Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrities who've escaped death

GrinReaper Guest

Celebrities who've escaped death

Waylon Jennings almost got on the plane with Buddy Holly and the others.

Jerry Garcia was in a diabetic coma for at least five days.

Anyone else who came close only to die later or to keep on living?

pvezz Guest
    Didn't David Crosby have a transplant of some sort?

Suzanne30 Guest
    Montgomery Clift crashed his car into a tree after leaving a party at Elizabeth Taylor's home. Kevin McCarthy witnessed the accident, and saved Clift from choking to death, after two teeth lodged in his throat. He also had to have major facial reconstructive surgery afterwards.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Didn't David Crosby have a transplant of some sort?
    Yeah liver. From all the alcohol and drug abuse.

Danny62 Guest
    Ozzy Osbourne...

I am sure he has a contract with the grim reaper anyway!!!

ComputerGuy Guest
    Keith Richards?

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Gloria Estafan, didnt she have some brain thing?

onehunglow Guest
    Hell yeah. That woman traffic reporter. Crashed once and then gets back in and dies.

mommafreak Guest
    Gloria was in a bus accident and broke her back..... I think. May have had some brain thing too.

Liz taylor... that woman is superwoman!

Lobsters Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    Montgomery Clift crashed his car into a tree after leaving a party at Elizabeth Taylor's home. Kevin McCarthy witnessed the accident, and saved Clift from choking to death, after two teeth lodged in his throat. He also had to have major facial reconstructive surgery afterwards.
    I bet Liz sent flowers.

Owen Wilson! Didn't try hard enough!

RubySlippers Guest
    MArk Wahlberg was supposed to be on one of the planes during 9/11. He partied too hard the night before and skipped it. YIKES. Survivor's guilt, much? He doesn't like to talk about. Understandably so.

Margaret Thatcher - on October 12/84, an IRA bomb exploded at the Brighton Hotel where Thatcher was staying. Most of the damage in Thatcher's room was done to the bathroom. Thatcher was using the bathroom just 2 minutes before the explosion. She continued with her scheduled speech the next day. 5 people were killed. An interesting note: the IRA had set the bomb 3 weeks before the explosion using a long time delay. Amazing that it was not discovered in any security sweep.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Waylon Jennings almost got on the plane with Buddy Holly and the others.

Jerry Garcia was in a diabetic coma for at least five days.

Anyone else who came close only to die later or to keep on living?
    Peter Sellers: Hear attack/NDE in 1964. Actually died in 1980.

I always have to wonder what it's like for actors to come back from the brink of death....only to end up making crap films. Peter Sellers made some great movies, but he made his fair share of clinkers, too.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Margaret Thatcher - on October 12/84, an IRA bomb exploded at the Brighton Hotel where Thatcher was staying. Most of the damage in Thatcher's room was done to the bathroom. Thatcher was using the bathroom just 2 minutes before the explosion.
    Thank God she got out in time. I mean, wouldn't dying of a huge explosion in the bathroom be the ultimate "who farted?"

Shes Not There Guest
    Sharon Stone, I think she had a brain aneuryism (sp?)...

Jason Priestly - Aug 22/02 at Kentucky Speedway. Driving 180 mph in a practice run. Seriously hurt but seems to have fully recovered. Lucky bastard.

dirk diggler Guest
    Eric Clapton I think was supposed to be on the helicopter that killed Stevie Ray Vaughn.......

Well maybe not..
    The musicians expected a long bus ride back to Chicago. Vaughan was informed by a member of Clapton's crew that three seats were open on one of the helicopters returning to Chicago with Clapton's crew, enough for Vaughan, Jimmie Vaughan, and Jimmie Vaughan's wife Connie. It turned out there was only one seat left, which Stevie Ray Vaughan requested from his brother, who obliged. Vaughan strapped himself next to Clapton's crew. It was 12:44 am. Pilot Jeffrey Browne guided the copter off the ground as the lights flashed below. Moments after takeoff, the helicopter crashed into a ski slope. All on board were killed instantly.
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 10-25-2007 at 05:00 AM.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    hank williams jr, fell off ajax mountain and had to have his face rebuilt.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    lets not forget michael jacksons "blazing hair" in that pepsi commercial!!!

I dropped dead of a heart attack on October 11th, 1997! The "sucky" part of it is that I didn't see a bright light of anything! I'll tell you this....I'm not afraid anymore!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I dropped dead of a heart attack on October 11th, 1997! The "sucky" part of it is that I didn't see a bright light of anything! I'll tell you this....I'm not afraid anymore!

thats intriguing what did you see to make you not afraid anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    lets not forget michael jacksons "blazing hair" in that pepsi commercial!!!
    Geez that's a scary pic

I don't think it was so much what I saw, but the fact that it happened so fast that I didn't know what hit me. It really doesn't hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Fidel Castro
    Billy Graham
    Nikki Six

Danse Macabre Guest
    Jerry Lewis

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Keith Richards?
    '

I was gonna say keith, he must be on his 10th life...

Also, Mark Wahlberg was scheduled to be on th 9-11 flight from NJ or the other airport back east to L.A., and that flight plowed into one of the twin towers, apparently he decided at the last minute to not go..

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Eileen Brennan was lucky to pull through after being run over by a car. That was right after "Private Benjamin" and she and Goldy Hawn had become buddies, they'd just had dinner together. The car plowed into her literally just a couple feet away from Goldy. She had a rough recuperation, lots of serious injuries.

Michael Jackson receiving a burn is hardly a brush with death, IMO. My ex was burned over 70% of his body when he was three. I think that's closer to 'brush with death.'

Liz Taylor's brushes have been serious -- it's amazing she didn't dirt-nap a couple of times at least.

Gary Busey almost bought it in a bike wreck.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    George Carlin once joked that he's ahead of Richard Pryor in the "Heart Attack" category, but that Pryor was still in the lead for attempting a one-man celebrity roast the hard way. [Paraphrased.]

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Barbara Mandrell was in a very serious car accident in 1984 (?). She nearly died.

31. 12-02-2007, 07:04 AM

janewayne31 Guest
    How about Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue? He overdosed twice, the first time was on Feb. 14, 1986 and the second was Dec. 23, 1987. The second time he was declared dead only to be revived by paramedics with two adrenaline shots to the heart.

mgpm Guest
    Stephen King...walking when reading..not a good idea.

I think Michael Jackson should be arrested and charged for the damage he's done to himself! No matter how many times you see him, it's still shocking to look at him.

ajlposh Guest
    Phyllis Diller once got really sick, and was not expected to live much longer, but she is still alive and kicking.

Ronald Reagan - March 30, 1981 - that bullet was just inches away from his heart.

seanikhy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    Geez that's a scary pic
    is that a real pic?

FannyB1923 Guest
    I feel like I've dodged the bullet twice.
    The first time when I had an emergency C-section when my daughter was born. I know in an earlier time neither of us would have made it.

The second time, my gallbladder went punk on me. I had an idiot doctor that put off doing the surgery for some reason (he didn't speak English very well and we might have had a failure to communicate) But I had hepatitis from June to September! When I got tired of being sick saw another doctor and had the surgery I needed right away! I think if I'd stayed with the first doctor much longer I would have croaked!

Guest Guest
    Nicky Taylor-serious car accident

Me - when I was 7 my dad was taking prescription pills to get him off drugs (crack)....I asked him what he was taking he told me..Daddy's candy......well... first chance I got I took and ate a handful of it....... I was burning up with fever, sweating, heart pounding, and shaking hard...my mom saw this.... found open bottle and stuck her fingers down my throat....kicked dad out.

I attempted suicide several times...last time I took half a bottle of Dexedrine....don't remember anything for 6 or 7 months

I almost died from liver failure because of a botched gallbladder removal (was 4 months pregnant)....you can see my scarred/ adhesion covered intestines on my hagspace............my son came out perfect and beautiful..I'm scarred for life inside and out.....

3 very close calls but hey, I am bullet proof.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Rick Allen, one armed drummer for Def Leppard.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gorey Guest
    I attempted suicide once but didn't come close. I did have an illness that on Dec. 14 2001, I went into respiratory arrest and was clinically dead. Obviously the fire dept and hosp were able to bring me back. I didn't see white light or dead relatives or anything. I was on a demon roller coaster of headless torsos before I woke up. I don't remember anything from about 10 minutes before until I opened my eyes and saw my brother and husband.

lostsoul23 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    MArk Wahlberg was supposed to be on one of the planes during 9/11. He partied too hard the night before and skipped it. YIKES. Survivor's guilt, much? He doesn't like to talk about. Understandably so.
    So was Nick Lachey and Seth McFarlane (Family Guy creator.)

I have cheated death once. About to do it again too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    Rick Allen, one armed drummer for Def Leppard.
    What has nine arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

Billy Idol had a bad bike wreck. Slash from Guns 'n Roses OD'd. He has had a pacemaker since age 35, he has fucked himself up that badly. Phil Anselmo from Pantera/Superjoint Ritual/Down OD'd and had to be brought back. (Damn shame,too.) Kurt Cobain OD'd and then blew his brains out not long afterward.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Phyllis Diller once got really sick, and was not expected to live much longer, but she is still alive and kicking.
    She was in a car accident in Cambridge, Ontario that killed her chauffeur.
    And she was like 150 then....

I'm not sure if he counts as a "celebrity", but journalist Bob Woodruff comes to mind.

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Ted Kennedy. Chappaquitic?......................Oh. Wait.....................I thought this was the Who Escaped Prosecution Thread.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Um, Oct 11 is national coming out day, not national checking out day.

When I was almost 2, my family and I were headed up the highway from a restaurant when a drunk in a pickup hit us head on. I was thrown through the windshield and landed on the pavement. One of my great uncles happened by and saw the whole thing. I was in hospital for three days in a coma and they didn't know if I would live or die, or if I lived whether I would be brain damaged or not. But I made a complete recovery.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

jay Guest
    I died twice both in car accidents.

First one blew a tire on my car, it swung sideways caught in the dirt and rolled 3 times, i only remember the first roll. My CB radio came loose from under the dash and nailed me in the head. I died in the ambulance enroute to the hospital and was brought back. Was in a coma for a week, once i came out of it my first words
    "how bad's the car"

Second one was t-boned on the drivers door and was dead in the car when paramedics arrived, but once again i was brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I died twice both in car accidents.

First one blew a tire on my car, it swung sideways caught in the dirt and rolled 3 times, i only remember the first roll. My CB radio came loose from under the dash and nailed me in the head. I died in the ambulance enroute to the hospital and was brought back. Was in a coma for a week, once i came out of it my first words
    "how bad's the car"

Second one was t-boned on the drivers door and was dead in the car when paramedics arrived, but once again i was brought back.

Hooray for the Paramagics!!!
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leevancleef Guest
    GENE VINCENT....He was in the taxi that crashed an killed Eddie Cochran, and he had many health problems in the following years. He finally died in 1971 from a stomach ulcer.