Thread: Thich Quang Duc (1963), Vietnamese Buddhist monk, self-immolation

Thich Quang Duc (1963), Vietnamese Buddhist monk, self-immolation

Hòa thượng Th*ch Quảng Ðức [SIZE=2]([/SIZE][SIZE=2]help[/SIZE][SIZE=2]·[/SIZE][SIZE=2]info[/SIZE][SIZE=2])[/SIZE][a] (IPA: [tʰic wɐːŋ dɨk]; (born Lâm Văn Tức in 1897 ?? died June 11, 1963) was a Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk who burned himself to death at a busy Saigon road intersection on June 11, 1963. Th*ch Quảng Đức was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by South Vietnam's Ngô Đình Diệm administration. Photos of his self-immolation were circulated widely across the world and brought attention to the policies of the Diệm regime. Malcolm Browne won a Pulitzer Prize for his iconic photo of the monk's death, as did David Halberstam for his written account. After his death, his body was re-cremated, but his heart remained intact. This was interpreted as a symbol of compassion and led Buddhists to revere him as a bodhisattva, heightening the impact of his death on the public psyche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc

djdeath-hag Guest
    Suicides by this manner have always intrigued me. I guess it somehow plays into my own lil bent on pyromania/pyrophilia. Thanks for sharing the full story. Amazing that his heart remained intact.

He looks so peacefull sitting there as flames rage around his body. I cannot even begin to fathom such serious dedication to a cause where self-immolation can be seen as protest. Such different societies we reside in where one can separate personal well being and self preservation from ideals and beliefs to make such a profound statement. This is one of the most haunting images of the 20th century.

Forgive my schmaltz I'm drunk.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

As for the heart remaining intact that might just be political agenda. An almost religious statement as to the veracity of his beliefs to promote his martyr status to saintly proportions.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Wow I'm a blithering idiot.

tempted to take advantage of you crunk! Too bad Im many mile away and female!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

Forgive my schmaltz I'm drunk.
    I love your schmaltz!

Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    tempted to take advantage of you crunk! Too bad Im many mile away and female!
    And she loves your Schmitt's. Ahaha

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Suicides by this manner have always intrigued me. I guess it somehow plays into my own lil bent on pyromania/pyrophilia. Thanks for sharing the full story. Amazing that his heart remained intact.
    I'll never forget seeing this photo in LIFE magazine as a small child...I was understandably horrified and have never forgotten it.

Anyway, your post Dennis reminded me of my best friend in high school...we hadn't seen or spoken to each other for probably over a decade, when I found out from his parents several years ago that he had committed suicide, by self-immolation. I was speechless and still am, really. I cannot imagine what would prompt someone to take their own life in such a horrific, undoubtedly painful manner. I still make the attempt occasionally to put some kind of logic to it, but that just isn't going to happen. I don't think anyone will ever understand.

soonerpimp Guest
    I think i've seen video of that on a documentary of the war. he remained just as serene until he fell over if i remember correctly. what a trance.

Is that monk to the left holding a bag of marshmallows?
    I know,.......I suck!

There is a museum In Hue, Vietnam that holds the car that he drove himself to that demonstartion to. It's very touching to see it and to know that this man gave his life to the cause in peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Wow I'm a blithering idiot.
    I love the heck out of you. hugs...

His body was re-cremated. That line just stuck with me for some reason.

He must have done some serious meditation before this, he doesn't seem to feel any pain. I know someone who was a monk, he told me trully evolved people can leave their bodies during meditation. I want to believe that is what's happening in this case.

motherogod Guest
    I've remembered this picture since the first time I saw it as a kid, and due to that memory I've always assumed being engulfed in flames would be a quick way out. AND that the nerve damage would be so quick that it would be painless. Funny how a child's mind works, since like some of you mentioned he looked so serene.

I got to do a crisis intervention on a guy who attempted self-immolation, saw him an hour after the attempt. He got into the back of his car, doused himself with gasoline and set the fire. He had all the car windows up, so there was only a flash then the fire didn't keep going. When he opened the doors to get out because of the pain, THEN he was engulfed. He was incredibly lucky, remembered to stop drop and roll.

Needless to say, I finally figured out that it is a painful and way too slow way to die. I can't fathom it, either.

15. 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
    Reason
    dumb question

Honestly, the first time I saw this picture was on the cover of a Rage Against the Machine album. Mom saw the CD cover and told me about it.

I can imagine that would be a hideously painful way to die, I can't imagine what it would take to do that to yourself. He seems at peace in the pictures though.

Is there a video of it available?
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post

You're wrong! LMAO
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    There is a museum In Hue, Vietnam that holds the car that he drove himself to that demonstartion to. It's very touching to see it and to know that this man gave his life to the cause in peace.

Been there, seen it. It was an interesting death hag moment.

This is the most famous of them as there were a few that did this. In the various African civil wars they do a variation of this call neck-tieing though they use a car tire around the neck.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Is there a video of it available?
    Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37cMtCrKoA

It's very different from seeing the picture alone. He truly does sit there, and it's really amazing seeing the willpower and the concentration. Then he suddenly slumps over. I've seen many deaths, but I think this is one of the few that truly tugs at me.

Malcolm Browne, The AP correspondent who took this iconic photo has passed away at the age of 81.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Another photo from my youth I will never forget.

there's a picture of his heart here:

http://mostodd.wordpress.com/2011/02...-burning-monk/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/i...etnam-20658104

saw his picture in the slide show from iconic images from Vietnam. What a very poignant and scary picture. I see there's a video but I'm not gonna watch it. the picture is enough for me