Thread: Murders In Britain: 1886 - 1915

SEL2323 Guest

Murders In Britain: 1886 - 1915

From Wiki....

1886 - The Pimlico Mystery - Following the suspicious death of Thomas Edwin Bartlett, his wife Adelaide was charged with murder. It was found that Bartlett's stomach contained a fatal quantity of chloroform, although this had not caused any damage to his throat or windpipe. Adelaide Bartlett was later acquitted, possibly because the prosecution were unable to explain the death, or how she could have committed the crime.

1888 - Jack the Ripper - At least five prostitutes were murdered and mutilated by an unidentified serial killer, dubbed "Jack the Ripper" by the press. The murders eventually stopped and the murderer was never apprehended.

1910 - Dr. Crippen case - Hawley Harvey Crippen, an American-born doctor, used his position in a London pharmaceutical company to poison his wife before fleeing the country with his mistress. However, due in part to the newly developed wireless communication, Crippen was apprehended by Scotland Yard detectives onboard the SS Montrose shortly before its scheduled arrival in Quebec.

1911 - The Siege of Sidney Street - A shootout between unarmed London constables and a group of Latvian anarchists led by George Gardstein left three officers and Gardstein dead. British authorities then laid siege to the anarchists' safehouse on Sidney Street, meeting fierce resistance from the three anarchists inside. A fire broke out after a six-hour battle and, while the bodies of Fritz Svaars and William Sokolow were found, their leader Peter Piaktow was not located.

1915 - Brides in the Bath Murders - George Joseph Smith, a con artist and bigamist, murdered three of his wives before being arrested and executed on August 13, 1915.

If anyone would like to elaborate more on these crimes, post here

Where are you coming up with all this great info? I LOVE these posts - keep 'em coming!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

SEL2323 Guest
    hehehe - im special

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    theres no thread dedicated to jack the ripper so i thought id post this here.

i recently finished reading a book called savage by richard laymon it is a fictional story about what may have happened to jack the ripper after he killed his last victim. it is really interesting and gorey but i didnt think it was as gorey as some of his other books. my dad even read it after me.

tarsier Guest
    1910 - Dr. Crippen? A recent examination of that case determined that who evers body was found in the basement of Crippen's home it WAS NOT Mrs. Crippen. She had been identified by scar tissue from a surgery but modern DNA says it wasn't her strange case.