Thread: Martin Sheets and the Mausoleum Phone

jay Guest

Martin Sheets and the Mausoleum Phone

I found this on a site i was looking at. Kinda spooky

Martin Sheets was a man who lived a long time ago, when we did not know quite as much about knowing whether a person was really dead or not. Martin Sheets was not so much afraid of death as he was afraid someone thinking he was dead. He was afraid of being buried alive.

This became an obsession. He imagined he could hear the doctor saying "I'm sorry" as he pulled the sheet over Martin's head. He imagined he could feel himself lying in his coffin as the screws of the lid were slowly turned tight. He also imagined he could hear the sound of dirt thudding on the lid of his coffin; the last sound he would ever hear.

Martin Sheets became so obsessed he decided to make sure it would never happen. First he had a special coffin built, one that had interior latches that could be unlocked from inside. He had a massive mausoleum built for his coffin, so dirt would never be thrown on his lid. And to make sure he could get out of his tomb, he paid the telephone company a lot of money to install and maintain a phone inside the tomb. His burial instructions even provided for food to be left in the tomb on his burial day. Then if he was buried alive, all he had to do was snap the special release latches, call someone to get him out, and enjoy a snack while he waited.

Martin Sheets did die and was buried, according to his instructions, in his mausoleum. The phone company operators were a little nervous at first, waiting for Martin to ring. But he never did.

Many years later Martin's wife died. She was found lying on her bed with the phone gripped so tightly in her hand that the attendants had a hard time removing it from her hands. The funeral people went to the tomb to prepare it for her burial. Inside it was exactly as it had been left after Martin Sheet's funeral, the last time it was opened. Except for one thing -- the phone was off the hook.

Danny62 Guest
    I don't know, you read that kind of stuff and it makes you wonder!

Kind of a creepy tale.

Whoa! That's freaky!

These days, you'd wait for the text message from the grave, not the phone call.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Whoa! That's freaky!

These days, you'd wait for the text message from the grave, not the phone call.
    OMG! LOL

They are going to have to put in electrical so the battery doesn't go dead either.

Maruz83 Guest
    Gesssss... you better txt me or email me... hope he had verison !!!

Desertrose Guest
    I better keep my cell phone charged!

pvezz Guest
    Wait What

hoxharding Guest
    Very creepy! I read a book that said the dead are now texting and e-mailing people. They didn't show any actual evidence thouh. Maybe it is true or maybe not.*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Very creepy! I read a book that said the dead are now texting and e-mailing people. They didn't show any actual evidence thouh. Maybe it is true or maybe not.*shrug*

O cripes why did you say that now every time the phone rings I will pee my pants.

I suppose they keep up w/ technology, if you believe movies like 'White Noise', why wouldn't they be able to infiltrate cell phones and computers?

*Shudder*

Danny62 Guest
    Anyone ever get a call that comes up with 000-000-0000? I get them quite frequent and no one is on the other end. I am sure its some glitch or something? Just wondering anyone has had this happen too?

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Anyone ever get a call that comes up with 000-000-0000? I get them quite frequent and no one is on the other end. I am sure its some glitch or something? Just wondering anyone has had this happen too?

Yup- I have received those. I can't recall if I answered them or not.

Deathgoddess Guest
    I get them at work and they are from a company that uses overseas workers for customer support. SO whenever i get a 000-0000 i know it is coming from Cambodia or something.

Oo, what a creepy good story!

I want text messages and emails from the dead. It would make my hum-drum life a lot more interesting!

b57hrle Guest
    I remember this story I read in one of Troy Taylor's books, they are really cool books... heres a link to it ...

http://www.prairieghosts.com/h_lawn.html

motherogod Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    I've heard these are computers seeing when the best time to call you is... if you answer at 5:30, haha a live person will call you another day at 5:30.

But this story! Boogedy, boogedy, boogedy! I LOVED IT! Almost expected there to be a hook hanging off the side of the coffin.

Direct communication is still best.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RaRaRamona Guest

Danny62 Guest
    Have you ever seen the Boris Karloff's "Thriller" series from the 1960's?

Seriously scary shit to watch at night. If you love a good ghost story you should get some episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

ktkatinmn Guest
    That story kind of reminded me of the old radio show 'Mystery Theater'. I used to listen to that show on my little radio when I went to bed at night as a child. The cheesy stories with the awful sound effects...I have found a site that has all those shows and listen to them while I'm cooking dinner. http://www.cbsrmt.com/ Enjoy =)

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Direct communication is still best.
    Nope, you are not coming in clearly LOL

Great story! The plot also reminds me a bit of one my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, Night Call. In the episode, an old woman keeps getting what at first seem to be prank calls at night. Eventually the telephone company traces the calls to a downed line in her local cemetery. The line is down over the grave of her former fiancee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Call

This IS a REAL place (Highland Lawn Cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana), and the story of the phone installation IS true, but at some point the cables and poles were removed, whether before or after Mrs. Sheets's death the Findagrave article does not specify. The couple is interred there with their only child, 13-month-old Ethel.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=sheets&GSiman=1&GScid=85370&GRid=15898151&

Last edited by Linnie; 05-07-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    This IS a REAL place (Highland Lawn Cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana), and the story of the phone installation IS true, but at some point the cables and poles were removed, whether before or after Mrs. Sheets's death the Findagrave article does not specify. The couple is interred there with their only child, 13-month-old Ethel.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=sheets&GSiman=1&GScid=85370&GRid=15898151&

Creepy good! How sad they lost their baby...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!