Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Joan Crawford

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Christina was originally named Joan Crawford Jr. LOL can you imagine living with that name?? Therapy therapy therapy poor kids!

NOVSTORM Guest
    Christina fought with Joan. She didn't appreciate that JOAN gave her a life lol.
    Also Joan shipped her off to boarding school at age 7? And left her there. Took her home when she was about 17? The other 2 kids found their original parents , the mother had died recently before they found them and they each got 75 k from the will. Not a hell of a lot of money for a movie star to leave. I think because Christopher peed the bed and sucked his thumb ,and Christina didn't worship the ground she walkedf on and the other 2 did that is why she kicked the crasp out of them and didn't leave them a thing. I never really cared for JC I did like Bette tho.
    She was more down to earth. Even tho Bettes kid wrote the book about her being Bettes caretaker I kind of can believe it. Bette was a drama queen and liked to party.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I wonder just "how bad" it has to be before is it bad parental abuse. Abuse is abuse. Mental or physical. I don't call a spanking (one that does not leave marks) abuse or being sent to a corner. To be waken up in the middle of the night with some crazed woman screaming at you is abuse. Whacking a kid with metal coat hangers isn't much better. My mother would knock you out with anything she could get in her hands. Spanking were with weeping willow branches that you picked yourself (always try to find the fat ones) . I lived LOL I never thought of it as abuse until I got older and was raising kids. I wouldn't dream of doing the things parents of the 50's got away with. Maybe Christina over stated the abuse but it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Christina fought with Joan. She didn't appreciate that JOAN gave her a life lol.
    Also Joan shipped her off to boarding school at age 7? And left her there. Took her home when she was about 17? The other 2 kids found their original parents , the mother had died recently before they found them and they each got 75 k from the will. Not a hell of a lot of money for a movie star to leave. I think because Christopher peed the bed and sucked his thumb ,and Christina didn't worship the ground she walkedf on and the other 2 did that is why she kicked the crasp out of them and didn't leave them a thing. I never really cared for JC I did like Bette tho.
    She was more down to earth. Even tho Bettes kid wrote the book about her being Bettes caretaker I kind of can believe it. Bette was a drama queen and liked to party.
    BETTE' daughter, that born again BARBARA aka BD is an asshole ! A big fuckin asshole ! HYMAN, that's her last name. V.D.HYMAN, Cunt, Asshole.
    She looks smug & evil. That cunt went ahead and had that book
    MY MOTHER' KEEPER published after her mother (BETTE) had just gone through a stroke and a double mastectomy. That's good Christian caring for you folks ! BETTE' son MICHAEL got wind that his sister had written this book and that it was about to be published. He called his sister (strong stomach that boy) and pleaded with her to give back her advance. He told her that it would kill their mother who's health had her near death's door. "I can't (give back the cash advance); I've already spent a lot of it !, " shrieked Super Cunt.
    Like TRUMAN CAPOTE said, "The only thing meaner than a rattler is a well meaning Christian !"

BETTE with B.D. "Super Cunt" on the latter's wedding day in 1964.
    BETTE should have kept MARGOT at home & institutionalized B.D. !!!

A more recent picture of big big B.D.
    These days the evil twat is a self annointed minister
    and claims to be a "vessel for the Lord"
    Vessel ? Like what a urinal maybe ?
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    BETTE' daughter, that born again BARBARA aka BD is an asshole ! A big fuckin asshole ! HYMAN, that's her last name. V.D.HYMAN, Cunt, Asshole.
    MY MOTHER' KEEPER published after her mother (BETTE) had just gone through a stroke and a double mastectomy. That's good Christian caring for you folks ! BETTE' son MICHAEL got wind that his sister had written this book and that it was about to be published. He called his sister (strong stomach that boy) and pleaded with her to give back her advance. He told her that it would kill their mother who's health had her near death's door. "I can't (give back the cash advance); I've already spent a lot of it !, " shrieked Super Cunt.
    Like TRUMAN CAPOTE said, "The only thing meaner than a rattler is a well meaning Christian !"

Dang Kelt - tell us how you really feel about Super Cunt!

Mamma Guest
    LOVE Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. That was some freaky sh*t for it's time, and still can be . My daughter's watched some of this film with me, and found it ultimately disturbing when Jane's pianist was drunk, wheeling around in the wheelchair with the Baby Jane Hudson doll. That hellacious shriek Jane let's out as she watches from the uptsairs sets the freakish tone perfectly.

Oh, and Strawberry! Strawberry! Something about that crazy lady asking for strawberry ice cream cone. I mean .. damn .

I've written a letter to Dad-deeee...
    His address is heaven above .....

<shudderrrr>

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    LOVE Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. That was some freaky sh*t for it's time, and still can be . My daughter's watched some of this film with me, and found it ultimately disturbing when Jane's pianist was drunk, wheeling around in the wheelchair with the Baby Jane Hudson doll. That hellacious shriek Jane let's out as she watches from the uptsairs sets the freakish tone perfectly.

Oh, and Strawberry! Strawberry! Something about that crazy lady asking for strawberry ice cream cone. I mean .. damn .

I've written a letter to Dad-deeee...
    His address is heaven above .....

<shudderrrr>
    Yes, definitely a classic! It was always played at the Gay bars on Sunday afternoons (some of them had "movie days"!) I'd frequent - back in the day. Very campy flick!

Noelle Page Guest
    That wedding photo is creepy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yes, definitely a classic! It was always played at the Gay bars on Sunday afternoons (some of them had "movie days"!) I'd frequent - back in the day. Very campy flick!

Here's an interesting edited take on
    "Our Own Little Baby Jane Hudson..............."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENThJ4bn5Dc

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    Ya know - she just looks mean. Great actress though!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

don't_axe_me Guest
    I think her daughter, BD, favored her a lot

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I read she had all the bathtubs removed from her brentwood home because it was "unsanitary to sit in ones bathwater."

Personally I believe she had...issues!!
    I only take showers. The only reason I sit in a tub of water is to relieve an aching back.

leevancleef Guest
    Damn, Bette's daughter sure looks EVIL in the wedding pic!

don't_axe_me Guest
    Like mother like daughter

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I read she had all the bathtubs removed from her brentwood home because it was "unsanitary to sit in ones bathwater."

Personally I believe she had...issues!!
    Well Danny if she had issues so do I...I can't stand the thought of sitting in a tub full of the very dirt you've just washed off! YUCCHHH!
    Showers only for me--guess I have a little Joan in me

lisalouver Guest
    BD did look like Bette, did'nt she?

I think that although she looks mad in that picture, she was a very attractive woman.

In the next pic, not so much. I guess we all get old!

don't_axe_me Guest
    In the next pic she looks more like Baby Jane!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    In the next pic she looks more like Baby Jane!
    LOL! Yes, you are right!

Mamma Guest
    The wire hanger thing probably stems from the fact that her and her mother used to live in the back of a laundry. Obviously, there was a heavy use of wire hangers and since Joan or Lucille as she was born, hated being poor, she hated anything that made her appear poor or reminded her of her childhood.
    Coming from a childhood where my mother beat us often with wire hangers, I've always been under the impression that Joan did it to inflict pain on her children, whether they worked near a laundromat or not. It makes for an interesting theory, I agree!

My mother never worked for a laundromat (edited: or even lived near one), but believe me, she was an expert on how to use hangers on children that scar them for life. Sure as hell worked for me!

Also, I wish I could say my mother was an alcoholic, pill popping maniac. But no, she was (and still is) an angry woman who could not handle motherhood, so she took it out on us. For the life of me ...any parent who gets a thrill from hearing their child scream in pain, and pain the parent themself has inflicted, is one of the most sickening traits I have ever known. Never makes sense to me as a child nor adult, for a parent to beat you like that, screaming at you to "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about, but the more you beat them the louder it becomes! I mean God! So I learned at a very young age to hold my breath when I'm in pain. Holding my breath doesn't allow me to scream. I think alot of abused kids end up doing that at some point or another.

I think Joan enjoyed inflicting pain on her daughter. It's like they get a rise out of the control and hurt they are able to produce, on someone especially weak like a child. If Christina is a brat, my money says she didn't get that way by herself. Just sayin' .
    Last edited by Mamma; 01-17-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Coming from a childhood where my mother beat us often with wire hangers, I've always been under the impression that Joan did it to inflict pain on her children, whether they worked near a laundromat or not. It makes for an interesting theory, I agree!

My mother never worked for a laundromat (edited: or even lived near one), but believe me, she was an expert on how to use hangers on children that scar them for life. Sure as hell worked for me!

Also, I wish I could say my mother was an alcoholic, pill popping maniac. But no, she was (and still is) an angry woman who could not handle motherhood, so she took it out on us. For the life of me ...any parent who gets a thrill from hearing their child scream in pain, and pain the parent themself has inflicted, is one of the most sickening traits I have ever known. Never makes sense to me as a child nor adult, for a parent to beat you like that, screaming at you to "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about, but the more you beat them the louder it becomes! I mean God! So I learned at a very young age to hold my breath when I'm in pain. Holding my breath doesn't allow me to scream. I think alot of abused kids end up doing that at some point or another.

I think Joan enjoyed inflicting pain on her daughter. It's like they get a rise out of the control and hurt they are able to produce, on someone especially weak like a child. If Christina is a brat, my money says she didn't get that way by herself. Just sayin' .
    Sorry about your childhood Mamma, I had a father (well, I call him "sperm donor" now) who wasn't much of one. He never used wire hangers - just his fists.

And my mom tended to get a bit rough with the wooden spoon and belts at times.

Whew...hard to think about it all. But I know where you are coming from, I REALLY do...believe me...

DeathVixen Guest
    I've read all the posts for this topic and I wish I had some background info that hasn't already been covered. The whole situation is just fascinating because no one really knows exactly what went on in that house over all those years except the people who were there and the accounts that they have gone public with all seem to have been in an effort to make money. But it's always been such a fascinating thing to me when people will cut family out of their will and state that it was because 'they knew what they did' makes things SO much more dramatic! Seems fitting in this situation...

Mamma Guest

Whew...hard to think about it all. But I know where you are coming from, I REALLY do...believe me...
    It sure is. You learn how to move past it and make a life for yourself the best you can, but you never get over it. Not unless there's a magic brain pill that can get rid of selective memory .

Besides, I'm sure Christina was a brat ~ most Hollywood kids are ...just like their parents . (I'll bet that little Scientolotot Suri Crusie is, bahaha! But anywho), there's more than meets the eye in the Crawford family history.

If Joan truly beat her children, and no doubt she did, sending them to the best schools in the world won't make up for it. That's like saying Tina Turner should be lucky Ike beat her so much, because she got famous that way. Or it's a good thing Laci Peterson and her son in utero were murdered, because now they are famous and the Laci and Connor law has been signed. Or Megans Law, or Jessica Lunsford's law. You get the idea.

All kids know is that they need to be loved, and don't understand why they get the crap beat out of them. I don't care what fancy school their paremts send them to, or what fancy car they buy. It's all for show, I guarantee you. A parent could never survive if the world knew what beasts they were behind closed doors ~ thus Christina waited until Joan was dead because her novel would have killed Joan anyway. JMO.

Thanks Aries.

It sure is. You learn how to move past it and make a life for yourself the best you can, but you never get over it. Not unless there's a magic brain pill that can get rid of selective memory .

Besides, I'm sure Christina was a brat ~ most Hollywood kids are ...just like their parents . (I'll bet that little Scientolotot Suri Crusie is, bahaha! But anywho), there's more than meets the eye in the Crawford family history.

If Joan truly beat her children, and no doubt she did, sending them to the best schools in the world won't make up for it. That's like saying Tina Turner should be lucky Ike beat her so much, because she got famous that way. Or it's a good thing Laci Peterson and her son in utero were murdered, because now they are famous and the Laci and Connor law has been signed. Or Megans Law, or Jessica Lunsford's law. You get the idea.

All kids know is that they need to be loved, and don't understand why they get the crap beat out of them. I don't care what fancy school their paremts send them to, or what fancy car they buy. It's all for show, I guarantee you. A parent could never survive if the world knew what beasts they were behind closed doors ~ thus Christina waited until Joan was dead because her novel would have killed Joan anyway. JMO.

Thanks Aries.
    Scientolotot - LOVE IT!!!!!!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Let's enter the world of the bizarre. I was watching the recent DVD release of a mid 1950s Joan "classic" Torch Song. It's unintentionally campy, but the lines are terrific and Crawford once again uses her talent and star power to make a turkey entertaining. She also does a number "Two-Faced Woman" in black-face with bright red lipstick and orange hair, all in Technicolor. Yes, it's worth a Netflix just for that scene.

But, they had extras, and one was a very recent interview with Christina. Why is Christina doing interviews for recent Joan releases??? But what I can't get even more is, Christina is usually very bitter about her mother, cuts her no slack, and is just nasty squared and heartless when discussing her famous mother. But not in this interview. She gets her swipes in, but it's more in a caring manner. She basically says that Joan was going through a hard time when this movie was made, she had no "man," was getting older, was a single mother, low on money, and "in the grasp of alcoholism." She saying this like a sympathetic and caring daughter. What gives??? My first impression was maybe she's finally come to peace with the fact that her mother wasn't perfect and has let it go and is remember fondly her mother's legacy, or maybe the abuse was overblown and she's acting nice now to get on the DVD commentary, or what. Odd.

Does anyone have any pics of Crawford and Bette lieing in state. I loved these 2 and there movies the only problem I have with all of the did she ( Joan ) or didnt she abuse Christina is after going to the link on The children of Joan Crawford and reading what the guy had to say about Christina my question is this how does he know Christina lied he is so sure of this. Being a fan of Crawford doesnt meen one has the know all of everything. Unless he was there to witness the truth personally which is impossible. Besides the whole thing has turned into a she said she said scenario its impossible that the truth will ever come out. Its sad Joan Crawford was the best and to have her legacy remembered with child beater smeared all over it whether true or not is sad. By the way only Dunaway could have played Crawford I cant believe Mommie Dearest got a Razzie award how ridiculous! I hate snotty critics who eat there raw fish eggs and drink there nice wine while the throw snot all over good movies piss on em

Alexandra Guest
    I'm of the thinking that Christina started a book before Joan's death...and that the disinheritance was the result of, not the cause of, the book.

There are two sides to a story. I'm inclined to think that JC wasn't the monster Christina makes her out to be.

There was an instance where Christopher ran away because he couldn't get chocolate syrup for his ice cream. Kid had his priorities straight, huh? She laid into him for that, telling him that he should consider himself lucky he had the ice cream in the first place!

27. 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
    Reason
    typed with wrong quote

Duke Six Guest
    Dang Kelt - tell us how you really feel about Super Cunt!
    Kelt, Im splittin my sides laughing. You re killing me but as always YOU ROCK. Rock on, Duke....

Duke Six Guest
    Joan adopted twins after Christina and Christopher and named the Cindy and Cathy. Cathy gives an interview in the March Vanity Fair and still refers to Joan as mommie. She is now in her 60s and Cindy is deceased. Cathy dismisses all of Christinas claims and paints a rosy picture. Must reading for bathroom breaks,

I went to her website and she is a freaking nutt!!! Cult leader is the best word I can discribe her. Bette must have screwed her up royally

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Six View Post
    Joan adopted twins after Christina and Christopher and named the Cindy and Cathy. Cathy gives an interview in the March Vanity Fair and still refers to Joan as mommie. She is now in her 60s and Cindy is deceased. Cathy dismisses all of Christinas claims and paints a rosy picture. Must reading for bathroom breaks,

I'd love to read that. I think Cathy is the one who auctioned the Oscar. I'd have never parted with that bling, that's for sure!!

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Letty Lynton View Post
    Lisa -

Thank you for mentioning my Joan Crawford Webiste. It does give an indepth look ing to the five children Joan had adopted. I have hundreds of photos of the children I will be posting in the coming months.

Please keep checking out my website, I add to it weekly!

http://legendaryjoancrawford.com/

Neil
    Wow...thank you so much for the cool link. The kids have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I have seen Mommy Dearest about a zillion times, I was totally scared of Joan Crawford for years after that.

Whatever happened to Baby Jane is also one of my favourite films.

Totally cool.

Hmmmmm....

Gut feeling - Joan was a wacko - jealous of everything that took attention away from her. Boarding school at 7 - I could never imagine doing that even though that was "the way" it was done back then. I tend to think it was done when they were older, maybe not. As frustrated as I get with my own daughter sometimes, I can't imagine sending her away and LEAVING her there, with no visits or holidays. I think JC did it cause she could. With Christina outta site, she would not get ANY attention. Sad - Sad - Sad..... "Why did you adopt me" - "Maybe it was for a little publicity" - ya think?
    My Posse's On Broadway

eclecticbohemian Guest
    I'm amazed at how absolutely gorgeous Joan can look in some pictures & in others she is utterly horrid!

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticbohemian View Post
    I'm amazed at how absolutely gorgeous Joan can look in some pictures & in others she is utterly horrid!
    I think that she was really attractive when she was young, but as she aged she began to look like a woman warrior; as though she slowly began to wear the ' Don't Fuck With Me Fellas' moniker on her aging puss !

A young JOAN CRAWFORD below............

an older CRAWFORD shown below...........
    there's a very formidable vibe given off from her very being as if her whole person is daring you to screw with her because she will pull your balls off & make you eat 'em !!!

I think that she was really attractive when she was young, but as she aged she began to look like a woman warrior; as though she slowly began to wear the ' Don't Fuck With Me Fellas' moniker on her aging puss !

A young JOAN CRAWFORD below............

an older CRAWFORD shown below...........
    there's a very formidable vibe given off from her very being as if her whole person is daring you to screw with her because she will pull your balls off & make you eat 'em !!!

OMG - I totally agree! Sometimes she was beautiful, sometimes not so much. I think it was the eyebrows that gave her the "hard" look.
    My Posse's On Broadway

coleysabusybabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    Classic-I loved this movie.

I remember reading somewhere that the women who was the neighbor is also became a celebrity. Can't remember who it was.
    She played the matriarch of the Quartermain family on a daytime soap...wanna say it was General Hospital . Scott has an entire story on her! She was actually a very very nice woman.

janel Guest
    I believe the actress you're thinking of coleysabusybabe is Anna Lee.

Suzanne30 Guest
    The neighbor's daughter was played by Bette Davis's daughter BD. Although she went by Barbara Sherry back in those days IIRC.

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Well Danny if she had issues so do I...I can't stand the thought of sitting in a tub full of the very dirt you've just washed off! YUCCHHH!
    Showers only for me--guess I have a little Joan in me

I'm with you, the thought of washing your face in the same water your ass is sitting in is just GROSS!

Oh ouch!

The installation of the Coca-Cola machine at BETTE DAVIS' behest occurred on the set of
    WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COUSIN CHARLOTTE ?
    That was one of the stunts that drove JOAN CRAWFORD over the edge & running back to New York City to be hospitalized for a 'mystery ailment'.

Once ALDRICH realized that CRAWFORD wouldn't be back, he tried to get several other actresses before he lucked out and OLIVIA deHAVILLAND agreed to step in. The production title for the movie was then changed to
    HUSH...HUSH...SWEET CHARLOTTE. When a columnist contacted CRAWFORD and advised her about deHAVILLAND taking over for the role of 'Miriam Deering', CRAWFORD responded,
    "[SIZE=3]Oh, I'm so happy for OLIVIA, she needs the work...."[/SIZE] Ouch.
    My goodness! Such delicious gossip! Love it, love it!

I read the book which documented the rivary between them. Can't remember now what its called but I'm definitely a Bette Davis fan. For the record, everyone who knew them says that Joan had issues and verified some of what Christina reported but indicated that Christina exagerated much of what went on and that Joan wasn't as bad as Christina made out. However, her brother being tied to the bed has definitely been confirmed by more than one person who spent the night there. There is a picture in Hollywood Babylon of Joan in a lovely evening gown at a party at her residence with a mop and bucket cleaning the kitchen floor after someone spills a drink. One of her guests is looking on puzzled. This woman has a maid and extra help for this party and she grabs a mop when someone spills and immediately starts cleaning! Woot! Go girl! Weird woman.
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eclecticbohemian Guest
    Yup, Joan's drinking did a number on her face as she got older. She could have used a pair of tweezers on those brows also. A bit slap-dash in later years.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    My Mum told me that Joan had her wisdom teeth deliberately removed, so that she had better cheek bones.....

But then my Mum says a lot of weird stuff.....

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Over the years, I've really become more of a Joan fan, I'm not sure why.

And after I quit smoking, I became a neat-freak at the Joan level, I'm not sure why, but I love it because my house is spotless. And yes, when I polish the floor, I do move the tree, if you're wondering. In fact, I have a top of the line Dyson that is wonderful on the carpets, but it's a little weak on the upolstry and drapes and walls and stuff, so I'm thinking about buying a canister vacuum for those areas, because they MUST be clean and I don't think the Dyson is quite doing the job.

But keep in mind a classic Tina quote from the book, "I scubbed floors, the maids scrubbed floors, the fans scubbed floors. Mother herself did not scrub floors."

Hahahahaha

Well I don't know about scrubbing but she was definitely mopping the floor in this picture!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I went on FIND-A-GRAVE this morning, or as my little sister calls it FAG. I wanted to leave a 'birthday cake' for CRAWFORD, and guess what ? I see that they've turned off memorial section for her because of the amount of 'abusive' notes left. Oh well..............

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I went on FIND-A-GRAVE this morning, or as my little sister calls it FAG. I wanted to leave a 'birthday cake' for CRAWFORD, and guess what ? I see that they've turned off memorial section for her because of the amount of 'abusive' notes left. Oh well..............

That's really tragic. Even if Christina is telling the absolute truth, it really wasn't "that bad" as far to not even be able to leave Internet messages on the board. If you actually read the book, she got violent with her maybe 2-3 times, not probably what many parents have done when they have lost it. Not mother of the year, but I don't think she deserves to be branded a serial abuser more than 100 years after her birth. The rest of Christina's complaints were what any child of the rich puts up with, absenteeism and not being a top priority. Can't people recognize and appreciate how much of a true "movie star" she was and enjoy her body of work over 50 years? One of a kind. Like Faye barks in the movie, "my fans are life and death to me, baby, they're the ones who really make me" was words Crawford herself lived by. She signed every autograph, she answers every piece of fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    That's really tragic. Even if Christina is telling the absolute truth, it really wasn't "that bad" as far to not even be able to leave Internet messages on the board. If you actually read the book, she got violent with her maybe 2-3 times, not probably what many parents have done when they have lost it. Not mother of the year, but I don't think she deserves to be branded a serial abuser more than 100 years after her birth. The rest of Christina's complaints were what any child of the rich puts up with, absenteeism and not being a top priority. Can't people recognize and appreciate how much of a true "movie star" she was and enjoy her body of work over 50 years? One of a kind. Like Faye barks in the movie, "my fans are life and death to me, baby, they're the ones who really make me" was words Crawford herself lived by. She signed every autograph, she answers every piece of fan mail.
    ***clap, clap, clap***

You go, Florida! I, too, believe this. While I don't know whether or not Joan "abused" Christina, just looking at Christina makes me think - evil, spoiled, b***h. I wonder how much "abuse" Christina brought on herself. BTW - I don't think being made to eat a rare steak constitutes abuse.

There was also a TCM Biography on last night about Joan. Christina was interviewed for it. It shows a good deal about the "feud" between Joan and Bette. It also tells about the Coke machine Bette had brought onto the set of WHTBJ.

Despite the fact that I'm a Bette Davis fan, I feel as you do, whatever "abuse" Christina suffered, it was probably more in line of what any parent pushed to the edge might do - "no more wire hangers" outburst notwithstanding - I blew my top once at my daughter when she opened the door and let some salesman in the house when I left to go to the store. She was 12. I had trained both my children not to let anyone in when I wasn't home. I didn't strike her but I screamed bloody murder. Later looking back, I realized I was afraid of what "could" have happened and not relating to the reality that nothing happened, but oh god if my daughter wrote a tell all book, how would that make me look? A little compassion for Joan. True, not mother of the year and certainly not a demon. Maybe just like the rest of us, flawed, not perfect. She was a great actress. RIP
    Last edited by Pammijo; 03-24-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dylgem22 Guest
    I am sure if I or my sisters were to recall all the times we got our butts busted, or screamed at by our parents, at that time, we would have thought it was horrible! But I can bet you 99% of the time, we deserved it!! But I would never think of anything as abuse! I am more of a Bette fan, but Joan was extraordinary!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    That's really too bad. I hate what her spoiled loony of a daughter has done to Joan Crawford's memory. I also agree with FDH: mother of the year? no. Serial abuser? Also no.
    She was a trooper, a working actress who took her job very seriously...and the legacy she left us is astounding.
    I refuse to hate her because of the vituperative attacks and ramblings of a bitter wannabe whose only claim to fame is....hmmm....being very, very jealous of her mother?