Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 785

Thread: Joan Crawford

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A friend of mine and I used to have cocktails and watch "Mildred Pierce".
    I would say, "Veda, I think I'm really seeing you for the first time in my life and you're cheap and horrible", but I would say, "Harrable". He would scream with laughter and make me say it again.

    You're a common frump....


    I do that in all my pictures.


    No more movie stars like that.

    Look when she was young. Incredible.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX.
    Posts
    2,943
    I never noticed this until I bought the DVD, but if you look closely at the driver's door of the Cadillac as it's leaving the beach house in the beginning of "Mildred Pierce" after Monty is shot, you can see part of Veda's party dress shut in the door, so even though we assume it's Mildred leaving the scene of the crime it's actually Veda!

  3. #403
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,885
    Gable got away with Murder? Um... I've missed something.

    Why was Christopher out of the will... anyone know? I mean I can see her leaving Christina out if she knew she was going to write a book but what did christopher do?

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Gable got away with Murder? Um... I've missed something.

    Why was Christopher out of the will... anyone know? I mean I can see her leaving Christina out if she knew she was going to write a book but what did christopher do?
    I think (I'm not 100% sure on this) that Christopher was left out because he was in on the book too. He ended up contesting the will and got a little over $25,000.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

  5. #405
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,885
    thanks Magnetic... didn't know about that.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In The Boonies, SW Livingston county
    Posts
    201
    Hey Burg. He did get away with murder. Research is A GOOD THING...... Whom was perfect back then or now?........

  7. 02-22-2009, 12:24 AM

  8. #407
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    534
    Gable certainly did get away with murder. The lengths the studios would go to protect their stars was unbelievable. Funny how celebrity justice, or non-justice as the case may be, began at the dawn of the studio system. The only difference is that it's juries letting them get away with murder now.

  9. #408
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In a happy place!
    Posts
    21,232
    A snippet of an interview with Joan on "Baby Jane"....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QmhRRcT64

    Joan Crawford and Bitter Christina... short clip...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixkfVDoYwY

  10. #409
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,705
    There's a rumor about a deleted scene from Mildred Pierce where Eve Arden is commenting about a missing Veda's well-being to which Crawford responds, "there's nothing a little trip to the health department can't fix after Veda's been missing."

  11. #410
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Upper East side of Hell
    Posts
    80
    My babies! My Babies! Someone stoled my babies!

    But that is good dahling. They were selfish spoiled little children. Now they won't disturb you when you need your beauty sleep.

    I have Mommie Dearest the Anniversary Edition. The best $7.50 I ever spent.
    The John Water commentary is wonderful. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the price. I would have paid much more.

  12. #411
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Gable got away with Murder? Um... I've missed something.

    Why was Christopher out of the will... anyone know? I mean I can see her leaving Christina out if she knew she was going to write a book but what did christopher do?
    CHRISTOPHER had a lot of problems when he was young. Poor kid really didn't have a male role model. In his teens he got into trouble with the police several times. I know he stole a car at one point. He married young and had his first kid around 1962. CHRISTOPHER took his wife and baby girl to see JOAN in her apartment in NYC. On viewing the baby JOAN supposedly turned to CHRISTOPHER and inquired, "It doesn't look like you. Are you sure it is yours ?" Tumultuous dynamics like these don't add up to being a blessed beneficiary.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  13. #412
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetWickedHellKatEvil View Post
    My babies! My Babies! Someone stoled my babies!

    But that is good dahling. They were selfish spoiled little children. Now they won't disturb you when you need your beauty sleep.

    I have Mommie Dearest the Anniversary Edition. The best $7.50 I ever spent.
    The John Water commentary is wonderful. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the price. I would have paid much more.
    Anniversary Edition I found in the 5 dollar bin at Walmart. I gobbled that up real quickly!

    I still feel the truth lies somewhere in between.

  14. #413
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetWickedHellKatEvil View Post
    I have Mommie Dearest the Anniversary Edition. The best $7.50 I ever spent.
    I WANT one! And a John Waters commentary?

    Fabulous, simply fabulous darling!

  15. #414
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX.
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    There's a rumor about a deleted scene from Mildred Pierce where Eve Arden is commenting about a missing Veda's well-being to which Crawford responds, "there's nothing a little trip to the health department can't fix after Veda's been missing."
    Wow, that does seem a little risqué for 1945.

  16. #415
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,433
    http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/gable2.asp

    according to snopes, that didn't happen. anyone care to add?

  17. #416
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,639
    Whether that scene was there or not there was still some absolutely priceless dialog. I love Eve Arden and Joan Crawford

    "Personally Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young"
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  18. #417
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,705
    That's some of the best stuff from those movies from the 30s and 40s, the dialog was just fantastic. And you have to kind of listen for it, they didn't beat you over the head with it, particularly with innuendo when they had to make a saucy comment or get a point across subtely without running awry of the censors. I had a discussion with a self-proclaimed film expert about why there isn't dialog like this anymore, he said a lot of the screenwriters during this time were under tremendous pressure for these scripts and ended up largely drunks who didn't live that long. If that's true, it's too bad, but their dialog still lives today.

  19. #418
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    I WANT one! And a John Waters commentary?

    Fabulous, simply fabulous darling!

    NO SHIT! I'm googling right now!


  20. #419
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A friend of mine and I used to have cocktails and watch "Mildred Pierce".
    I would say, "Veda, I think I'm really seeing you for the first time in my life and you're cheap and horrible", but I would say, "Harrable". He would scream with laughter and make me say it again.
    I would love to have cocktails with you and your friend and hear you say "harrable."
    I'm free next Tuesday.


  21. #420
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3

    A (really) short story

    For what it's worth, Joan was my 2nd cousin, twice removed (she was my grandfather's 2nd cousin).

    The only thing I ever heard about her was that some of her (and my) relatives from Alton, IL visited her once when she had "made it big" in Hollywood. This happened before I was born.

    The only thing the family ever told me was:
    1) They never talked about the trip. Not a peep.
    2) They never went back.

    It could be that she thought that they were just trying to get something out of her success. Or maybe she wasn't such a nice person and didn't want her less-famous/less-wealthy relatives around. Your guess is as good (or better) than mine.

    Charlie

  22. #421
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasoid View Post
    For what it's worth, Joan was my 2nd cousin, twice removed (she was my grandfather's 2nd cousin).

    The only thing I ever heard about her was that some of her (and my) relatives from Alton, IL visited her once when she had "made it big" in Hollywood. This happened before I was born.

    The only thing the family ever told me was:
    1) They never talked about the trip. Not a peep.
    2) They never went back.

    It could be that she thought that they were just trying to get something out of her success. Or maybe she wasn't such a nice person and didn't want her less-famous/less-wealthy relatives around. Your guess is as good (or better) than mine.

    Charlie

    Relatives are such a pain when you are clawing your way up. Didn't she support a mean mother and a useless brother? She was known to be a very generous person.

  23. #422
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX.
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    I would love to have cocktails with you and your friend and hear you say "harrable."
    I'm free next Tuesday.
    OMG! Tell me where to meet you honey!!!
    I haven't seen Doug Hardy since 1995 and I'm not even sure if he's still alive, but we used to have a HOOT drinking champagne doing lines from "Mildred Pierce"!

    Veda, I think I'm really seeing you for the first time in my life and you're cheap and harrable!".
    harrable!
    harrable!
    harrable!
    Oh, God, I miss Doug

  24. #423
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Mildred Pierce is on tonight, Fri Mar 13th on TCM at 7:00 PM PST.

  25. #424
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,068
    NO Way.. I'm watching it. I love this movie.

  26. #425
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,019
    I'm getting ready to watch it now!


  27. #426
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    223
    i was sick at heart when i saw the restaraunt...

  28. #427
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,618
    I recently watched the Lucy episode Joan guest-starred in. It begins with her agent trying to get her to accept a very good offer to make another picture. She replied that she had plenty of money and had no desire to do another picture.

    Truth is, she'd have taken almost any offer at that point in history...
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  29. #428
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    146
    Did she do a porn movie before she was "discovered"? It was rumored she did, but was there any proof?

  30. #429
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by mxwe View Post
    Did she do a porn movie before she was "discovered"? It was rumored she did, but was there any proof?
    I've heard that too. I think it was called Pierce Mildred...

  31. #430
    I would be willing to stake a fortune on the fact that there are many "pornos" of old Hollywood fame. Things were different back then. Either that or those ladies spent some time on the directors couch. There are so many torrid stories that have yet to be told. Ms. Crawford was a spitfire for sure. I feel that she got her way by whatever means neccesary. She was a grand old dame.

  32. #431
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by mxwe View Post
    Did she do a porn movie before she was "discovered"? It was rumored she did, but was there any proof?
    In her later years she did another one, too, in which she played a female-to-male transexual.

    It was called ... Whatever Happened to Jane's Boobies?

  33. #432
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Joan was originally cast for a role that later went to Bette Davis in the famous porn classic, Tush...Tush Sweet Charlotte

  34. #433
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Monday, Mar 23rd, TCM is showing some of Joan's lesser works including one of my favorites, Straight-Jacket.

    TCM Schedule PST

  35. #434
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Beyond The Forest (Surrey, UK)
    Posts
    632
    It's Joan's 105th (or 101st birthday, depending on your source) tomorrow...Happy Birthday Joan dear, bless you!
    TINNNAAAA!!!! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

  36. #435
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,819
    In kind of a way she was a lot like the other person who had
    the same first name: Joan Collins, they both liked fancy clothes
    had lots of men friends and if any of these women named Joan
    were mad at you run and hide.

  37. #436
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    It's Joan's 105th (or 101st birthday, depending on your source) tomorrow...Happy Birthday Joan dear, bless you!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOAN! She is beloved in this household, that's for sure!



  38. #437
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    In kind of a way she was a lot like the other person who had
    the same first name: Joan Collins, they both liked fancy clothes
    had lots of men friends and if any of these women named Joan
    were mad at you run and hide.

    (And) both JOAN(S) played 'Crystal Allen':

    JOAN CRAWFORD in the 1939 version.....THE WOMEN
    JOAN COLLINS in the 1956 remake.........THE OPPOSITE SEX
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  39. #438
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    It's Joan's 105th (or 101st birthday, depending on your source) tomorrow...Happy Birthday Joan dear, bless you!
    Wow, Happy Birthday Joanie.

  40. #439
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,218
    Her birth year has been listed as 1904, 1906 & 1908. I'm confident that 1908 is out. She was attended STEPHENS COLLEGE in the fall of 1921 which leads me to believe that 1904 is the most likely year of birth. Between 1922 and 1924 after she either dropped out of or was asked to leave the college she worked as a clerk, elevator operator, showgirl & was alleged to have been on occassion a 'kept woman'.
    After she was discovered in NYC by an MGM talent scout she took a train to L.A. arriving in January 1925.


    Happy 105th !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  41. #440
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,618
    Joan was also one of a relatively few stars who were able to make the transition from silent movies to "talkies."
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  42. #441
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Beyond The Forest (Surrey, UK)
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Her birth year has been listed as 1904, 1906 & 1908. I'm confident that 1908 is out. She was attended STEPHENS COLLEGE in the fall of 1921 which leads me to believe that 1904 is the most likely year of birth. Between 1922 and 1924 after she either dropped out of or was asked to leave the college she worked as a clerk, elevator operator, showgirl & was alleged to have been on occassion a 'kept woman'.
    After she was discovered in NYC by an MGM talent scout she took a train to L.A. arriving in January 1925.


    Happy 105th !
    I've always gone with 1904 too, Kelt. It's always been a common practice for actresses to shave a few years off their official ages, for vanity reasons. Harder to get away with now, though. Joan was able to achieve this as her birthplace, San Antonio didn't have a legal requirement to issue birth certificates until after 1905 (I think) Bette Davis was fond of mentioning that they weren't really the same age..
    TINNNAAAA!!!! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

  43. #442
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,867
    Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    Mildred Pierce is on tonight, Fri Mar 13th on TCM at 7:00 PM PST.
    Best movie she ever did IMO

  44. #443
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    Monday, Mar 23rd, TCM is showing some of Joan's lesser works including one of my favorites, Straight-Jacket.

    TCM Schedule PST

    I'll be watching, dahling! I love her in EVERYTHING!!


  45. #444
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Best movie she ever did IMO
    I agree 100%. Fab movie, greatest role for her imo

  46. #445
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In a happy place!
    Posts
    21,232
    Ooooohhhhh!!! "Strait Jacket" followed by "Berserk" on TCM tonight!!! I'm soooooo there!

    Last edited by More Cheese Please; 03-23-2009 at 12:26 PM.

  47. #446
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,068
    oooohhhh thanks for the heads up MCP. I shall be watching too!

  48. #447
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlantic coastal
    Posts
    1,001


    Joan Crawford in the 1920s

  49. #448
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In a happy place!
    Posts
    21,232
    That's a beautiful picture dodger....

  50. #449
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,243
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Ooooohhhhh!!! "Strait Jacket" followed by "Berserk" on TCM tonight!!! I'm soooooo there!

    I have 'Strait-Jacket' on dvd but 'Berserk' is the holy grail! Still not available on dvd!
    Thanks Cheese you are TOPS! Heading for my DVR right now! YESSSS!



  51. #450
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    945
    Well, I sat through Berserk, but really wish they'd shown Trog instead...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •