didn't. There was no in-between with John. I have always felt he was the voice of my generation, and that voice was quieted on Dec.8, 1980. I loved him with the Beatles, and didn't always like everything he did by himself, or with Yoko.But some of his work will be eternal, such as Imagine. My husband and I both have asked to have that song played at our funerals, and I also want Across the Universe. I never thought much about Yoko, but I do admire how she carried on with her life after John's death. I know she treated Cynthia and Julian badly, but she was John's wife when he died, and had control over his estate. He could have provided better for them himself in his will, but didn't. I sometimes wish he'd never met Yoko, he would probably still be alive in England. But I've read he was happy in New York, and wanted to stay there. He enjoyed freedom like he hadn't had in years. To not have any type of security, IMO, was just stupid of him. I loved the guy, but he was an idiot not to have someone guarding him. I read he and Yoko didn't want any security because they were doing drugs, and didn't want someone there to witness it. But, they were going to hire back a security guard that week, since someone pointed out to them Sean might be in danger. Sadly, John didn't live out the week. The anniversary of his death isn't far away, and during the holidays he is on my mind a lot. He burst onto the scene back in the early 60s, and nobody was the same after that. He was like a comet....he shot into view, awed and entertained us, then burned out quicky, forever gone. Miss ya, Johnny. RIP.

stephenmiller Guest

John Lennon versus Strom Thurmond!

Anyone ever hear about this story about how ancient Senator Strom Thurmond tried to deport John Lennon back in 1972? Comments?

Sodapop Guest
    I'm from South Carolina and I've never heard this story before, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Good ol' Strom!

I saw the documentary around John's birthday. "The U.S. vs. John Lennon"...I believe was what it was called. What a bunch of horseshit. They just didnt like what he had to say and wanted him gone.

DeadRinger Guest
    The Strom Thurmond incident was why John was so reluctant to return to England in the years before his death - he was worried they wouldn't let him back in.

xenaswolf Guest

Newsflash!

VATICAN FORGIVES JOHN LENNON!!!
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27857596/?GT1=43001

Damn, and I thought I held a grudge...42 years after a comment His Holy Robes forgives a dead man.

Armcast Guest
    Love it! I wonder if I'll ever be forgiven for seeing "The DaVinci Code"...

"To err is human but to forgive is divine" ... 42 years .. wow !!!!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

guardmom2008 Guest
    Geez better late than never.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    Geez better late than never.
    It`s the way of the church, don`t cha know....

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    It`s the way of the church, don`t cha know....
    Only to well,
    they forgave my FIL for getting a divorce only after he went through classes that he had to pay for and pay the church money as well.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    Only to well,
    they forgave my FIL for getting a divorce only after he went through classes that he had to pay for and pay the church money as well.

that sounds like scientology

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Well, I bet John is relieved...Gimme a break! Who the hell needs forgiveness for a totally true comment...I think I'll go puke now...

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    that sounds like scientology
    That was actually our Catholic Church, our Priest already told us that it was okay if we didn't make it to church just as long as we sent money that would be fine.

TheMysterian Guest
    That's great,I just hope they lock the doors when Yoko get's there,that noise she calls singing is unforgivable!

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    This is great news!!! It gives me hope that I may someday be able to forgive the Vatican...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress