Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Little Darlings"

"Little Darlings"

I just watched this one again this afternoon...

I first saw it at the theatre in 1980 when I was 15. Loved Kristy McNichol's role as "Angel" ("don't let the name fool ya!"). What baby dyke at 15 wanted to be like her - wearing the jean jacket and jeans, tank tops and chain-smoking Marlboros. (that was me at 15!)

Too bad it's yet to be released on DVD. I heard somewhere the licensing rights to the songs in the movie are what's holding it up.

Hmm...I wonder which one? (all info is from IMDB.com)

Only 6 songs were used for the whole movie.

Here's some interesting trivia about the movie:
    • Kristy McNichol took up smoking as part of the preparation for the role, but couldn't quit the habit.
    • Tatum O'Neal had a tendency to forget her lines during shooting.
    • During one scene, Kristy McNichol sits in the crowd looking bored as some other girls perform "The Sister's Song" from "The Pirates of Penzance." In the 1982 film The Pirate Movie (1982), McNichol wound up sitting through the song again, performed by her on-screen sisters.
    • Although Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol were cast at about the same time, O'Neal had approval over which lead role she would play and she chose to play Ferris.
    • The musical score was originally going to be composed by Carole Bayer Sager but she left the project.
    • Several cast members performed musical and comedy routines for the rest of the cast and crew on the nights no filming took place.

Alternate version of the film:

• NBC broadcast this film in early 1983(and reran it in mid-1984)using an alternate version complete with originally cut footage to replace the risque material as well as sloppy dubbing to cover up all traces of "virginity loss". In one case, when Cinder askes Sunshine to "play something sexy" on her flute, the dubbing changed the line to "play something SULTRY." In place of "whoever loses her virginity first--wins!" came the change "whoever gets a guy first--wins!" There was also a huge new scene brought out of the vault which had Angel saving Ferris from drowning after Ferris' boat capsizes in a storm.
    • The US home video has music which differs from the theatrical version.
    I've seen the alternate version when it was on TV back in the 80's (regular TV - not cable). I'm really hoping when and IF it comes out on DVD - all those extra scenes are included.

Goofs in the movie:

• Continuity: The color of Ferris' blouse changes from purple to pink in the course of the food fight sequence.
    • Continuity: During the sequence on the tire-swings with Ferris, Angel's hair is being blown about by the wind coming from her right. But in the tight close-ups, her feathered hair is not only perfectly in place and very still, but much flufflier than in the long shot.
    • Continuity: After stealing a condom machine from a men's bathroom, the girls pile into the school bus with Ferris sitting in the front right-hand seat holding the big metal machine, but in the following long-shot of the bus pulling away there is nobody in that seat.
    • Continuity: The color of the boat changes from green to yellow and then back to green when Angel picks up Randy (to go to the boathouse).
    • Continuity: In the scene on the bus at the beginning of the movie, Angel is smoking a cigarette, then when she and Ferris begin to fight, the cigarette disappears.
    Alexa Kenin who played "Dana" (the older, dark-haired girl always reading the sex books) died in 1985 shortly after "Pretty in Pink" was filmed. (She played Jena in the movie). She was found dead in her Manhattan apartment, from what they are saying by either a bad asthma attack, or beaten to death by a boyfriend or a disgruntled fan she blew off. No set cause has ever been explained.

Cynthia Nixon (from "Sex in the City") plays the little hippie girl "Sunshine" in the movie. She recently came out of the closet and is dating a nice, big butch gal.

Any other fans wish to add on?

mel306 Guest
    i used to love this movie.

lisalouver Guest
    Great movie and great trivia. I was just talking about the fact that Cynthia Nixon was Sunshine.

I loved Kristy in it, matter of fact, I loved Kristy as Buddy in "Family" I wanted to be her so bad when I was young. In 1980, I was 12, so it was about the right time for me!

Matt Dillion was every 80's girls dream in that movie.

Aries: Kristy is a lesbian, is'nt she? Although at this time, no one knew?

Yes, she is. As a matter of fact, if I'm NOT mistaken, she was dating Liberace's niece. Have you seen Kristy lately? She looks a bit like Jackie Warner from Work Out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

hoxharding Guest
    I haven't seen Kirsty as of late and I have been wondering how she looks and what she is doing.
    Now,is the boat scene different from another scene? I swear I saw a scene where Ferris is drowning and Kirsty saves her.
    I haven't seen this film in years- I used to watch this and 'Meatballs' at least once a year(around Summer time of course)

I LOVED Meatballs. My best friend and I had a crush on Chris Makepeace. We used to watch that and My Bodygaurd ALL THE TIME! Whatever happened to him?

itsintheeyes Guest
    Baby dyke. lol.

Tatum O'Neal was my girl crush. I just loved how she would say "Mr. Callaghan".

Saw Meatballs a couple of weeks ago. Chris Makepeace has beautiful eyes.

The girl in part two, Kim Richards, was another girl crush of mine. lol

hoxharding Guest
    I heard what happened to him but it was at least a few years ago. Remember
    'Hardware'?
    He has become a respected actor who has been in many films(Matt Craven) He was
    the guy who was seen trying to help Tim Robbins in 'Jacob's Ladder'.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Yes, she is. As a matter of fact, if I'm NOT mistaken, she was dating Liberace's niece. Have you seen Kristy lately? She looks a bit like Jackie Warner from Work Out.
    Wow. I am going to have to take a look! I have not seen her in many years. I must google!

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by itsintheeyes View Post
    Baby dyke. lol.

Tatum O'Neal was my girl crush. I just loved how she would say "Mr. Callaghan".

Saw Meatballs a couple of weeks ago. Chris Makepeace has beautiful eyes.

The girl in part two, Kim Richards, was another girl crush of mine. lol

You know who Kim is an Aunt to don't you? Her sister is Kyle(Halloween)
    Their nieces are Paris and Nicky Hilton!
    Kim was also in the 'Escape to Witch Mountain' and 'Return to Witch Mountain' films and 'Hello Larry' among other things.

She does to me, anyway. A slightly larger version of her. I LOVED The Pirate Movie, too. I saw it three times in a row when it first came out! I had a crush on Chris Atkins and met him at a celebrity car race in Phoenix back in '82. When I met him again in LA in the 90's, I showed him the picture of us and he autographed it! LOL.

hoxharding Guest
    She does to me, anyway. A slightly larger version of her. I LOVED The Pirate Movie, too. I saw it three times in a row when it first came out! I had a crush on Chris Atkins and met him at a celebrity car race in Phoenix back in '82. When I met him again in LA in the 90's, I showed him the picture of us and he autographed it! LOL.

Cool! Remember her brother Jimmy? I had a crush on him. There is an old horror film that he was in. It was pretty disturbing: 'Night Warning'(1983)
    Bo Svenson and Bill Paxton were also in it.

I think Kirsty had a small rple in '2 Moon Junction' I thought she was cool. She was the reason I watched Family.

lisalouver Guest
    I LOVED that movie too!!! I still have the LP. I had the hugest crush on Chris too, first in Blue Lagoon and then in The Pirate Movie.

I can still sing all the songs!

That is cool story that you met him not once, but twice, and got the autograph!

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post

I think Kristy had a small role in '2 Moon Junction' I thought she was cool. She was the reason I watched Family.
    Her only nude role too...

motherogod Guest
    EXCELLENT THREAD! I haven't seen this movie in a hundred years, but my friend has The Pirate Movie on DVD and we spout lines all the time.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I just watched this one again this afternoon...

I first saw it at the theatre in 1980 when I was 15. Loved Kristy McNichol's role as "Angel" ("don't let the name fool ya!"). What baby dyke at 15 wanted to be like her - wearing the jean jacket and jeans, tank tops and chain-smoking Marlboros. (that was me at 15!)

Too bad it's yet to be released on DVD. I heard somewhere the licensing rights to the songs in the movie are what's holding it up.

Hmm...I wonder which one? (all info is from IMDB.com)
    Only 6 songs were used for the whole movie.

Here's some interesting trivia about the movie:
    • Kristy McNichol took up smoking as part of the preparation for the role, but couldn't quit the habit.
    • Tatum O'Neal had a tendency to forget her lines during shooting.
    • During one scene, Kristy McNichol sits in the crowd looking bored as some other girls perform "The Sister's Song" from "The Pirates of Penzance." In the 1982 film The Pirate Movie (1982), McNichol wound up sitting through the song again, performed by her on-screen sisters.
    • Although Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol were cast at about the same time, O'Neal had approval over which lead role she would play and she chose to play Ferris.
    • The musical score was originally going to be composed by Carole Bayer Sager but she left the project.
    • Several cast members performed musical and comedy routines for the rest of the cast and crew on the nights no filming took place.
    Alternate version of the film:
    • NBC broadcast this film in early 1983(and reran it in mid-1984)using an alternate version complete with originally cut footage to replace the risque material as well as sloppy dubbing to cover up all traces of "virginity loss". In one case, when Cinder askes Sunshine to "play something sexy" on her flute, the dubbing changed the line to "play something SULTRY." In place of "whoever loses her virginity first--wins!" came the change "whoever gets a guy first--wins!" There was also a huge new scene brought out of the vault which had Angel saving Ferris from drowning after Ferris' boat capsizes in a storm.
    • The US home video has music which differs from the theatrical version.
    I've seen the alternate version when it was on TV back in the 80's (regular TV - not cable). I'm really hoping when and IF it comes out on DVD - all those extra scenes are included.

Goofs in the movie:
    • Continuity: The color of Ferris' blouse changes from purple to pink in the course of the food fight sequence.
    • Continuity: During the sequence on the tire-swings with Ferris, Angel's hair is being blown about by the wind coming from her right. But in the tight close-ups, her feathered hair is not only perfectly in place and very still, but much flufflier than in the long shot.
    • Continuity: After stealing a condom machine from a men's bathroom, the girls pile into the school bus with Ferris sitting in the front right-hand seat holding the big metal machine, but in the following long-shot of the bus pulling away there is nobody in that seat.
    • Continuity: The color of the boat changes from green to yellow and then back to green when Angel picks up Randy (to go to the boathouse).
    • Continuity: In the scene on the bus at the beginning of the movie, Angel is smoking a cigarette, then when she and Ferris begin to fight, the cigarette disappears.
    Alexa Kenin who played "Dana" (the older, dark-haired girl always reading the sex books) died in 1985 shortly after "Pretty in Pink" was filmed. (She played Jena in the movie). She was found dead in her Manhattan apartment, from what they are saying by either a bad asthma attack, or beaten to death by a boyfriend or a disgruntled fan she blew off. No set cause has ever been explained.

Cynthia Nixon (from "Sex in the City") plays the little hippie girl "Sunshine" in the movie. She recently came out of the closet and is dating a nice, big butch gal.

Any other fans wish to add on?
    I think its the Ian Matthews song Shake It that is preventing LD from being on DVD. Ihavent heard that song in YEARS and it was a big hit at the time. The Blondie and Bellamy Brothers tunes have been used quite a bit elsewhere so I doubt it will be those. The others I am not sure.

One interesting thing about Little Darlings. The movie was filmed quite a bit in Atlanta. The scene where Kristy and her mother pulls up to the camp bus. Keep you eye on the billboard in the background that is for "Channel 17 WTCG".

Chances are you know about that channel. It became Superstation TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I think its the Ian Matthews song Shake It that is preventing LD from being on DVD. Ihavent heard that song in YEARS and it was a big hit at the time. The Blondie and Bellamy Brothers tunes have been used quite a bit elsewhere so I doubt it will be those. The others I am not sure.
    Interesting...I have that song on one of my '70s music CD compilations, "Have a Nice Day - songs on the 70's". I think it's the only compilation I've ever seen it on either.

I think it's stupid when musicians pull that crap. I bet if the movie was released on DVD, it would generate interest in his song, and make people go out and find it, buy it.

This is a "cult" movie. Look on eBay and elsewhere and you'll see the VHS of it going for up to $20. People really want this movie out on DVD.

There is a DVD out for it, but it's an import bootleg and most likely just a burned copy of either a laser disc or the VHS.

I'm holding out for the "official" release - if and when it ever happens, and hoping for the extra scenes to be included - the ones that were shown on the TV version of this (Ferris' near drowning, when all the girls went to tell the truth about Ferris and Mr Callahan, and a few other scenes I remember not shown on the VHS or HBO versions).

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    That was a great movie I used to watch it on cable all the time. I liked everything Kristy did, I hope she comes back to acting, but it sounds like she won't.

I hope they resolve the licensing issue so it can get the DVD release it deserves. Another 80s teen hottie was Melissa Sue Anderson, who did the classic slasher Happy Birthday to Me. They had a licensing issue with the soundtrack and they ultimately put out the DVD with an entirely other soundtrack which is AWFUL! They took a really good, creepy movie with a sinister score and subbed in an 80s Xanadu score and now it's laughable. I hope they don't wreck Little Darlings like that, a score can change the movie entirely.

Chevyheaven Guest
    That dude with the blonde curly hair up there needs to put some clothes on.

I watched this movie years and years ago on Betamax. I totally ruled back then
    Takes me back.

pvezz Guest
    Cynthia and her girlfriend:

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post

Remember when Sunshine (Cynthia) and Carrots (the little red-head in the movie) were on the bed when the parents were visiting and asked if they were getting along, and they said (with arms around each other) and in a mocking voice, "We love each other!". I'm reminded of that as I look at this pic of Cynthia ad her gal - also a redhead.

For real?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    For real?
    Yes, for real. They've been together for almost five years, I think. I think they're a cute couple.

xXSTL_AngelXx Guest
    LOVEEE the movie!! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD!!

Glamrock Princess Guest

I wish it was released on DVD too, just for the sight of Armand Assante alone....

Glamrock Princess Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I LOVED that movie too!!! I still have the LP. I had the hugest crush on Chris too, first in Blue Lagoon and then in The Pirate Movie.

I can still sing all the songs!

That is cool story that you met him not once, but twice, and got the autograph!

Nice, er, nappy

Yes, for real. They've been together for almost five years, I think. I think they're a cute couple.
    I don't think it's been that long - maybe 3? I know Cynthia had breast cancer and her lover helped her thru it all.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I don't think it's been that long - maybe 3? I know Cynthia had breast cancer and her lover helped her thru it all.
    I dont think it has been 5 years either. Cynthia has two children with her ex bf and I think the youngest is about 4 or 5?

Either way, if she has found that all elusive thing called love, I say way to go!

LemonPopsicle Guest
    I love this movie. I was just thinking about it the other night. My old worn out VHS tape has seen better days. I really hope the DVD comes out soon.
    I giggle when I watch it because my sister had a bag just like the Lifesavers duffle bag one of the girls have in the movie, I think she still has it somewhere.

30. 06-21-2008, 03:06 AM

john4521 Guest
    "During one scene, Kristy McNichol sits in the crowd looking bored as some other girls perform "The Sister's Song" from "The Pirates of Penzance." In the 1982 film The Pirate Movie (1982), McNichol wound up sitting through the song again, performed by her on-screen sisters."

She also sang this song with her on screen sister Dinah Manoff on the TV show Empty Nest.

itsintheeyes Guest
    The Blue Lagoon reminds me. I'm in love with Brooke Shields, too! I really like her earlier work...Alice Sweet Alice, Pretty Baby, Endless Love!!!

simon69 Guest
    OMG!! He was soooo hot!! And I'm soooooo gay!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamrock Princess View Post
    Nice, er, nappy

My favorite line in the Blue Lagoon was: Why did you have a baby Em?
    Em: I don't know!

I felt so sad for them.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

SenorMuerto Guest

She's dating Mason Reese?

36. 06-22-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll View Post
    That's what I ALWAYS think...the frikkin Underwood Deviled Ham kid...
    (Being a lesbian, I'm apparently required to see 346 pictures of them a day...so I think of that a lot...)
    Yeah, Cynthia gives hope to all the dumpy looking gals out there!

38. 06-22-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll View Post
    Yeah, but there's dumpy and then there's...

I'm not sayin'...I mean, 'cause it's...oy, I can't look at that anymore...
    I'm just trying to be nice when I said "dumpy". I guess Cynthia finds her attractive in some way. She's not my type, that's for sure.

40. 06-22-2008, 05:29 AM

bump

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    My favorite line in the Blue Lagoon was: Why did you have a baby Em?
    Em: I don't know!

I felt so sad for them.
    Brooke Shields just takes my breath away in that movie.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the girlfriend looks like Corky from "Life Goes On?"

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaver mangler View Post
    Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the girlfriend looks like Corky from "Life Goes On?"

No I don't see that. I don't see anything wrong with either one of them.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I`ve never seen the movie.......

GAdeathhag Guest
    I loved me some Armand Assante--- I loooooooooooved him as Mr. Callahan too---wish I had something like that at camp to pant over

48. 11-25-2008, 12:30 AM

John Connor Guest
    Many of these actresses look vaguely familiar. the little one sitting beside Tatum especially. They were all so cute.

50. 11-25-2008, 01:21 AM

That was Alexa Kenin. It is rumored that she died from an asthma attack or a severe beating. Pretty in pink was her last film.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    That was Alexa Kenin. It is rumored that she died from an asthma attack or a severe beating. Pretty in pink was her last film.
    Alexa was pretty skinny in PIP, and her hair was blond too. I almost didn't recognize her from when I saw her in Little Darlings.

The moment of discovery?

Top row, second from left. Cynthia's GF, staring down at Kristy? A baby dyke just coming (koff) into her own?

Aries, what are your thoughts on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Top row, second from left. Cynthia's GF, staring down at Kristy? A baby dyke just coming (koff) into her own?

Aries, what are your thoughts on this?
    I find it interesting how Cynthia and Kristy are sitting next to each other - who knew?

GODDESS6 Guest
    love "little darlings" & "the blue lagoon"~ i haven't seen them in awhile, but have watched them both many times~

Who's the second from the right on the top? The b*t**y one? I can't remember her name for the life of me.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39